• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wet conditions on the Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What a good idea that is! I can see myself now, as Toad, in "Wind in the Willows", going down the stream with Badger, Ratty and Mole running along the bank in pursuit.
Thank you very much Kitsambler!
Gerard

Go for it!

http://www.shelter-systems.com/kayak.html
http://www.shelter-systems.com/kayak.html
Or better still

http://koti.kapsi.fi/hvartial/coracle/coracle.htm

Which you could turn upside down and sleep under at night - instant refugio!

May we come along and watch?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Would the Irish pilgrims, who recently sailed, be willing to lend their boat? see or maybe they could start a new life as ferrymen. I cannot find the link :(

Maybe this will finally lead to agreement about the wisdom of waterproof footwear... :D:D:D

No, it doesn't - when you see proper adventurers crossing rivers, they will typically take off their shoes and socks and put them on their shoulders to keep them dry
PS and why they need to use their poles I have no idea

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
why they need to use their poles I have no idea
? Maybe you are joking? o_O I have never been in that situation. However, my first thought is that I wouldn't attempt it without poles for balance, especially in moving water and when wearing a backpack which would make me top heavy. If the water isn't clear, I'd also want the poles to test for footing.

However, maybe I'd find that the poles were not functional in that way in such deep water, and it is just a placebo. Can anyone comment?

Some people just don't use their noggins.
Don't you think they'd use a pack cover.
I would've worn me poncho at least.
This is the first time I've disagreed with GerardCarey (sorry).
On our last Camino my kids did not use pack covers, but instead used Macpac waterproof liners - despite a serious amount of rain, and sometimes torrential, and despite their packs being absolutely sodden, not one drop got into their gear. (I still prefer my Packa raincoat, but this was a good alternative we tried after finding pack covers to be less than perfect. Of course, a pack cover as well would have been a good option this spring but we were cutting weight)

? Maybe you are joking? o_O I have never been in that situation. However, my first thought is that I wouldn't attempt it without poles for balance, especially in moving water and when wearing a backpack which would make me top heavy. If the water isn't clear, I'd also want the poles to test for footing.

However, maybe I'd find that the poles were not functional in that way in such deep water, and it is just a placebo. Can anyone comment?
@C clearly
I have used a walking stick for river crossings since Wally, a backcountry warden in Jasper National Park, instructed me in their use many years ago. Face the flow of the river and place your walking stick upstream of you in the water. Lean on it with both hands as necessary, using it for balance. Walk sideways across the current to the opposite bank, placing the stick in the current upstream of you, a little ahead of your route. A stick helps to keep one's balance in the current and when negotiating an irregular bottom with rolling rocks. I have learned two important things since: 1. a stick which you pick up on the bank may break halfway across, dumping you in the river; 2. an expensive purchased walking stick, if collapsible, will take in water and collapse while you are partway across. I would expect that the same is true of some poles. I do not use walking poles, which is partly illogical, as I have not come across difficult river crossings on the camino. But I am used to using a stick for balance wherever I walk. The poles in the photo do not appear to me to have any function, as the water looks more like a lake than a river and has a fairly level bottom. I would not use walking poles for this purpose: comparatively fragile and most are collapsible.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@C clearly
I have used a walking stick for river crossings since Wally, a backcountry warden in Jasper National Park, instructed me in their use many years ago. Face the flow of the river and place your walking stick upstream of you in the water. Lean on it with both hands as necessary, using it for balance. Walk sideways across the current to the opposite bank, placing the stick in the current upstream of you, a little ahead of your route. A stick helps to keep one's balance in the current and when negotiating an irregular bottom with rolling rocks. I have learned two important things since: 1. a stick which you pick up on the bank may break halfway across, dumping you in the river; 2. an expensive purchased walking stick, if collapsible, will take in water and collapse while you are partway across. I would expect that the same is true of some poles. I do not use walking poles, which is partly illogical, as I have not come across difficult river crossings on the camino. But I am used to using a stick for balance wherever I walk. The poles in the photo do not appear to me to have any function, as the water looks more like a lake than a river and has a fairly level bottom. I would not use walking poles for this purpose: comparatively fragile and most are collapsible.
Some interesting points to consider - in particular, facing upstream while stepping sideways, and using a solid stick instead of hollow poles. Thanks!

@C clearly
If you look really closely in my first picture above, you'll see the guy who is helping us cross is using his pole in exactly the way mentioned. He also instructed the kids to face upstream and walk sideways. Unfortunately you do not have to look too closely to see son did not follow the admonition to keep his arms locked across his front at all times - the water was cold (you can see *that* on his face) and he let go a little subconsciously hoping to avoid the deeper patch! Of course it was not life-threatening, although I doubt the girls would have managed to cross on their own - the current was swift and the rocky bottom quite uneven.
If I had had my way, the kids would also have undone the hipbelts on their packs so that they could flip out of them if necessary, but this lovely guy who had stopped in the rain knowing that we would soon be coming and could use a hand across the stream which was rising quite fast, assured me there was no need - he would not let go of the youngest! When I crossed with the other two, we undid out packs because I was not so confident of my own ability. By the way, the pole was priceless in finding the bottom and steadying against the flow.

If you look really closely in my first picture above, you'll see the guy who is helping us cross is using his pole in exactly the way mentioned. He also instructed the kids to face upstream and walk sideways. Unfortunately you do not have to look too closely to see son did not follow the admonition to keep his arms locked across his front at all times - the water was cold (you can see *that* on his face) and he let go a little subconsciously hoping to avoid the deeper patch! Of course it was not life-threatening, although I doubt the girls would have managed to cross on their own - the current was swift and the rocky bottom quite uneven.
If I had had my way, the kids would also have undone the hipbelts on their packs so that they could flip out of them if necessary, but this lovely guy who had stopped in the rain knowing that we would soon be coming and could use a hand across the stream which was rising quite fast, assured me there was no need - he would not let go of the youngest! When I crossed with the other two, we undid out packs because I was not so confident of my own ability. By the way, the pole was priceless in finding the bottom and steadying against the flow.

@Kiwi-family
It is very common in the Canadian Rocky Mountain parks to instruct hikers to undo their waist belts when crossing rivers and major streams. I tried it once. It put me extremely off balance. I prefer to retain my balance and avoid flipping over into the river. Of course, this is with a pack that is at least twice the weight of what I carry on camino. I really need to be stable when doing river crossings. Your crew appears to be managing very well, with a little help from a friend.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Reminds of me when I walked the via de la plata - had to cross a number of creeks including one that waist deep. This was followed a few days by a freak snow storm.

@Kiwi-family and @Albertagirl - I did a bit of the VdlP in March, seemingly before the high waters and before I had to change plans for other reasons. Now I am very keen to get out there and test this new knowledge!

It is very common in the Canadian Rocky Mountain parks to instruct hikers to undo their waist belts when crossing rivers and major streams. I tried it once. It put me extremely off balance. I prefer to retain my balance and avoid flipping over into the river.
This illustrates how each of us needs to have some knowledge and then assess the risks as they apply in each case! I would be inclined to undo the belt, but I walk with only a 7 kg pack. I can see the point about the heavier pack!

The picture also reminds of when my wife and I hiked the Abel Tasman coastal track in New Zealand and we crossed Torrent Bay estuary during high tide.

I was able to locate a sand bar that crisscrossed the entire estuary. I stripped down to my swimsuit, and waded across carrying my backpack above my head. I returned, and I repeated the same process carrying my wife's pack above my head. During the crossing, the water got so deep that I was barely able to carry the pack above my shoulders, without it touching the water.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The picture also reminds of when my wife and I hiked the Abel Tasman coastal track in New Zealand and we crossed Torrent Bay estuary during high tide.

I was able to locate a sand bar that crisscrossed the entire estuary. I stripped down to my swimsuit, and waded across carrying my backpack above my head. I returned, and I repeated the same process carrying my wife's pack above my head. During the crossing, the water got so deep that I was barely able to carry the pack above my shoulders, without it touching the water.
@jirit
I was thinking that the photo reminded me of New Zealand. I walked part of the Abel Tasman track a couple of years ago, but did not overnight on it or attempt any water crossings.

@jirit
I was thinking that the photo reminded me of New Zealand. I walked part of the Abel Tasman track a couple of years ago, but did not overnight on it or attempt any water crossings.

Actually the photo reminds of a gorge on the island of Crete that my wife and I hiked.

During the wet season the water can run high.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No, it doesn't - when you see proper adventurers crossing rivers, they will typically take off their shoes and socks and put them on their shoulders to keep them dry
PS and why they need to use their poles I have no idea
No, you take off your trousers and socks to keep them dry (ever tried walking in soused kecks?) but put your boots back on cos you don't want to step on a sharp stone and lose the lot.

It's closer to home ;). The photo was taken at Washington Olympic Peninsula by photographer Ian Coble, see Mountain Hardwear . The backpacks are Mountain Hardwear Outdry backpacks which have a watertight main compartment.

See also http://blog.iancoble.com/behind-the-scenes-mountain-hardwear-commercial-shoot/
Excellent work. This photo popped up on a Facebook hill walking page here at home and I thought it was an excellent one. It also reminded me of all the discussions on waterproof boots, shoes and other gear.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No, you take off your trousers and socks to keep them dry (ever tried walking in soused kecks?) but put your boots back on cos you don't want to step on a sharp stone and lose the lot.
@Jeff Crawley
You are partly right: trousers, sock, boots off. Running shoes on. They can be tied to the pack and are often dry when you arrive in camp. I only wear boots for river crossings when I feel that I must for stability. Wet boots can take two or three days to dry even in dry weather.

crossing a stream with a pack fully belted has resulted in bad outcomes when someone slips and gets pinned (even on top of the pack belly up) or more seriously, if swept downstream snagging said pack on branches and debris
As for removing trousers to cross, I think I'll save the world from these pale legs and keep mine on!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is the first time I've disagreed with GerardCarey (sorry).
On our last Camino my kids did not use pack covers, but instead used Macpac waterproof liners - despite a serious amount of rain, and sometimes torrential, and despite their packs being absolutely sodden, not one drop got into their gear. (I still prefer my Packa raincoat, but this was a good alternative we tried after finding pack covers to be less than perfect. Of course, a pack cover as well would have been a good option this spring but we were cutting weight)
No no! You are quiet correct. I was being facetious as to those underwater people in wayfarers photograph.
Mind you I do quite enjoy the ridiculous appearance I must present in my Altus. Except for one day when I had to walk thru Paris in the rain. I kept my head down hoping not to attract the attention of the fashion police.
Regards
Gerard

It has certainly sparked a lively discussion :).

I was initially convinced that it was photoshopped, that's why I was determined to find the original. And when I had found it, I felt the photographer deserved some credit :).
I saw it on the page "Amazing World Places" that is why I mentioned them in the OP.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We have returned home to a very rainy winter and six weeks later the kids are still saying "At least we're not walking in it".
We look back with fondness on our Via de la Plata, but it was surely very wet. (And also got into the 30s, so there was quite a range)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We
We have returned home to a very rainy winter and six weeks later the kids are still saying "At least we're not walking in it".
We look back with fondness on our Via de la Plata, but it was surely very wet. (And also got into the 30s, so there was quite a range)
Welcome home and I admire your stamina and perseverance .!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.