• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wet feet and socks

Lisa Welsman

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France 2015 considering now Camino del Norte or Portuguese 2017
My friend and i will be walking Camino France in May/June 2017. Does anyone have any ideas for how to avoid blisters caused when boots and socks get wet from walking in rain ?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My friend and i will be walking Camino France in May/June 2017. Does anyone have any ideas for how to avoid blisters caused when boots and socks get wet from walking in rain ?

there are different kind of waterproof socks, some of them work fine for trail running in cold, wet weather and crossing streams. in the summer I would not bother very much about wet feet. normally a proper shoe/sock combination will not inevitably cause blisters when wet. if uncomfortable one can temporary switch to sandals/crocs/slippers. in general, taping the hotspots is a must, dry or wet.
for me rather thin compression socks work well. they tightly wrap the feet, reducing swelling and promoting blood circulation, and protect from excessive rubbing.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
there are different kind of waterproof socks, some of them work fine for trail running in cold, wet weather and crossing streams. in the summer I would not bother very much about wet feet. normally a proper shoe/sock combination will not inevitably cause blisters when wet. if uncomfortable one can temporary switch to sandals/crocs/slippers. in general, taping the hotspots is a must, dry or wet.
for me rather thin compression socks work well. they tightly wrap the feet, reducing swelling and promoting blood circulation, and protect from excessive rubbing.
Thank you for this advice

Myself I use waterproof shoes and rain pants, this has always kept my feet dry. If you don't want to wear rain pants then short gaters that fit over the boot/shoe are an option.
Thankyou

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Rain? I walked the CF from mid August to the end of September last year. The only rain we had was in Leon, and that was on a rest day. You might get lucky like we did.

I've walked the Camino in all seasons except winter.
I walk in regular New Balance trail shoes or runners.
I've never experienced feet so wet that it's an issue.
One reason is because my ALTUS poncho goes to my ankles and keeps my feet dry.
The second reason is because if it is pouring rain, I stop, take shelter until it lightens up.
I had to wear goretex boots back in my USFWS days - they're the worst thing for blisters as they hold sweat/water in, imo.

Hi Lisa, always use waterproof boots or shoes where ever I walk.
Works for me.
Wish you both a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Over four caminos, I found that wearing light, microfiber liner socks with thicker Smart Wool outer socks for cushioning, wicked most of the water from my feet, while providing excellent friction protection and cushioning. Wool insulates and cushions even when wet. The thinner liner sock reduces friction and helps to keep my feet drier.

On my, mostly April-May Caminos, I have walked with sodden feet in torrential downpours, as well as slogged through ankle-deep wet snow and mud. My boots are Keen Targhee II mid-high Gore Tex boots that are "waterproof." FYI, they run 1/2 size SMALLER than listed.

My point in relating this is that I have never had a single blister in all my walking. This said, there is always a first time. I just got lucky and found the right combination of sock and footwear for me, early on.

I hope this helps.

Rain is more likely in May than in September (but who knows these days!). We wear trail runners and liners. Somehow, I don't get blisters this way. Occasionally they do get soaking wet, but you can stop and wring out the socks, or change them. Trail runners dry fast; when boots get wet, they take forever to dry--but you can stuff your shoes with newspaper and it helps.
You have hit upon one of the biggest forum debate topics--trail runners or boots, :), but everyone agrees that everyone's feet are different! Good luck.

It is long overdue for the myth that wet feet = blisters to die.

Wet feet do not cause blisters. Warm & wet feet are the problem. Humid feet. Humid feet happen when wearing non-breathable, non-draining, slow-drying footwear that gets wet inside (from rain and/or sweat) and stays wet and warm. The problem is exacerbated, of course, by ill-fitting footwear or sock choice.

Boots, especially waterproof ones, are harder to fit correctly, and more likely to stay wet when they get wet, get humid from sweat on non-rainy days, and cause other foot issues as well.

Absent a true medical need, boots are, in general, overkill - and more problem-prone - for 3-season hiking and backpacking.

Now at this point, I should insert the usual disclaimer..... everyone's feet are different, etc, etc..... sure, yes, true.

But, it drives me a little crazy that newbie hikers/backpackers (common on the camino boards) are still immersed in myths and outdated info about footwear and hiking/packing norms.

Wear boots if you really want to. But don't wear them just because you think you are supposed to.
(fyi - mid-boots don't offer significant ankle protection either. Another myth.)

So I guess my tl;dr answer to your question, "Does anyone have any ideas for how to avoid blisters caused when boots and socks get wet from walking in rain?" would be "Don't wear boots."

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Waterproof socks in my opinion are over the top - instead you should be bringing three or four pairs of socks so that you can change them frequently during the day (rain or no rain)

changing wet socks when in rain does not work, the new pair will be wet in no time. when they are wet from perspiration - yes it is a good idea.

It is long overdue for the myth that wet feet = blisters to die.

Wet feet do not cause blisters. Warm & wet feet are the problem. Humid feet. Humid feet happen when wearing non-breathable, non-draining, slow-drying footwear that gets wet inside (from rain and/or sweat) and stays wet and warm. The problem is exacerbated, of course, by ill-fitting footwear or sock choice.

Boots, especially waterproof ones, are harder to fit correctly, and more likely to stay wet when they get wet, get humid from sweat on non-rainy days, and cause other foot issues as well.

Absent a true medical need, boots are, in general, overkill - and more problem-prone - for 3-season hiking and backpacking.

Now at this point, I should insert the usual disclaimer..... everyone's feet are different, etc, etc..... sure, yes, true.

But, it drives me a little crazy that newbie hikers/backpackers (common on the camino boards) are still immersed in myths and outdated info about footwear and hiking/packing norms.

Wear boots if you really want to. But don't wear them just because you think you are supposed to.
(fyi - mid-boots don't offer significant ankle protection either. Another myth.)

So I guess my tl;dr answer to your question, "Does anyone have any ideas for how to avoid blisters caused when boots and socks get wet from walking in rain?" would be "Don't wear boots."

completely agree, just sometimes terrain and load demands something more serious than sneakers. but yes, it is not Camino Frances in summer. a while ago I was suggesting sandals as the best alternative, but then again, there might be "weak ankle" syndrome. most of CF I walked in sandals. there were just a couple of stretches where I felt their support was inadequate. but I saw a number of fellow pilgrims with their feet ruined in mountaineering boots. there are plenty of choices for non-waterproof, well-aired, well cushioned, stable trail running or hybrid shoes, which perhaps is the safest way to go.
regarding the socks I have tried many brands, and have to say, if you live in a country where Lidl Crivit socks are available, look no further. their blisterfree and compression ones are as good as any big names just for a fraction of price. hope this helps :)

completely agree, just sometimes terrain and load demands something more serious than sneakers. but yes, it is not Camino Frances in summer. a while ago I was suggesting sandals as the best alternative, but then again, there might be "weak ankle" syndrome. most of CF I walked in sandals. there were just a couple of stretches where I felt their support was inadequate. but I saw a number of fellow pilgrims with their feet ruined in mountaineering boots. there are plenty of choices for non-waterproof, well-aired, well cushioned, stable trail running or hybrid shoes, which perhaps is the safest way to go.
regarding the socks I have tried many brands, and have to say, if you live in a country where Lidl Crivit socks are available, look no further. their blisterfree and compression ones are as good as any big names just for a fraction of price. hope this helps :)

Thanks for the sock tip - they don't seem to be available in the US, at first googling. But I've seen Lidl stores in Spain, as a possible sock replacement source, perhaps?

I'm currently exclusively Balega. Their small sock fits me perfectly, no binding or looseness. Drynamix fabric, quick drying, cushioned in the right places, no-show w/ a heel tab, durable, not excessively expensive..... Balega Hidden Comfort is the variety I currently favor.

I like to add a little extra compression in my arches without using an all-over compression sock. These do the trick - Zensah Arch Support Sleeves - very thin under my socks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Fortunately, lots of the time the rain in Spain is pretty short-lived - normally stops just as soon as you've put your rain jacket on!

well, it is not exactly the case in Galicia or on camino Aragones ...

well, it is not exactly the case in Galicia or on camino Aragones ...
I know Galacia is supposed to be rainy, but on my Camino, I never experienced one day of rain all the way to Finesterre and Muxia...I had full sun! It was the 3rd week of May in 2015.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Lisa

The footwear you choose is a very personal question but as an experienced 20 year trekker, I can't imagine doing such a trek in cross-trainers but that's just me. And folks on the forum I'm not opening up another debate on the pros or cons of either :) But I prefer dry and well supported feet and ankles. The best brand for me, and I have smallish but broad feet, is the Austrian Lowe brand and I run in Asics for the same reason. But it all depends on your own feet, which are unique to you. However, a little trick taught to me years ago is that when you have a substantial break, give your feet, socks and boots a break as well. Assuming it's a dry day, when you stop for lunch, take off your boots and socks. Let your feet, socks and boots have a chance to breathe and dry out. My tootsies have always said thank you ;)

Hope this helps and happy trails

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have extra socks and use Vasaline, stop and rest every two hours take off shoes let them dry.

I have found that taking a little travel hair dryer ("little" being the important word here) to dry the socks and insides of the boots
helped tremendously.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't think there's much risk of blistering from walking in wet socks and boots -- in my experience, the water acts as a cushion against the abrasive phenomena that can cause blisters.

OTOH, take everything off immediately (and very carefully) at the end of your day's hike, don't even wait for more than a brief polite greeting on arrival at the refugio. Let your feet dry out naturally and completely before putting on dry socks (assuming your pack remained successfully dry inside) ; which will take no more than a few minutes. Staying barefoot til you've registered, had your credencial stamped, and found your bed will easily do the trick.

Residual dampness in the morning if conditions prevent drying out completely overnight is really not much of a problem either, just a discomfort.

erm, you yourself point out that everyone's feet and therefore needs are different, and in my own particular case, the ankle protection that is precisely given by such boots is a need of mine, both on and off the Camino -- without it, due to my morphology, I am highly susceptible to tripping over and sprains. Even on walks to the shop.

For "Joe Pilgrim" in his typical needs, you would be generally right -- but it's not a "myth", it's a specific need in some specific circumstances, which aren't those of the "average" Joe Pilgrim.

The type of boots I wear are generally only recommendable for the Camino in cases where someone might need to follow a route involving lots of tarmac as well as the potential for variable terrain and conditions on the way to joining up on one of the principal routes, because that's the sort of marching that army boots are specifically designed for -- although as stated, the support they provide for weak or abnormal ankles is not a myth. AND since the development of the Paris/Tours, Vézelay, and Arles routes next to Le Puy since the '90s, as well as the secondary routes through Spain, the need to prepare for such terrain and conditions has also diminished considerably.

Except on a winter pilgrimage.

I do not recommend the type of boots that I must OTOH use myself. They're good, and they'll do the job for you, and they're fantastic in wet conditions -- but they're very heavy, and they need serious getting used to in hot & dry conditions (though they do give good insulation protection on baking hot walking surfaces).

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.