• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wet feet

Ricav

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)Porto to Santiago;Santiago to Finisterre
Preparing for my first Camino (Portugues) in one month. I'm well set on shoes with Vasque trail runners, not waterproof, and a two sock system that works for me. My only concern is wet feet which we all know puts us at risk for blisters. Footwear is always a compromise. How have others of you addressed this weakness of trail runner shoes getting wet?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked, last time, in Hoka One Ones which are just mesh on top. Thankfully fromt Porto you rarely set foot on grass that may wet your socks. But if you do, or if it rains, keep using vaseline, Bag bal, Vick's, what have you, to create a barrier. I use HOOs because they are ultra light and it was a test. But I love my Salomon Ultra 2 GTX. Also, feminine hygene pads, which absorb liquids, are use by savy walkers. Which brand is best for the Camino I couldn't tell you, or pee vs "." pads, either :eek:.

I wore trail runners and my feet got soaked a few times, once when I walked through wet grass to avoid mud, and a couple of times when the Camino Invierno turned into a stream. I didn't find wet feet to be a big problem, as my shoes (mesh tops) started drying while I was walking in the sun, or, after a rainy day, pretty much dried overnight. I occasionally helped the drying process along by taking out the insoles and putting my sneakers upside down on a radiator. And no blisters!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walk in sandals but have 2 things to keep my feet safe especially in rain. First I use a cream that gives me a protection. It's a anti shafting cream from Germany the second thing is gore-tex socks. Great when it is pooring down a whole day.

My husband and I walked both caminos in trail runners and it rained heavily both trips. There were unavoidable areas where you had no choice but to step in a deep puddle to get through. We wore wool socks, our feet never got cold and neither of us got a blister. The mesh allowed the shoes to dry and they were usually dry by the time we stopped for the day. The wool socks kept my feet warm and could take overnight to dry. (I brought 3 pair.) I would definitely wear trail runners again.

If you splurge on nothing else weight-wise, splurge on extra socks so you can change them as often as necessary. Even on dry days I changed half way through the day. I brought 3 sets of socks and liners and wished I had another set. Don't forget - on a dank rainy day your socks are unlikely to dry overnight unless you have access to a dryer.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.