• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wet feet

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances/Portuguese/Ingles/Sanabre/Frances/Fineste
I've been happy and relatively blister free walking various Caminos. This year I'll be walking in the Spring and my current shoes (Hokas) do not seem to dry overnight or longer. Any suggestions?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, stuffing them with newspaper (most albergues have a stack in the 'rainy season' or just ask for it in the next bar) does the trick - if you change it regularly. Also, taking out the insoles over night and airing them separately helps.
BC SY

I remove the Dr. Scholl's insoles from my Keen boots, open the laces all the way or remove them, stuff the boots with balled up newspaper, and position them atop the nearest radiator. You can always find old newspaper about.

I place the boots, so prepared, open side DOWN to capture any heat coming from the radiator while I am asleep. I want the heat, if any, to go into the shoe / boot to dry the shoe / boot from the inside out.

I do the radiator thing because, typically, an albergue or hostal will provide an hour or so of heat at about 5:00 or 6:00 solely to get pilgrims up and out. The heat is off all night as it is expensive to operate.

My approach leverages this experience-based knowledge with practical physics - heat rises. It has worked for me every time I have needed it (2x in 6 Caminos).

Hope this helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've been happy and relatively blister free walking various Caminos. This year I'll be walking in the Spring and my current shoes (Hokas) do not seem to dry overnight or longer. Any suggestions?
I appreciate all of the tips for wet feet, what I hoped to find were shoes that dry faster. I have gaiters, merino wool socks, I remove my custom orthotics, changed the shoe laces to synthetic, have tried spritzing with alcohol, newspaper. Thank you again for all the tips, now for new shoes. Any suggestions?

Try some overboots? Take two pairs of very light trainers? 😃 Buen Camino 🙏

I wear Altras, not the gtx models. They dry in no time. With my Darn Tough socks, my feet don't even feel very wet even when I've been sloshing in streams.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Which model of Hoka do you currently have?

Can I suggest that you do not discount wearing leather boots? I know that most walkers prefer the lightweight "trainer" type, however we have worn Hi-tec light leather boots for many years and we do not have wet feet!!! Nor do we get blisters!!!
As a "by the way", we do wear three pairs of socks! ultra light inner, mohair thin middle and mohair padded sole outer. No blisters, no sweat and warm dry feet even in extreme conditions.

Blessings on your preparation :)
Tio Tel

Attachments

• cleaning kit.jpg
    cleaning kit.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 32
  • boots.jpg
    boots.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 31
Good question. I just donated three pair to the thrift store and the current "Red Ones" don't have a label. Part of the drying problem is a very padded tongue.

Jill and I used Hoka Bondi 6, and never really experienced having the shoes still damp from overnight drying. An on this last Camino (Ingles a few weeks ago in October), it rained during most of each day.

I have had shoes which were still slightly damp in the morning, but it was never bothersome and didn't soak through my merino socks. In fact, wearing them helped the final bit of drying out.

One thing I do at the end of the day is to remove the walking insoles, wipe out the interior of the shoe and blot up any water by briefly pressing the toweling or toilet paper or paper towel, etc against the shoe's fabric. I let the shoes air out a bit while I shower or do some chores. Then I put in the extra insoles (which are the lightweight ones the shoe came with, but that I swapped out for a replacement used for walking). I put on a fresh pair of Merino socks, and then I wear the shoes while wandering around looking over the town, eating dinner, etc.

Much of the time, by bed time, the body heat has mostly dried out the shoes. I pull out the extra insoles and stash them away, and put the walking insoles next to the shoes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
All the drying tricks have been discussed above. I have worn Hoka Bondi, and Altra Olympus without drying issues. I stay clear of GoreTex, etc..

Maybe try a Nikwax like product on your shoes. It is waterproofing for the shoe, and not your feet. It might help them to dry faster if they absorb less water. However, I think they would still wet out in a hard rain or puddles.

I have walked in Keen Arroyo II sandals. They dry very fast because they are basically just a sole with webbing on top. I can no longer use them (not enough cushioning for the big Km days that my wife likes to walk, and not stiff enough for my arthritic big toe), but in the rain they are great.

I wore Gore-Tex lined hiking shoes for over 2,500 kilometers then I switched to non waterproof breathable membrane lined shoes. The problem is the membrane pores become blocked with dust and no longer allow the humidity to escape after a couple of hundred kilometers. I tried washing them from the inside and outside but that doesn't cut it. Now I wear highly breathable non membrane hiking shoes. They dry faster when you walk because your feet are about 35 to 37 degrees Celsius and dry better than anything. The shoes will dry better and faster overnight given they are in a dry environment. When it rains there is absolutely nothing you can do to keep the water from seeping down your legs then socks then into your shoes, so change your merino socks every couple of hours. I use low gaiters when there's too much mud or sand because sand and pebbles will wreck your feet in no time flat. When you walk with wet feet try humming Roy Rogers's famous 'Happy Trails' song. Look it up on YouTube. The lyrics:
Some trails are happy ones,
Others are blue.
It's the way you ride the trail that counts,
Here's a happy one for you.
Happy trails to you,
Until we meet again.
Happy trails to you,
Keep smiling until then.
Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
Just sing a song, and bring the sunny weather.
Happy trails to you,
Until we meet again.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Plastic bags tied over dry socks. Works for me all the time!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Plastic bags tied over dry socks. Works for me all the time!
I tried this a few years ago as an emergency measure but my feet slipped around in my boots and the plastic bags got holes in them! It may be that my boots were slightly too big; with socks my feet didn't move in the boots but with slippery plastic bags they moved around.

The Hoka Tor Summit
My feet hate water.
I hear the contention about the extra layer involved in waterproofing increasing the heat being trapped inside.
I haven't found this to be the case.
Maybe that's because I wear only a thin pair of merinos, and my feet are laced snug.
And these have the "Proper" long distance black Vibram soles. Other Hokas have 'coloured' Vibram soles.
These are not long distance but are designed to give traction on slippery surfaces. They squeek and squawk when walking over tiles or linoleum and are designed to be good for racing.
Tor Summits are expensive yes, I waited for sale time before purchasing my first.
I've been waiting 2 years and many ks for then to wear out.
It's not happening.

Why not use "waterproof" socks e.g. Sealskinz (they are not made out of seal skins!).
Sealskinz socks really do keep your feet dry. I wear mine with sandals. I've only needed to use them a couple of times, but they did keep my feet dry.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I tried this a few years ago as an emergency measure but my feet slipped around in my boots and the plastic bags got holes in them! It may be that my boots were slightly too big; with socks my feet didn't move in the boots but with slippery plastic bags they moved around.
The trick is to tie them fairly tight, extend them higher than the boot top and make sure they don't leak from the top. Sometimes a second sack can help in case the bag tears at the bottom. We'll, I guess it's not for everyone, but it's a godsend for me!

Asic Trail runners. The uppers are very light and an open mesh. They dry very quickly. Today I did a 17 klm walk along the beach and over rocks. I had to wade through the sea at several places and so my shoes were completely wet through. By the end of the walk (3 klm over rocks) my shoes were completely dry.

Can I suggest that you do not discount wearing leather boots? I know that most walkers prefer the lightweight "trainer" type, however we have worn Hi-tec light leather boots for many years and we do not have wet feet!!! Nor do we get blisters!!!
As a "by the way", we do wear three pairs of socks! ultra light inner, mohair thin middle and mohair padded sole outer. No blisters, no sweat and warm dry feet even in extreme conditions.

Blessings on your preparation :)
Tio Tel

Hi

My question is how do you stop the rain going down your legs into your boots and pooling inside??

Thx
P

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wear sandals and rarely very light trainers as I get very bad Golfer's Vasculitis and after many years of experimenting that combination works for me. I also found in rainy days my feet in sandals dry out very quickly while walking.

I have walked the Northern Camino in Merrill sandals without any issue in all weathers.

Hi

My question is how do you stop the rain going down your legs into your boots and pooling inside??

Thx
P

By wearing waterproof (breathable) over-trousers under a poncho. If you choose the over-trousers carefully you can find some with side zips that work both ways. It means that they can be put on without removing boots.
This kind of gear does add weight. it depends on your need to keep dry!
DSCF1156.JPG
blessings
Tio Tel

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My over-trousers have no zips but were bought large enough size to get on without having to remove my boots. Less weight and actually lighter than gaiters. Also good for cold mornings ad could be removed when I had warmed up. In the UK both Regatta and Peter Storm make good lightweight over-trousers which I have used.

Without zips there is a technique to getting them on - turn/pull the leg up inside itself so that a muddy boot is sliding down the 'right side' of the fabric. Pull up gradually releasing the turned up leg as you go. Then I take them off by letting them pull 'inside out'. Works every time and worth practising at home before you go.
No wet feet and have walked in some very wet weather.

Take the liners out, dry with balled up newspaper. Have a second pair of insoles which you can use whilst the first dry. Non gore tex shoes might mean you get your feet wet but this is offset by the speed in which they dry out.

I have walked the Northern Camino in Merrill sandals without any issue in all weathers.
The first Camino that I walked exclusively in sandals was also the Norte, and my sandals were also Merrells. Which model did you wear?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Try Keens, Newport H2. All synthetic and dry in an hour.

Why not use "waterproof" socks e.g. Sealskinz (they are not made out of seal skins!).
I tried Sealskinz socks this Jan on the Portugues, unfortunately didn't try them before the Camino as they soak througn in no time! Was a waste to take them for a walk. Seriously, even walking on wet grass after the rain you get wet feet in a short while, not to mention prolonged drizzles and downpoors. And also the feet get cold in them easily, probably due to the rubbery lining, so never again for me. Hm, curious is other brands have the same effect.

The last 2 Caminos I walked in the rain, one Portugues Interior in June was unusually rainy and cool and Portugues Coastal in Jan had a mix of sunshine drizzles and downpours. Not a single blister for 900+km. Wore bedget trail runners from Decathlon. They soak in easily as not waterproof but also get dry rather fast as well. I usually put newspapers in them for the night when available so they were mostly dry in the morning but that is not the most important bit if you start your day in the rain again. What worked for me is applying kinesiology tape on my feet where blisters tend to appear, it works as a prevention and also in case they are just starting - it doesn't allow them to grow and reap, at least it worked for me. Then apply a generous amount of vaselin on the rest of the feet, and and trekking socks on - ready to swim! :) Walking with wet feet doesn't bother me at all now as never felt cold when I walked. Though I tend to get cold easily when I stop walking, so in winter I minimised the rest stops and changed into dry woolen socky in the albergue. Bom Caminho! :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There must have been a break in the membrane as I have poured water out of my boots on occasions but my feet were dry inside my socks although the outside were absolutely soaked.

<—another sandals and Sealskinz socks person here

I have used the waterproof socks a lot on the Camino with zero issues. My socks underneath the Sealskinz have always been dry! As an added bonus they seem to keep my feet extra warm when trudging through the snow in my sandals.

*I wear the tall/calf height socks

The first Camino that I walked exclusively in sandals was also the Norte, and my sandals were also Merrells. Which model did you wear?
Sorry for late reply. No or bad data where we were.
They were the Kahuna III model. Very comfortable. I got about 1000km before they wore out. I got a second pair after and they wore out quicker. I was disappointed with them.
I am currently wearing Quechua NH120 country walking sandals from Decathlon, a shop all over Spain. I took to them straight away and was surprised as they were only €39. I initially got them as a stop gap. I now use them for everyday use and day walking. I will be getting a second pair.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.