• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wet Pilgrims

NomadJMJ

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances May 2017
What happens when lots of very wet pilgrims arrive at albergues? Where do we hang all our wet things? Do bunk areas get real wet?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The hospitaleros run around and tell people strictly to leave their wet stuff OVER THERE, and there always a place to dry stuff indoors/under cover, though it may get very crowded.

There is invariably a smell of wet wool, and stacks of old newspapers are torn up and stuffed into the wet shoes in the hope of getting them dry for the next day.

Some water IS inevitably left on the floor, but those of us carrying crocs for indoor/shower/town use shrug and smile in a superior way while keeping our socks dry. (Walking barefoot indoors is fairly common, too.)

We had a only half a day WITHOUT rain when we walked from Porto to Santiago in 2011, but that kind of weather is unusual - and not too hard to cope with.

The albergue at Fonfria has ingenious hot air ducting pipes to dry shoes and boots on racks. I wish I'd taken a photo when we were there last year - we'd had a day of heavy rain and the pipes were going flat out.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I carry a terry fleeced, microfiber yoga towel (without the grippy dots) as my Camino towel. It is large enough to wrap around my prodigious frame for privacy coming from a shower. Yes, I know that many folks like to carry kerchief-sized towels, but this solution has many practical uses to argue in favor of carrying it. To each his or her own.

Yet, my favorite use is to use to take wrung-out clothing (does not matter how it got wet) roll it, and stomp it to get more water out of the clothing items. The now, just very damp clothing dries quickly.

The wet towel can be used as a privacy divider between too close albergue bunks or a throw, over my sleeping arrangement. It can also be hung anywhere. In either event, it will be dry by morning.

Finally, I chose orange (with a pink piping / border) so I could dry the towel on the outside of my rucksack and it also serves as a safety panel to motorists.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
What happens when lots of very wet pilgrims arrive at albergues? Where do we hang all our wet things? Do bunk areas get real wet?

The secret to staying dry is: Don't get wet.

If you put on your rain gear ... then you don't get wet things. Except rain gear ... and you can fold that up wet for the night and dry it the next day in a few minutes of sun.

Poncho - covers everything so there is only that (and in real bad weather the waterproof trousers) that need drying. Boots - newspaper. We have walked in very wet weather and had no problems. The ponchos and trousers were dry by supper time and back in our packs.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The secret to staying dry is: Don't get wet.

If you put on your rain gear ... then you don't get wet things. Except rain gear ... and you can fold that up wet for the night and dry it the next day in a few minutes of sun.
Understood. I was mainly talking about my dripping wet poncho, pack cover & wet muddy gaiters. Thx.

Some places have "wet rooms", Viana for instance, in others you'll just have to suffer a cold, damp sauna or, as Whariwharangi said - Don't get wet.
"Tech" teeshirts and clothing dries out much quicker than old fashioned cotton but you'll see a lot of sopping wet clothes dumped into driers in the vain hope it will come out dry.
Hopefully it won't rain too much in May - stay warm (and dry!)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Remember, if you do a Camino, you will get wet. Some folks lead charmed lives and only get a day or two of rain over a month-long Camino.

I, on the other hand, seem to attract clouds. In fact, I jokingly tell people when asked that my astrological sign is "cloud." Seriously, if I walk a month from SJPdP to Santiago, it will rain at least 20 of those days. On my last go, from Madrid, it rained the last 10 days straight, from Leon, until hip pain (arthritis) compelled me to pull the plug at Sarria, fer cryin out loud!

So, my admonition to you is to be prepared to get get, walk in the soaking rain or snow, and to deal with it afterwards. It is part of being a pilgrim.

Last edited:

Hola @NomadJMJ - a great question and its one of the reason I bring my own clothes line - a stretchy one (max length 2 mts) - it means I can hang my wet gear anywhere under cover. Good luck

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sept 2013 - 3 days of rain in total throughout a month :) that we encountered anyway

Some fabled albergues have a Spin Dryer :eek:

We did in Grado (Primitivo) when I volunteered there last year!

Every evening as we were closing the albergue, we went over the clothes lines and took everything indoors. What didn't dry overnight, I usually put in the dryer while I prepared breakfast, and I don't think anyone had to walk out with wet clothing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Some fabled albergues have a Spin Dryer :eek:

Electricity across most of Spain is SO EXPENSIVE, that this will remain a fable. Where secadoras (dryers) DO exist, they are rather expensive to use. In these instances, try to buddy up with someone else to dry already washed (clean) clothes to save some Euro.... for the vino tinto...

Electricity across most of Spain is SO EXPENSIVE, that this will remain a fable. Where secadoras (dryers) DO exist, they are rather expensive to use. In these instances, try to buddy up with someone else to dry already washed (clean) clothes to save some Euro.... for the vino tinto...

But a spin dryer is not the same as a tumble dryer!

Hola @NomadJMJ - a great question and its one of the reason I bring my own clothes line - a stretchy one (max length 2 mts) - it means I can hang my wet gear anywhere under cover. Good luck

I like the Idea you have, I have a few meters of paracord and I plan on doing just that. I leave in the next couple of days.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I like the Idea you have, I have a few meters of paracord and I plan on doing just that. I leave in the next couple of days.
Another option. If you're carrying a spare set of boot/shoe laces, they can be combined to form an excellent clothesline. All you need to master is the knot called the Sheet Bend, s0 that you can tie the laces together in such a way that the knot will not bind....

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.