• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Whaaaat?? Pilgrim's Office count 3013 today.

B

BethC

I'd heard that 1500 was an absolute disaster for them. Then in the last month, I've seen a count in the 1600's and another in the 1700's. Could today's be accurate? at 2:30 pm in Spain they had over 1,000 processed through. It's hard to imagine that there is even half the infrastructure needed to support that many pilgrims. One person said here that he'd gone home without a compostela because he had a flight to catch and the lines were so long - anyone in Santiago who can respond about what the situation is there?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It must be all time high- celebrating St James tomorrow.
Ahhh, OK. Thanks, Annie. I knew there was a big Fete coming up, but had no idea it would double the highest count they had in the last 5 years! At least there's a good reason for it and it's not that intermittently the Camino just gets completely slammed inexplicably!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just left Santiago a couple of days ago. The lines were very reasonable. I did not see a line outside the arch to the street and most were much shorter. I was also in Santiago two weeks earlier after completing th Primitivo and was surprised then be quiet streets and lines.
The street and square seem quieter than previous years.
There is a rock concert every night in the square behind the Cathedral.
My impression was that it was actually less active (except for concert) than other times and years.
I was surprised at this as I had also heard reports of expected crowds.
Maybe it suddenly picked up after I left two days ago.

It is very busy right now. Santiago is really buzzing with lots of visitors for the festival. Yesterday evening and today backpacks are banned from the Praza as well as the cathedral and there is a very strong police presence.

I arrived on the 22 July last year it was very quiet in the centre that evening, over the next few days it became packed with pilgrims.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I received my Compostela late afternoon yesterday. The line extended out into the street but the time passed pleasantly enough, chatting to other pilgrims and the volunteers. The office was coping fine. They may have been busier earlier in the day. The really epic lines are for masses in the Cathedral. You need to be very early.

the city is totally heaving - its a shock after the peace of the camino, there are ques for everything - Compostella, Cathedral, Mass etc but if you are patient it will be fine

the city is totally heaving - its a shock after the peace of the camino, there are ques for everything - Compostella, Cathedral, Mass etc but if you are patient it will be fine
Thank you, Jools! I'm so glad to hear that although it's bursting at the seams, you are all able to get the basics of what you need. Maybe it's kind of fun in a way to be there at a record-setting celebration time. Congratulations, best wishes to you and have a safe trip home!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I received my Compostela late afternoon yesterday. The line extended out into the street but the time passed pleasantly enough, chatting to other pilgrims and the volunteers. The office was coping fine. They may have been busier earlier in the day. The really epic lines are for masses in the Cathedral. You need to be very early.
Thanks for the information about being extra-early for the masses! I don't know how they are prepared for such an unprecedented onslaught, but it's impressive that they are. Best wishes, congratulations, and safe trip home!

It is very busy right now. Santiago is really buzzing with lots of visitors for the festival. Yesterday evening and today backpacks are banned from the Praza as well as the cathedral and there is a very strong police presence.
It sounds like quite a time to be there! Glad everyone is safe and that people were able to get basic needs met during that last 5-day section. That 3013 pilgrim count was such an incredible 200% upsurge over and above anything I've heard of that it's amazing to me that they are as prepared as they are. Congratulations on finishing your Camino, best wishes, thanks, and have a safe trip home!

I think they are used to it as it happens every year like this on the 25th as its such a huge public holiday for the whole of Galicia but especially on the special years when the 25th falls on a sunday as this is when th camino numbers swell even more

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's amazing how the number of pilgrims, registering at the Pilgrims' Office, can change from hour to hour and day to day. As if pilgrims move in waves:eek:
In the mean time works are going ahead in and around the new Pilgrims' Office at Rúa das Carretas.
18779-1192ec419abcd956d01383360786e674.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1553.JPG
    IMG_1553.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 20
Repeat ten times...It's not becoming a fad, "that movie" had nothing to do with it !!

It will only become worse, more crowded. I remember when flyfishing in Virginia was enjoyable..then people from the states discoveref it....thanks to another of those " that movie'd)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I lined up to get mine this year there were only a few people waiting. An hour later the queue was out the door and down the street. No idea why.

I got mine while the midday mass was on. No long lines then.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.
That's exactly what we did the first time we arrived in Santiago !
In fact, I can say from experience, from having worked in the Pilgrim's office, that there is definitely a lull in the crowds, at the time of the midday Mass. Also at the very end of the day there aren't so many Pilgrims lining up. Sometimes only one or two!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back