• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What 3 words Navigation

BombayBill

Still Learning
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024 Invierno / VdLP or Cathar
This has been mentioned in the forum before but I think it is worth re-posting. If the mods what to merge my post go right ahead.

Here is an alternative to the difficulties of finding a person/place at a unnamed fixed location. With the use of our handy phones we all can find a named location with the help of Google etc. (ie. meet me in front of the Cathedral in SdC)

However this not so easily done when you need to locate someone/someplace at an un-named location. (ie. meet me at the bar where the tree used to be!) Add to this the issues of using different navigation apps, different GPS formats (decimal vs degrees), and language difficulties.

Here is a simpler solution. There is a company that has created an address for every 3 meter square location on the planet. The location can be described with just 3 words. The words are native to your language of choice. You send the location to a friend by any means at hand. It is easily communicated without the possibility of missing a GPS digit.

So if you want to describe a location on the Camino it be described as:

https://w3w.co/weaned.courtyard.topmost (guess where this is)

More information can be found at https://what3words.com/news/

Maybe those folks over at the very active Camino Olvidado thread might find this useful to document what exactly Enders means when he describes a location.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have used the app for a while and find it very useful. I would only add one rider, it it very important to get the words accurate. It is possible to have an address, with one or more of the same three words pluralised, within the same area. It has been known for emergency services to have gone to the wrong one. Rare but still a problem.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This has been mentioned in the forum before but I think it is worth re-posting. If the mods what to merge my post go right ahead.

Here is an alternative to the difficulties of finding a person/place at a unnamed fixed location. With the use of our handy phones we all can find a named location with the help of Google etc. (ie. meet me in front of the Cathedral in SdC)

However this not so easily done when you need to locate someone/someplace at an un-named location. (ie. meet me at the bar where the tree used to be!) Add to this the issues of using different navigation apps, different GPS formats (decimal vs degrees), and language difficulties.

Here is a simpler solution. There is a company that has created an address for every 3 meter square location on the planet. The location can be described with just 3 words. The words are native to your language of choice. You send the location to a friend by any means at hand. It is easily communicated without the possibility of missing a GPS digit.

Maybe those folks over at the very active Camino Olvidado thread might find this useful to document what exactly Enders means when he describes a location.
The emergency services in the UK use this also - as do, perhaps surprisingly, building materials suppliers.
I ran a supplies business for a while and delivering to new-build sites was always an issue.
‘What’s the delivery address?’
‘I don’t know - we haven’t built it yet’

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And now a serious contribution - If you are using a smartphone with WhatsApp installed, you can also share location information from the app to another WhatsApp user. Since many people in Spain use the app for communication, it's quite handy. And since you can continue to share your location for a period of time, it's a good way to communicate with a taxi driver who's on his way to pick you up or a person that you've arranged to meet "sometime this afternoon in the town center."

If a Spanish person asks you to share your "ubication" on WhatsApp, this is what they are requesting.

Oh, good point, @Raggy. Thank you.
It's also possible on Signal:
For Android:
  1. Firstly, open the Signal app.
  2. Then, go to the conversation.
  3. Next, press the plus button.
  4. Later, scroll right and select Location.
  5. Now allow access to the location of your device.
  6. Finally, click the confirm button and press the send button.
  7. Congratulations! You have shared your location on Signal.

One of the advantages of this app over something like WhatsApp or your iPhone compass is the ability to convey a 3rd party address. That is you and your Camino buddy are separated, tired, very thirsty and want to meet at a location somewhere down the path. So you message and say “let’s meet at https://w3w.co/smiling.respects.cowboy “ , one of the greatest bars in the world to watch the sun go down.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

What3words is brilliant. It can be used for all sorts of applications globally - pretty neat.

One of the advantages of this app over something like WhatsApp or your iPhone compass is the ability to convey a 3rd party address. That is you and your Camino buddy are separated, tired, very thirsty and want to meet at a location somewhere down the path. So you message and say “let’s meet at https://w3w.co/smiling.respects.cowboy “ , one of the greatest bars in the world to watch the sun go down.
I think of them as complementary rather than being in competition. Each has its uses.
For the scenario that you described, I think I'd just message the bar and street name, YMMV,

Is this concept too complicated for me????? Can I just follow the arrows???? Thankfully I will be doing the VDLP and most of it is just walking straight and to the north. Whew!!!

€60,-
The same location can be given with different words in different languages.

Different places in your house can result in different words. Choose the spot with the easiest to remember (or type) words.

I've read of problems getting native Americans registered to vote because they may not have a street address. This could solve the address problem if politicians wanted to use it.

Great idea. Could I plot a route using 3words, and use them as a navigational reference. I looked at their website, but still unsure.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great idea. Could I plot a route using 3words, and use them as a navigational reference. I looked at their website, but still unsure.
I have the app on my phone and tested this. It appears you can. The app asked how I wished to navigate to a distant point. I chose Google, however it (Google) tends to prefer roads and not trails.

what words is being used extensively by emergency services in the United Kingdom and some courier companies too, it's both useful and easy to use. I like it because youcan search on map view then switch to satellite View and zoom right in to a specific square; click on that then select navigate (it will offer you a choice of the navigation apps you have - currently I'm using Google Maps) it will calculate the route and you click Start and off you go. I'm currently using it in the car instead of my Garmin as it means one less bit of kit cluttering up the dashboard but it have also used it successfully on foot too.

So its useful if you have a smartphone and have signal and have battery power.....:):rolleyes:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.