• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What A Walk!!

Gerhard58

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances : April /May 2017
My year pilgrims, what I mentioned below is only in a joking way but I wonder about the following : I have been reading this website for the past 3 months and I would like to ask your indulgence about what am I getting myself into. You read about mad dogs attacking you, people stealing your stuff in the Albergue, people dying on the Piranees ; people stealing your boots at the Alberges, , people stealing your stuff while your out in the town or village or showering , running out of drinking water, not getting a place to sleep for the night !!!! is that as bad as that or am I just a very facetious and scared of what I am facing because I'm starting my walk from St John to Santiago in a weeks time!!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yup, you are whacking yourself out of kilter by gross exaggeration. It is time now to relax, review your packing list to make sure it is as light as possible, and then prepare to be open to what the Camino brings. Release all your expectations - the Camino will not be like that. This is your Camino and everything you will need you will bring or you will find while on Camino.

You will have a great time. Buen Camino,

You read about mad dogs attacking you, people stealing your stuff in the Albergue, people dying on the Piranees ; people stealing your boots at the Alberges, , people stealing your stuff while your out in the town or village or showering , running out of drinking water, not getting a place to sleep for the night !!!!
Not one of those things happened to me or anyone that I met along the way. Though I did meet a couple of people who misplaced reading glasses or cell phones. :)

Obviously, it's not a good idea to leave valuables unattended, so don't do that! :cool:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Lot's of big fish stories on this forum....;)
but walking the Camino is no different than traveling anywhere else. You use common sense to prevent mishaps and misappropriation...
I never saw a mad dog, never even remotely saw a lack of potable water available and always found a place to stay for the night
cheers and ultreia

@Gerhard58 I see you come from Pretoria, a place where security and avoiding crime is on people's minds a lot, and people have to lead lives where they are disciplined and organised to prevent crimes happening to them.

On the camino it is totally and utterly different. It will probably freak you out a bit to begin with that you'll be staying in a building in some village and someone may have left the front door wide open, and people's stuff is lying about. But this is perfectly normal and it's unusual for anything to be stolen. Simply keep your valuables - passport, phone, money etc on you at all times, and always take them to the shower and toilet. Put them in your sleeping bag with you at night. In a large city, albergues will be more secure and may have a receptionist and lockers, but even the cities are still extremely safe, and you'll see families with small children walking about at 11pm, perfectly relaxed.

You are walking in April, so should have no problems getting a bed, as long as you don't rock up at 9pm. Dogs may bark, but they are usually on a lead or behind a fence. Water is not in short supply, and neither is good beer. People have dropped dead it's true, but they probably had pre existing conditions and at least they died doing what they enjoyed.

So you'll have a challenge of trusting strangers to begin with, but that will soon be overcome. You will have a wonderful time. I make a bet with you that you will look back on this thread in six weeks and smile to yourself.

A friend I met along the Way (who was also from Pretoria, ironically) lost his jacket...because he left it on a park bench. It was the worst tragedy I witnessed in 33 days (he really liked that jacket ;)...we found a store and got him another one, though).

I found a bed every night, the drinking water was probably better than home and the dogs turned out to all be nice tail-wagging farm dogs who wanted their ears scratched.

So...don't worry!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Gerhard58 I see you come from Pretoria, a place where security and avoiding crime is on people's minds a lot, and people have to lead lives where they are disciplined and organised to prevent crimes happening to them.

On the camino it is totally and utterly different. It will probably freak you out a bit to begin with that you'll be staying in a building in some village and someone may have left the front door wide open, and people's stuff is lying about. But this is perfectly normal and it's unusual for anything to be stolen. Simply keep your valuables - passport, phone, money etc on you at all times, and always take them to the shower and toilet. Put them in your sleeping bag with you at night. In a large city, albergues will be more secure and may have a receptionist and lockers, but even the cities are still extremely safe, and you'll see families with small children walking about at 11pm, perfectly relaxed.

You are walking in April, so should have no problems getting a bed, as long as you don't rock up at 9pm. Dogs may bark, but they are usually on a lead or behind a fence. Water is not in short supply, and neither is good beer. People have dropped dead it's true, but they probably had pre existing conditions and at least they died doing what they enjoyed.

So you'll have a challenge of trusting strangers to begin with, but that will soon be overcome. You will have a wonderful time. I make a bet with you that you will look back on this thread in six weeks and smile to yourself.
Dear Notion I really thank you very much for your kind and wonderful input ! I mentioned that I was just posted this as a joke and I must say that the responses I got were in-line with what I expected. I come from South Africa and if you can survive this country at this moment then you have no problem surviving anywhere else so this was just an aside !! I was not too serious about posting this ! Thank you everyone for your kind contributions I know Europe well having spent more than 25 years of my working career in that continent. Every place has its type alias and one has to be on the alert. Thank you once again and Buen Camino

A friend I met along the Way (who was also from Pretoria, ironically) lost his jacket...because he left it on a park bench. It was the worst tragedy I witnessed in 33 days (he really liked that jacket ;)...we found a store and got him another one, though).

I found a bed every night, the drinking water was probably better than home and the dogs turned out to all be nice tail-wagging farm dogs who wanted their ears scratched.

So...don't worry!
Thanks my friend

So...don't worry!
Thanks my friend

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lot's of big fish stories on this forum....;)
but walking the Camino is no different than traveling anywhere else. You use common sense to prevent mishaps and misappropriation...
I never saw a mad dog, never even remotely saw a lack of potable water available and always found a place to stay for the night
cheers and ultreia
Thanks Mark I always appreciate your on the spot advice. I was just posting that as a lighthearted gesture but with a little bit of concern too!! Thanks!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I've never read any of those things. Aside from people who write that they've read about these things. ;)

My year pilgrims, what I mentioned below is only in a joking way but I wonder about the following : I have been reading this website for the past 3 months and I would like to ask your indulgence about what am I getting myself into. You read about mad dogs attacking you, people stealing your stuff in the Albergue, people dying on the Piranees ; people stealing your boots at the Alberges, , people stealing your stuff while your out in the town or village or showering , running out of drinking water, not getting a place to sleep for the night !!!! is that as bad as that or am I just a very facetious and scared of what I am facing because I'm starting my walk from St John to Santiago in a weeks time!!!!

Yes

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back