• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What a week!

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Tomorrow (Saturday) my second daughter was supposed to be getting married but at 9pm last Saturday an announcement was made that our city would be going into level 3 lockdown at 6am Sunday for a week. Tears! By midnight she was saying her vows in her backyard under a stunning moon, surrounded by family and friends and fairy lights. Her brother who was in the bridal party FaceTimed in from another city where he had gone for the weekend- yay for technology.
Today, the day we were supposed to be decorating the church and reception hall, we are sitting quietly in high alert - still in lockdown but now more concerned about the three large earthquakes that have hit this morning and the tsunamis that might be approaching. Suddenly COVID isn’t the biggest news. And the beaches where my daughter was supposed to be honeymooning next week are being evacuated!
Treasure each moment.
My eldest son is meant to be getting married in six weeks - nothing is certain!

Attachments

• 45C03541-7EDC-4A96-B307-D3C805C91947.jpeg
    45C03541-7EDC-4A96-B307-D3C805C91947.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I believe the tsunami alert has been lifted but you're still in for a shaky ride with aftershocks.
Thinking of you all, our neighbour across The Ditch.

Glad your daughters wedding was able to be re-arranged...it looks beautiful.
Where there's a will, there's a way.
Best wishes 🤗
👣 🌏

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And the beaches where my daughter was supposed to be honeymooning next week are being evacuated!
Treasure each moment.
- that was the ‘silver lining ‘ for sure .

what a topsy turvy time for you and your family !
Praying all will be well again soon.
Treasure each moment.
Yes ♥️♥️♥️♥️

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I believe the tsunami alert has been lifted but you're still in for a shaky ride with aftershocks.
Thinking of you all, our neighbour across The Ditch.

Glad your daughters wedding was able to be re-arranged...it looks beautiful.
Where there's a will, there's a way.
Best wishes 🤗
👣 🌏
Might have been lifted in Tassie (and Samoa too) but not over here yet - the surges are rolling in. No one is allowed back to sea level yet.
Backyard weddings are the best. 💜
...2020 taught us nothing really is ever certain. Please stay safe!
I think I will treasure the backyard ceremony (even though I was barefoot and my husband’s pants were at the dry cleaners!!)..... I do know my daughter is now looking forward to May 7 when she will get to wear her wedding dress and share a meal with the full circle of family and friends....but she’s holding the date lightly!
“The first wedding” was all about loving community creating beauty in the midst of suffering and commitment come what may - that’s what truly matters.
We joked that a big rainy storm tomorrow would make it all seem so much better - no one expected earthquakes!!

Might have been lifted in Tassie (and Samoa too) but not over here yet - the surges are rolling in. No one is allowed back to sea level yet.
No warnings for us here thankfully. The news article has been updated & now says the NZ tsunami warning was lifted before the third quake struck...& quickly reinstated.
Hang in there...we're all thinking of you & keeping our fingers crossed.🤞
👣 🌏

Yep @kazrobbo the biggie struck just after they had lifted the first warning - the current warning was likely to be in place until late afternoon (which incidentally is when our Prime Minister is supposed to be giving a Covid update and hopefully telling us we’ll be down to level 2 lockdown next week - she’s a busy lass today!)....even as I was writing news came through that evacuees can return home, although everyone is advised to stay away from beaches (my parents live across the road from the beach on the East Coast!!)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
What a trying and frustrating set of events. This is certainly a post which can underscore the turning of lemons into lemonade, although by the time things finish sorting themselves out, you may have an Olympic-sized swimming pool of the stuff :)

Yep @kazrobbo the biggie struck just after they had lifted the first warning - the current warning was likely to be in place until late afternoon (which incidentally is when our Prime Minister is supposed to be giving a Covid update and hopefully telling us we’ll be down to level 2 lockdown next week - she’s a busy lass today!)....even as I was writing news came through that evacuees can return home, although everyone is advised to stay away from beaches (my parents live across the road from the beach on the East Coast!!)
My sister lives up a hill, by the sea on the east coast of Northland in a normally quiet secluded section. They were marooned by a combination of high tide and surges for a short while. The civil defence evacuation area was right behind their house, so they had a lot of people in the section next door until the early afternoon. And the siren was behind their house blaring continuously for hours.
The main problem is that her son, who when younger was in Samoa with his Dad when that Tsunami struck, and they were both lucky to escape with their lives - has high anxiety levels around Tsunami and was quite freaked out - with the noise, the people and the imminent threat of water.
So she had quite a stressful morning.
On the other hand I drove to my fathers place, (west of Whangarei) unaware of anything, wondering why the roads were empty.
Although she and I only live 80 minutes apart, I live in the middle of the Island on the Kaipara Harbour so not a threat here.

I think I will treasure the backyard ceremony (even though I was barefoot and my husband’s pants were at the dry cleaners!!)..... I do know my daughter is now looking forward to May 7 when she will get to wear her wedding dress and share a meal with the full circle of family and friends....but she’s holding the date lightly!
“The first wedding” was all about loving community creating beauty in the midst of suffering and commitment come what may - that’s what truly matters.
We joked that a big rainy storm tomorrow would make it all seem so much better - no one expected earthquakes!!
Your photo is lovely, and they will always have a story to tell about it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That is a wonderful story. I remember your early posts when the whole family including your dad walked the Camino. And now you have a daughter getting married. How quickly time passes.
We were caught up in the tsunami too. We live in Mangawhai and had neighbours from the low side across the road up at our place. What a day!

Tomorrow (Saturday) my second daughter was supposed to be getting married but at 9pm last Saturday an announcement was made that our city would be going into level 3 lockdown at 6am Sunday for a week. Tears! By midnight she was saying her vows in her backyard under a stunning moon, surrounded by family and friends and fairy lights. Her brother who was in the bridal party FaceTimed in from another city where he had gone for the weekend- yay for technology.
Today, the day we were supposed to be decorating the church and reception hall, we are sitting quietly in high alert - still in lockdown but now more concerned about the three large earthquakes that have hit this morning and the tsunamis that might be approaching. Suddenly COVID isn’t the biggest news. And the beaches where my daughter was supposed to be honeymooning next week are being evacuated!
Treasure each moment.
As you said nothing is certain. God Bless

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Treasure each moment.
I am thrilled to know that there are people out there who in the midst of potential disaster come up with brilliant ideas! (Unlike me who would have decided the Universe was trying to tell me not to get married!!)😉

A day to remember in more ways than one. Glad it turned out well. My youngest son is getting married today in a quiet civil ceremony followed by a meal. We are in lockdown so I will be unable to go. Difficult days.

Loved the photo with the smiling faces, and the lights, and rose petals. Strange days. Stay safe.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Treasure each moment.
Beautiful wedding! Congratulations!
And this will be a "forever" memory.

@Sansthing You are right - these ARE hard times. The disruption of "how we do community", indeed, how we do family is one of the challenges. I hope you were able to find some way to be connected in spite of the physical distance. Feeling for you.

When we were getting married, we had to keep reminding ourselves that the success metrics of a wedding are pretty simple. At the end of the day, is the right couple married? If so - success!

It sounds like, despite tough times, this wedding was a super success.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Your great great grandchildren will be telling this story! Hope your family is safe and happy!

@Sansthing You are right - these ARE hard times. The disruption of "how we do community", indeed, how we do family is one of the challenges. I hope you were able to find some way to be connected in spite of the physical distance. Feeling for you.
Thank you Rachael, I managed to join them briefly on a video call. Just as well I didn´t try to go, it now looks like I have the dreaded virus, although only mildly thank goodness (I´m 74!)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back