• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What A Wonderful Forum!

robbobd17

I've been planning my Camino in the back of my mind for months now without making any solid plans to get on with it.

I work a job that keeps me chained to blighty and quite frankly i'm getting rather fed up! I really want to partake in the Camino to find myself again and meet new and interesting people.

I'm usually the type to make grand plans but in the end not be able to carry them out but after reading this forum I shall be going full steam ahead!!

All the support and advice shared really shows me the spirit of the Camino and I will be looking for advice leading up to my planned start date of May! Thank you all!

My first question is what sort of training would be advisable? I dont get to walk much anymore due to work but i try get 5-10 miles in twice a week.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Robbobd17

You've chosen a very nice time of year to do the Camino, if next year is anything like this one was.

I think training is a personal thing. If you're on a tight schedule and have to walk a certain distance each day you'll find advice on this forum for training suggestions.

I planned my Camino at short notice and was unfit, but was fortunate enough to have time to start slowly and enjoy feeling myself getting fitter and stronger as I went on. I adopted the attitude that the best training for walking is...walking, so why not just do it on the Camino?! :)

Buen Camino!

Keith

Thanks very much! I like the attitude and I feel it would be a good one to adopt!

I'm hoping to get it done in around 5 weeks but shall give myself some breathing space just in case.

Can you recommend the best guide 'books' available? Also is 'The Way' an accurate reflection of the Camino for those who've seen it? I'm going to borrow a copy but i know how movies can totally detract from reality!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I Liked The Way for the scenery and the memories, which is probably true for most peregrinos. I wouldn't expect to stay with the same group for the whole Camino as they did in the film. You'll meet some people who are just walking a stage of the Camino and leave/join at Burgos, Leon etc. And if you haven't seen a cyclist until after Pamplona I'd be surprised! Don't go walking through people's vineyards either. :)

Edit: re. guidebooks. Most English speakers I met used John Brierley's guide, which has good maps. Sillydoll (Sylvia Nilsen) from this forum has a guide which I haven't read yet - see the link at the bottom of the page.

Keith

Join the Confraternity of St James - http://www.csj.org.uk - buy their new guide to the Camino Frances when it comes out in January. My book "Your Camino" is not a directional guide book - it is a planning guide with answers to all your questions, and some you didn't know to ask!

Be encouraged and see the time prior to your walk as part of a larger scheme. Enjoy the anticipation and preparation.
you have chosen an excellent time to travel.
My next camino is likely to be in late winter - this morning in South Yorkshire it looks and feels that season already.
Misty, very wet and cold.
So this morning I'll cycle for 3 hours and let my mind wonder.
I wish you a great journey and hope you feel encouraged and supported in your preparation.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you do not train much before you leave, the worst thing you can do is try to walk the "standard" stages. Do not try to reach any particular destination each day (though you probably will have one in mind). Stop regularly. Tend to your feet. When they go bad, you will transition from discomfort to misery. Avoid that transition.

Get your footwear now, and be sure it is well worked-in. Do not take any standard advice on the size footwear to buy. Take the sock combination you will use, I recommend a silk or polypro liner and a medium wool or wool-blend hiking sock, and try on boots while wearing them. Get a proper fit with those socks, not one size larger or one size smaller! Get boots that fit; do not be focused on the size you have bought in the past. Some walkers experience foot swelling. To remedy that, I would suggest removing a layer of sock (or having lightweight wool socks in your backpack), not buying larger footwear, which will be larger regardless of the current size of your foot. When your foot is smaller, it will slide inside the too-large boot, and you will get blisters.

Pack very light. Leave behind everything that you "might need" except a first aid kit. You are not going to the wilderness; if you really need something, you can buy it along the way. You can wash every night, so one change of clothes is sufficient. Avoid style; go for utility, such as moisture wicking fabric, and pockets. Lighter colors are better in the heat of summer.

The one universal criticism I have heard from pilgrims who have seen "The Way" is that Sheen makes it look too easy. He bounces along from day one to day thirty. My bounce was gone within the first hour! You will be walking approximately a half-marathon each day for over a month. It is not easy, particularly if you do not take rest days.

Have fun. Go slowly. Buen Camino.

Those who have not walked the Camino think the Way is a wonderful film, giving a real taste of the actual Camino.

However what it depicts has not been my experience. In the film they skip along like Dorothy and Co in the wizard of Oz.

At the end of a long days walk the words that best describes most pilgrims coming into town is 'they trudge along'.

Lydia. If I got a good song in my head and was feeling good about everything, I might have been skipping along like in the Wizard of Oz sometimes. Not when I arrived at destination though, I must admit. My dire choice of music is chronicled elsewhere on this forum.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
sillydoll said:
Join the Confraternity of St James - http://www.csj.org.uk - buy their new guide to the Camino Frances when it comes out in January. My book "Your Camino" is not a directional guide book - it is a planning guide with answers to all your questions, and some you didn't know to ask!

There are many books to help planning your camino - if you feel you need a book as there are answers to all your questions freely available on the internet...and if you can't find an answer just post the question here and other users will find out for you.

Joining the Confraternity is a good idea but to be clear you don;t have to be a member to buy books or guides.

Best wishes

John

Thank you all for the help so far!

This weekend I shall be heading out to do a bit of scouting for some new walking gear (and if i have time maybe testing it out on a wander up one of the 3 peaks time depending.)

I saw 'The Way' this evening and yes - if i'd walked 20-25k's I would certainly not be as sprightly as Mr Sheen and co! Not a bad film but any comparisons it makes to the realities of the Camino shall be taken with a large pinch of salt haha.

Rob

Rob,
You're off to a good start.
Saw The Way three hours ago. Would like to see what ended up on the cutting floor. Maybe included in the DVD.
Keep asking questions and Forum members will answer.
Falcon with reams of facts and solid advice, while others will provide short pithy info and others tongue in cheek comments.
Welcome to the Forum!
Buen Camino,
Arn

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Rob

If you're ready for the 3 peaks, you're prepared for the Camino. The main difference will be the weather. Probably. :)

Keith

tyrrek said:
Rob

If you're ready for the 3 peaks, you're prepared for the Camino. The main difference will be the weather. Probably. :)

Keith

Yes 3 peaks is a big day, a wonderful day, not sure this weather will help you to see a lot, which makes navigating not so easy. Hope your boots are worn in.......Have fun.

David

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I won't have time for the full 3 peaks at such short notice, i'm just going to have a nice stroll up pen-y-ghent. It's a nice walk for someone who doesn't have much time to spare. it's only just over six miles so not a patch on Camino distances!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Arn said:
Saw The Way three hours ago. Would like to see what ended up on the cutting floor. Maybe included in the DVD......

Arn

Sorry to disappoint Arn, but the Spanish version of the DVD only contains the Movie Trailer and four "behind the scenes" clips on the filming of the River, Muxia, Arrest and Haystack scenes, all very interesting though.

Regards
Mig

robbodb17,

Welcome in here! This is indeed the best place for planning your camino.

Below you will find a link to where you can plan each daily step of your camino, print it out, laminate it, and have it with you in your backpack. It is of great value on the way:

http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back