• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What about contemplation and personal development on the Camino when you are a scumbag?

Shinobi42

Time of past OR future Camino
from Irun to Nueva
from Nueva to Muxia
Yesterday I have returned from a two day hike that was intended as a test of my gear and myself for my second half of the Camino in October. I must admit that I did poor planning and the way that I walked in Taunus (the hills north of Mainz and Wiesbaden in Germany) was sometimes very boring because I walked on a normal street. I thought I would find some nice hiking routes with my specialized map underway, but this did not work. As the result I was the most time angry about myself, my physical condition and I had some problems of climbing up the hills because of my compression stocking (I have currently a DVT). So it seems there was not much of a chance for valuable contemplation but for remarkable muscle aches.

Most of the time when I watch Youtube videos from other pilgrims or when I read articles about pilgrimage I am thinking that I would like to lend their personality, their way of thinking. Then I could go and make great experiences for my personal development. Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to my pilgrimage, but I have lost a bit of my hope that it would bring me positive impulses for my spirit for the time beeing. Because it is just me that is going here, with a pack full memories of faults and wrong decisions that I made in my life, with my anger, with a handfull of cynism, with decreasing trust in others. I remember an important sentence in the book from the German author Hape Kerkeling about some pilgrims: "They will leave the Camino as they started it".

It seems I fear more this lack of personal growth than of blisters and bed bugs. What are your thoughts?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for your honest post. Try to enjoy the simple things, live in the present and leave the regrets of the past in the past where they belong. Offer help to others in need and you will soon learn to be kinder to yourself too..

Sounds like you had a hard time on that hike, and it made you hard on yourself too. But it also sounds like you are aware of the burdens you are carrying, and maybe the camino is a good chance to put some down or gain some new perspective on them, and give yourself a break and reframe them with some kind words to yourself, forgive yourself etc etc. There are people who gain little from the camino but most do, just not in the ways they expected.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Because it is just me that is going here, with a pack full memories of faults and wrong decisions that I made in my life, with my anger, with a handfull of cynism, with decreasing trust in others
No-one else can be you.
And we all have gifts, as well as faults.

The past is gone, and can't be changed.
The future isn't yet here and can't be controlled.
Letting both those be and just walking without an agenda of any kind - without needing to change yourself, even - will allow the process of walking the camino to work its magic

The camino? It will ask you to be who you are unapologetically. Step by step. And you will see all that. And more - including all your strengths. Because you wouldn't be drawn to walking this way unless there is good in there to be uncovered. And you'll come out the other end more whole.

Buen camino peregrino. Your pilgrimage has already begun.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back