• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What about the albergue in Mieres Del Camino ?

Tahitidom

Time of past OR future Camino
past: caminos frances 2012. :camino portugues in may 2013; Camino primitivo in june 2013
I have been told that this albergue is bad situated :youg people knock at the door at night, making noise...
Have you got drtails about this?
Thanks
friendly
Dominique

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Dominique,
Like you I have heard conflicting reports. The albergue is actually a bit outside the town of Mieres, in an old school. I know people who have slept there without complaint and I have also heard a lot of complaints. Apparently the albergue only opens late in the day (not till 5 pm) unless you happen to connect with the hospitalero when he is in a good mood and feeling generous. But I don´t say any of this from first hand experience, just what I hear from others. I do know that the albergue was closed for a rather long period several years ago, and some renovations were done. So I don´t know if all the complaints come from pre-renovation or not.

I had planned to stay in Mieres twice, but both times I got there early in the day and decided that since Oviedo is so lovely, it was worth it to push through to Oviedo and spend some extra time there. I do think that if I were going to stay in Mieres, I´d stay in a downtown hostal, but if you spend the night before in Pola de Lena, you are going to get there very early in the day and won´t likely find too much to do.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Dominique,
Like you I have heard conflicting reports. The albergue is actually a bit outside the town of Mieres, in an old school. I know people who have slept there without complaint and I have also heard a lot of complaints. Apparently the albergue only opens late in the day (not till 5 pm) unless you happen to connect with the hospitalero when he is in a good mood and feeling generous. But I don´t say any of this from first hand experience, just what I hear from others. I do know that the albergue was closed for a rather long period several years ago, and some renovations were done. So I don´t know if all the complaints come from pre-renovation or not.

I had planned to stay in Mieres twice, but both times I got there early in the day and decided that since Oviedo is so lovely, it was worth it to push through to Oviedo and spend some extra time there. I do think that if I were going to stay in Mieres, I´d stay in a downtown hostal, but if you spend the night before in Pola de Lena, you are going to get there very early in the day and won´t likely find too much to do.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie
I just wait for more informations about this albergue. Someone told me that the alternative is small hotels in the town center (more expensive)... I will walk on this camino about the may 8th.. so We have time to decide...
Buen camino to you laurie
regards
Dominique

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have slept in that albergue doing El Salvador in 2012. It is not that bad. Not the best but not the worse. We were only two persons that day. We had the entire albergue for ourselves. It is not really close to the city center but you can still walk there if you want. They open late but we didnt have any problem with the hospitalero

I have slept in that albergue doing El Salvador in 2012. It is not that bad. Not the best but not the worse. We were only two persons that day. We had the entire albergue for ourselves. It is not really close to the city center but you can still walk there if you want. They open late but we didnt have any problem with the hospitalero

Thanks for this update. One other thing I´d point out is that the albergue is located near the camino after you have passed through central Mieres, so it puts you in a good position for starting out the next morning. Buen camino, Laurie

I have been told that this albergue is bad situated :youg people knock at the door at night, making noise...
Have you got drtails about this?
Thanks
friendly
Dominique
Hi, we stayed here last September. It was ok, but not great. It's quite a walk out of Mieres, which meant we didn't want to go back in again. The bunks are VERY close together. It was us, and one other pilgrim. In the middle of the night, he fell through the slats of his bunk, which just broke! The bathrooms are good.
If I was on my own, I'd be scared to stay here. There is broken glass, and it's in a run down area.

There is a bar nearby, but it doesn't serve food til 9pm . There is a little shop, but no cooking facilities other than a microwave in the kitchen.

We had to ring the hospitalero to open up, and it took a long while for him to arrive, and this was after 5pm. Next time, I would stay in Mieres, just to have more options for eating, and to have a wander round the town.
This albergue is not the worst, and if you're on a budget, it's fine.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is a pretty drab Albergue. I stayed here last year and I was the only person there. I walked into town for dinner. There were many options to eat. If I did this Camino again, I would stay in town somewhere. Mieres is actually a very nice city.

Joe

Last edited:
I stayed at Mieres 16 June. Well when I say stayed that's a bit in-accurate. The hospitalero turned up at 5 and was perfectly friendly and helpful but the place is run down and battered, broken bunks and broken windows. The kitchen is well equipped and features a double hot-plate, the water was hot. But I really didn't like the feel of the place, a miasma of melancholy.
I spooked myself. I left, got a room in town. Slept, which I don't think I would have in that sad little Albergue. In a group maybe, but solo no.

The area around the Albergue is a Gitano area, it does feel a bit run down and you have an area in front of the Albergue which is used as a soccer playing area so you can get groups of young local lads playing or sitting around watching the game. Its pushes a lot of reaction buttons and can make you feel quite nervous, but we got chatting to some locals about buying food and once the barrier of reactions had been replaced by actual contact with quite friendly people it helped the place feel more welcoming.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Buen Camino pilgrims! I plan to walk the Del Salvador this summer, followed by the Primitivo, followed by the Portuguese (from Coimbra). What a summer I will have :) I am posting my current...
I will be walking the Norte starting at Bilbao later this month and am considering switching to the San Salvador after I get to Oviedo. I would be walking it in the reverse direction beginning...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.