• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What about those pilgrim's meals?

Matt from Canada

Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino in (2015)
My launch date is fast approaching (Sept. 15) and I'm getting more curious about the pilgrim's meals my wife and can expect along the way. I recall an earlier posting mentioning they can be somewhat bland. I'm thinking of carrying a small dispenser of Turkish red pepper spice (a personal favourite) to provide a culinary assist when needed. I don't believe bland food is an essential part of the Camino experience.

I am also looking forward to sampling some full-bodied Spanish red wines. That, I believe, will be an essential part my Camino experience - I'm in training now

What are some typical pilgrim's meals anyway?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome Matt, cabbage soup to start, fish or pork for main and a cornetto for desert. The wine can be pot luck. I had only one memorable bad meal on the Camino other than that I did them all justice. I used to be so hungry sometimes I would have eaten road kill. :):)
Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

Typically, the biggest decision of the day is whether to have: (a) mixed salad, (b) lentil soup, (c) spaghetti, for the first course. Then a piece of meat (or fish) with French fries for main course. Finally, (a) packaged ice cream, (b) flan, or (c) one piece of fruit, for dessert. The decision about whether to take wine or water is not usually difficult.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My launch date is fast approaching (Sept. 15) and I'm getting more curious about the pilgrim's meals my wife and can expect along the way. I recall an earlier posting mentioning they can be somewhat bland. I'm thinking of carrying a small dispenser of Turkish red pepper spice (a personal favourite) to provide a culinary assist when needed. I don't believe bland food is an essential part of the Camino experience.

I am also looking forward to sampling some full-bodied Spanish red wines. That, I believe, will be an essential part my Camino experience - I'm in training now

The most common "menu del peregrino" in my experience is something like: first course: green salad, pasta, or potato salad, occasionally vegetables (always with some meat/sausage) or soup; second course: filete (thin piece of sauteed meat, usually beef), something pork, or fish (usually merluza) and of course FRENCH FRIES!!! (but not with fish for some reason).
Third course: some pre-made dessert (ice cream in a little cup, ice cream cake, yoghurt, fruit) -- if you want to know if there are any home-made desserts, you can ask if there are "postres caseros," but I have find that the definition of "casero"/homemade is pretty broad. Pudding made from an envelope counts. Wine is also included typically, but is very frequently awful. You can ask about an "upgrade" and can usually get something decent for a not too huge surcharge. Coffee is also available, but the menu usually covers only coffee OR dessert, so you will pay extra for both.

If you are a foodie, the menu del peregrino is likely to disappoint. But lots of good food is available on the Camino. In all of Spain, a left over from the Franco era is the "menu del dia," which is an affordable meal like the "menu del peregrino" but almost always much better. On the Camino Frances you are likely to find that a restaurant serves a menu del peregrino, but if you go off camino a bit you'll find the locals eating where there are menus del dia. On other caminos, there are no menus del peregrino, and frequently the menu del dia is terrific.

I am pretty un-demanding in my food needs, but even I don't find the typical menu del peregrino to be too enjoyable. Enough calories to replenish the body, but rarely a culinary experience! Buen camino, Laurie

Here you go:

Breakfast: http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/08/eating-on-camino-santiago-coffee-and.html

Lunch and Dinner: http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/08/lunch-on-camino-santiago.html

Tapas and Pinchos: http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/08/all-about-tapas-and-pinchos.html

For photos of dinner, I'd just suggest you start at the beginning of some of my Camino trips and follow the blog, there are lots of photos.
For dinner, I suggest you eat your main large meal mid day and order the Menu del Dia.
This is a menu put into place by Franco so the working class could have an affordable meal while away from home and it is still the best value of all, in my opinion.
The food is better, more varied, less expensive, and larger portions than the Menu Peregrino.
Eat large mid day and then snack for dinner.

I did not, by the way, find the food bland at all!
In fact, Spanish food is one of my favorites!
If you eat the Pilgrim Menu each day, you'll get bored fast - but try the wee mom and pop places at noon for a better meal and great local cooking.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I, too, swear by the menu de dia. A Spanish friend tells me that it is the only good thing Franco ever did. Ever since I discovered its existence, I abandoned the menu de peregrino for the menu de dia.

Note that it is sometimes not always available everywhere in the evening, especially in the smarter restaurants, and frequently enough not available on Sunday evenings.

Spanish cooking can be very good indeed and, if you can afford the occasional indulgence, I would also suggest trying out the carta (what North Americans call the menu) for local specialties every week or two.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Typically, the biggest decision of the day is whether to have: (a) mixed salad, (b) lentil soup, (c) spaghetti, for the first course. Then a piece of meat (or fish) with French fries for main course. Finally, (a) packaged ice cream, (b) flan, or (c) one piece of fruit, for dessert. The decision about whether to take wine or water is not usually difficult.

That was pretty much my experience. Bland...ish. But adequate. The few times I tried a la carte, it wasn't that great, so I stuck to the Pilgrim Menus mainly.

I didn't really take a lot of note of menus. It was just 'fuel' at the end of the day to go with the wine :) Which was great. I am now a fan of Rioja!

Just saw this which seems to be fairly typical. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/i-had-the-meetballs.1297/

Last edited:
We have the menu del dia at lunch (which means between 2pm and 4pm) because the meal at night is not eaten by the locals until 10pm or later. We also try to go a few blocks off Camino. Comidors (dining rooms) are often hidden at the back of the bar.

My "Michelin Guide" is a group of elderly ladies sitting in the plaza - they always know the best place to eat.

Restaurants catering for pilgrims and serving early evening meals are often not very good. There are exceptions, of course.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The pilgrim menu consists of primera plata, secunda plata and postre.
Don't make the mistake of thinking that the second course corresponds to a main course consisting of a large portion of meat, large portion of potatoes and and maybe two vegetable.. If it says fillet of chicken or pork plus patatas fritas., you will get a small fillet of meat and a tiny fistful of chips. If you are hungry make sure you choose a filling first plate 'primera plata.
However that said the pilgrim menu is usually good value and good company.

You don't have to eat the complete Pilgrim menu. You could choose two first courses, for instance (e.g. Lentils or garbanzos, which are chick peas, plus a salad) or a home made soup. the portions are usually enormous.
The second course invariably come with chips.
Yes, far better are the Menu del Día.

Wow! You've hit a home run regarding my question about pilgrim's meals with your website. The meals don't look bland at all - bring it on!

I think I'll leave my Turkish red pepper spice at home.

Thanks Anie.

If you get to stop at Atapuerca, do check out Comosapiens. The chef prides himself on creating a regional pilgrim's meal that is NOT the usual. Plus, if you have the €s and inclination, there is an extensive wine list. :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I got rather bored of the pilgrim meals by the first couple of days so I paid the euro or two extra for menu del dia when I could find it. I was able to enjoy pork cheek, rabbit, lamb stew (well mutton but I like mutton too) on those occasions. Also found out quick that I did not appreciate Patatas Bravas as I am not a big fan of tomato aioli but applauded the meals that were plain ol' patatas!

It was at Comosapiens that the chef declared "There are three sorts of human being Men, Women and... Pilgrims." He was exasperated by a 'table for six' where only three turned up, a 'table for two' with four occupants who had 'borrowed' chairs from the adjacent table and the ladies who wanted wine and water but were offering to pay 'extra' for the water . Fond memories of a great meal.

I am sure that there is a thread on here somewhere showing different peoples' choice of eating places for the best menu del dia.
Mine was Cafe Iruna in the Plaza del Castillo in Pamplona.
Three large dishes with a choice of 4 or 5 on each course, with a full bottle of wine per person.
Not too dear either. 13 euros in 2012

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It was at Comosapiens that the chef declared "There are three sorts of human being Men, Women and... Pilgrims." He was exasperated by a 'table for six' where only three turned up, a 'table for two' with four occupants who had 'borrowed' chairs from the adjacent table and the ladies who wanted wine and water but were offering to pay 'extra' for the water . Fond memories of a great meal.

I forgot to add that 'Chef' is all part of the experience. Do ask about his framed wine cork collection.

There is a MacDonalds Restaurant in Leon. They don't serve wine. Not even with the Happy Meal.

I am sure that there is a thread on here somewhere showing different peoples' choice of eating places for the best menu del dia.
Mine was Cafe Iruna in the Plaza del Castillo in Pamplona.
Three large dishes with a choice of 4 or 5 on each course, with a full bottle of wine per person.
Not too dear either. 13 euros in 2012
Scan this earlier thread for various menu del dia successes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That was pretty much my experience. Bland...ish. But adequate. The few times I tried a la carte, it wasn't that great, so I stuck to the Pilgrim Menus mainly.

I didn't really take a lot of note of menus. It was just 'fuel' at the end of the day to go with the wine :) Which was great. I am now a fan of Rioja!

Just saw this which seems to be fairly typical. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/i-had-the-meetballs.1297/

Lunch was 'fuel' to go with coffee and we've also come home with a taste for Rioja wine...

Attachments

• lord_give_me_coffee.jpg
    lord_give_me_coffee.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 8
My launch date is fast approaching (Sept. 15) and I'm getting more curious about the pilgrim's meals my wife and can expect along the way...........What are some typical pilgrim's meals anyway?

Matt, they are not so bad, although sometimes limited in choice. Try and remember to seek out a 'menu del dia' which often are a choice.

All in all, if you are anything like me, by the end of your second week, you'll be ready to eat your boots lightly-grilled at the end of the day. So, a pilgrim meal will be like nectar of the gods.

Buen (fine-dining) Camino

In Tui I saw 'Pilgrim Menu's' for €8 - egg 'n' chips type meal. Reasonable, I though, for a lunch. The Menu del Dia (quite substantial) tended to be about €12-14 all the way to Santiago, when a Pilgrims Menu turned into the Menu del Dia and was charged accordingly (€12-14)!!

Biff

Hi Matt

It depends where you are at the time. The best meals can be:

when you are very hungry, it doesn’t matter what’s on the the menu;

when you are with your camino family; it’s the company that counts;

sampling the tapas in the bars of a vibrant town;

when everywhere is closed, you are all alone in the albergue; you have bread, cheese and vino tinto . . . and your lovely wife to share it with :)

While we were satisfied with the typical pilgrims' menu, we especially enjoyed those private albergues that provided an in-house meal (usually at about the same cost as the off-site pilgrims' menu meals). One thing to consider regarding some of the off-Camino menu de dia offerings is that the places that serve the pilgrims' menu serve on a more pilgrim-friendly time schedule, usually no later than 7:00pm. The in-town or off-Camino establishments usually serve on the typical Spanish evening meal schedule, which often means 9:00pm, which is the time when most pilgrims are starting to bed down for the night. Don't forget, many albergues close the doors and have lights out at 10:00pm.

As I said, we were generally satisfied with the pilgrims' menu offerings, although they can get monotonous if that's what you east every night. I only recall one occasion where the meal served was truly awful (PM me if you want the location). That's why the in-house meals at some of the private albergues were so welcome -- and usually delicious. Another option is to prepare your own meals where kitchen facilities are available. You can usually team up with other pilgrims for a shared meal and fellowship.

There is a MacDonalds Restaurant in Leon. They don't serve wine. Not even with the Happy Meal.
Hmmmm....I'm thinking eating at McDonald's doesn't quite fit with my vision of the Cammino experience. It doesn't say "Spain" nor "Camino" to me - and you say it doesn't serve wine either. Yikes!

I do appreciate the warning though.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hmmmm....I'm thinking eating at McDonald's doesn't quite fit with my vision of the Cammino experience. It doesn't say "Spain" nor "Camino" to me - and you say it doesn't serve wine either. Yikes!

I do appreciate the warning though.

Didn't you know there are four epochs in Spanish culture all indicated by the use of arches?

-The Romans built acqueducts and bridges, many of which still stand the test of time.
-During the age of the Emirs the Arabs built keystone arches at the entrances to palaces such as Alhambra and in Mosques such as the one converted to a cathedral in Cordoba.
During the age of kings the Catholic church built Cathedrals with arched domes and flying buttresses.
-And of course the modern age (post Franco) is represented by the golden arches.

In Leon you can get food that is representing each of the epochs: Pizza, Donairs, Fish on Friday, and of course the famous Big Mac.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't you know there are four epochs in Spanish culture all indicated by the use of arches?

-The Romans built acqueducts and bridges, many of which still stand the test of time.
-During the age of the Emirs the Arabs built keystone arches at the entrances to palaces such as Alhambra and in Mosques such as the one converted to a cathedral in Cordoba.
During the age of kings the Catholic church built Cathedrals with arched domes and flying buttresses.
-And of course the modern age (post Franco) is represented by the golden arches.

In Leon you can get food that is representing each of the epochs: Pizza, Donairs, Fish on Friday, and of course the famous Big Mac.

Well done!

Best meal ever was lunch in Elorriaga on the Norte, a hamletmwhich according to my guide had no services. I had some of those stale prepackaged magdalenas albergues call breakfast before leaving Zarautz. In zumaia at noon silly me thought she did not need to eat yet and walked on. Little did I know there was this uphill ahead of me. The escalators through out the town should have rand a bell! By the time I made it to Elorriaga I was a mess. It was 34 degrees at midday last fall in this area. And there I saw it. A Coca Cola parasol, and little green plastic chairs,with the same of some brewing company. The place was nothing to write home about, but the lady tending it was a gem.

I crawled asking of she had food, any food, even tuna would do. I was thinking a can of tuna. But she sent me out to have a seat. She comes back with a huge slice of perfectly cooked tuna, not the canned stuff! With a tomato salad with perfectly ripe tomatos. And then she offered me a glass of txacoli on the house, from the vineyard across the street, my first taste of Txacoli.

Needed food, quality food and prepared with love for a silly pilgrim walking the Camino for her annual weight loss . The best meal in my book.

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In 2005, I took a picture of a McD with a pilgrim shell on the sign. Possibly Leon? We didn't eat there.

I think some of the best meals I've had on the Camino were at refugios in places without restaurants, where 6-10 pilgrims pooled whatever food they had left with whatever was left in the kitchen by the last pilgrims to pass through.

In one place, this included good pate on toasted stale bread, a welsh rarebit-like thing of cheese melted with red wine and some chives from outside the building, served with more toasted stale bread, me cooking an apple/cinnamon omelet in olive oil for dessert, and three kinds of chocolate at the end. I love creative cooking!

We liked this restaurant
View attachment 20373

It probably really good. And once in a while I do go to McDonald's and I'm ok with that too. I'm kind of hoping that I can ride the wave of Spanish cuisine while I'm there though and leave the North American diet behind (we'll see how well I do). It's happened before in other foreign countries where I've succumbed at eaten at a McDonald's - but I have to say I felt a twinge of guilt about that.

I dont think that spanish meal are bland. Maybe that the cook puts a very slow quantity of salt beacause its reccomended by doctors. If you like you can ask for salt vinager or oil to the waiter. You dont need Red Turkish pepper spicebut if you like it...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There is a difference between Spanish food and pilgrim meals -- recognize that pilgrim meals are designed to be low cost, they are served much earlier than a typical Spanish dinner hour and don't really vary between cities (at least as we walked the Camino Frances...).

It's difficult to find anything but a pilgrim meal in most towns -- and also, unlike France, the cheese is mostly of the hard manchego type. There is a lot of dry ham.

The oranges were wonderful. The coffee was good. Gin and Tonics were the best in the world and the wine plentiful. But don't go on the Camino expecting great food unless you can align with the Spanish dinner hour (however, many of the small pilgrim towns cater only to pilgrims -- there isn't another dinner option available. It's not an inditment on Spain -- it's just part of the flow of the Camino....

I leave in 4 days for my 1st Camino. I had dinner last night with 3 recent returnees who said Pilgrim's Meals were horrible.
If I am hungry enough, i am sure road kill will taste like a gourmet meal.

I will figure out dinner when the time comes. I am sure there may be some mediocre days and some not.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I leave in 4 days for my 1st Camino. I had dinner last night with 3 recent returnees who said Pilgrim's Meals were horrible.
If I am hungry enough, i am sure road kill will taste like a gourmet meal.

I will figure out dinner when the time comes. I am sure there may be some mediocre days and some not.
thats the attitude to go with.. the very best pilgrim meal i had was in Cirauqui after puenta le reina , huge bowl of very fresh salad followed by ,tasty homemade meatballs in a wonderful tomato and herb sauce with pasta ,served to us with plenty wine in a converted wine cellar ,,i complemented the lady of the house and she said of course its good as most of the ingredients were from the village but also the secret was it was "made with love"

Matt; you have all you need.

Dear Matt ,you will enjoy the food, Iam a "foodie" did Sarria-Santiago last year, and Ferrol- santiago this year.We stayed in hotels& most had pilgrims menus at 10-12 euros inc . wine & water.All were very good ,some superb&wine was very potable,where they didn't do dinner[ rarely] they gave us recommendations.I USUALLY SKIPPED DESSSERT as it was usually ice cream,or mass produced,but my other 2 courses sufficed.At lunch on Camino Frances,we were really spoilt,the Ingles we often had to do our own,but when we found a place open we had incredibly cheap&TASTY LUNCHES.In Santiago itself this year we treated ourselves to the gourmet menu at theParador 40 EUROS superb ,especially when Ican compare with what Ispent in Canada 7years ago on fairly basic,but goood food

If you want to try a REALLY full bodied wine look out for Bierzo (around Villafanca del Bierzo). If you can find it search out Descendientes De José Palacios - worth walking 3/4 of the way across Spain for it!

Oh, the food is generally pretty good too!

And if it is too late for you to do that, then enjoy the main meal of the day (lunch) at a nice restaurant :)

I agree with that idea, jsalt. Spanish restaurants serve lunch till at least 3:30 and usually 4 pm. Since I don't feel good if I eat much while I'm walking, my routine frequently includes going out to a very late lunch after arrival and shower. Then only a light snack for dinner. Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hello Matt
I just finished walking across France (Geneva to Irun) and Spain (Camino del Norte) and my recommendation is take the Turkish red pepper. I love hot spicey food and that is not a Spanish favorite. The menu del dia is definitely the way to go for bulk but you will probably have to add to it on a daily basis, as I was plain and simply HUNGRY a lot of the time.
And one thing I found out : there is no such thing as a Bad Spanish wine.
buen Camino

The Spanish know how to make food.

I'm sure they do......Sadly many along the Camino missed that lesson :oops:

Seriously I suppose it's what you are used to at home....

If Sausage Egg and Chips is your dinner of choice, you'll love Camino food :)

In fact I actually had that for dinner in Zubiri and it was great! :rolleyes:

But then opinions regarding food are likely to be as varied as those on Accommodation....Packs....Boots.....Socks.....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Eat to live, don't live to eat.

My experience was that the further West we got, the better the food.
But anything tastes good if eaten in the right company.

Buen Camino

But then opinions regarding food are likely to be as varied as those on Accommodation....Packs....Boots.....Socks.....

Robo ... I've been reading your blog (You're now dep in the Meseta) and I'm impressed at the discipline it must take to record all these short videos and post them daily along with other pictures and text.

I've also picked up a few tidbits based on your own experiences and observations. Nice work.

Robo ... I've been reading your blog (You're now dep in the Meseta) and I'm impressed at the discipline it must take to record all these short videos and post them daily along with other pictures and text.

I've also picked up a few tidbits based on your own experiences and observations. Nice work.

Glad you're enjoying it Matt. It was fun ......mostly...to make. ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.