• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What albergue/hostal/hotel did you have good experience with in Santiago?

lettinggo

Hola
So, I saw some very nice reviews of different lodging in Santiago a few months back here on the forum.
After searching for a few hours without actually finding the post I remember, I put this out there knowing that many different options may come back.
Still, as I remember it, there seemed to be a few that many pilgrims recommended :)
So, maybe I am lucky and will get some good information.

Buen camino / bom caminho
Lettinggo

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola
So, I saw some very nice reviews of different lodging in Santiago a few months back here on the forum.
After searching for a few hours without actually finding the post I remember, I put this out there knowing that many different options may come back.
Still, as I remember it, there seemed to be a few that many pilgrims recommended :)

Lettinggo
Hi, when we are in Santiago we book a room in Hotel Pazo de Altamira.
It's agros the market.
Wish you well, Peter.

Attachments

• 20140525_190107.jpg
    20140525_190107.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20140526_102146.jpg
    20140526_102146.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20140526_102416.jpg
    20140526_102416.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 20
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To ends of the spectrum for you, both are wonderful:
First is San Martin Pinario, next to the Cathedral. The rooms there are simple, quiet, and imaculate. You can get pilgrim's rates...and it's got unbeatable camino history and atmosphere. And the best location in town.
Second is the Altair--a boutique hotel on a street above the Church of St Frances. Elegant without pretense with very lovely sincere staff. If you have the euros to spend, it's a very intimate and quiet place.

Have tried and liked San Martin Pinario, Fonda de San Roque and the Girasol.

The single room with shared bathroom at the Girasol has a skylight with beautiful views over the roof of San Martin Pinario, but... Oh the hike to get up those 4, yes, 4, flights of stairs after a Camino. But best view 25€ will buy you anywhere in the Western hemesphere. Menu is also super affordable.

San Roque is small, quaint, has an elevator and is run by lovely people. Rooms with antique furniture. Well renound reataurants just around the corner. It's the place the furthest away from the Cathedral, by a whole 3 minutes over San Marin and 45 seconds past the Girasol but has the advantage of making you go beyond the 3 mains Santiago old town drags.

San Martin is an experience, sleeping in converted nuns rooms a d walking past its beautiful atrium. If ypu can, ask to leave through the back and its private gardens at least once. Therés something special about buzzing ypurself out of a monastery! Location could not be better, bathrooms are a sight in theor modernity after a Camino, wine in the lounge is well, very well, priced. Place is impecable, just as nuns would have had it back in the day. It also has pilgrim rooms at a discount, and less "luxuary" if you book early enough by phoning.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you want the other end of the spectrum - 9 euros for a bunk in El Fin del Camino. We stayed there for the third time in June and are pleased to announce the kitchen is now well stocked with pots and pans.

Hola

Lettinggo
San MartinPinario-great location across from the Cathedral and a Pilgrim's room offering wine, coffee and a really good breakfast. Book ahead for a Pilgrim price. Also the Last Stamp Albergue.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just went to book Hostal Suso but unfortunately it is booked out. I've stayed there twice before and just assumed it would be ready and eager to have me back. Highly recommended if it is available for you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
First is San Martin Pinario, next to the Cathedral. The rooms there are simple, quiet, and imaculate. You can get pilgrim's rates...and it's got unbeatable camino history and atmosphere. And the best location in town.
Couldn't agree more...I stayed there several days. Loved it. 23 Euros. Plus each room has it's own bathroom AND this does include a breakfast - buffet style and they offer quite a few items.
Thank you Laurie for telling about this place (Peregrina 2000)

Attachments

• room.jpg
    room.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hotel Sete Artes, booked for one night, wound up staying 3. Not cheap, but not bad for a hotel. A block and a half from the cathedral.

Hotel Costa Vella e49-54. A few blocks to the Cathedral in heart of old town. A family owned botique hotel that we absolutely loved. A super breakfast of about e3-4 included a bunch of things.
Nice website in English or Spanish. No deposit required, they just took our word. We would not want to stay elsewhere.

Attachments

• DSCN4737.jpg
    DSCN4737.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Couldn't agree more...I stayed there several days. Loved it. 23 Euros. Plus each room has it's own bathroom AND this does include a breakfast - buffet style and they offer quite a few items.
Thank you Laurie for telling about this place (Peregrina 2000)

Hi, Angie, so glad you liked it, what's not to like?! The only trouble is that its popularity now means that you really cannot expect to call up a day or two before and get a room. I had a last minute change of schedule this year, arriving in Santiago a day earlier because of the group I was with, and was unable to get a room though I was contacting them a week ahead (this was in early July).

My practice is to book my last few nights there when I buy my plane ticket home. In the past I had no trouble moving the reservation around a day or so ahead of time (the staff is very prompt and responds almost immediately to emails), but looks like we have entered a new era. It wasn't a problem because there is no shortage of cheap places to stay in Santiago (had a 20 euro room in Pension Estela -- quiet, clean, private bath, a stone's throw from the cathedral), and then just moved over to San Martin the next day.

I'm there tonight. €15 private room. Shared toilets and showers. Wash hand basin in room.

Well stocked mini-market, washing machines, seats at the entrance with a view that are priceless!

Arrive before 9.30am and u can put backpack in room to return after 1.30pm

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
23€ at San Martin is a regular single room? I paid much more, and breakfast was extra, 8 or 10 €. This was in 2012 if memory serves me right.

23€ at San Martin is a regular single room? I paid much more, and breakfast was extra, 8 or 10 €. This was in 2012 if memory serves me right.

The 23 euro price is for a single private room on the fourth floor, which is their "albergue.". These rooms can only be booked via phone or email, the online reservation form will book you a room in the floors devoted to the hotel.

The rooms on the albergue floor come with a small bathroom in the room (of varying degrees of functionality and draining), but very clean. Big towels, clean sheets. Breakfast is included in the price. I think it offers great value for the price and the staff has always been very helpful to me.

The 23 euro price is for a single private room on the fourth floor, which is their "albergue."
When you book it, or even if you walk up to the desk without booking, you should clearly ask for the albergue or a "pilgrim room." They will not give you that rate unless you ask for it when you check in. The breakfast is very good and it is included in the price.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When you book it, or even if you walk up to the desk without booking, you should clearly ask for the albergue or a "pilgrim room." They will not give you that rate unless you ask for it when you check in. The breakfast is very good and it is included in the price.

San Martín Pinario is great, definitely better value than the parador next door (although that's great too, but preferably when someone else is paying).

I'd also recommend asking for a room on the west (courtyard) side of the building as the 4th floor east facing rooms have quite a severe slope on the ceiling and I bashed my head on it. Out of season I've twice been put on the more expensive 2nd floor (€40, I think) for the price of the albergue floor, but not last November. The difference is certainly not worth the extra money.

The Last Stamp. Lovely and wonderful staff. Great location. If you are looking for wonderful seafood, try Abastos 2.0, near the market. Buen Camino!!

I stayed at the Last Stamp. I really liked it. It's got pod beds, but not a lot of quiet privacy if that is what you are looking for. It's an albergue and hostel I believe. Open 24 hours - you get buzzed in after hours. The place was very clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful and they spoke English which helped me. I will stay there again the next time I walk!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We were treated to the San Francisco Hotel Monumento - a beautiful, touching and luxurious way to end our journey. We really experienced the tranquility and silence of this Franciscan convent and our last Pilgrim Meal was memorable. The hotel also offers a pilgrim rate for the one night as well as for your last pilgrim meal.

Hostal La Salle
Hotel Address: Tras Santa Clara, S/N
Santiago De Compostela, 15704, Spain
Hotel Phone Number: +34981585667

A pleasant walk from the Cathedral. Great bike storage facilities. No on-site restaurant or coffee, but a few within a few blocks.

I did not much care for the Parador. Stayed four nights, terrible WiFi, and as a single female found the hotel waitstaff less than acceptable (they were much more attentive to men and couples). Food was ok. Room was ok. The maid gathered up my phone as well as the towels, not even a "sorry" when they handed me my washed ruined phone. Returning from Muxia/finisterre I stayed two nights at the Marriott (AC Palacio del Carmen, a converted convent). What a delight. After I checked in (a beautiful suite with cathedral views) they sent up truffles and coffee as a welcome. Food (breakfast and dinner) outstanding. Excellent wifi, high end audio system for your iPhone/iPod, linens to die for. I was headed out to walk part of the Ingles and asked them if I could leave some of my belongings (suitcase/souvenirs) until I returned. When I checked in again my belongings were already in my room, another beautiful suite with cathedral views. This time the welcome gift was an amazing torte de Santiago and wine (and a welcome back note from the manager).

Get a sello at the parador if you must, but stay at the AC Palacio

Have tried and liked San Martin Pinario, Fonda de San Roque and the Girasol.

The single room with shared bathroom at the Girasol has a skylight with beautiful views over the roof of San Martin Pinario, but... Oh the hike to get up those 4, yes, 4, flights of stairs after a Camino. But best view 25€ will buy you anywhere in the Western hemesphere. Menu is also super affordable.

San Roque is small, quaint, has an elevator and is run by lovely people. Rooms with antique furniture. Well renound reataurants just around the corner. It's the place the furthest away from the Cathedral, by a whole 3 minutes over San Marin and 45 seconds past the Girasol but has the advantage of making you go beyond the 3 mains Santiago old town drags.

San Martin is an experience, sleeping in converted nuns rooms a d walking past its beautiful atrium. If ypu can, ask to leave through the back and its private gardens at least once. Therés something special about buzzing ypurself out of a monastery! Location could not be better, bathrooms are a sight in theor modernity after a Camino, wine in the lounge is well, very well, priced. Place is impecable, just as nuns would have had it back in the day. It also has pilgrim rooms at a discount, and less "luxuary" if you book early enough by phoning.

According to the history it was a Benedictine monastery for monks. If nuns inhabited those rooms they probably weren't "nuns" :)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.