• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What Albergues and experiences meant the most to you?

Aussie Pete

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2015
Hi my fellow Perigrinos

In 12 days I start my Camino from SJPDP.

I have my gear ready (7 kilos), shoes are sorted, begun my inward preparation.

Firstly, thanks to all of you who post and give advice. It is often conflicting but it all has been invaluable and even the ones I don't agree with have made me think.So, thanks.

I was curious for those who have gone before me, if you could nominate one albergue or experience that was very memorable, what would it be?

Just one! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We learnt lesson number one at the very first albergue in St Jean. Get back to the albergue by 10pm or you will be locked out! We offered to throw a friend’s sleeping bag down to him from the upper floor window when he couldn’t get in the front door!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Although 10 caminos and more than 450 nights usually in albergues provide limitless memories for which I am forever grateful, January 24, 2009, was singular.

I had walked 5 hours through strong wind, heavy rain, sleet and eventually dense snow up the Valcarlos route to the almost mythic monastery of Roncesvalles! Saw few people and no other pilgrims on the route; needed to ring the the monastery bell to ask for shelter and would be the only one staying in the frigid old winter albergue tucked opposite the cloister entrance.

When opening the monastery door the surprised monk greeted me saying "Senora in weather like this!" After stamping my Credential and offering hot tea, he invited me to the evening benediction. As always it was lovely. The service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated!!) in front of the magnificent silver sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and asked me to stand with them at the altar. ...In retrospect how special it was that snowy night to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood and will continue to stand throughout time. ...

Margaret Meredith

Beautifully written Margret.
The joy of the Valcarlos path.

In Estaing on the Le Puy , long slog into town , drizzle all morning until noon.
Beautiful hot shower, just the time for a short nap....not possible as we were asked....... would you like to attend Vespers ?
Yes..... said Her Majesty
Under a large lead light window in full afternoon sun i sat, the music and voices were very relaxing Margaret. My rib was nearly broken when the snoring started......Her Majesty has been doing that for 40 odd years now.
On awakening there were smiles on everyones faces............ with not one making eye contact.
It was a great evening with communal meal and much laughter at my expense.

Last edited:
Although 10 caminos and more than 450 nights usually in albergues provide limitless memories for which I am forever grateful, January 24, 2009, was singular.

I had walked 5 hours through strong wind, heavy rain, sleet and eventually dense snow up the Valcarlos route to the almost mythic monastery of Roncesvalles! Saw few people and no other pilgrims on the route; needed to ring the the monastery bell to ask for shelter and would be the only one staying in the frigid old winter albergue tucked opposite the cloister entrance.

When opening the monastery door the surprised monk greeted me saying "Senora in weather like this!" After stamping my Credential and offering hot tea, he invited me to the evening benediction. As always it was lovely. The service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated!!) in front of the magnificent silver sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and asked me to stand with them at the altar. ...In retrospect how special it was that snowy night to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood and will continue to stand throughout time. ...

That to me is prob the most perfect Camino story,end of.

Margaret Meredith

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Margaret Meredith
What a beautiful scene you have painted with your choice of words, thank you Margaret

The first one is always special - so for those starting in SJPDP - Roncesvalles sets a high standard of albergue-ness.

The first one is always special - so for those starting in SJPDP - Roncesvalles sets a high standard of albergue-ness.
If good weather and reasonable fitness, do you think stopping 1st night at Orisson is too short of a 1st day. This is my 2nd Camino coming up, 1st one by bike starting Pamplona, so, as yet I'm not experienced on the Pyrenees

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If good weather and reasonable fitness, do you think stopping 1st night at Orisson is too short of a 1st day. This is my 2nd Camino coming up, 1st one by bike starting Pamplona, so, as yet I'm not experienced on the Pyrenees

Hi Peter,
Not if you have a good day in STJPP , otherwise its a 33km [adjusted because of terrain] walk to Roncesvalles.
We never slept there as i'm not a fan of the 100 beds early in the walk , we like sleep to combat jet lag so we walked to Burgette an extra 5km , its a very nice village. On this occasion it was after walking to Valcarlos in the rain for the first night.

Last edited:
Hi Peter,
Not if you have a good day in STJPP , otherwise its a 33km [adjusted because of terrain] walk to Roncesvalles.
We never slept there as i'm not a fan of the 100 beds early in the walk , we like sleep to combat jet lag so we walked to Burgette an extra 5km , its a very nice village. On this occasion it was from Valcarlos.
Thank you, Thornley...I think it is true that the CF, and other caminos are going to vary greatly, depending upon where one decides to spend each night. Its a lottery I'm sure, but right now i feel that a difficult day on the Camino can be better than an ordinary day at work/home.

Margaret Meredith
I remember you MM...so glad you are still posting here~

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What do you mean by reasonable fitness? Don't be scared of the Pyrenees, most people (young and old, fit and unfit, male and female) make it over - perhaps a little sore. Most take a few aspirin (or ibuprofen) and walk on the next day. My apprehension about Orisson (it's a beautiful place) is what do you do for the rest of the day?
I think if you take your time, take lots of breaks, drink lots of water, it is very doable.

What do you mean by reasonable fitness? Don't be scared of the Pyrenees, most people (young and old, fit and unfit, male and female) make it over - perhaps a little sore. Most take a few aspirin (or ibuprofen) and walk on the next day. My apprehension about Orisson (it's a beautiful place) is what do you do for the rest of the day?
I think if you take your time, take lots of breaks, drink lots of water, it is very doable.
Thank you Paul, that gives me renewed confidence. I think the answer is (weather permitting), leave StJ early, have plenty food and water, and continue to Roncesvalles in the one day. If weather not favourable, heed advice from pilgrim office and maybe delay or go via valcarlos.

Thank you Paul, that gives me renewed confidence. I think the answer is (weather permitting), leave StJ early, have plenty food and water, and continue to Roncesvalles in the one day. If weather not favourable, heed advice from pilgrim office and maybe delay or go via valcarlos.
Also, strike up conversations with other pilgrims. It helps to pass the time and makes it easy to find a group for beer once you get there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi my fellow Perigrinos

Firstly, thanks to all of you who post and give advice. It is often conflicting but it all has been invaluable and even the ones I don't agree with have made me think.So, thanks.

I was curious for those who have gone before me, if you could nominate one albergue or experience that was very memorable, what would it be?

Hey Aussi Pete!
That's fantastic that you will soon be there... a great time of year to start. As to your question...
There are sooo many wonderful experiences and albergues along the way! Certainly Roncevalles, as has been said, is right up there. I also loved the albergue at Boadilla. As for highlight experiences, the Cruz de Ferro was wonerful - I was with 2 of my Camino family at the time and we shared a wonderful hour up there, thinking, reflecting, talking...
Also, some of the endless views on the Messeta will stay with me. Magical.
But of course, it was also so much about the people you meet...
Enjoy and have a great time. I will be there again in September. Can't wait!

Lovely post Margaret. We didn't even get to attend the pilgrim mass in Roncesvalles. They locked the church doors on us promptly at 8pm ( our dessert got served late at the pilgrim dinner). Later we were told the church would open in the morning at 7am so we could at least look inside. It didn't open. Not an encouraging start to the Camino but at least the albergue was heated.

On my 1st Camino I had booked Orisson because I had no idea if I was able to walk to Roncesvalles in one go. I arrived at Orisson much too early in the morning so just had a drink there and cancelled and went on to Roncesvalles. I remember taking many breaks, it was very hot that day and picking blueberries with Italian pilgrims. Great fun.
The worst bit is actually walking to Orisson. It isn't as steep afterwards. We all made it that day, except lovely Australian pilgrims who were carrying VERY heavy packs.

The experience that meant the most to me was stopping at Orisson. On our first camino, we walked to Roncesvalles and i was exhausted. The incorrect decision for me was biting off too much early in the walk and paying for it later. Our second walk, we enjoyed SJPP during the morning, had a leisurely walk to Orisson, stoppingfor a cuppa on the way and arived at Orisson feeling great. We enjoyed the views, conversations with passing pilgrims and new acquaintances. Our routine was then set, doing shorter legs each day. We felt great the whole way. Only 14 weeks till we go again and we have booked into Orisson again. Counting the sleeps.

We had so many good experiences with albergues, it hard to pick a favorite. Two church services stand out to me. We went to Compline at Rabanal de Camino. The service was at a local monastery of German Monks who minister to the pilgrims. It was beautiful, with readings done by the pilgrims. By then we knew many with whom we worshiped and sharing this service was special. We lit a candle there for our wonderful son and had him in our hearts and prayers. The second was at mass at O'Cebreiro. My daughter walked from Burgos to Santiago in 2009. O'Cebreiro was her favorite spot. So we planned to light a candle for her there. The walk up was beautiful but as we arrived in town, clouds and cold closed in. It was sleeting and windy. After sharing a fabulous time singing at one of the local bars, we went to the Mass before supper. The small church was full and warm with the heat of fellow pilgrims. The light inside seemed to be luminous to me. The worship was lovely and we lit our candle for our wonderful daughter. Liz

Best way to stay at Orisson is to leave at a more leisurely pace from St. Jean even buy some lunch to eat on the way. There's also a cafe at Huunto to sit and watch the world go by. Get to Orisson mid afternoon and enjoy a beer and conversation on that deck.

Buen camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Best way to stay at Orisson is to leave at a more leisurely pace from St. Jean even buy some lunch to eat on the way. There's also a cafe at Huunto to sit and watch the world go by. Get to Orisson mid afternoon and enjoy a beer and conversation on that deck.

Buen camino
My concern was that I would get to Orisson and then want to hike around to explore the beautiful scenery (assuming a non misty day) and if I was hiking around anyway I might as well be going somewhere.

Interestingly I met a man who on his first camino had stayed at Orisson. Overnight the weather got bad and the next day the pass was closed. Their only choice was to walk back to Saint Jean and go the Valcarlos route.

Interestingly I met a man who on his first camino had stayed at Orisson. Overnight the weather got bad and the next day the pass was closed. Their only choice was to walk back to Saint Jean and go the Valcarlos route.
Best not to stay there then if you have concerns.

We were concerned about exactly this and were told, if this were to happen, that we could get a ride from Orisson to Valcarlos in the morning. Or, depending on the severity of the weather there was the possibility of someone accompanying us, i.e. the pilgrims, to the col de Lepoeder. Perhaps that was then, and this is now ..... anyway, we never had a chance to test either, as the Route Napoleon was a definite no-go, and we walked from SJPP to Valcarlos.

So many things come into play in making an albergue a good or memorable place to stay. After a cold, wet day of walking, an albergue that is warm and comforting is going to rank way up there. Maybe you end up in an albergue that is filled with your Camino family or there's a communal meal and then that place becomes special. I'd put Bercianos del Real at the top of my list, because that albergue fulfilled all the above criteria.

There were so many excellent albergues that we stayed at, but the one that really sticks out in my mind was in Los Arcos. We stayed at the Casa de la Abuela. Joseph was such a pleasant host and the albergue was very clean and neat. There was a kitchen for cooking and for a small fee, he did your laundry for you (more time to rest or explore the area). Then, that night he took us, and a couple other pilgrims, out for "Pincho and Pote" night and taught us the fine art of eating and drinking, Spain style :) I will definitely stay there on our next Camino!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The original owner/manager was still there last November and as gracious and helpful as ever. Breakfast was copious and delicious with homemade pound cake amongst the regular offerings.

MM

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Buen camino
My exact plans. I plan on staying my first night on the 26th in St. Jean and I'm booked to stay in Orisson on the 27th. I am so excited, this is my first Camino. And I'm traveling solo, but I know I'll meet lots of other pilgrams, which will make my journey incredible. Buen Camino from this very excited Canada.

Taking your time... How many days did it take you total? I have booked 45 days... Two days each end for travel. Do you think I can take my time like this?
The experience that meant the most to me was stopping at Orisson. On our first camino, we walked to Roncesvalles and i was exhausted. The incorrect decision for me was biting off too much early in the walk and paying for it later. Our second walk, we enjoyed SJPP during the morning, had a leisurely walk to Orisson, stoppingfor a cuppa on the way and arived at Orisson feeling great. We enjoyed the views, conversations with passing pilgrims and new acquaintances. Our routine was then set, doing shorter legs each day. We felt great the whole way. Only 14 weeks till we go again and we have booked into Orisson again. Counting the sleeps.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
[QURebecca. 40 plus days allows you to walk with ease and grace. Our lesson learnt was going for the big km's for the first two weeks, blowing out badly by the time we reached Carrion. Our 2012 camino, we took our time doing smaller legs, especially over the first two weeks and felt great. This year we are starting from SJPP on 22 July and don't fly out till 16th September so have plenty of time for Frances, then on to Finisterre and Muxia. You should comfortably be able to do Frances with some important rest days.
Buen Camino. becca Lehman, post: 293842, member: 29525"]Taking your time... How many days did it take you total? I have booked 45 days... Two days each end for travel. Do you think I can take my time like this?[/QUOTE]
Hi rebecca

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Taking your time... How many days did it take you total? I have booked 45 days... Two days each end for travel. Do you think I can take my time like this?

Start like an old man and you will finish as a young one.
Do not reverse this method Rebecca as the damage is mostly done at the start.

Start like an old man and you will finish as a young one.
Do not reverse this method Rebecca as the damage is mostly done at the start.
I am staying overnight on Day 1 at Orisson. I will leave mid morning to enjoy the am in SJPDP, then do the trek uphill.

I want to start slowly so I can ease my back and knee into it.

If I start day 2 from Orisson to Roncesvalles, that is a 16Km walk approx. Is there another place to stay if I am finding this 2nd day a challenge? I am convinced I will be ok, and just want an option so I dont push it too hard causing possible issues from days 3 thru 40 ( yes, I am taking the luxury of 40 - 45 days to do the whole thing - Finisterre included).

I am currently plotting a rough outline of all days so I can book my flights this week.

I did 6.5 km yesterday in ym brand nw shoes....they felt good. Lots more training and hill trianing to do

Hi my fellow Perigrinos

Aussie:

Granon is my favorite on the Frances.

Ultreya,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am staying overnight on Day 1 at Orisson. I will leave mid morning to enjoy the am in SJPDP, then do the trek uphill.

If I start day 2 from Orisson to Roncesvalles, that is a 16Km walk approx. Is there another place to stay if I am finding this 2nd day a challenge? I am convinced I will be ok, and just want an option so I dont push it too hard causing possible issues from days 3 thru 40 ( yes, I am taking the luxury of 40 - 45 days to do the whole thing - Finisterre included).

I am currently plotting a rough outline of all days so I can book my flights this week.

I did 6.5 km yesterday in ym brand nw shoes....they felt good. Lots more training and hill trianing to do

Dan:

There are no Albergues between Orisson and Roncesvalles. There is a shelter on top of the mountain.

Ultreya,
Joe

Nothing after Orisson Dan and if you are feeling OK the walk to Burgette is very easy.
Casa Rural No27 on the main drag was the best place we stayed at before Burgos. Hot bath , beautiful people , beautiful accommodation and an early start 5km
[ 1 hour] ahead of the mob the following day.

Orisson is great, but Granon was my favorite. The "mattresses" (more like gym mats!), however, were not my favorite! It was worth it, though.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Orisson is great, but Granon was my favorite. The "mattresses" (more like gym mats!), however, were not my favorite! It was worth it, though.

I am sure many will laugh at this post, especially you experienced people.

I was wondering if I should stay in an Albergue after the Pyreneees or go to a place with a HOT BATH to soak my (more than likely) wearing legs and body! LOL

Are you planning on staying in Roncesvalles? Because if you are, the albergue is very comfortable (well, I thought so anyway). No baths but lovely showers, all very new and clean.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
See if you can find a bucket and fill it with cold water.

Biarritzdon...you are hilarious!
I just thought i'd ask. I am planning on staying in the Albergue in Roncesvalles, but thought about maybe doing something different.

Domigee, someone suggested Granon %km down the road.

Oh, but Grañon is miles away.. (Unless there's another one???)
It's in La Rioja territory, between Santo Domingo de la Calzada and Belorado :confused:

Re-read the thread and yes, Grañon is one of the albergues that leave a special memory but nowhere near Roncesvalles :)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh, but Grañon is miles away.. (Unless there's another one???)
It's in La Rioja territory, between Santo Domingo de la Calzada and Belorado :confused:

Re-read the thread and yes, Grañon is one of the albergues that leave a special memory but nowhere near Roncesvalles :)
Thank You

You're welcome :)
If you decide against Roncesvalles, there's a hotel in Burguete (favourite of Ernest Hemingway), about 3 km away. I have never stayed there so can't say what it's like.
And as for Biarritzdon's bucket of water....t'is true! You'll find many pilgrims with their feet in cold water at the end of the day (plastic washing bowls can often be found where the laundry is done;)).

Last edited:
You're welcome :)
If you decide against Roncesvalles, there's a hotel in Burguete (favourite of Ernest Hemingway), about 3 km away. I have never stayed there so can't say what it's like.
And as for Biarritzdon's bucket of water....t'is true! You'll find many pilgrims with their feet in cold water at the end of the day (plastic washing bowls can often be found where the laundry is done;)).

Thanks Everyone for their advice and suggestions. I imagine I too will be using bucket of water for the odd foot soak!

I know I wont find bathtubs in Albergues. I guess I should have said that I had knee surgery this year and also have a torn disc in my back. My dr. said 'GO FOR IT'when I told him about the camino. He suggested a hot bath or two on the tough, tough days, which is why I said I may pass on the Roncesvalles Albergue in lieu of a hotel.

I will re-phrase my question. Does anyone know of a hotel for a single in or near Roncesvalles?

Thanks,
Dan

Check out 'hotel Roncesvalles', looks good but didn't look at prices....
Otherwise 'Hotel burguete' in... Burguete.

I just thought i'd ask. I am planning on staying in the Albergue in Roncesvalles, but thought about maybe doing something different.

You will find on the Camino that truth is stranger than fiction or vica versa. I really wasn't trying to be humorous because you will learn quickly how to deal with your basic needs in the most fundamental ways:D.

You will find truth is stranger than fiction, I really wasn't trying to be humorous. You'll find out:D

Biarritzdon: I know you were serious now. At first I read your reply as using a bucket to soak in which why I laughed. I know I will be soaking my feet....and probably side by side with many others.

Dan

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Check out 'hotel Roncesvalles', looks good but didn't look at prices....
Otherwise 'Hotel burguete' in... Burguete.
I stayed at Hotel Roncesvalles ...... actually, I was coerced into it. It was extremely comfortable, but there was no tub in our room. If it is a tub you're after, perhaps you will need to ask.

I am sure many will laugh at this post, especially you experienced people.

I was wondering if I should stay in an Albergue after the Pyreneees or go to a place with a HOT BATH to soak my (more than likely) wearing legs and body! LOL

Now Dan please listen or read and take this in;
I had previously said Burguete is 3 km further on than Roncesvalles.....and its flat as a tack.
You will reach there starting from Orisson , crook knee and all , without any problems.
As i said in Burguete there is a Casa Rural called Casa Loigorri , no 27 San Nicholas , which is the path of the camino , the main street in town
The cost is 20 euros for a single.
There are only 2 chambers in the house let to pilgrims.
They are beautiful people and this is my last comment on your bath;
** As you can see we have walked a few ways , we stay in Paradors and also alberques and the bath in this home is better than the Paradors.
*** If you get the Miam Miam Do Do it will show you how many rooms in each place [pension , albergue, hotels ] it gives you prices for singles , the cafes etc in town and in my honest opinion i would not walk one inch of the Frances it.

So my friend listen as there will be no further comments from here ;
In Ronscavelles you have 4 places , single prices are 10e with 92 others in your room [albergue] or 40-55 e a single in the hotels.
**Walk another 3km.
In Burguete you have the above place i recommend for 20 euros / single / private room and as i said a bath you will drown in if you fall asleep.
You also have 8 other places of abode ranging from 18e to 63e for a single and private room.

And to conclude the next days walk into Zubiri is only 18km , this can be very hard and treacherous so stay there and not Larrasoana, enough already said already about that place.
The next day is then a 5 hour max. [ 17km] walk into Pamplona.
Without Miam Miam Do Do you are flying blind mate,
You will get one in Toronto and its only in french.
Buen Courage, Buen Camino.
David

PS And in relation to Domigee's recommendation of Granon a further 190km stay as its very good , we did in 2008.
However Dan on all other camino's we stayed in Santo Domingo , 8km short of Granon and treat yourself to a night in a Parador , the first one you come to in town.
There are no pockets in the shroud mate ...send an e/m when there , you will have deserve it and lets be honest at our age........ whats a 100e over 6 weeks.

Last edited:
We stayed in a hotel in Pamplona - with a JACUZZI! All I wanted was a bath. What a treat that was! A bath every now and then is great. We had the biggest bathtub ever in Puenta La Reina. My kid could just about do laps in it. ;) You'll be able to find tubs along the way, no worries.

There were many fine albergues along the camino, but the best with regard space, cleanliness, spacious showers/changing rooms,
friendly staff, good food was Albergue Santa Brigida in Hontanas, about 29k beyond Burgos.

Buen camino

There were many fine albergues along the camino, but the best with regard space, cleanliness, spacious showers/changing rooms,
friendly staff, good food was Albergue Santa Brigida in Hontanas, about 29k beyond Burgos.

Buen camino

Hi Irish,
Its lovely , clean, quiet with good food served by nice people.
Another secret being only 16 places in 3 rooms , if you are early enough in booking you get the double room.
It ticks all the boxes,.

I'm just back from my 2nd Camino and this time round I would say the one that stood out as La Faba Albergue.

Not only is the location absolutely beautiful with spectacual views across both sides of the hill (breaks up the uphill walk to Cebriero and so much lovelier a spot I think) but it is charming, atmospheric and even has a great kitchen. The people were lovely, the welcome warm and relaxed. Although the albergue was fab (pardon the pun) we ate with others at the veggie place in the village which was AMAZING - home grown food and good local wine. We then all went and sat together in the little church next to the albergue, someone pulled a guitar out and we sang Beatles and other songs by candlelight.

Absolutely wonderful memories and one of my happiest albergue experiences.

http://lafaba.weebly.com/photos.html

Hi my fellow Perigrinos

It is worth going to serbal y la luna -2 km out of Caccabelos -past the municipal -just keep going on the way
It is a small Albergue serving delicious vegetarian food-not your normal pilgrim menu -wonderful warm atmosphere and great bunks
It's worth visiting -

Like Jellycat, I thought La Faba was amazing...and if you stay there, in addition to what she says, you get to walk the last 5 Km up to O Cebreiro first thing in the morning rather than in the last thing in the afternoon.
But it's a 4-way tie for me: the Santa Maria in Carrion, Granon, and El Beso outside of Triacastela were also sooooooo special.
(And I didn't get to stay at the albergue in Zabaldika (it was closed), but the kindness I received there from the resident sisters--and the atmosphere of the place--made me wish I could!)

Stay at orisson !!! It may seem to short but for a first day -after perhaps a not such good sleep-it lol seem like a good idea -and then starting to walk to ronscavalles next morning is lovely .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm just back from my 2nd Camino and this time round I would say the one that stood out as La Faba Albergue.

Not only is the location absolutely beautiful with spectacual views across both sides of the hill (breaks up the uphill walk to Cebriero and so much lovelier a spot I think) but it is charming, atmospheric and even has a great kitchen. The people were lovely, the welcome warm and relaxed. Although the albergue was fab (pardon the pun) we ate with others at the veggie place in the village which was AMAZING - home grown food and good local wine. We then all went and sat together in the little church next to the albergue, someone pulled a guitar out and we sang Beatles and other songs by candlelight.

Absolutely wonderful memories and one of my happiest albergue experiences.

http://lafaba.weebly.com/photos.html

I agree La Faba is a very nice Albergue run by Germans. The Hippy/vegan place was closed when we were there but there is a tienda where you can purchase food to cook at the Albergue. A nice alternative to O'Cebriero.

Ultreya,
Joe

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back