• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

What an Outlandish Suggestion !

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Some things just 'aren't cricket'.....

Pat and I are planning our next Camino for 2018. By way of background, I walked the CF From St Jean to Santiago in 2015 on my own as my first Camino, and this year Pat and I walked the CF from Sarria as a 'taster' for her. And to see if we could manage walking as a couple. In some ways it's much harder than walking alone...

And she enjoyed it so much that she wants to try from St Jean next time. Next year will be a 'year off' as there is some other travelling we want to fit in. (anyone that I met in 2015 from the USA watch out! You might get house guests)

So 2018 will the big one for Pat. I'm really looking forward to us having that extended period 'on the road' together. Our shortie of just 8 days this year meant that Pat was only just getting 'into the zone' by the time we reached Santiago. In fact the last 2 days she was walking on air. It was great to see :)

Due to injury, we had to have luggage transported this year. And hey, that's cool. But in our planning discussions for 2018, Pat declared that she wants us to carry all our gear. For added flexibility. Wow, she really is getting serious....

What this actually means, is that I am carrying my gear, and a fair bit of her's too :rolleyes:

As she is 5' 1" and about 100lbs wet, and suffers from a few lower limb ailments I'm happy to be the pack horse.

What this means of course, is that we are trying to go as light as possible. Her experience of this year has been a great trial in that regard, so it looks like we are down to about 11 kgs between us.

I have come up with this great theory on how I will carry 7-8 kgs whilst managing my achilles tendonitis. (A remnant of 2015) It's a very simple theory. If I can lose 10-15 kgs in weight, then I can carry a 7-8 kg pack or more with ease. As the weight on my feet overall will still be less. That's the theory anyway and a good reason to shed the weight.

So the planning is going well and the packing list taking shape. We'll just book one day ahead and see each day how we feel about the distance for the next day.

Then the bombshell was dropped last night! I mean to say. Fairs fair and all that.....

It's kind off down to the sleeping arrangements. We like our privacy. And so we don't do the whole Albergue thing. Pat is up and down to the bathroom all night, so she worries about disturbing others, and me? Well I snore. A lot apparently. (So does she, but we just won't go there)

It did become a bit of an issue walking this year. It was the wine with the Pilgrims menu you see. What's a Pilgrim's menu without the wine? And I do so love the wine. Pat doesn't drink at all.....

So a couple of nights this year, it seems my wine consumption (of only 2-3 glasses) raised my snoring to new heights :oops: This usually results in things being thrown at me during the night, or an elbow in the ribs. And of course the result next morning is a grumpy sleep deprived Pat :(

So last night....

My Camino planning has been turned upside down. I'm not sure I even want to go anymore. It's starting to look more like a school outing with very strict rules, and harsh discipline for 'stepping over the line'....

The bombshell was.............NO WINE! No compromise.

What the xxxxxxxxx ! What's a Camino with no wine? Can you imagine walking through the vineyards of Rioja and not even being able to taste the local nectar at the end of the day...

That's it...................planning has stopped. This just ain't cricket !

It will now be a war of the wills to see who gives in :p

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I like your wife! And I like how she has been throwing you all these curve balls. Not the dainty, delicate, non walker, rice cooker addict we once were thinking of is she! :D Next thing you know she will have you sampling a night in an albergue and decide no more pensiones. Plus ... you'll get the top bunk :eek:.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Maybe if you gave up wine for 6 weeks at some point beforehand, you would earn credits that could be applied during the camino.

If that proposal doesn't fly, you could try giving up for 12 weeks in advance, just to get wine while you are in Spain!

Also losing weight should help reduce snoring. So promise 12 kilos weight and 12 weeks wine-free. Whatever it takes!

Maybe if you gave up wine for 6 weeks at some point beforehand, you would earn credits that could be applied during the camino.

If that proposal doesn't fly, you could try giving up for 12 weeks in advance, just to get wine while you are in Spain!

Also losing weight should help reduce snoring. So promise 12 kilos weight and 12 weeks wine-free. Whatever it takes!

This might just work! Running it past the 'Boss' ;)

What's a Camino with no wine?

A great opportunity to get more out of your comfort zone than usual.
A great opportunity to look for joy with something else (and not on the wine).
A great opportunity to focus more on the camino itself.
A great opportunity to discover things you missed about the camino.
A great opportunity to get a taste about how's life for people that don't drink alcohol either for choice or forced (e.g.: due to some medical condition) although in that case, you would have to ban yourself not wine but also from other alcoholic beverages (orujo, beer, cider...). I don't know if you wife just doesn't drink wine or if she doesn't drink alcohol at all but if the later, it would be too a great opportunity to empathize more with her.
A great opportunity to... I'm pretty sure you can make the list bigger if you give it a thought or two.

I can understand it can be hard for you but if you success on making a camino without drinking wine (and without grumbling for it), most likely you'll have an enriching experience.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A great opportunity to get a taste about how's life for people that don't drink alcohol either for choice or forced (e.g.: due to some medical condition) although in that case, you would have to ban yourself not wine but also from other alcoholic beverages (orujo, beer, cider...). I don't know if you wife just doesn't drink wine or if she doesn't drink alcohol at all but if the later, it would be too a great opportunity to empathize more with her.
A great opportunity to... I'm pretty sure you can make the list bigger if you give it a thought or two.

I can understand it can be hard for you but if you success on making a camino without drinking wine (and without grumbling for it), most likely you'll have an enriching experience.

You're no fun at all :(

I didn't exactly walk my first Camino in a drunken stupor ;)

I look forward to being enriched.............:rolleyes:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

:):):) Thank you, @Castilian. I'm one of those people who can be happy, on or off the Camino, and never touch a drop of that stuff.

And I expect @Robo is just having a bit of fun. :)

Do you mean your post was a joke/tongue in cheek?
I didn't suggest such thing.

I was just teasing ;)

"A great opportunity to discover things you missed about the camino"

I had a mental picture of me staggering past things that I had missed LOL. :eek:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do you mean your post was a joke/tongue in cheek?
I didn't suggest such thing.

Just having a bit of fun Castilian ;);)

I just mentioned to Pat that walking through the vineyards smelling the grapes and not allowing me a glass of wine with dinner, would be rather cruel. Like showing our Dog a bone, putting it away, then smacking him on the nose with a firm 'No'! :eek:

I think she's coming around slowly :D

Would your lovely wife be willing to try using ear plugs? There are some very good ones that are super comfortable. As a very light sleeper I have found them invaluable at times.

Wine is a very important food group, especially on the Camino. You have to eat, otherwise you might be too weak to carry her stuff.

Another idea: You could present her with a high end set of ear plugs.

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When in Spain, wine is important. But all at moderate volumes. Good food (plenty of it in Spain) deserves good wine. It will be an act of pure cruelty to deny you a couple of glasses for dinner/nightcap before bed! :)

BTW: I have started reading your blog (I am thoroughly enjoying it: You obviously (to me) found the right way/meaning of the Camino from the very start: good on you!), and to me, it seems you got everything right from the start of your walk: clever planning and performance! (Mind you, I have only gotten with you to Los Arcos so far, so I don't know the ending, and please: Do not say anything here, as I want to read the whole thing!) ;-)

Triple like, @Castillian.
And oh dear, we Buddhists are totally, totally no fun.:D:D (Hee heee....)
I've done the Camino 3 times without a drop of vino, quite happily, so while that may be a challenge, it is possible. And the day after the fountain at Irache, I had no hangover, unlike most everyone else.

But heck, @Robo, don't take my word for it--try it and see for yourself.
[Context, in case you take me for a stuffy teetotaler--once upon a time (long ago--it seems like another life) I used to buy cases if Spanish champagne (stocking up for parties), and the hardest decision of the day was sometimes what wine to have with dinner (Marlborough Chardonnay or Aussie red?). So I'm not reflexively anti-vino, but I've discovered I'm personally much saner and happier and a better person without it.]

[Edit...OTOH, losing weight?...now this very sensible idea is a much bigger challenge!:confused:;)]

Last edited:
[rides in on her white horse to save the day]
How would you like to be snore-free and still enjoy your wine? No need for expensive Sleep Lab sessions or an expensive and noisy CPAP machine either.
http://glidewelldental.com/services/dental-sleep-medicine/silent-nite-sl
I obtained this device from my dentist several years ago. Speaking as the daughter of a locomotive, I was suddenly now socially acceptable. Lightweight, fits easily, you can still talk, adjusts to your personal anatomy. Very well worth it!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Would your lovely wife be willing to try using ear plugs? There are some very good ones that are super comfortable. As a very light sleeper I have found them invaluable at times.

Hmm. I suggested that. As well as playing white noise on her phone or playing soft music..... Need to work on that a bit more....

Wine is a very important food group, especially on the Camino. You have to eat, otherwise you might be too weak to carry her stuff.

Buen Camino

Dennis, so many people don't realise this! Loading up on solid food of all varieties as well as wine is not only essential to keep the body functioning but great support for the local community ;)

Though after walking 800 kms I only lost 1 KG in weight last time.... :oops:

When in Spain, wine is important. But all at moderate volumes. Good food (plenty of it in Spain) deserves good wine. It will be an act of pure cruelty to deny you a couple of glasses for dinner/nightcap before bed! :)

BTW: I have started reading your blog (I am thoroughly enjoying it: You obviously (to me) found the right way/meaning of the Camino from the very start: good on you!), and to me, it seems you got everything right from the start of your walk: clever planning and performance! (Mind you, I have only gotten with you to Los Arcos so far, so I don't know the ending, and please: Do not say anything here, as I want to read the whole thing!) ;-)

Glad you're enjoying the Blog Alex. You're very kind.

I won't spoil the read, though the 'wheels do tend to fall off' a couple of times ;) It's not all 'beer and skittles' as they say in the UK...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
[rides in on her white horse to save the day]
How would you like to be snore-free and still enjoy your wine? No need for expensive Sleep Lab sessions or an expensive and noisy CPAP machine either.
http://glidewelldental.com/services/dental-sleep-medicine/silent-nite-sl
I obtained this device from my dentist several years ago. Speaking as the daughter of a locomotive, I was suddenly now socially acceptable. Lightweight, fits easily, you can still talk, adjusts to your personal anatomy. Very well worth it!

This could be a life saver! Many thanks.
I was thing of leaving Pat at home rather than miss out on the wine :D

Triple like, @Castillian.
And oh dear, we Buddhists are totally, totally no fun.:D:D (Hee heee....)
I've done the Camino 3 times without a drop of vino, quite happily, so while that may be a challenge, it is possible. And the day after the fountain at Irache, I had no hangover, unlike most everyone else.

But heck, @Robo, don't take my word for it--try it and see for yourself.
[Context, in case you take me for a stuffy teetotaler--once upon a time (long ago--it seems like another life) I used to buy cases if Spanish champagne (stocking up for parties), and the hardest decision of the day was sometimes what wine to have with dinner (Marlborough Chardonnay or Aussie red?). So I'm not reflexively anti-vino, but I've discovered I'm personally much saner and happier and a better person without it.]

[Edit...OTOH, losing weight?...now this very sensible idea is a much bigger challenge!:confused:;)]

Losing weight is a definite goal! You're right.

Dinner without wine. On the Camino. In wine country. That's a tricky one. A real test of self discipline.

I'll often go weeks or months without a drop of vino, but I have to say, dinner on the Camino is so much nicer with a Rioja or two :)

I wish we could still get some of these mouth peices here. There is new regulation where I live that only allows specially trained dentists to prescribe and make antisnoring mouth peieces, and they cost 3k$. Yup, that is 3 000$!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've lost almost 20lb in the last 10 months of training without changing my diet ( more an indication of how inactive I was prior! Work was always an excuse). I heap my pack up to 20lb (9kg) just so the 7 or 8 that I will carry feels easier. Today as I did my 15 miles I mulled on the 20 lb on my back and thought "Wow I carried this 24/7 !"
Eye opener

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good luck @Robo, Pat sounds like a wonderful woman. The tables have definitely turned since your first post about walking a Camino together :)

Yes the tables have indeed turned somewhat. The Camino works in Mysterious way!

Though as for a wonderful woman! She is delighting in watching me squirm and chuckling at the advice I'm getting :(

I think a compromise is not far away though ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I like your wife! And I like how she has been throwing you all these curve balls. Not the dainty, delicate, non walker, rice cooker addict we once were thinking of is she! :D Next thing you know she will have you sampling a night in an albergue and decide no more pensiones. Plus ... you'll get the top bunk :eek:.

Funny you should say that :oops:

Only last night in reviewing the packing list she suggested a couple of bag liners 'just in case' we stay in an Albergue! :eek:

I'm telling you right now, you do not want the two of us in your Albergue. By the time she gets up to go to the bathroom for the third time in the night, and I'm into my chorus of snoring, we would both be evicted onto the street :D

Yes the tables have indeed turned somewhat. The Camino works in Mysterious way!

Though as for a wonderful woman! She is delighting in watching me squirm and chuckling at the advice I'm getting :(

I think a compromise is not far away though ;)
I think it's time for Pat to become a forum member ......

I'm wondering if wine without alcohol would increase your snoring too. If not, that would be an alternative that could make both of you happy (or so I think).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Pat and I are planning our next Camino for 2018. By way of background, I walked the CF From St Jean to Santiago in 2015 on my own as my first Camino, and this year Pat and I walked the CF from Sarria as a 'taster' for her. And to see if we could manage walking as a couple. In some ways it's much harder than walking alone...

And she enjoyed it so much that she wants to try from St Jean next time. Next year will be a 'year off' as there is some other travelling we want to fit in. (anyone that I met in 2015 from the USA watch out! You might get house guests)

So 2018 will the big one for Pat. I'm really looking forward to us having that extended period 'on the road' together. Our shortie of just 8 days this year meant that Pat was only just getting 'into the zone' by the time we reached Santiago. In fact the last 2 days she was walking on air. It was great to see :)

Due to injury, we had to have luggage transported this year. And hey, that's cool. But in our planning discussions for 2018, Pat declared that she wants us to carry all our gear. For added flexibility. Wow, she really is getting serious....

What this actually means, is that I am carrying my gear, and a fair bit of her's too :rolleyes:

As she is 5' 1" and about 100lbs wet, and suffers from a few lower limb ailments I'm happy to be the pack horse.

What this means of course, is that we are trying to go as light as possible. Her experience of this year has been a great trial in that regard, so it looks like we are down to about 11 kgs between us.

I have come up with this great theory on how I will carry 7-8 kgs whilst managing my achilles tendonitis. (A remnant of 2015) It's a very simple theory. If I can lose 10-15 kgs in weight, then I can carry a 7-8 kg pack or more with ease. As the weight on my feet overall will still be less. That's the theory anyway and a good reason to shed the weight.

So the planning is going well and the packing list taking shape. We'll just book one day ahead and see each day how we feel about the distance for the next day.

Then the bombshell was dropped last night! I mean to say. Fairs fair and all that.....

It's kind off down to the sleeping arrangements. We like our privacy. And so we don't do the whole Albergue thing. Pat is up and down to the bathroom all night, so she worries about disturbing others, and me? Well I snore. A lot apparently. (So does she, but we just won't go there)

It did become a bit of an issue walking this year. It was the wine with the Pilgrims menu you see. What's a Pilgrim's menu without the wine? And I do so love the wine. Pat doesn't drink at all.....

So a couple of nights this year, it seems my wine consumption (of only 2-3 glasses) raised my snoring to new heights :oops: This usually results in things being thrown at me during the night, or an elbow in the ribs. And of course the result next morning is a grumpy sleep deprived Pat :(

So last night....

My Camino planning has been turned upside down. I'm not sure I even want to go anymore. It's starting to look more like a school outing with very strict rules, and harsh discipline for 'stepping over the line'....

What the xxxxxxxxx ! What's a Camino with no wine? Can you imagine walking through the vineyards of Rioja and not even being able to taste the local nectar at the end of the day...

Robo.... sorry to sound very direct. The lady always wins!!! This lovely Lady is looking at a CAMINO.. not a pub crawl (just my humble opinion... after reading what u wrote!). I normally do not taste the "honey" from wine growing areas whilst walking, but I do admit to indulging whilst in Santiago!!! The lovely Lady wants the pilgrim experience (again, my humble opinion)... some spiritual, mystical experience perhaps? She is probably cheezed off (sorry about this) with the wine and dine pilgrimage. I'd say this (if I may) Love is giving.... and pilgrims ASK/REQUEST. Tourists DEMAND. Where are you planning on wearing your walking boots in the morning? Buen Camino :), Caesar

So last night....

How are you going to loose weight and consume all that wine in advance of the trip? How will Pat sleep without the pace of your snoring? How much will it cost for separate rooms? Suffering isn't required......... Ultreya.... Willy/Utah/USA

Arh, I feel Pat's pain. Life with a snorer is no fun.... but I do have an alternative to the 'No wine' compromise.

Get yourself a custom made snore guard. It fits over your teeth comfortably and keeps your jaw in a position to prevent snoring. Worked a treat on my partner, until he lost weight and no longer needed it.

Truly a sleep saver, and relationship saver!

Buon Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
since red wine has histamines in it, accounting for a lot of the nasal congestion people experience, de-alcoholizing it may not help ;-)

So last night....

Why not tackle the source of the problem. Get some good medical advice and treatment on the snoring cause or at least try to have it alleviated. It should be of benefit long term. Likewise with frequent bathroom visits. Medical science and medicines have moved on a bit. Good luck

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

So last night....

Why not consider having the pack transported. It is very reasonable and saves your feet and your joints

So last night....

I don't know bro..... If "no wine" is a deal breaker for you in terms of walking with yourpartner, I'd say you might have somethings to look at...
Buen Camino!

No wine - no Camino ;-)

And before somebody goes ballistic at me, led me add that I do know that a pilgrimage is much more than food and drink! However, part of wandering foreign lands consist also in savouring culinary offerings as well as experiencing spiritual growth ...
Buen Camino, SY

In a far and distant past I led a bible study group called 'vino veritas'. Some loved it, some were offended by the name ... Buen Camino de la vida, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Robo
How would you feel if you were sleep deprived for the length of time that you expect it is going to take for the two of you to walk your camino? Is it really an equivalent to be wine deprived? Is there another way for you to regard this dilemma other than a war of wills between you and Pat? Just asking.

@Robo
How would you feel if you were sleep deprived for the length of time that you expect it is going to take for the two of you to walk your camino? Is it really an equivalent to be wine deprived? Is there another way for you to regard this dilemma other than a war of wills between you and Pat? Just asking.

It's a very light-hearted 'war of wills' don't worry. I totally get the sleep deprivation. :oops:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Why not tackle the source of the problem. Get some good medical advice and treatment on the snoring cause or at least try to have it alleviated. It should be of benefit long term. Likewise with frequent bathroom visits. Medical science and medicines have moved on a bit. Good luck

Tried both over many years with nil results sadly. I think significant weight loss will help.

Why not consider having the pack transported. It is very reasonable and saves your feet and your joints

We did that last time, but like the idea of increased flexibility by carrying our stuff. I reckon we won't have too much weight. But we can always revert to pack trans[port if required.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Arh, I feel Pat's pain. Life with a snorer is no fun.... but I do have an alternative to the 'No wine' compromise.

Get yourself a custom made snore guard. It fits over your teeth comfortably and keeps your jaw in a position to prevent snoring. Worked a treat on my partner, until he lost weight and no longer needed it.

Truly a sleep saver, and relationship saver!

Buon Camino

Yep. Tried that too. Sleep labs as well. I reckon losing 10kg might work!

How are you going to loose weight and consume all that wine in advance of the trip? How will Pat sleep without the pace of your snoring? How much will it cost for separate rooms? Suffering isn't required......... Ultreya.... Willy/Utah/USA

I'm not drinking wine at the moment. And on a diet ;)
Separate rooms are a big No No. Not what you think.....
I will avoid the wine if all else fails. Fear not :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Robo.... sorry to sound very direct. The lady always wins!!! This lovely Lady is looking at a CAMINO.. not a pub crawl (just my humble opinion... after reading what u wrote!). I normally do not taste the "honey" from wine growing areas whilst walking, but I do admit to indulging whilst in Santiago!!! The lovely Lady wants the pilgrim experience (again, my humble opinion)... some spiritual, mystical experience perhaps? She is probably cheezed off (sorry about this) with the wine and dine pilgrimage. I'd say this (if I may) Love is giving.... and pilgrims ASK/REQUEST. Tourists DEMAND. Where are you planning on wearing your walking boots in the morning? Buen Camino :), Caesar

All a light hearted debate don't worry ;)

In fact if anyone enjoys a wine and dine Camino it's Pat! (though she doesn't drink) We spend ages seeking out the yummiest places to eat. Not that I'm complaining! On our Blog this year I called her Joostina for good reason ;) But she can do it without gaining weight :eek:

Tried both over many years with nil results sadly. I think significant weight loss will help.
This may mean a pre-Camino Camino for you in order to lose the weight before walking with Pat ;0).

This thread is hilarious. I think you and Pat should just bite the bullet and stay in albergues :eek:. You two are such good friends, you’ll have so much fun joining in with the “real” :rolleyes: (just kidding!) pilgrims. It really isn’t difficult, I promise. And, of course, a good start is staying at Orisson for an easy introduction to communal living. Don’t forget the earplugs (both of you :)). Once a week, as you near a big town . . . Burgos . . . Leon . . . book the Parador :D / Ritz for some well-deserved pampering :cool:. You will enjoy your own hotel room SO much more . . . then next day, back to albergues :eek: . . . for more interesting stories to tell. Oh, and for sure, as a French pilgrim once said to me . . . “no vino no camino” :).
Jill

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would add that having a meal without a glass of wine is uncivilized in wine producing countries.;)
:eek:Oh, no! I am uncivilized!! And so are Pat and @Icaros.:p
(Hee hee...perhaps let's wait until after everyone's had several glasses of rioja and then check again.):cool:

[Not that anyone here would be doing more than heavy snoring after a few glasses--which is relatively harmless. But more than a few can have obnoxious consequences.
I've never lost sleep in an albergue due to someone not drinking, but have in several ways thanks to those who had been....by the snoring, or by being awakened by a soused stranger trying to climb into my bunk by mistake, or by another stepping on me trying to stagger into or out of an upper bunk, or by pilgrims trying to break into a locked albergue, or (funnily) being awakened by the ones trying very hard to get to bed silently (impossible when a few sheets to the wind). Not to mention the party noise outside or downstairs.]

Hee hee, Robo...I'm with Pat on this one; IMHO she definitely holds the high moral ground. ;)

But she can do it without gaining weight :eek:
Not that's not cricket! No fair.
I reckon losing weight is much harder than passing on the vino. But (fortunately for you @Robo) probably much more effective in stopping the snoring.

@Robo - You have a knack for creating threads that you maybe wish you hadn't! :p
But we're enjoying it! Thanks @Robo....

Robo,
This may call for a pre-Camino Camino: to Italy or France, along a wine trail. Get some training in, get the wine in and then when you go on the Camino to visit Santiago, you'll have had the wine and either won't need more (hahaha!) or will have won Pat over to the notion that wine is part of the experience for some people! :D:D:D:D:D
(I'm a nondrinker, but I get that people do like their vino!)
Or
Pat gets one day: you don't drink and she gets to sleep (no snoring) then you get one day: you have your wine and she gets to listen to your symphony at night! Alternate and there you have it, as democratic a walk as possible! LOL
This is a grand thread! I hope Pat is enjoying it as much as we all are! ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
part of wandering foreign lands consist also in savouring culinary offerings as well as experiencing spiritual growth ...

There are so many culinary options that you hardly can savour them all. Does it matter which ones you miss?

Some loved it, some were offended by the name ...

It recalls me the heavy debate there was in Spain with two priests that gave rosquillas during the communion rite at mass. They had enthusiastic supporters and detractors.

I led a bible study group called 'vino veritas'.

I'm sure it was very interesting as well as it would be very interesting one about the meals of Jesus but the one that would fascinate me would be one about the panem de caelo because, as you may know, it's said that omne delectamentum in se habentem and if you already had (omne)delectamentum, you wouldn't look for it elsewhere. So if you ever give one about this subject, please, let me know.

I would add that having a meal without a glass of wine is uncivilized in wine producing countries.;)

Uncivilized? :confused: I never thought it. I guess being not just from a wine producing country but from a wine producing province makes me even more uncivilized... Well, I'm so uncivilized as to respect your point of view as much as I disagree with it. BTW, I'm wondering if there's any civilized people on the Earth.

:eek:Oh, no! I am uncivilized!! And so are Pat and @Icaros.:p

...add me to the list but let me point out that we are uncivilized just to the eyes of who consider us uncivilized. I don't see us like uncivilized people and I think I'm not the only one that considers we aren't uncivilized...

Believing is seeing or seeing is believing or both or none. Pick your choice!
Hi, Castilian,
I agree with you, although I enjoy my wine with food, and a cold beer during my breaks at daytime walking, but couldn't help responding to your sig.quote, so I'll give you one of my fav. stories:

An astronaut and a brain surgeon were having a discussion about whether there existed a higher being.

The astronaut said: " I have been farther into space than any other human being, but I have never seen any trace of a God!"

The brain surgeon replied: "I have been operating deeper into the human brain than any other surgeon, but I have never seen any trace of a thought..."

Think about it....;)

What we cannot see, can exist.
What we cannot explain, is just something not yet explained.
What we call un-/supernatural, is simply something natural that we do not yet understand.

BTW: I do not call myself religious, but spiritual.

Last edited:
...add me to the list
Happily, @Castilian. I have to say I'm quite cheerfully 'uncivilized'...whatever the heck that actually means. :cool:
Think about it....
Ha ha...I can't resist biting the hook, Alex.
Agreed. Simple intangibility is pretty common, and no proof of anything much other than the fact that we live in profound ignorance about most of what's happening in the universe.
There are any number of conclusions one could draw from that, so I'm not going to go there, except to reflect on the risks of taking intangible fleeting thoughts too seriously. ;)

Including the ones about wine or no wine...which is why I'm enjoying this thread so much. Thanks, @Robo, for making lighthearted 'trouble'!

(This could be going in a philosophical direction and so I'll say (as a nod to our beloved and hard-working mods) that we're still having fun and playing nicely out here...and to suggest taking this part of the discussion to the PM realm if anyone's so inclined...)

So last night....

Wine is a good lubricant for your bones

Thanks for the interesting posts about how to work out the Camino when traveling with a loved one. And on snoring and wine drinking. It seems like the issue is really about how to work with spouse so that you can take the trip together and both enjoy it. How do you decide who makes the compromises? Where do you draw the line? If one person wants to carry all their gear and the other wants to ship ahead, what do you do? Walking the Camino with my husband brought out things in our relationship that we had not looked at before. It was difficult but in the end very rewarding. Only you and your wife can decide what works for you both. I am glad that you are sticking up for what you want. You sound like an accommodating person - i.e. willing to carry more than your share of the gear. But no wine! That earned your protest. I don't have any answers, but good for you to voice your preferences. Only thing I can think to suggest is a compromise - maybe wine every-other day. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Thanks for the interesting posts about how to work out the Camino when traveling with a loved one. And on snoring and wine drinking. It seems like the issue is really about how to work with spouse so that you can take the trip together and both enjoy it. How do you decide who makes the compromises? Where do you draw the line? If one person wants to carry all their gear and the other wants to ship ahead, what do you do? Walking the Camino with my husband brought out things in our relationship that we had not looked at before. It was difficult but in the end very rewarding. Only you and your wife can decide what works for you both. I am glad that you are sticking up for what you want. You sound like an accommodating person - i.e. willing to carry more than your share of the gear. But no wine! That earned your protest. I don't have any answers, but good for you to voice your preferences. Only thing I can think to suggest is a compromise - maybe wine every-other day. Good luck and let us know what happens.

At the end of the day Louise. 'She who must be obeyed' will be obeyed :oops:

I might have to 'negotiate' a few wine allowed days along the way. ;)

€149,-

So last night....

Wait a minute...every body knows..."No Vino, No Camino". Enjoying a glass/bottle of local wine at the end of each day is part of the experience, its part of the pilgrim menu and...the early pilgrims certainly drank wine and ale.

Our Camino family was 4-6 people and we divided up the room assignments in the Casa Rurals or private albergues based on snorers vs non-snorers. If you could find another couple, she could sleep and you could drink the vino!

But then, we thought about having t-shirts made which would say "Vino on the Camino". (I had problems sleeping but that was due to the hardness of the mattresses and my complaining hips, not my snoring family members.). Loving the thread - thanks @Robo.

Wait a minute...every body knows..."No Vino, No Camino". Enjoying a glass/bottle of local wine at the end of each day is part of the experience, its part of the pilgrim menu and...the early pilgrims certainly drank wine and ale.
oh dear there goes my hope of giving up the "red juice" on the camino ..... so darn EXCITED !!! right now :cool::rolleyes:

OR drop someone off a cliff :p:D... OHHH I don't mean it literally .....

This thread is hilarious. I think you and Pat should just bite the bullet and stay in albergues :eek:. You two are such good friends, you’ll have so much fun joining in with the “real” :rolleyes: (just kidding!) pilgrims. It really isn’t difficult, I promise. And, of course, a good start is staying at Orisson for an easy introduction to communal living. Don’t forget the earplugs (both of you :)). Once a week, as you near a big town . . . Burgos . . . Leon . . . book the Parador :D / Ritz for some well-deserved pampering :cool:. You will enjoy your own hotel room SO much more . . . then next day, back to albergues :eek: . . . for more interesting stories to tell. Oh, and for sure, as a French pilgrim once said to me . . . “no vino no camino” :).
Jill
hahahah... so understand this ...:):D

Robbo,

My dear soon to be deprived Camino friend, I have given much thought, prayer and contemplation to your predicament, and, believe I have invented a word to describe your situation and the torment you face.

If I may, I will share that word with you and all that face the same challenge in the future.

That word, which I hope will bring you comfort, peace and solace in the face of your demonic challenge is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Giggleferkingdooblydurkingurstywiggy.

There now, does that make things easier for you?

Buen (no red wine)Camino........ Which doesn't rule out beer by the way

I would lose the 12kg first and see if that alone gets rid of the snoring. Then have some red wine each night and see what the snoring is like. If you have an iPhone there's an app that you can download that records your night sounds. No wine in the Camino is like s day without sunshine!! Lol

So last night....

Arrive b4 2 in the afternoon,forget pilgrims menu,eat when the locals do at midday,menu del dia,simpeler food which comes with simple wine,have your fill and siesta until the heat leave the day at 6 .get up wash,explore the village,shops reopen at 5 ,get supplies for brakefast/walking early,roll back to sober sleep snoring and major resting already done for the night.

@Robo must be wondering where are the times when wine healed people and water made them sick. Maybe if you recalled her those times existed...

@Robo must be wondering where are the times when wine healed people and water made them sick. Maybe if you recalled her those times existed...
@Castilian
Well, the first letter to Timothy in the New Testament advised him to: "No longer drink only water but take a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments." (I Tim. 5:23) but I, for one, can enjoy wine on occasion while being very grateful that safe water, essential for life, is widely available and generally free to drink (although sometimes costly to produce).

I know this was all in fun, but other solution might be putting pillows behind your back so you sleep on your side, or propping you up so you are sleeping almost sitting up. It's not histamines causing the post alcohol snoring, nor will breathe right strips help. Weight loss may help, but may not solve the problem

another solution may also be to limit your snoring to those times she is in the bathroom:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Back