• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What are "must do's/haves" before departing the states?

Josher

Time of past OR future Camino
september 2015
Hello all. I will be departing 10 September for stockholm from New York. I have never traveled outside of the states and plan on taking two weeks of travel around Europe before beginning the camino frances. I have a passport, backpack, boots, a sleeping bag, and a tent. Im 28 years old and feel like I can get by with the bare essentials. If there is any advice that someone with experience can share with me, it would be much appreciated. My main concern is that I will get to europe this fall and feel like an unprepared schmuck. Please advise if you know of something I absolutely should do before departing. Thanks so much. -Josh

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Josh and welcome! Any particular reason you are taking a tent? If it's for the camino, you might want to search the forum for tent/no tent related discussions. Take half of the stuff, twice the money and a sense of humour, that's always good advice. Also a bit of Spanish and whatever other languages you might need is always appreciated!

Keep in mind that the less you take, the less you have to keep up with. Don't take any valuables that you can't keep with you at all times----including showering, sleeping, socializing. To keep from feeling unprepared, gear test everything you plan to take in order to make sure it works as you hope it does--for instance quick dry garments to wash out and put back on in a matter of hours. Have an extra debit/credit card account in case something happens to one of them. Be sure and let your bank(s) know that you will be using cards overseas. Email copies of important papers to yourself (passport/insurance) so you can access them if necessary. Discuss trip with someone near and dear before leaving and check in with them once in awhile so they don't panic. Most of all, don't worry about feeling like a schmuck. Embrace the joy!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Josh, you can lose your phone, your tablet, your camera, your backpack, etc., but if you have your passport, a debit/credit card and some cash you will be OK. Buy a travel money belt to keep that super important stuff safe. Wear it under your clothing, keep it in bed with you at night and take it with you to the bathroom/shower. Buen Camino!

And, if you don't want to be 'bothered' while you are traveling in Europe, wear a cheap wedding band on your right index finger. You might still be annoyed by some persons, but not by all if they think you are married. (A ring on your left hand signals you are 'only' engaged...)
If you go to Paris, it's VERY expensive! Go to markets to get your food--a little baquette, some delicious cheese, some fruit...if you like wine or beer, a little wine or beer... Also be aware of the pick pockets and scam artists. (Google these to learn a bit more so you can know what and who to look for and how to avoid them.)
But most of all, in Paris--as in all of Europe (especially the Camino), take a photo of yourself with the big goofy grin you will have plastered on your face. I'll tell ya, get used to it. You'll be wearing it a lot! :)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello all. I will be departing 10 September for stockholm from New York. I have never traveled outside of the states and plan on taking two weeks of travel around Europe before beginning the camino frances. I have a passport, backpack, boots, a sleeping bag, and a tent. Im 28 years old and feel like I can get by with the bare essentials. If there is any advice that someone with experience can share with me, it would be much appreciated. My main concern is that I will get to europe this fall and feel like an unprepared schmuck. Please advise if you know of something I absolutely should do before departing. Thanks so much. -Josh
learning a few words of the language of the countries you'll be traveling in will do wonders in reducing the "schmuck" factor (Schmuck, in german language, btw means also: Jewelry /precious stones / adornment/s)
check on www.wunderground.com the historic weather of the places you intend to travel and see what the weather has been like in the past few years in the location of your choice.
september is my favorite travel time in europe - it can mean golden light and gentle warm sun, or muggy hot, or bloody cold.
my travel/camino pants featured slim pockets for credit cards/ passport. that's where i kept mine and was done w/ that money-belt business and that untucking shirt procedure.
dare to explore food-wise. and you might like to stay away from soda bubbles and stuff of that sort and see what the local beverage industry has to offer.
take time to linger on those piazzas, town squares etc. people take their time when having lunch or dinner. there it's less 'eat and run' -
if you don't smoke - you might be surprised to see (and smell) how much smoking is going on. again, depending where you will be.
and even if it's hot - air conditioning is not the norm. ice cubes in drinks isn't the norm either.
depending how tall you are - you might find euro beds short in some locales. often felt like sleeping in "hobbiton" in some small pensao's where i stayed.
have an open heart and spirit - be curious. but not a fool on steroids.
train stations are in the middle of town in the majority of cases. airports are connected to a railway system.
don't know your prude-o-meter, but in europe people seem much more relaxed/at ease about their bodies. sun bathing topless in public parks - not a rarety. nobody batting an eye. children in their midst too gasp. totally untraumatized. if you do stare though: you . will . look . like . a . schmuck .
regardless how many local language words you have picked up :)
have fun -
some towns/places have no curfew - like berlin, as i recall. people sit outside and consume alcohol with a meal, in lovely beer gardens, or 'Heurigen', perhaps even listening to Jazz ...
generations mix and mingle in public places,
the experience of 'my space' is different. you might be surprised how "up close and personal" some busrides/train rides can feel like. again, depending on where you are.
while getting on a bus, in some place people queue up - elsewhere it can be a mob scene (of sorts) and you'll have to 'be local' to get onto the bus :)
perhaps - upon entering the EU - you might be asked to show your return ticket? or if you have sufficient funds available? or note address' of places you will be staying/visiting (hotel reservation? a friend?)
have a blast - be amazed --- in a hopefully good sense -
buen camino.
ah -- another thing i often do: bring along something twinky/light weight from the place you live. i had small photo cards of california redwood trees, or some sage for smudging, a key chain from a famous local university or whatnot ... small gifts - just for fun.

And, if you don't want to be 'bothered' while you are traveling in Europe, wear a cheap wedding band on your right index finger. You might still be annoyed by some persons, but not by all if they think you are married. (A ring on your left hand signals you are 'only' engaged...)
Sorry, not true! We have a very mixed European family, not to count the friends. I do no know of any of them that wears their wedding ring on the right hand and that includes me, who got married in Europe!
Who does make anexception are the Dutch Protestants who, yes, wear their wedding ring on their right hand!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sorry, not true! We have a very mixed European family, not to count the friends. I do no know of any of them that wears their wedding ring on the right hand and that includes me, who got married in Europe!
Who does make anexception are the Dutch Protestants who, yes, wear their wedding ring on their right hand!
vaguely remember a discussion in that regard ages ago - seems that in many german speaking areas the wedding ring/band is (often) on the right index finger. everywhere else seems to be on the left index finger... - switzerland is left too...ringwise :)
haven't the foggiest why that is so .... if anyone does know - i'd be interested to learn about it. thanks

vaguely remember a discussion in that regard ages ago - seems that in many german speaking areas the wedding ring/band is (often) on the right index finger. everywhere else seems to be on the left index finger... - switzerland is left too...ringwise :)
haven't the foggiest why that is so .... if anyone does know - i'd be interested to learn about it. thanks
The explanation given was that the left hand is nearer the heart!
Yes, Claudia, I think I've seen some Germans wearing their ring on the right hand. Maybe with them too, a question of defining their religion? Catholic or Protestant.

Who does make an exception are the Dutch Protestants who, yes, wear their wedding ring on their right hand!

Hmmm.
According to The Source of All Knowledge ( ;) ) (Wikipedia):
(In) "Bulgaria, Russia, Lithuania, Greece, Georgia, Ukraine, Poland, Austria, Hungary, the Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, Spain,..., the wedding ring is worn on the ring finger of the right hand.
In Germany both ways are common, left-hand wearing being more typical of Protestants, right-hand of Catholics.
In other countries, such as Ireland, Sweden, Italy, Croatia, Slovenia, Romania, Turkey, and the UK, it is generally worn on the ring finger of the left hand."

I guess we're both right, Anna! :)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Apart from the Dutch, which follows as I mentioned: Catholics on the left hand, Protestants on the right. ( I'm married to a Dutch Catholic)!
We have both Catholic and Protestant friends and we all proudly wear our ring according to our religious practices!
Anyway, I think we are getting slightly off course from the original posting!

The explanation given was that the left hand is nearer the heart!
Yes, Claudia, I think I've seen some Germans wearing their ring on the right hand. Maybe with them too, a question of defining their religion? Catholic or Protestant.
...nearer to the heart -- like that one :)
thanks -

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You probably won't need the tent if you are planning to explore stay in the larger cities.
Camping sites in Sweden are almost always located far off and outside the cities.

There are lots of accommodations everywhere. Pick up a Lonely Planet book on Europe for good advice on hostels and basics.

Observation regarding wedding bands: I am Protestant, and wear by wedding band on my left hand, my wife are Catholic and wear her wedding band on her right hand, so does her father and mother.

Then again: thinking back on my own youth and single life - I did not mind at all being approached during my travels, so depending on mind set, why worry about such a thing. It is part of life. ;):cool::D

Last edited:
Actually, I would suggest (although it's your travelling, not mine), that you walk the Camino first, and then do your travelling. First, the chances are that you will encounter all sorts of people from across Europe who will happily invite you to visit them in their home town and, if not put you up, will make arrangements for you and show you around; second, a fortnight of travelling around Europe can just present the Camino with a frazzled backpacker, now pressed for time; third, if it turns out that you want to take extra time to do your Camino, it takes away the pressure of an imminent departure date; and fourth, you'll be a better traveller after a Camino. As far as the wedding ring discussion goes, married pilgrims have told me that the presence of a ring does not seem to discourage the interest of a focussed philanderer!

The other advice handed out looks practical and is worth a thought.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you are planning to sleep in your tent you should get information about where free camping is allowed and where it isn't.

I agree with oursonpolaire: first Camino, then Europe.

About the ring, I believe that one man wearing a wedding ring seems to be more interesting for some women. ;)

walk the Camino first, and then do your travelling

Good advice! You could then walk the camino as fast or as slow as you like, and then visit the European pilgrim friends you met along the way with the leftover time you have. Not possible the other way round. Jill

Hey Josh,

First of all, congrats for taking the plunge and traveling abroad. Not everyone get the guts to do this!
I've been traveling all over the world (I live in Scottsdale, AZ but used to live in NYC and England) and here is my essential list for when I travel by myself overseas: (Some of this was mentioned above, but wanted to give you my full checklist. It may be a bit overkill, but will put your family at ease knowing you did all of this.) This contains nothing about packing (I have an entire different list for that and there are tons of posts on this forum for packing for the Camino... but don't forget your international adapter for your phone charger!)... This list is just what to do before traveling abroad. It's stuff I wish I knew when I first started traveling internationally in my 20's. I LOVE traveling internationally and it's one of the best things I have done in my life. It's a wonderful adventure and nothing to EVER be afraid of. Just keep your head on straight, just like you would at home and ENJOY every moment!

Hope you enjoy and let me know what you found helpful!
  • Passport - Passport must not expire during the time-frame of your trip (they usually want 6 months on it) - you should be good here
    • I then take a couple photo's of this. I store one in my bag and store one on-line where I could get anytime from an internet cafe in case the passport was ever lost.
    • I also take a picture and keep in my phone.
  • Other Documents, Entrance/Exit Fees & Immunizations - I consult the State Department and make sure the countries I am visiting don't require other documents like Visas, extra immunizations, etc. http://www.state.gov. Also, some countries charge additional entrance/exit fees and you need the cash on-hand - nothing extra is needed for Sweden and Spain for the Camino, so you are fine here.
  • Register with State Department - I register myself on the State Department site my itinerary. It's so they know I am out there and they actually send emails if there are any issues in the region. It actually was helpful for me once (yeah, sometimes I travel to crazy areas of the world.) :)
  • Itinerary - Leave an itinerary (with some contact information) with your family so they know "generally" where you will be and how to contact you. If you lose your phone, have a backup plan and have at least one number memorized or a document stored on-line somewhere you can access from an internet cafe.
  • Credit Cards/Debit - I pick the credit cards/debit cards I am going to travel with. I usually have my debit and two credit cards (one is a backup for in Europe they frequently use mobile/wifi credit card readers and many times they cannot read my card. Europe is much more advanced in banking than the US and their cards usually have the chip. We are still in the dark ages with the magnetic swipe. That does cause issues sometimes, so usually one of my magnetic cards work.
    • I then call each bank (using number on back) and let them know my travel dates. They then will not place a hold on my cards.
    • I also make sure to have a 4-digit PIN associated with each card
    • I usually record each credit card and customer service number (both the local US and collect number to call internationally) on a password protected file and keep uploaded somewhere or with family, etc. So if I get anything stolen, I contact this sheet and immediately call all my banks and report the lost card(s). I have actually had to do this several times in my travel. Not a biggie but it SAVED me!
    • Credit Card with no international fees - Take at look at your credit card and make sure they don't charge additional fees for every transaction. They can charge up to 3%, which adds up. It might be worth getting a different one just for this.
    • Check your on-line statements periodically - You never know if someone cloned your card. It happened to me in Mexico one time, so I make it a practice now. Simple and takes me a couple minutes about once or twice a week.
  • Cash - I always order some of the local currency from my bank before I leave. Depending on the country, it may take them a few days to get for you. You pay the actual conversion rate. Converting at the airport and those other money conversion places charges you extra fees and not worth it. When I am in the country and need more money, just use the local ATM. But NEVER use a mobile or portable ATM. Always use one outside or inside a bank. There are many swipe scanners in the mobile ones... even in the US.
    • Bank Fees - You will be charged with bank fees each time you use the ATM, just like here when you take cash from a different bank, but it's a bit more due to international fees. Here is a tip:
      • ATM with no international fees - This is now going to be my practice, is to open a Charles Schwab High Yield Investor Checking Account. I like this also because I can deposit in the account only the money I need, and if my card is ever stolen, they won't have access to my entire bank account. My friend on the Camino used this and when she needed more money, her husband deposited for her from home. http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/banking_lending/checking_account
    • Money Belt - Great suggestion above. I was actually pick-pocketed once in Rome from an expert (while we were in a crowded bus). He got under my closed coat and into a clasped purse that was UNDER my coat and stole my camera. Usually that was where I stored my passport, cash and return plane ticket. That day, I put all those valuables in the money belt and so thankful I did. Please know, this wasn't shared to scare you; Europe is just as safe, if not safer than New York. Just keep your head straight and be aware, as anyone should when they are not in their home surroundings.
  • Cell Plan & Apps -
    • International Coverage - US plans generally don't work internationally unless you add an internal component to them. First, make sure your phone can get international coverage. Just contact your provider. I had an iPhone 4S which does provide international service along with Verizon. All I did, for extra $25 per month is allow for emergency data downloads up to 100MB. While in Europe, the first thing I do is TURN OFF the Data. I lived on wifi for 99% of my time in Europe, for most cafe's, hostels, alburges provide wifi. Only in emergencies when I needed to get googlemaps up and running, would I turn on my data.
    • Text - Remember, your TXTs are charged when international... your unlimited plan doesn't work for international text. So use What's App or other type of communication tools instead.
    • Map Apps - Also, there are tons of apps out there, but the one I love for city maps is CityMaps2Go. I purchased the Pro version which allows you to download all major european cities off-line. I used this just a few months ago while in Paris. It's so cool for it is like Google maps in finding local bars, restaurants, hotels, etc, but also tracks your GPS location, withOUT using your data plan. I was completely lost in Paris and I was able to navigate my way. I downloaded many of the Provinces and big cities along the Camino before I went and referenced these maps along the way.
    • CaminoPlaces - Ivar has created a new app for finding other pilgrims, alburgues, etc on the Camino. This came out after I walked my Camino, but I know I would have loved this app and was actually thinking of developing one myself. Sometimes you want to know if a café is open in the town ahead, if a pilgrim is near by, etc.
  • Information about the Country - I always do a bit of research on the country I am visiting before I go, their weather, customs, holidays, festivals and other great stuff. Here is a few sites I look at:
    • CIA.gov - seriously, they have some cool information here
    • LonelyPlanet.com - love their site and books
    • Just google....
  • Travel Sites - Periodically along the Camino, or during my international trips I would want a private room, hotel, B&B etc. Here are sites I use:
  • Country's version of "911" - Find out how to dial the emergency number for the local country. Guaranteed it's not "911.". Thank goodness I have not had to use this yet, but if you are reading this forum, sadly pilgrims needed to use the number just last week.
  • Home Responsibilities -
    • Bills - Make sure you have your home bills covered. I have everything on-line now, so I just paid all my bills via my phone while on the Camino.
    • Mail - Our US Postal service has a great phone app where you can place a hold on your mail for a month. I did it and then let it sit at the postal office. Then set a reminder for myself when the month was up (for I was gone 5 weeks), went into the app and set another hold. When I got home, they had a hug bin of mail waiting for me at the post office that I picked up.
    • Plants, pets... - You know the drill. I have a home, so I set light timers in my house for safety and let my neighbors know when I was leaving so they could keep watch.
  • Travel etiquette and other tips - I thought this blog had some good tips for those traveling abroad for the first time. http://chrisguillebeau.com/28-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-i-started-traveling/
If you want to read about my Camino, join me at http://caminoconcierge.com

Happy Travels and Buen Camino!
Michelle

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you go to Paris, it's VERY expensive! Go to markets to get your food--a little baquette, some delicious cheese, some fruit...if you like wine or beer, a little wine or beer... Also be aware of the pick pockets and scam artists. (Google these to learn a bit more so you can know what and who to look for and how to avoid them.)
But most of all, in Paris--as in all of Europe (especially the Camino), take a photo of yourself with the big goofy grin you will have plastered on your face. I'll tell ya, get used to it. You'll be wearing it a lot! :)
Really?!! The poor guy is just looking for advice about his first great adventure! Let's not scare him by thinking he has to protect himself with a wedding ring. Should we tell him to wear an evil eye for all of the gypsies outside of the train stations...or maybe some garlic to ward off the vampires he will encounter?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
As from the examples of the 2 pilgrims that passed:

Tell those you Love & leave behind you love them.
Good point!! We should do this more often anyway, but especially when we are embarking on an adventure beyond our familiar safety nets.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Really?!! The poor guy is just looking for advice about his first great adventure! Let's not scare him by thinking he has to protect himself with a wedding ring. Should we tell him to wear an evil eye for all of the gypsies outside of the train stations...or maybe some garlic to ward off the vampires he will encounter?

When I walked/hiked alone in Europe in my 20s, I got a lot of unwanted and undesired attention from men. Someone told me about wearing a wedding ring and a lot of that harrassment stopped.
Yes, he is looking for advice, which was offered. The OP has also been offered other advice here, all of which he is completely free to take and use, or chose not to use.

Thank you Icacos.
Please add some emoticons or 'LOLs' or something next time to indicate that you are trying to be funny, LauraK. :)

Apart from the Dutch, which follows as I mentioned: Catholics on the left hand, Protestants on the right. ( I'm married to a Dutch Catholic)!
We have both Catholic and Protestant friends and we all proudly wear our ring according to our religious practices!
Anyway, I think we are getting slightly off course from the original posting!

I think you are right, Anna! Erm, left. Um, correct! Hahaha! :)

Hey Josh,

First of all, congrats for taking the plunge and traveling abroad. Not everyone get the guts to do this!
I've been traveling all over the world (I live in Scottsdale, AZ but used to live in NYC and England) and here is my essential list for when I travel by myself overseas: (Some of this was mentioned above, but wanted to give you my full checklist. It may be a bit overkill, but will put your family at ease knowing you did all of this.) This contains nothing about packing (I have an entire different list for that and there are tons of posts on this forum for packing for the Camino... but don't forget your international adapter for your phone charger!)... This list is just what to do before traveling abroad. It's stuff I wish I knew when I first started traveling internationally in my 20's. I LOVE traveling internationally and it's one of the best things I have done in my life. It's a wonderful adventure and nothing to EVER be afraid of. Just keep your head on straight, just like you would at home and ENJOY every moment!

Hope you enjoy and let me know what you found helpful!
  • Passport - Passport must not expire during the time-frame of your trip (they usually want 6 months on it) - you should be good here
    • I then take a couple photo's of this. I store one in my bag and store one on-line where I could get anytime from an internet cafe in case the passport was ever lost.
    • I also take a picture and keep in my phone.
  • Other Documents, Entrance/Exit Fees & Immunizations - I consult the State Department and make sure the countries I am visiting don't require other documents like Visas, extra immunizations, etc. http://www.state.gov. Also, some countries charge additional entrance/exit fees and you need the cash on-hand - nothing extra is needed for Sweden and Spain for the Camino, so you are fine here.
  • Register with State Department - I register myself on the State Department site my itinerary. It's so they know I am out there and they actually send emails if there are any issues in the region. It actually was helpful for me once (yeah, sometimes I travel to crazy areas of the world.) :)
  • Itinerary - Leave an itinerary (with some contact information) with your family so they know "generally" where you will be and how to contact you. If you lose your phone, have a backup plan and have at least one number memorized or a document stored on-line somewhere you can access from an internet cafe.
  • Credit Cards/Debit - I pick the credit cards/debit cards I am going to travel with. I usually have my debit and two credit cards (one is a backup for in Europe they frequently use mobile/wifi credit card readers and many times they cannot read my card. Europe is much more advanced in banking than the US and their cards usually have the chip. We are still in the dark ages with the magnetic swipe. That does cause issues sometimes, so usually one of my magnetic cards work.
    • I then call each bank (using number on back) and let them know my travel dates. They then will not place a hold on my cards.
    • I also make sure to have a 4-digit PIN associated with each card
    • I usually record each credit card and customer service number (both the local US and collect number to call internationally) on a password protected file and keep uploaded somewhere or with family, etc. So if I get anything stolen, I contact this sheet and immediately call all my banks and report the lost card(s). I have actually had to do this several times in my travel. Not a biggie but it SAVED me!
    • Credit Card with no international fees - Take at look at your credit card and make sure they don't charge additional fees for every transaction. They can charge up to 3%, which adds up. It might be worth getting a different one just for this.
    • Check your on-line statements periodically - You never know if someone cloned your card. It happened to me in Mexico one time, so I make it a practice now. Simple and takes me a couple minutes about once or twice a week.
  • Cash - I always order some of the local currency from my bank before I leave. Depending on the country, it may take them a few days to get for you. You pay the actual conversion rate. Converting at the airport and those other money conversion places charges you extra fees and not worth it. When I am in the country and need more money, just use the local ATM. But NEVER use a mobile or portable ATM. Always use one outside or inside a bank. There are many swipe scanners in the mobile ones... even in the US.
    • Bank Fees - You will be charged with bank fees each time you use the ATM, just like here when you take cash from a different bank, but it's a bit more due to international fees. Here is a tip:
      • ATM with no international fees - This is now going to be my practice, is to open a Charles Schwab High Yield Investor Checking Account. I like this also because I can deposit in the account only the money I need, and if my card is ever stolen, they won't have access to my entire bank account. My friend on the Camino used this and when she needed more money, her husband deposited for her from home. http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/banking_lending/checking_account
    • Money Belt - Great suggestion above. I was actually pick-pocketed once in Rome from an expert (while we were in a crowded bus). He got under my closed coat and into a clasped purse that was UNDER my coat and stole my camera. Usually that was where I stored my passport, cash and return plane ticket. That day, I put all those valuables in the money belt and so thankful I did. Please know, this wasn't shared to scare you; Europe is just as safe, if not safer than New York. Just keep your head straight and be aware, as anyone should when they are not in their home surroundings.
  • Cell Plan & Apps -
    • International Coverage - US plans generally don't work internationally unless you add an internal component to them. First, make sure your phone can get international coverage. Just contact your provider. I had an iPhone 4S which does provide international service along with Verizon. All I did, for extra $25 per month is allow for emergency data downloads up to 100MB. While in Europe, the first thing I do is TURN OFF the Data. I lived on wifi for 99% of my time in Europe, for most cafe's, hostels, alburges provide wifi. Only in emergencies when I needed to get googlemaps up and running, would I turn on my data.
    • Text - Remember, your TXTs are charged when international... your unlimited plan doesn't work for international text. So use What's App or other type of communication tools instead.
    • Map Apps - Also, there are tons of apps out there, but the one I love for city maps is CityMaps2Go. I purchased the Pro version which allows you to download all major european cities off-line. I used this just a few months ago while in Paris. It's so cool for it is like Google maps in finding local bars, restaurants, hotels, etc, but also tracks your GPS location, withOUT using your data plan. I was completely lost in Paris and I was able to navigate my way. I downloaded many of the Provinces and big cities along the Camino before I went and referenced these maps along the way.
    • CaminoPlaces - Ivar has created a new app for finding other pilgrims, alburgues, etc on the Camino. This came out after I walked my Camino, but I know I would have loved this app and was actually thinking of developing one myself. Sometimes you want to know if a café is open in the town ahead, if a pilgrim is near by, etc.
  • Information about the Country - I always do a bit of research on the country I am visiting before I go, their weather, customs, holidays, festivals and other great stuff. Here is a few sites I look at:
    • CIA.gov - seriously, they have some cool information here
    • LonelyPlanet.com - love their site and books
    • Just google....
  • Travel Sites - Periodically along the Camino, or during my international trips I would want a private room, hotel, B&B etc. Here are sites I use:
  • Country's version of "911" - Find out how to dial the emergency number for the local country. Guaranteed it's not "911.". Thank goodness I have not had to use this yet, but if you are reading this forum, sadly pilgrims needed to use the number just last week.
  • Home Responsibilities -
    • Bills - Make sure you have your home bills covered. I have everything on-line now, so I just paid all my bills via my phone while on the Camino.
    • Mail - Our US Postal service has a great phone app where you can place a hold on your mail for a month. I did it and then let it sit at the postal office. Then set a reminder for myself when the month was up (for I was gone 5 weeks), went into the app and set another hold. When I got home, they had a hug bin of mail waiting for me at the post office that I picked up.
    • Plants, pets... - You know the drill. I have a home, so I set light timers in my house for safety and let my neighbors know when I was leaving so they could keep watch.
  • Travel etiquette and other tips - I thought this blog had some good tips for those traveling abroad for the first time. http://chrisguillebeau.com/28-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-i-started-traveling/
If you want to read about my Camino, join me at http://caminoconcierge.com

Happy Travels and Buen Camino!
Michelle

Great list, Michelle! Even though I've done quite a lot of traveling outside of Canada, I'm going to save your list--there are some tips on it that I never thought about. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
wear a cheap wedding band on your right index finger
Yes, he is looking for advice, which was offered. The OP has also been offered other advice here, all of which he is completely free to take and use, or chose not to use.

This might be true, but I must admit to being of like mind to @LauraK when I saw your original advice on wearing a ring, especially on the index finger.

I now cannot decide whether to remove all my rings completely because of the the mixed messages it would seem to give having rings on the ring and middle fingers of my left hand, and the ring finger of my right hand. That said, I don't have any on either index finger, so perhaps I can leave them where they are without too much stress.

When I walked/hiked alone in Europe in my 20s, I got a lot of unwanted and undesired attention from men. Someone told me about wearing a wedding ring and a lot of that harrassment stopped.

Thank you Icacos.
Please add some emoticons or 'LOLs' or something next time to indicate that you are trying to be funny, LauraK. :)
Lesson learned!

This might be true, but I must admit to being of like mind to @LauraK when I saw your original advice on wearing a ring, especially on the index finger.

I now cannot decide whether to remove all my rings completely because of the the mixed messages it would seem to give having rings on the ring and middle fingers of my left hand, and the ring finger of my right hand. That said, I don't have any on either index finger, so perhaps I can leave them where they are without too much stress.
Doug, I am trying to imagine you as reticent and dependent upon "ring language" to convey your attitude toward unwanted attention. Nope, can't do it. I think you're safe.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, maybe it only happens to women then.
I don't know that men wouldn't be subjected to unwanted approaches, but it is something I see women worry about more than men. Perhaps women have a keener sense of the risks of travelling alone, or are more prepared to discuss these publicly.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Doug, I am trying to imagine you as reticent and dependent upon "ring language" to convey your attitude toward unwanted attention. Nope, can't do it. I think you're safe.

Ha ha!! I was just going to give Doug some sage advice about not being overly friendly, and then I thought....."naaaaaah!!!"

(edited to add an lol: Doug is one of the most forthright people I've met on this forum, and that ain't bad! Doug, you are very helpful).

Last edited:
Two weeks -- not much time.

You may want to consider couchsurfing. Starting with Stockholm and asking your host suggestions as to where (and how) to go from there. (You may want to travel to Eastern Europe and take cheap flight to Paris, then book a train to SJPP. If you do that, be careful if you fly RyanAir as they land at Paris-Beauvais, where the cost of transfer to Paris proper is usually more that the fare...). When in France, ask about ride sharing. It has become enormously popular and coud be an option.

As others have suggested, bring at least two credit/debit cards from different institutions if at all possible and warn the bank(s) that you'll be overseas.

And as the era of Internet Cafés is all but over, a decent smartphone (maybe a phablet such as the Note), unlocked, would be a definite plus. Check beforehand what are the roaming terms offered by your provider. Know how to call home (you are familiar with country codes? +1 for the USA, +33 for France, +34 for Spain / in Europe numbers are routinely prefixed with a 0 that you do not dial if you start with the country code).

If you couchsurf and walk the CF, you may want to ditch the tent.

No need to worry, really. Europe is an amazing "country" :)

From my experience the Germans also wear their wedding ring on their right hand...at least in Bavaria.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Notify your bank and credit card companies of your travel plans. They will need to know what countries and the dates of travel. This is very important. Failure to do so will result in your cards being canceled when you try to use them. If you are married and your significant other is going too, their credit cards also need to be registered with their card holders.

You do not need to purchase euros before you go, expensive. Use European bank teller machines to get best rate and not ripped off. Hit the bank teller machines at your arrival airport to get euros. Denmark uses Kroners so wait until you get to your first EU country. You need cash on the Camino. Albergues don't take credit cards or large bills. Same applies to small towns/villages. Use 20s or smaller and carry about 10 euros in coins. Carry a few 50s as emergency money. Make copies of passport, drivers license, credit cards, and other important papers or take pictures and keep in your cell phone or tablet.

Try to learn the layout of airports you will be using. I also recommend familiarizing yourself with public transportation and transportation options. Look for information booths and get local maps. If you have room reservations, email them for directions and transportation suggestions. On my trip to Portugal I went from the plane to the subway to the hostel with the directions provided by my hostel and I don't speak Portuguese.

Cell phones--do you have one, does your service provider offer a plan for Europe, probably not. Look into phone coverage on line. $30,000 cell phone bills are not urban legend. Its a good bet you have downloaded several useful programs for your trip. Do they work without Wi-Fi or cell coverage. I'm terrible with languages even with a phrasebook but I do try. Don't be afraid to ask someone if they speak English. A surprising number of Europeans do.

Buen Camino

Happy Trails

P.S. A locking carabineer is useful to attach your pack to a chair or an other pack. Deters thieves.

Stockholm like all of Denmark very expensive. They do not use or except euros. They use D Kroners. You can pay for everything with a credit card there even a cab. For a taste of home get a slushy at the 7/11 in the airport, its on the first floor. Public transportation is very good in Europe and a bargain. If its a long train ride, try to book a night train, that way you sleep on the way and can hit the ground running when you get there. I would also recommend that when possible book you rooms in advance.

Don't worry about feeling like a schmuck. In Strasberg, we got on the wrong bus and got very lost. A local citizen took pity on us, got us on the bus to the tram station and made sure we got on the right tram, she took 1 hour of her time. I love the French. In Rome we and about 50 other locals got on the wrong train. It was the express and did not stop at our station so "When in Rome do like the Romans do", we followed a local tour guide who also got on the wrong train and made our way back to our station and campground. Traveling Europe is a adventure. I wish I was 28 when I started traveling Europe not 60. Have fun, go with the flow, and remember you are a visitor in a foreign country. Different customs, different laws, and different ways of viewing things.

I’ve noticed that OP (his first) was on 23rd May and he’s not responded since - did we all scare him off with the abundance of advice ?? :):p;):) (meant humourously)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back