• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What are pacer poles?

A

Anemone del Camino

I've searched the site, but never found a clear explanation of what pacer poles are. I have read they are super heavy, can break, but what about the benefits vs regular 150g collapsible poles? Is it only about the handle's angle? Do you get more push from them? Do you struggle less with them? I carry regular 150gr poles. They prevent my hands from swelling, help me hop over puddles, help me break walking downhill, and .... keep my monkey hands busy on the flat? I have been told I don't use them well, that I should push against them, but I'm a girl (even if not 18!) and don't do much with my arms. So what would pacer poles do for me, other than weigh a lot more? Thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What Lise T said above...
I just love mine.
I sold my pair, because I didn't want the responsibility on the Camino, then turned around and bought another pair for home.

What Lise T said above...
I just love mine.
I sold my pair, because I didn't want the responsibility on the Camino, then turned around and bought another pair for home.
Didn't want the responsability?

Other question, are they a specific brand?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Didn't want the responsability?

Other question, are they a specific brand?

Yes, I was asked more than once to leave them in an unattended barrel overnight.
On my last Camino I knew of 3 pair of expensive poles being stolen.
That's 3 too many.
I can't afford to lose that much money.
I'm on a fixed income and it is limited.
So I decided not to take them on the Camino anymore.
I just buy a cheap pair in SJPP, or just buy a walking stick for under 10 euros.
They work just as well for the Camino and I don't have to worry about it.

http://www.pacerpole.com/

Yes, I was asked more than once to leave them in an unattended barrel overnight.
On my last Camino I knew of 3 pair of expensive poles being stolen.
That's 3 too many.
I can't afford to lose that much money.
I'm on a fixed income and it is limited.
So I decided not to take them on the Camino anymore.
I just buy a cheap pair in SJPP, or just buy a walking stick for under 10 euros.
They work just as well for the Camino and I don't have to worry about it.

http://www.pacerpole.com/

So clearly they are not that much of an advantage, if you can walk a 10 Euro stick?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So clearly they are not that much of an advantage, if you can walk a 10 Euro stick?
Walking with a stick is different from walking with trekking poles. Walking with Pacer Poles is different than walking with trekking poles. Pacer Poles are not more expensive than trekking poles (which have a wide range of prices and quality), and they weigh about the same. Since the weight of the pole is borne by the ground most of the time, a few ounces makes very little difference. With trekking poles, weight is born by the wrist strap, when used properly. With Pacer Poles, the weight is borne by the hand grips. The grips naturally pull the poles forward as the walker's hand moves forward, so momentum takes care of the weight. Watching the video on the Pacer Pole website provides a lot more information, so view it if you considering them.

I changed to pacer poles 2 years ago and haven't looked back, I absolutely love them.

I have a bad knee so I rely on them ALOT when walking downhill. I find they keep me more upright (I usually start to slouch with a backpack on) and they also give me a boost uphill. I love the handles and never get sore wrists anymore. I must admit I did snap one (carbon fiber) on my Shikoku 88 Temple Pilgrimage trip, but they had already been in use for more than 2000km and that walk was particularly demanding with it's many steep and slippery descents. The Pacer Pole company replaced this pole for me and I've subsequently walked a further 2000km with them and they're doing great.

I couldn't walk without them!

Buen Camino!

Kat
(My profile pic has a hiking pole in it that's not a pacer pole, it was taken b4 I converted to pacer poles!)

I have bought Pacer Poles for my next Camino and now have to work out how to keep them safe. Can I smuggle them into an Albergue?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
One of the many things I bless this forum for is the introduction to Pacer Poles. I purchased a pair after I found out I have an inherited condition that makes it easy to hyperextend my knees. They work so much better for me than regular trekking poles.

The "Backpackinglight.com" fora are fantastic for picking up used light and ultralight equipment. My tent, quilt, and Pacer Poles were all acquired from other members there.

I've searched the site, but never found a clear explanation of what pacer poles are. I have read they are super heavy, can break, but what about the benefits vs regular 150g collapsible poles? Is it only about the handle's angle? Do you get more push from them? Do you struggle less with them? I carry regular 150gr poles. They prevent my hands from swelling, help me hop over puddles, help me break walking downhill, and .... keep my monkey hands busy on the flat? I have been told I don't use them well, that I should push against them, but I'm a girl (even if not 18!) and don't do much with my arms. So what would pacer poles do for me, other than weigh a lot more? Thank you.
Pacer Poles are a specific brand can only be purchased directly from the manufacturer's in Windermere, England from this website http://www.pacerpole.com. Mine arrived in Canada within a week of ordering. I even had a follow up e-mail asking if they had arrived safely and another with some tips on form.

I have only used mine on day hikes so far. I had never used poles before, but I found it easy to learn to use them by watching the videos. I agree with everything that's been said about them: they ease up pressure on the knees, give more power going up hills, and make a huge difference in confidence and balance in going downhill. I'm definitely taking mine (with their rubber tips!) on the Camino. Appreciate the advice about collapsing them and keeping them in my pack at hostels.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was very precious about my pacer poles on my first camino and was aghast when I was instructed to leave them outside one albergue, in an open garden. I did as I was told but then sneaked back outside, collapsed them and shoved them in the sleeve of my raincoat and smuggled them indoors. They were the single most expensive item I had purchased.

My only disappointment with my pacer poles came about when walking my small terrier and he was attacked by a large, very strong and very ignorant dog whose owner had absolutely no control over it. When it had my dog in its jaws I used my pole to beat the dog over its back to absolutely no effect whatsoever. The only result was that the pole flew into pieces across the mountainside. When I had finally rescued my mutt and told the owner of the evil dog what I thought of them both I set to searching for the components of my right hand pole and eventually found all parts which were luckily undamaged

So I have to say, for trekking pacer poles get my vote every time, but for beating an evil dog a good thick staff would have done the job a lot better!

I'm planning to use walking poles for my first Camino this summer and this thread has made me interested in Pacer Poles. For most Camino gear decisions it seems there are different points of view. Is that the case for poles? Has anyone used both Pacer Poles and other kinds and concluded you like a different kind better (in terms of functionality, as opposed to cost)? If so, what kind would you recommend and what do you like about them better than PPs? Thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had a pair of Leki's and was trying very hard to learn how to use them properly by watching video after video. Then I heard about pacerpoles and that with them there is practically no learning curve at all. That sold me; I ordered a pair and haven't used the Leki's since. They are handy to loan to visitors who come and hike with me tho as I'm not sharing my pacerpoles.

Just as no two pilgrims are the same size, shape, age, or level of fitness, there will be differences in style and preference in poles as well.

I own Pacer Poles, and have used them to wonderful effect on each of the four walks so far, and all the training hikes leading up to them as well. They afford more power going uphill, and better control going downhill. On the flat, they maintain rhythm and speed. I'm still on the original pair, the carbon fiber model. Twice I've had other pilgrims try to buy them off me ("name any price") and I refused.

I used several brands of trekking poles for a couple of decades before buying Pacer Poles.

Cheap poles are a waste of money. Buy any major brand - Leki, Komperdell, REI house brand, Black Diamond, etc.

Angled hand grips are more comfortable than straight poles, but only by a little bit.

Anti-shock is mildly useful. It does reduce the shock of planting a pole, but very little. The slight click can be a bit annoying.

Cork handles are a bit softer, but discolor with sweat.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/trekking-poles-hiking-staffs.html

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Another vote for Pacers. And a big tick for the wonderful service the family provides.

Falcon is, as ever the fountain of knopwledge.
Yes. Collapse them, and put them in your pack.
And don't forget to have a bag to put the tips in if it is muddy!
Cork handles are a bit softer, but discolor with sweat.
And better in hot weather! As regards discolouration - I am a man so what do I know or care about colour? :D
Because of cabin baggage restrictions I buy two poles on arrival for about 12e each. I research at each start point where to buy before going.

And don't forget to have a bag to put the tips in if it is muddy!

Not sure I'm following this. Do you mean to have a bag to use for muddy tips when you're not using them (and haven't had a chance to clean the tips)? If it's muddy and you're using them, do you just them the regular way or is there something different you do when using them when it's muddy?

Got a pair of Pacerpoles and will be putting them to good use for the next four weeks to get into shape before our March camino. The fact that no one is selling them on Ebay speaks volumes :D I am hoping they will help with posture and upper body strain from typing for a living. Has anyone ever had reason to return them? Or noticed any ill effects at all? Anything I should be aware of that isn't in the literature or their website?

Got a pair of Pacerpoles and will be putting them to good use for the next four weeks to get into shape before our March camino. The fact that no one is selling them on Ebay speaks volumes :D I am hoping they will help with posture and upper body strain from typing for a living. Has anyone ever had reason to return them? Or noticed any ill effects at all? Anything I should be aware of that isn't in the literature or their website?
oh joy! oh bliss! they are the greatest thing since sliced bread! ive used them for years and many a time and oft they have been the only thing keeping my chin off the floor!
goodluck and god speed!

the malingerer

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ditto to all those singing their praise ... I quite simply cannot walk long distance without them. I would NEVER recommend staight handled poles to anyone myself. I am completely sold by the angled grip. They give me more stability and balance with effortless use. I can literally feel the power surge through the poles on each stride as I push off and going downhill is SO much easier when I have my poles. My kids joke that I should sell them I am such a big fan. I bought my daughter a pair for Christmas as she has developed knee problems from too much longboarding as a teenager ... she was hesitant at first (too dorky) ... until she tried them ... then she came home gushing that SHE was gonna take over from me as the president of the local Pacer Pole fan club! They are literally like extensions of my arm and flipping back and forth from a forward striding position to a downhill striding position is intuitive and natural. I walk farther and faster with them and in fact without them I am more or less crippled after a few hundred meters ... with cramped back muscles and achy hips/knees ... with them however I still have not found my limit and suffer none of the complaints I listed above. I think I am a crooked walker naturally and it doesn't take long for all those micro corrections to take their toll ... the poles make me walk straighter, head up and with much better posture. Will never use any other pole and won't share mine either ;) I do however use a different rubber tip than the one supplied. They are much larger (better to prevent getting tips caught in cracks in boardwalks etc). They are made by a company with a similar name "Pace Maker" (not Pacer) and are much larger and more robust than the Pacer Pole ones .... shipping is ridiculous if you have to get them mail ordered ... I did anyway, and don't regret it, but if you live in the states you should be able to find them in stores ... here is a pic http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006HMDN6S/?tag=casaivar02-20

Last edited:
wont share or lend? shame! i lent mine to someone in need on a trial basis n they had bought their own within a week!:)
gave a pair to another friend to get them off their bums/butts n they havent stopped! they r everything they claim to be n at 76 with a multiplicity of complaints i need all the help i can get! keep on truckin :)
the malingerer.

Well I'll share but only if I am staying home myself and don't need them ;) .... But I have convinced about a handful of folks in my neck of the woods to take the plunge and give them a try and now there are several more members of the unofficial fan club singing their praises ... and no one has regretted their purchace yet :) I should get a finders fee! Hehe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
To all you happy pacerpole users on the Camino, are yours alloy or carbon? I like the idea of the lighter carbon ones, but understand they're not as sturdy (and thus I assume are more subject to breaking). My height and weight are such that I think either would work for me. Here's from an email from Heather, the pacerpole founder and owner, on the choice: "If going on a backpacking exped over rough terrain then would suggest the Alloys - but otherwise the Carbons should be fine." I understand most of the camino isn't rough terrain, but I gather that some parts of it are. So, do you recommend the alloys or the carbons? Thanks.

To all you happy pacerpole users on the Camino, are yours alloy or carbon? I like the idea of the lighter carbon ones, but understand they're not as sturdy (and thus I assume are more subject to breaking). My height and weight are such that I think either would work for me. Here's from an email from Heather, the pacerpole founder and owner, on the choice: "If going on a backpacking exped over rough terrain then would suggest the Alloys - but otherwise the Carbons should be fine." I understand most of the camino isn't rough terrain, but I gather that some parts of it are. So, do you recommend the alloys or the carbons? Thanks.
Carbons are fine, I've found.

Alloy are not much heavier. If you over stress an alloy pole, you probably have a slightly bent pole. If you over stress a carbon pole, you have pieces! You cannot switch the remaining pole between hands as you can conventional trekking poles.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just FYI, I have arthritis in my hands and fingers and find even gripping the steering wheel of a car painful after a while so when I saw the Pacerpole grip I knew they were the poles for me. I used them without any hand/finger pain for the 5 weeks it took me to walk the Frances and on many hikes since then. I will use them again on my upcoming Primitivo. I really find them helpful on uphills and downhills, as others have said. The only negative is that I get a callus (no blister) around my wedding ring (yes, I'm one of those weirdos who wears my wedding ring on the Camino). But that would probably happen with any pole I used!

I walked the whole french camino without poles and I didn't have any problems with that.☀️😀☀️

I walked the whole french camino without poles and I didn't have any problems with that.☀😀

Well done.

Everyone’s different.

I understand walking without poles, I understand walking with poles, whilst I’ve not yet succumbed I understand how pacer poles can be very effective.

What I cannot understand is how one stick or pole works for the typical two-legged, two-armed peregrino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.