• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What are September numbers like?

GerFol

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018. Camino Frances
2014. Camino Portaguese
2016. Camino Primitivo
I was due to begin my Camino from SJPP at the beginning of September but because of illness I have to postpone for a few weeks. Just interested to know from pilgrims that are currently on the way how busy it is at the moment and if there is any difficulty getting a bed in an Albergue....if so, what locations are busiest?

Regards,

Gerard.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
2,700 arrived in Santiago in the first two days. It is impossible to guess the places that will be full! Roncesvalles has a bed shortage, so it can always be a problem. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You are past 'peak pilgrim' on the Frances. September is still a heavy arrival month at the Pilgrim Office, thought at lower volumes than in July and August.

Most of the pilgrims arriving throughout September started from St. Jean Pied de Port, or other 'long-walk' points-of-origin, in late August. In this context, the proverbial "pig in the python" is in front of you. This works to your advantage.

It will not be a cake-walk, but do pay attention to what day you arrive at a major starting node. I have discussed this elsewhere in the forum.

If you arrive at Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Astorga, Ponferrada, or Sarria on a Friday or Saturday, you should expect competition for bed space from 'short-walk' pilgrims planning to start from those places the following day.

You may need to adjust your walking pattern to avoid these points of congestion on certain days.

I hope this helps.

About 30% of the September arrivals started in Sarria or just before it, so expect the usual crowds in the final stretch (over 40% walked the last 100km of some camino, so other short routes contribute to crowding in Santiago).

Where can you see/ find the arrival stats?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I started SJPP on the 2nd and I am in Burgos now. CF is very busy. Everyone here says may and September are the peak times from SJPP.
Many people are booking several days ahead but it is only the walkers arriving after 3 or 4 who are having any issues. SJPP, Roncesvalles, Los Arcos all got full but everyone gets a bed even if they have to taxi.
Bed crunch seems to have abated now. There have been empty beds in every albergue I have stayed in for the past few nights, I expect that may change.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
September 2017 number of compostelas at mid-month is very close to September 2016, a record year, and well ahead of 2010, the last Holy Year. There does not seem to be any sign of a September slowdown!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back