• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What are some Common Camino Misconceptions?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Note: when you post a misconception please start with "it's a misconception that..." to lessen any confusion

Here's a thread to (hopefully) dispel some common Camino misconceptions.

Off the top of my head some of the more common misconceptions are:

You need to follow guidebook stages. Nope. Guidebooks have stages possibly because those are the stages that the guidebook author prefers, it's an easy way to organize the information, etc. You can stop for the night wherever you want. Check a guidebook, website like Gronze.com, or app to make sure that your stopping place offers the services that you need.

You need special equipment to walk across the Pyrenees. No, while the initial ascent from SJPdP is very steep, much of it is on a paved road. This is not mountaineering.

Private albergues are always nicer than public, municipal or parochial albergues. Many public albergues are updated with newer beds, bathrooms, etc., while there are private albergues in a state of disrepair. Check out public albergues like Roncesvalles which was remodeled in recent years and features bunks in cubicles of four beds with a locker for each bed, modern bathrooms, and a large laundry room. Or Azofra municipal with rooms of two single beds in each (no bunks!) and a lovely patio with fountain. The large municipal albergue in Burgos is also recently updated. And the purpose built municipal albergue in Dumbría is stunning.
Compare to some private albergues pictured here:

atapuerca-hutte-2.jpgatapuerca-hutte-3.jpgburgoranero-alberguelaguna2.jpg

You must start the Camino Francés in St Jean Pied de Port, the Norte in Irun, the VdlP in Seville, etc. The Camino starts wherever you want it to start. The only "rule" is if you want to receive a Compostela you must walk or ride horseback for at least the final 100 km or cycle at least 200 km into Santiago, and make the pilgrimage for religious or spiritual reasons, or at least an attitude of search. If you aren't walking for those reasons you can still receive a lovely certificate of welcome when you arrive in Santiago, and for 3 euros a distance certificate.

You don't need two stamps a day to receive a Compostela if you start in SJPdP, León, Irun, etc. Not true. The pilgrim's office is clear: You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The only "rule" is if you want to receive a Compostela you must walk or ride horseback for at least 100 km or cycle at least 200 km and make the pilgrimage for religious or spiritual reasons, or at least an attitude of search.
Not just any 100/200 km. It must be 100/200 km finishing at the cathedral.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wait, so it doesn't provide – counter to the untold number of times on here we've been assured that it does?
Say more!
You, your attitude, your intention provide. The Camino merely provides the space and energy to help you to adjust yourself to enable you to provide for yourself.

Forget magical thinking and do the work yourself - with the help of the Camino. Nobody can ride the bicycle for you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You, your attitude, your intention provide. The Camino merely provides the space and energy to help you to adjust yourself to enable you to provide for yourself.

Forget magical thinking and do the work yourself - with the help of the Camino. Nobody can ride the bicycle for you.

Yes, that’s pretty much how I understood it. While I have always tried to balance my innate tendency towards cynicism with an open mind and heart, I put the phrase “The Camino provides” in the same category as ones like “It is what it is”: pleasant enough, but tilting towards the anodyne and too often used as a means of skirting personal responsibility.

That said: I am also a big fan of serendipity, magical coincidence, and “you get what you give”.
So maybe there’s something to it after all. I suppose I’ll find out for myself soon enough!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It’s a misconception that: That Spanish food contains no vegetables. Yes it does, if you look at the menus and don't just eat the most-calories-for-your-euros pilgrim meals. Buy some fruit in a shop, ask to see the a la carte menu, try the menu del dia.

That Spanish food contains no vegetables. Yes it does, if you look at the menus and don't just eat the most-calories-for-your-euros pilgrim meals. Buy some fruit in a shop, ask to see the a la carte menu, try the menu del dia.
That is a great observation, @nidarosa! I frequently see comments here about how Spanish meals contain few vegetables. The Spaniards I know eat many times more vegetables and fruits than my average compatriots, hands down. And when they go out to eat in a restaurant, their eating habits don’t change. It’s those awful pilgrim menus that create that misimpression, and most Spaniards avoid those menus like the plague!

It is true that in some of the “hinterlands” stops, fresh food of any kind is harder to come by, so there may be very limited choices. But on many occasions I have been delighted to see a little van drive into town and stop in the main square. In two minutes the square was filled with señoras gazing into a colorful array of freshness at the back of the van.

It’s a misconception that: The Camino Francés (meaning the whole thing) is very busy in summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Although I preferred the Menu del Dias, I often ate the pilgrim meals for their low cost and they were often available at the end of the day when the other was not. Any hot meal served to me that I didn't have to cook, including the glass of wine was very much appreciated...no complaints except for the one time when rabbit stew was served.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Although I preferred the Menu del Dias, I often ate the pilgrim meals for their low cost and they were often available at the end of the day when the other was not. Any hot meal served to me that I didn't have to cook, including the glass of wine was very much appreciated...no complaints except for the one time when rabbit stew was served.
Best rabbit – or hare?–stews I've had was in Spain!

If I was a moderator, that post would be deleted pronto!
I think you misunderstood the intent of the one who posted that...they were mentioning that as yet another 'myth to be dispelled'...in other words you can be an authentic pilgrim if you stay in hotels, inns or hostels.

The food in Spain is wonderful but you get what you pay for, and this is precisely the problem. The average pilgrim goes for the cheap; for 10 ~ 12 € one cannot expect any quality food, not in Spain, not anywhere else.
I am not one for eating out, so purchase from grocery stores along the camino I am on, which allows me to go 'for the cheap,' as you put. However I eat very well doing this, and am still able to save my pennies to treat myself to chocolate, theobroma!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Each one has his/her reasons, don't monopolyze yours.

This is absolutely true! But I think the Camino is a religious pilgrimage in the same way that Christmas is a religious holiday: both started out as explicitly religious (and specifically Christian) traditions, but are now celebrated (or walked) in many different ways and for many different reasons.

Saying that the Camino is a religious pilgrimage in no way invalidates the experience for anyone who sees it differently, just as walking it for non-religious or even recreational purposes does not redefine it for those who first and foremost see it as a devotional practice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is absolutely true! But I think the Camino is a religious pilgrimage in the same way that Christmas is a religious holiday: both started out as explicitly religious (and specifically Christian) traditions, but are now celebrated (or walked) in many different ways and for many different reasons.

Saying that the Camino is a religious pilgrimage in no way invalidates the experience for anyone who sees it differently, just as walking it for non-religious or even recreational purposes does not redefine it for those who first and foremost see it as a devotional practice.
I think that the misconception is that the Camino is only or must be a religious pilgrimage.

With that, I'd like to remind members of forum rule #2
No discussions on religion, bull fights, sports and politics.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"It's Your Camino" meaning that it okay to wake everyone up at 5 am by flipping on the lights and rustling plastic bags because--after all--it's YOUR Camino.
I’ve kind of come to dislike that saying simply because it infers that pilgrims can do whatever they want without regard to others around them. To me it sort of promotes an ‘all about me’ mentality which I find to be the antithesis of the Camino

It's a walk in the park!
Yes, like the guy last month who said he was planning his first day "stroll" to Espinal for SJPdP. Several of us warned him that is 39k, he has since dropped out and gone home after getting to Leon with a calf muscle issue.
So let's add the tried and true advice to pay attention to your body, that is not a misconception.

Gulp!
Does that mean no Easter Bunny this year 😢

I’ve kind of come to dislike that saying simply because it infers that pilgrims can do whatever they want without regard to others around them. To me it sort of promotes an ‘all about me’ mentality which I find to be the antithesis of the Camino
Fully agree. But: Regards for others does not mean blindly accepting and submitting to what others try to enforce on you. I interpret the "its my Camino" as an important boundary against all attempts of forcing consent. Fine lines.

It's a misconception that you do the Camino by yourself. Religious overtones aside, the Camino is a community whether or not you are actually walking with others -- your hosts, the people that pray for you, fellow pilgrims with whom you will walk with/past/behind/in front of; we all look out for one another.

Making it your Camino means walking it your way, not Brierly's way or my way or anyone elses way, your experience. The people who rustle bags or switch on headlights or otherwise misbehave at ungodly hours or otherwise probably never heard the expression.
Its true meaning has been misconstrued here by some.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Myth: knowing how to properly conjugate verbs is necessary to convey meaning to Spanish locals when attempting to speak Spanish…

Nobody ever actually says it is necessary but still I try, poorly. The Spanish friends, especially those who are about to receive funds from services rendered or goods acquired are quite accommodating for a half assed attempt at Spanish. If you really mess up, and the intended recipient is younger, they’ll just switch to English.

A religious pilgrimage

zzotte
I think a better way to state the misconception is that "You have to be religious to participate in the Camino". Because originally - it was indeed intended to be a religious pilgrimage. Fortunately - it has evolved to be that - AND so much more! Therefore - anyone - not just Catholics - can partake in the Camino experience.

Note: when you post a misconception please start with "it's a misconception that..." to lessen any confusion

You need to follow guidebook stages. Nope. Guidebooks have stages possibly because those are the stages that the guidebook author prefers, it's an easy way to organize the information, etc. You can stop for the night wherever you want. Check a guidebook, website like Gronze.com, or app to make sure that your stopping place offers the services that you need.

You need special equipment to walk across the Pyrenees. No, while the initial ascent from SJPdP is very steep, much of it is on a paved road. This is not mountaineering.

Private albergues are always nicer than public, municipal or parochial albergues. Many public albergues are updated with newer beds, bathrooms, etc., while there are private albergues in a state of disrepair. Check out public albergues like Roncesvalles which was remodeled in recent years and features bunks in cubicles of four beds with a locker for each bed, modern bathrooms, and a large laundry room. Or Azofra municipal with rooms of two single beds in each (no bunks!) and a lovely patio with fountain. The large municipal albergue in Burgos is also recently updated. And the purpose built municipal albergue in Dumbría is stunning.
Compare to some private albergues

View attachment 122725View attachment 122726View attachment 122727

You must start the Camino Francés in St Jean Pied de Port, the Norte in Irun, the VdlP in Seville, etc. The Camino starts wherever you want it to start. The only "rule" is if you want to receive a Compostela you must walk or ride horseback for at least the final 100 km or cycle at least 200 km into Santiago, and make the pilgrimage for religious or spiritual reasons, or at least an attitude of search. If you aren't walking for those reasons you can still receive a lovely certificate of welcome when you arrive in Santiago, and for 3 euros a distance certificate.

You don't need two stamps a day to receive a Compostela if you start in SJPdP, León, Irun, etc. Not true. The pilgrim's office is clear: You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).
I've walked the Camino from SJPDP in 2015 and Camino Portuguese in 2017 from Lisbon and only had 1 stamp for all stages and didn't have any problems getting my Credential. No questions asked. Maybe they've changed the rules.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It is a misconception that...abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz...

Not a misconception:
Some people are experts in the origins of 'the' Camino.
Nowadays, anyone may attempt any camino for whatever reason.

Fact: I was proud as punch of myself for successfully walking from Pamplona to Santiago de `Compostela, and of subsequent caminos to Santiago. They all remind me of an important element in my aspiration as a person. I changed my category in my profile to reflect what that element is.
Fact: I do not always live up to my ideal, especially when the way is long, the sun is beating down, the rain is pouring down...😁
Fact: I am thankful, and know from what I glean in many posts, that many more are too, for the experience.
Buen Camino!

I actually think that this is a common misconception. "It is your Camino" or "It is my Camino" can be used with negative or positive connotations.

Given the example mentioned earlier in the thread of a recent poster who overdid it on the first day out of SJPP - pain and wanting to rest but needed to press on to Espinal because that's where the backpack had been sent, optimistically - and finally dropping out in Leon because no longer possible to continue due to ongoing and worse pain, and similar examples where people do not even post about their finishing prematurely because they overdid it, this advice should be taken with caution:

If I can do it, you can do it.​

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is fun. A number of misconceptions, some of them quite recent but noticeable on the forum:
  • That you must register at the start of your Camino.
  • That you must get a stamp at the start of your Camino from some kind of official place.
  • That you must carry a shell on your backpack.
Of course, people love carrying their shell on the outside of their backpack. But it is not mandatory.

And people love their credential and the many stamps in them. But if you never stay in municipal or donativo albergues, only in private albergues and similar, and don't want to get a Compostela which people also love to do, you don't even need a credential for your Camino and/or for your pilgrimage to Santiago. True fact. ☺️

Thank you, I should have included that. I will correct my post.
Most ridiculous rule ever. And not followed. I just finished the Via/Sanabres and didn’t have one stamp per day. I had no problem at the Pilgrims Office. Unless of course the Camino is about adults collecting stamps. Who in their right mind would claim a compostela after not having walked?

€83,-
Most ridiculous rule ever. And not followed. I just finished the Via/Sanabres and didn’t have one stamp per day. I had no problem at the Pilgrims Office. Unless of course the Camino is about adults collecting stamps.
We found another misconception:

The rules for getting a Compostela are immutable.
Imagine, for hundreds of years, until the 1980s, there were no credentials for collecting stamps and no minimum number of stamps for getting a Compostela!

And a follow-up question: Misconception or not a misconception?

The rules for getting a Compostela make sense.
The rules for getting a Compostela, whether they make sense or not, ought to be followed.
🙃

I brought a sleeping bag instead of just a liner. I thought after reading so many comments that I would be in the minority. Every bunk had a sleeping bag laid out. Don't recall ever seeing a liner.

Most ridiculous rule ever. And not followed. I just finished the Via/Sanabres and didn’t have one stamp per day. I had no problem at the Pilgrims Office. Unless of course the Camino is about adults collecting stamps. Who in their right mind would claim a compostela after not having walked?
It happens believe me (claiming a Compostela).

Ridiculous or not, it is the rule. It is open to a bit of judgement and Lee-way but strictly speaking if missing the stamps then you could be refused.

And before anyone @ me, i don't make the rules, i just try to follow them when working in the PO. (and I would note a certain extra leeway being applied this year which was not done in my previous experience - whether that is post covid, early in the season or because its a holy year I couldn't say)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

It's a common misconception to overvalue the Compostela (and the gathering of stamps to fill it). This is a thing. It's a piece of paper. The Camino is about how your heart changes. Walking the Camino, I've seen many too many peregrinos giving insufficient attention to interacting with the people they were meeting and places they were seeing because of their focus on getting stamps for their piece of paper. Sure, souvenirs and remembrances (especially ones with religious significance) can be important as our Camino days fade into the past. But not nearly as important as what we can gain from being consciously open to the streets, the churches, the fields——and the minds and hearts of the other souls walking them with us.

Hi @mosey marty - I like that name! Sorry, but I will challenge your comment...
I've seen many too many peregrinos giving insufficient attention to interacting with the people they were meeting and places they were seeing because of their focus on getting stamps for their piece of paper.
Have you really seen people for whom stamp-getting is a time-consuming activity that occupies the minds and hearts of pilgrims to the point of being anti-social?

Hi @mosey marty - I like that name! Sorry, but I will challenge your comment...

Have you really seen people for whom stamp-getting is a time-consuming activity that occupies the minds and hearts of pilgrims to the point of being anti-social?

- Hi! Could you help me with...
- Can't talk right now - gotta stamp!! 😂

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've seen many too many peregrinos giving insufficient attention to interacting with the people they were meeting and places they were seeing because of their focus on getting stamps for their piece of paper. Sure, souvenirs and remembrances (especially ones with religious significance) can be important as our Camino days fade into the past. But not nearly as important as what we can gain from being consciously open to the streets, the churches, the fields——and the minds and hearts of the other souls walking them with us.
I find this statement interesting. "insufficient attention to interacting with the people they were meeting". Um - you probably would have included me in this group last summer. I spent a LOT of time alone. I did interact with others. But I mostly walked alone. I NEEDED to walk alone. I had a horrible year and I was mentally and physically drained. I needed to do my Camino - mostly alone - to heal and recover. I also did go out of my way to ensure I got my stamps. I mean - it happened naturally as I checked into Albergues before Sarria - but after Sarria I had to make a conscientious effort. Getting the compostela was important to me. Yes - it was just a piece of paper. But it is also proof that I accomplished something that no one else I know has accomplished. I completed a Pilgrimage. AND I walked all the way across Northern Spain. For me - those two things were a huge deal - so that silly piece of paper meant a lot to me. But - really - how much time did collecting those stamps take? Um - I walked into a bar - ordered a drink - and collected a stamp. So - yes, I spent "too much" time alone and I "focused" on getting my stamps. But really? It was a perfect Camino for me and getting those silly little stamps and the silly little certificate took next to no time compared to my many weeks walking, reflecting, and recovering. And my walking alone was the most therapeutic thing I could have ever done for myself! So therapeutic - I am doing it again this summer. But this summer - I am not going into it as physically and emotionally drained as last year. So this summer - I do plan to try to interact more. Maybe. BTW - those stamps I collected along the way? They give me a lot of joy now! They bring back great memories.

"It's Your Camino" meaning that it okay to wake everyone up at 5 am by flipping on the lights and rustling plastic bags because--after all--it's YOUR Camino.
Is that a question or a statement? I hate those selfish people. And getting up in the middle of the dark walking with a light on the Camino ‘is NOT the Camino way’ as I was told by a local.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, like the guy last month who said he was planning his first day "stroll" to Espinal for SJPdP. Several of us warned him that is 39k, he has since dropped out and gone home after getting to Leon with a calf muscle issue.
So let's add the tried and true advice to pay attention to your body, that is not a misconception.
He made it all the way to León at that pace?!?

It happens believe me (claiming a Compostela).
I spent fifteen months (not consecutive but over four years) as a hospitalero. I never saw proof that it happens, but I heard more than once pilgrims complaining about people who park a car out of sight, walk to an albergue for a stamp, and back to the car to go to the next one.

In contrast, one day when our albergue was full, we offered to call a taxi to the next village for four fellows who arrived late at night. At first, they refused because riding in a vehicle "would be cheating." Eventually, they accepted the taxi, but came BACK the next morning so they could do the whole thing on foot. :)

I spent fifteen months (not consecutive but over four years) as a hospitalero. I never saw proof that it happens, but I heard more than once pilgrims complaining about people who park a car out of sight, walk to an albergue for a stamp, and back to the car to go to the next one.

In contrast, one day when our albergue was full, we offered to call a taxi to the next village for four fellows who arrived late at night. At first, they refused because riding in a vehicle "would be cheating." Eventually, they accepted the taxi, but came BACK the next morning so they could do the whole thing on foot. :)
Personally, I have only seen something like this once in Masilla de las Mullas when 4 ladies showed up with days packs at the albergue and then finally checked in later for the night with large backpacks. I discovered the next morning they had a car parked a few blocks from the center of town and each day one of the ladies would drive forward with their packs so the other 3 ladies could "walk?" the Camino.

He made it all the way to León at that pace?!?
Not exactly. I watched his thread carefully because I wanted to believe in his "bravado" about the a 39 k "stroll" on the first day. His stated his plan was to arrive in Pamplona on two days.
Truth is he spent the night in Roncevalles, then he had issues getting down to Zubiri, (as if we all don't?) and finally it was day 11 when he gave up in Leon after only keeping up a pace of about 10k/day.

the guy last month who said he was planning his first day "stroll" to Espinal from SJPdP. Several of us warned him that is 39k
It is not 39 km. Espinal is 6.5 km from Roncesvalles and the trail from Roncesvalles to Espinal is completely flat. For most pilgrims who start early from SJPP it is not a problem after having a short stop in Roncesvalles to walk to Espinal, where food options are much better than in Roncesvalles. That makes 25+6.5 = 31.5 km

https://goo.gl/maps/B6tsETpHqHyFCZbB6

From Espinal to albergue Jesus y Maria in Pamplona is 35 km.

During high season there is shortage of beds in Roncesvalles. Those who feel strong enough to continue should probably leave their bed for those who can't walk any further...

It is not 39 km. Espinal is 6.5 km from Roncesvalles and the trail from Roncesvalles to Espinal is completely flat. For most pilgrims who start early from SJPP it is not a problem after having a short stop in Roncesvalles to walk to Espinal, where food options are much better than in Roncesvalles. That makes 25+6.5 = 31.5 km

https://goo.gl/maps/B6tsETpHqHyFCZbB6

From Espinal to albergue Jesus y Maria in Pamplona is 35 km.

During high season there is shortage of beds in Roncesvalles. Those who feel strong enough to continue should probably leave their bed for those who can't walk any further...
I think you missed my original post, he said he was planning a "stroll" from SJPdP to Espinal on his first day. He found refuge at Roncevalles the first night and then marched onto Zubiri after finding the down hill a problem. So his 2 day walk to Pamplona took a little longer than he planned. Enough, the end of this conversation, thank you very much!!!!

There's an app out there without stages ...

I think you missed my original post, he said he was planning a "stroll" from SJPdP to Espinal on his first day. He found refuge at Roncevalles the first night and then marched onto Zubiri after finding the down hill a problem. So his 2 day walk to Pamplona took a little longer than he planned. Enough, the end of this conversation, thank you very much!!!!

Sure! I just wanted to say that many people walk from SJPP to Pamplona in two days, I did it too and didn't feel it was something special. Hostal Hazea in Espinal 6 km after Roncesvalles was full of pilgrims who came from SJPP.

As for common Camino misconceptions, I have one: you have to sleep in overrated Orisson and then the following night in overcrowded Roncesvalles. No you don't! It's entirely up to you. If you feel like walking, leave those places for those who need it more. Camino Frances is facing a very busy year, with 200-300 people starting daily from SJPdP at the peak of the season, not enough beds for everyone at Brierley hotspots!

Thank you and Happy Easter! 🐣

It’s a misconception that: The botafumeiro is done at the end of every mass at the cathedral
This is true but I think it is also a misconception that the butafumeiro is rarely swung. I have seen it swung at least twice (I have a sense I saw it twice one year) after three caminos.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Compare to some private albergues pictured here:

Its a misconception that it is my Camino.
Its a misconception that the Camino provides.
It is a misconception that any one method of using poles, carrying equipment, wearing of clothing has a defined correct method.
It is a misconception that I am correct.😜

It is a common misconception that you need walking poles. Or is it that you don't need walking poles. Hmmmm.
I think many misconceptions come in pairs.

It's a misconception that you need to train to walk a camino. It's a misconception that there is no need to train, one should just arrive and start walking.

It's a misconception that the best albergues are the ones with all modern conveniences. It's a misconception that the best albergues are the rustic ones filled with ambiente and no modern conveniences.

It's a misconception that caminos are best done without technology. It's a misconception that you need a good phone/GPS/app/etc.

It is a misconception that caminos are best walked alone. It is a misconception that caminos are best walked in companionship.

And so on. All of these are true for some people and at some times. But to see them as universally true is a misconception.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I heard this from a priest who brings wounded warriors on the Camino to help them heal...
It's a misconception that "It's your Camino....but my Camino is better than yours."

It is a misconception that the Camino is all about getting a compostela at the end of your walk. It's cool, but it's not NECESSARY. You can walk the Camino without this end goal.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back