• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What are the Alberge beds like?

Multipurpose

Time of past OR future Camino
March/April (2018) maybe 2017
I have watched several youtube vids that showed the bunk areas of the Alberges and I am trying to get some idea of what they are like. I have stayed in hostels here in Northern California, so I am assuming they are something like that. Do the bunks have sheets on them or some kind of covering that is cleaned on a regular basis? I normally sleep in my underwear, but I assume the Alberges are c0-ed and I don't think that would be proper in a co-ed place, so I am planning on wearing my next days clean hiking clothes to bed. Is that the standard practice?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have watched several youtube vids that showed the bunk areas of the Alberges and I am trying to get some idea of what they are like. I have stayed in hostels here in Northern California, so I am assuming they are something like that. Do the bunks have sheets on them or some kind of covering that is cleaned on a regular basis? I normally sleep in my underwear, but I assume the Alberges are c0-ed and I don't think that would be proper in a co-ed place, so I am planning on wearing my next days clean hiking clothes to bed. Is that the standard practice?

This is the question! You wont know how the beds are until you book in. Some cheap albergues are excellent some not. Some more expensive private albergues can be worse or better than the cheap municipals. If you have stayed in hostels before you will already have a good idea. Yes most are mixed sex, and yes most people sleep in their next days walking gear. Don't worry about it too much, all pilgrims are in the same boat so to speak, just go with the flow.

Buen Camino!
Davey

I think that most people bring at minimum a sleeping bag liner or sheet

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The beds are typically encased in a plastic/synthetic mattress cover, usually with a fitted sheet over the top. The sheet looks clean. Same for the pillows. In Galician junta albergues and in some others, you are given a disposable fitted sheet and pillow case to use. There may be blankets available as well. Sometimes you get the full bedding - sheets, blankets and bedspread. Many people wear their next-day's clothes or long underwear. Most people take either a sleeping bag or a liner.

...The sheet looks clean. Same for the pillows.......
:D:D 'Looks' is the operative word here. Next time I will be sure to have something to cover my pillow, especially since the envelope on my silk liner doesn't fit the Spanish pillows. Please note I am not complaining - all I wanted at the end of the day was a shower and a place to sleep - I am merely stating what I will do next time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Creakies, frequently. Many municipal and parochial albergues have very old bunk beds. The slightest motion sends a loud squeaking sound across the bedroom. It is quite uncomfortable if you (or the people next to you) make nightly visits to the bathroom, or are an early riser. It is as it is...

Last edited:
They are all different. Some are huge dorms, some are 2 man rooms, some you sleep on a mat on the floor.. Some are real nice and others not so much. Some have heat most don't. Most have blankets and they are NOT washed after each use and sometimes paper mattress covers are provided. Most mattresses and pillows are covered in blue vinyl. Bring a light weight travel blanket.
Albergues are all coed and sometime that includes the bathrooms. A lot of people walk around in their underwear at night and sleep in them. If you choose to wear shorts go ahead.
Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Last edited:
Albergues are as others have discribed. When you are the odd one meaning your the single man in a room of women or vice versa it can be uncomfortable. You diffinately have to go with the flow. If you can't find a blanket and need one ask, they are probably stored close by. We brought sleeping bags they worked we'll gave protection when needed. The pillow cover is valid we had blow up pillows that worked. I have to say most people were pretty respectful of others space and privacy. At times small groups form and trade photos till late hours etc. if your tired each day like I was most days not a problem. I am slightly hearing impaired that helped me a lot.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
They are all different. Some are huge dorms, some are 2 man rooms, some you sleep on a mat on the floor.. Some are real nice and others not so much. Some have heat most don't. Most have blankets and they are NOT washed after each use and sometimes paper mattress covers are provided. Most mattresses and pillows are covered in blue vinyl. Bring a light weight travel blanket.
Albergues are all coed and sometime that includes the bathrooms. A lot of people walk around in their underwear at night and sleep in them. If you choose to wear shorts go ahead.
Buen Camino

Happy Trails

They're mostly all co-ed but not quite, the two that spring to mind first are the Albergue Santa María de Carbajal "Benedictinas Carbajalas" in León, where (usually) the women sleep downstairs and the men sleep upstairs (I was there once during slow season and the men were in their usual dorm but the women were also upstairs, in the front room), and Albergue del Espíritu Santo in Carrión de los Condes, where the men and women have separate bedrooms. That albergue is a treat, with lovely single beds. :)

Some (if not most?) albergues require you to have at least a liner, if not a sleeping bag. I always travel with my silk liner and sleeping bag, whatever the season. Extra protection from bedbugs, and a barrier for hygiene reasons, plus more warmth in autumn. Even in July there were nights I was happy for both layers, in Rabanal for example where a blast of freezing cold mountain air meant that a fire was roaring in the fireplace, and in Fisterra at the coast, where the air can be damp and chilly at night, even in the middle of summer.

I love the descriptions people have given so far. Just as with the showers on the Camino, albergue beds come in all sizes and shapes and configurations! :D

Buen Bed Camino!

Rachel

P.S. Anyone reading this who doesn't yet know, and those who know but need a reminder, please do not put your backpack on albergue beds!!! Last year in various places after León, I was a little shocked to see pilgrims still doing that (and in one albergue, the hospitalero seeming not to know or care about it). It's a great way for bedbugs to hitch a ride, and it's also kind of yucky from a dirt perspective. Many thanks!

Last edited:

The first two times I walked the Camino were in September-October, and it was a little eye-opening when I walked my third in June-July and saw so many men walking around in their (tight and skimpy!) underwear. I mastered the art of looking off to the side (or up, or down) as I was walking here and there in the albergue. I was used to it by my fourth, also in June-July. ;) :D

I almost always sleep in my next day's clothes, yes, though if it's really hot, like during a summer heat wave, I sleep in a t-shirt and my hiking skirt, then put on my leggings and other shirt in the morning.

Also, I have seen women sleeping in their underwear too, but I find it easier and more convenient to already be dressed when I wake up.

Rachel

They're mostly all co-ed but not quite, the two that spring to mind first are the municipal albergue in León, where (usually) the women sleep downstairs and the men sleep upstairs (I was there once during slow season and the men were in their usual dorm but the women were also upstairs, in the front room)

Sadly, this albergue closed some years ago, due to municipal budgetary problems.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sadly, this albergue closed some years ago, due to municipal budgetary problems.

Okay, I misspoke (miswrote). I was shocked to read your words so did a web search. I meant the monastery albergue, Albergue Santa María de Carbajal "Benedictinas Carbajalas". I've always thought of it as the (or a) municipal albergue in León. I last stayed there in 2012, but friends of mine said they stayed there last year. Sorry for any confusion! I will edit my previous post now. I did know that what I thought of as the other municipal albergue closed, yes.

The monastery albergue's Facebook page seems to be current. I hope so, I have several happy memories of nights there! https://www.facebook.com/alberguesleon/

Thank you!

Rachel

P.S. I see this is post 123 for me! Fun! :D

I normally sleep in my underwear, but I assume the Alberges are c0-ed and I don't think that would be proper in a co-ed place, so I am planning on wearing my next days clean hiking clothes to bed. Is that the standard practice?
If you are American, be prepared to learn that Europeans are generally a whole lot less concerned with modesty than we are. You do not need to sleep or walk around in your underwear (or less), but lots of people, men and women, do. After a long day walking, no one pays much attention.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Some newer albergues look like you've walked into an IKEA showroom!!

Okay, I misspoke (miswrote). I was shocked to read your words so did a web search. I meant the monastery albergue, Albergue Santa María de Carbajal "Benedictinas Carbajalas". I've always thought of it as the (or a) municipal albergue in León. I last stayed there in 2012, but friends of mine said they stayed there last year. Sorry for any confusion! I will edit my previous post now. I did know that what I thought of as the other municipal albergue closed, yes.

The monastery albergue's Facebook page seems to be current. I hope so, I have several happy memories of nights there! https://www.facebook.com/alberguesleon/

Thank you!

Rachel

P.S. I see this is post 123 for me! Fun! :D

I stayed there this year. Now I realise that I don't know where women slept in, I just remember men around me.

As for the OP questions, a disposable sheet was provided in every albergue I stayed in and the most had vinyl covered mattersses. You will find people in their underwear and people in their birthday suit. Wear the most comfortable for you, nobody's gonna pay to see you, so...

I still remember that lady asking about the women showers, in Frómista. The hospitalera told her that bathroom is mixed and, surprised, the lady whispered "but, there are naked men". She had to wait for a while, I guess, until she felt comfortable to take a shower.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back