• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What are the chances of me cycling the camino de santiago?

Tomolia

Hi there,

I need some opinions from people who have previously cycled the full duration of the Camino de Santiago.

Basically im 28 years old (in decent shape generally, but not in terms of cardio) and im wanting to cycle the full thing on the 30th of March this year, but I fear that it might be out of reach until later this year. Basically ive not ridden a bike for knocking on 13 years now and ive just decided to get back into mountain biking as I used to really enjoy it throughout my youth. Due to not riding for so long my endurance and fitness levels are not on par, so I have 2 months to get on a high level of fitness. The objective is for me and my friend to do it in 13 days of cycling so roughly around 40miles/65km per day. Its a brand new bike so im not broke in yet on the saddle either.

Would you say this is at all possible for me to do or would you say im really pushing my luck hoping to get on a good enough endurance level within 2 months?

Im considering possibly waiting till oct/nov 2010 but my mate may not be able to join me at that time so ideally I want to do it at the beginning of this coming April.

Any opinions from ones who have previously completed the journey on a bike would be priceless

Many thanks

tom

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
No problem. Six weeks will get a 28 year old into decent shape. The route is not that hard. It has some hills, which don't go on forever, and the surface is with a few exceptions easy on a mountain bike. I've met several people who did NO preparation and survived.

Pack lightly. As in pack, then go back through it and leave out half of what you were thinking about hauling. Make sure your rear wheel and rack are bombproof.

Have fun, and let us know how it goes. PM me for any questions you might have.

You can do some homework here!

Attachments

• Cycle Blogs & websites.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Bike the Camino - Route.doc
    47 KB · Views: 216
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have cycled it a couple of times the first on a hypermarket bought bike, the second on a proper hardtail mountain bike.

Firstly 13 days is fine and April will be great. Take you time in the mountains and catch up on the flat. Remember once you have got to the top there are often second summits but the downhills afterwards are free miles. My first Camino was like you after a long period of inactivity but with a 15 year old son dragging me along we did it in 12 days.

Secondly do not be shy about wearing padded shorts or underpants. My first long tour taught me this lesson very quickly. You can wear padded underpants with ordinary shorts but Lycra shorts are likely to be more comfortable if you can bear them.

Thirdly get the bike serviced before you go. The hypermarket bike fell apart at Palas de Rei and as it was at the weekend I could not get a new wheel and had to push it much of the rest of the way.

The beginning of April is Easter week so you may find it busy and cyclists are traditionally put up after walkers at refugios.

Buen Camino

William

Thanks to all, yeah I have just got myself a new rather pricey hard tail MTB so im hoping that the at worst I will have to deal with a tire blowout or two. Im going to get some padded under shorts for sure as my seat is all contemporary and sleek but I can see it being a royal pain in the ass without some padding.

Should be no problem. I did the return trip when I was 50 in 2004 (total of 5450 km in 8 weeks).
Best of luck with your challenge.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
13 days is doable, but doesn't give you much in the way of rest/recovery days or days where you stay put due to very bad weather. The point is that if you run into trouble and need to keep to your completion date, you will have 3 options. (1) give up. (2) figure out where you can bus or train ahead, but try not to do this in the last 200 km, or (3) figure out how to go farther and faster (forward as much of your luggage to a service as you can so you have less weight to pedal.

Learn how to stay hydrated. Learn how to stay fueled. Learn how to recover at the end of each training day and then on your Camino. Stating hydrated is about drinking lots of water and electrolytes. Clear urine. Staying fueled is about getting carbs, fats and real protein each hour or at most 2 hours during hard exercise. Recovery starts with a protein carb drink at lunch and within 1/2 hour of when you quite biking each day. It also includes stretching, self massage, professional sport massage, and a rest day when you need it.

My suggestion with a hardtail is get an aftermarket $100+ saddle designed for your anatomy. Also spend the money to get a professional bike fitting. Gel bike shorts are great. Gel MTB gloves! Wrist and thumb pad nerve damage is not uncommon among novice long distance riders. You also need great wind/rain gear as it will rain on you.

Know how to change a tube/tire and learn how to inflate with a CO2 cartridge.

Good luck.

13 days is doable, but doesn't give you much in the way of rest/recovery days or days where you stay put due to very bad weather. The point is that if you run into trouble and need to keep to your completion date, you will have 3 options. (1) give up. (2) figure out where you can bus or train ahead, but try not to do this in the last 200 km, or (3) figure out how to go farther and faster (forward as much of your luggage to a service as you can so you have less weight to pedal.

Learn how to stay hydrated. Learn how to stay fueled. Learn how to recover at the end of each training day and then on your Camino. Stating hydrated is about drinking lots of water and electrolytes. Clear urine. Staying fueled is about getting carbs, fats and real protein each hour or at most 2 hours during hard exercise. Recovery starts with a protein carb drink at lunch and within 1/2 hour of when you quite biking each day. It also includes stretching, self massage, professional sport massage, and a rest day when you need it.

My suggestion with a hardtail is get an aftermarket $100+ saddle designed for your anatomy. Also spend the money to get a professional bike fitting. Gel bike shorts are great. Gel MTB gloves! Wrist and thumb pad nerve damage is not uncommon among novice long distance riders. You also need great wind/rain gear as it will rain on you.

Know how to change a tube/tire and learn how to inflate with a CO2 cartridge.

Good luck.
You realize that this thread is 8 years old?

Strange how the basics haven't changed in 8 years - fuel, water, comfort and preparation.

Suppose you could add GPS and technical equipment as they might have changed in this time.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back