• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

what are you thoughts on this schedule(options)

Terence Quinn

Time of past OR future Camino
future...september 26th is my starting date, 2017
IN 26-09
OUT 03-10

Option 1:
26-09: arrival and overnight stay in Sarria
27-09: Sarria TO Portomarin, walking distance: 22km
28-09: Portomarin TO Palas de Rei, walking distance: 25km
29-09: Palas de Rei TO Melide, 15 km
30-09:Melide TO Arzua, 15 km
01-10: Arzua TO Pedrouzo, walking distance: 20 km
02-10: Pedrouzo TO Santiago, walking distance: 20 km
03-10: breakfast included - return home

Option 2:
26-09: arrival and overnight stay in Sarria
27-09: Sarria TO Portomarin, walking distance: 22km
28-09: Portomarin TO Palas de Rei, walking distance: 25km
29-09: Palas de Rei TO Arzua, walking distance: 30km
30-09: Arzua TO Pedrouzo, walking distance: 20 km
01-10: Pedrouzo TO Santiago, walking distance: 20 km
02-10: additional night in Santiago
03-10: breakfast included - return home

If you are a fast, experienced hiker, 30 kms between Palas de Rei and Arzua should not be a problem ,
so I would take option 2
to enjoy 1 extra day to relax and visit Santiago.

If you feel that 30 km (18,5 miles) might be too much for 1 day, then a stop in Melide is a better choice.
cleardot.gif

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Both options are "reasonable" and have been successfully taken by many people. It is rather hard to guess which might be better for you, because we know nothing about you! :confused::)

There is also the option of staying in other villages in-between the major towns, to reduce that 30-km day, but leave a short last day walking, so you arrive early on 02-10. Then you would have at least a full afternoon and evening free in Santiago.

Option 2 is close to my last stages this year, except that I stayed just past Sarria in Barbadelo. I had no problem with any of those stages.

If you want to even out the distances you could stay in Ribadiso rather than Arzua.

I would definitely try to have more time in Santiago. Here's a good site for planning distances: http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did your option 2 in June with no problem. The difference is that it was my last 100km not my first 100km. My personal opinion is that if you can do 25km, another 5 will not be a problem. BTW, Albergue The Way in Arzua is new and nice. Buen Camino!

A consideration should be given to the fact that this is your first week+.
That is typically the hardest and most difficult time as you acclimate to the daily walking.

I have worked in the Pilgrim Office and noted that the Pilgrims who had started in Sarria were usually the most tired, injured and haggard looking. Most of longer walkers were much more fit and relaxed.

We are doing Option 1 starting on the 5th October. We are planning on reaching Santiago on Thursday 12th October which gives us two days there, or an extra day in case we need it on the walk itself. Flying back out on Saturday 14th.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did your option 2 in June with no problem. The difference is that it was my last 100km not my first 100km. My personal opinion is that if you can do 25km, another 5 will not be a problem. BTW, Albergue The Way in Arzua is new and nice. Buen Camino!

Totally agree with Albergue The Way in Arzua. 1 of my best stays. Casa Peltre in Sarria is good and so's Albergue Linares in Santiago.

If you're not dead-set on getting the Compostela, why not consider starting walking in Astorga and taking the bus the last bit to Santiago instead. This way you get to go through the cruz de ferro and O Cebreiro, plus avoid the huge crowds and accommodation problems from Sarria onwards. I'm really not a fan of the last 100km myself.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We did option two and it was quite reasonable. We did, however, make a critical stop in Melide at Pulperia Ezequiel for a pulpo (octupus) lunch and the only beer we had while we were in the middle of a walk .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back