• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What are your Music Playlist favorites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillip

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis - April/May (2015);
Camino Portuguese April/May (2016)
Hello Peregrinos,

What is your top five favorite songs while on or practicing for the Camino? Below are a few of my favorites:

1. "I Lived" by One Republic (Pop)
2. "If It Be Your Will" by Leonard Cohen (Folk)
3. "I Would Walk 500 Miles" by Kenny and The Scots
4. "Send Me On My Way" by Rusted Roots
5. "No Nostalgia" by AgesandAges (Alright You Restless)

Bonus for you ROCKERS - "Congregation" by FooFighters!

Tell my about your favorites! Buen Camino!

Phillip Thompson

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Easiest thread I've replied to.I do not take music on Camino,but when I use treadmill in gym I always listen to a C.D.released some years ago by the traditional Irish group"The Chieftains" that is actually called"Santiago".It's a mixture of Spanish,Latin and Irish music,and the final track"Dublin in Vigo"is the most apt end of Camino celebration one could ask for.If in doubt,check out Dublin in Vigo on Utube.

There's a band my step-brother introduced me to called 'Black Rebel Motorcycle Club' from California who had their female drummer undergo brain surgery late last year (successful). I bought a shirt they were selling to raise funds to help with her surgery that I will bring on my first Camino. REALLY good band that's been around for about 12 years, will be listening to some on the camino:

Will become my Camino practice playlist. Thanks...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
1. "Birds singing"
2. "Happy pilgrims chatting"
3. "Sounds from the kitchen by fellow pilgrims"
4. "Cork leaving the bottleneck"
5. "Whispering breeze"

And the extremely rare
6. "Silent dorm"

No earplugs with music for me.

;)
Can't wait to hear this music on my journey. Only 64 more days before I board the plane!

There's a band my step-brother introduced me to called 'Black Rebel Motorcycle Club' from California who had their female drummer undergo brain surgery late last year (successful). I bought a shirt they were selling to raise funds to help with her surgery that I will bring on my first Camino. REALLY good band that's been around for about 12 years, will be listening to some on the camino:

Excellent recommendation - "Shuffle Your Feet" strikes a cord. Thank you for sharing!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Peregrinos,

What is your top five favorite songs while on or practicing for the Camino? Below are a few of my favorites:

Phillip Thompson

I rely on a playlist when snoring or other circumstances keep me from sleeping. My Bose noise cancelling headphones are an excellent resource in that regard. Most playlists include Loreena McKennitt, Ivan Najera and Passenger. Having said that I have about 100 artists recorded on my iPhone and can access any of it any time.
I applaud pilgrims who choose to listen to music (any audio really) via headphone. I also applaud those who choose not to listen to music. You camino and your choice.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Like Alex, for me it's the crunch of the gravel, the click-clacking of pole (not mine, of course) the birds, chickens, cows, sheep bells, the wind on the Meseta, the wind through the trees, the promise of a warning from a bell on a bike but above all someone not sharing his/her favorite playlist with the rest of the world to hear, especially when singing a favorite song off key at the top of their voice karaoke style.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Peregrinos,

Phillip Thompson
Hi Phillip!
I always bring Kate Bush with me, have a listen to the album 'Aerial'. Tracks to get you whooshing up that tough climb: 'King of the Mountain', 'Sea of Honey' for when you're coming down the other side of that tough climb and lodgings are in sight on the horizon!
And everything else in between for whenever you want. (Particularly when you need to block out the snoring if you're in a large dorm) :)

For me, the Holy Spirit often to speaks to me through music. I realized this as a teenager and it has become a very important part of my life’s journey. I too love the sounds of life and people. Having not yet taken my first step on the Camino, I really don’t know yet how I will embrace the experience or even how much music will be a part of it.

Sometimes I do listen to music when I practice walk. I use it to mediate and motivate. When I’m on the 17 mile of a 20 mile practice walk and fatigue/pain sets-in, I find that the right music will reduce my load, speed up my steps and focus my effort. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, recommendations and experiences. Buen Camino!

Letter of Saint Paul to the Ephesians: Chapter 5, verses 18& 19 - And be not drunk with wine, wherein is luxury; but be ye filled with the holy Spirit, 19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms, and hymns, and spiritual canticles, singing and making melody in your hearts to the Lord.

Reactions: Arn
@rometimed I'll be looking out for that T-shirt :)

There's a time for music, and there's a time for sounds of the path.

Few nice gregorian chants for the churches.

There's Start Me Up by the Rolling Stones for the uphills.

There'll be some Brian Eno ambient sounds to put me to sleep.

And then Faithless's God is a DJ before showertime.

Some Mozart and Beethoven for emergencies.

And Leonard Cohen's Popular Problems on the plane home.

----

I won't play this song but it'll be in my head. It's Pink Floyd's song Fearless....

You say the hill's too steep to climb,
Climb it!
You say you'd like to see me try,
Climb it!
You pick the place and I'll choose the time
And I'll climb
The hill in my own way
Just wait a while, for the right day
And as I rise above the treeline and the clouds
I look down and hear the sound of the things you said today

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@rometimed I'll be looking out for that T-shirt :)

There's a time for music, and there's a time for sounds of the path.

Few nice gregorian chants for the churches.

There's Start Me Up by the Rolling Stones for the uphills.

There'll be some Brian Eno ambient sounds to put me to sleep.

And then Faithless's God is a DJ before showertime.

Some Mozart and Beethoven for emergencies.

And Leonard Cohen's Popular Problems on the plane home.

----

I won't play this song but it'll be in my head. It's Pink Floyd's song Fearless....

You say the hill's too steep to climb,
Climb it!
You say you'd like to see me try,
Climb it!
You pick the place and I'll choose the time
And I'll climb
The hill in my own way
Just wait a while, for the right day
And as I rise above the treeline and the clouds
I look down and hear the sound of the things you said today
Love it! Thanks and Buen Camino!

No music for me on the camino. On practise walks at home I listen to music (the same as I run to a mix of Kent, Robyn, Covenant, Depeche Mode, Peter LeMarc and some other) sometimes but mostly not. Sometimes I do listen to a audiobook when walking. If I go to the mountains for hiking I sometimes bring an audiobook but never music.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No music for me on the camino. On practise walks at home I listen to music (the same as I run to a mix of Kent, Robyn, Covenant, Depeche Mode, Peter LeMarc and some other) sometimes but mostly not. Sometimes I do listen to a audiobook when walking. If I go to the mountains for hiking I sometimes bring an audiobook but never music.

I've done 2 Camino audiobooks in the last week lol. I also just started listening to Emilio Estevez/Martin Sheen co-autobiography called "Along the Way: The Journey of a Father and Son" ... it's interesting as they each narrate chapters they wrote and it's a bit of a back and forth on how they gained their own different spirituality and where they came from as individuals as a contrast... + it ties in with their movie on the Camino.

Last edited:
Wow, I forgot all about Kate Bush. How did that happen? Thanks for the reminder PeregrinalR!
I have a great playlist, but believe most people are not really interested in it. Although my 21 year old tweeted how cool I was when he saw "It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp" on mine. Oh yeah.

Hi Phillip!
I always bring Kate Bush with me, have a listen to the album 'Aerial'. Tracks to get you whooshing up that tough climb: 'King of the Mountain', 'Sea of Honey' for when you're coming down the other side of that tough climb and lodgings are in sight on the horizon!
And everything else in between for whenever you want. (Particularly when you need to block out the snoring if you're in a large dorm) :)

Great choice! I love this album, it's already on my ipod ready to go. Definitely agree with the two songs you picked as well!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Peregrinos,

Just curious. Did you learn about 'Congregation' from watching Sonic Highways (episode 3 - Nashville)? I thought it was very interesting after watching the episode to hear the song, written by Dave Grohl about his week in Nashville, and understand exactly what it was about.

I didn't listen to much music on the Camino but did take this video on my iPhone which I showed to quite a few pilgrims from other countries who had no idea about David Bryne and The Talking Heads. One of my favorite performances ever. And the line "This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around" seemed apropos to the Camino.

Just curious. Did you learn about 'Congregation' from watching Sonic Highways (episode 3 - Nashville)? I thought it was very interesting after watching the episode to hear the song, written by Dave Grohl about his week in Nashville, and understand exactly what it was about.

I didn't listen to much music on the Camino but did take this video on my iPhone which I showed to quite a few pilgrims from other countries who had no idea about David Bryne and The Talking Heads. One of my favorite performances ever. And the line "This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around" seemed apropos to the Camino.

Sonic Highways was fantastic!! I learned a lot too.

and people don't know the Talking Heads? thanks for sharing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hello Jayree,

Thank you for the Sonic Highways suggestions. I hadn't seen that episode, so I watched it last night. It's amazing how inspiration can be affected by a location. I'm a Zac Brown fan as well and didn't know that his studio was in an old church or that the Foo Fighter's wrote and recorded the song there.

My daughter is a super wonderful person and since her mom's passing, she has taken up the job of nag in my life. Though sometimes (usually) she comes up with a suggestion I can truly make mine.
When I was thru-hiking the AT, I had a lot of time to just enjoy the outdoors and think. Sometimes the thoughts would make me sad.
Romi suggested I take some music and listen to it as I walk.

Right, the last thing I needed was additional weight. My pack, including tent, 2.5 lbs/1 kg of food per day, cooking gear, etc. topped out at about 54 lbs/24 kg.
We had three days together before she deposited me back on the AT near Virginia Tech. The entire time, while in her car, she played: Enya and Abba; over and over and over. I found that, once back on the trail...those two artists stayed with me. The beat is great and orderly. Enya's "Anywhere" runs about 35 minutes...which equates to a 4 km per hour pace.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h-sqcM4LCs

Abba's "Take a chance" is great on flat straightaways, delivering a high tempo 5 km per hour pace.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-crgQGdpZR0

I try to stick with happy music.

For years, anytime I heard Heart's "Alone" I would immediately spiral into the abyss.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cw1ng75KP0

I have been practicing "mindfulness" for several years and introduce folks to the practice as a method of remaining...in the present. Not dwelling on the past, nor focused on the future. Rather being here...right now...completely in the present.

So, music aside as Alexwalker, Wayfarer and Don put it...I walk in the Camino moment...happily.

The Sound of Silence...

Me, too. Never listened to my iPod on the Camino, but I took pictures with it, read/sent emails when there was wifi, and read books: The Pilgrimage Road To Santiago by Gitlitz and Davidson, and How To Fix Your Feet, which was very useful!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Peregrinos,

Phillip Thompson

I would love to add this
to my play list but I don't know how to copy it off of youtube.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My top five (not scientific, here) ended up being in no particular order:

Thank You, Alanis Morissette
The Luckiest, Ben Folds
One Love, Bob Marley
Galileo, Indigo Girls
Copperline, James Taylor

Buen Camino!

I've a Camino playlist, which I've listened to on the plane and train journeys to/from the Camino. I've never needed to play it while walking the Camino, but I would do so in the future if I was having a tough day. Here's the spotify link: Camino It's a mixture of walking/wandering themed songs, noisy stuff, calming tunes etc.

I've added a few more Foo Fighters tracks to it - so thanks Philip, Jayree and others for that prompt! I'll be seeing Foo Fighters at Glastonbury this year just after I get home from the Camino - hopefully a good cure for the post Camino blues.

Looking forward to checking out the other suggestions in this thread.

I have difficulty with headphones, so walking with music has never been my thing. But I have to say that one of the best things that ever came to me from the Camino is the playlist from a fellow pilgrim. And in fact I played it this afternoon at work - listening to music at work being a first in years and years. I did create a playlist myself, but it was more to accompany my Camino pictures than to listen to en route.

I'll be seeing Foo Fighters at Glastonbury this year just after I get home from the Camino - hopefully a good cure for the post Camino blues.

Hi Nuala, have a great time at Glastonbury! If one of the volunteers you come across is named Sally, say Hi to her from me. We walked the Camino Frances together in 2013; we’re sisters. Sally listened to lots of music across the meseta, as it helped to take her mind away from the pain in her shin. The pain went away once we started climbing hills again. Jill

I've been trying to compile a list. I'm not too sure if I'll bring it or not, or just work on learning the tunes (and words) so I have it in my head, not playing in my ears while walking. I may have it as a "back up" plan in case I need it.
Here are the songs I have narrowed it down to:

Good Morning - Mandisa

Overcomer - Mandisa

Stronger - Mandisa

10,000 Reasons - Matt Redman

The Climb - Miley Cyrus

Don't Give Up - Watershed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6bis2rE2C0

Home - by Phillip Phillips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTg1n95--KE&list=RDOTg1n95--KE

Lost Get Found - Britt Nicole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO2prEoATH8

You'll Never Walk Alone - Point of Grace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKyCeAc9A-I

Silence at the heart of things - Oliver Schroer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-_sjz6Iazo

Field of Stars - Oliver Schroer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTPQNMe9yRc&list=PLE26C2CFE143BD273

Future Back - FC Creative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSHModt1ey0

Move - Mercy Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmUDDxflt6o

Make a Move - Royal Tailor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbELfw2H_Xc

Awake and Alive - Skillet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aJUnltwsqs

Fight Another Day - Addison Road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_6aJr2yZW8&list=RDz_6aJr2yZW8

Unbreakable - Fireflight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWRJAHaOrYg

Compass - Jonathan Thulin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JL7gSNB3xA

Never Once - Matt Redman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=722zPX1npcA

Everything - Lifehouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYO1Pf-_EQw&list=RDjYO1Pf-_EQw#t=4

Broken - Lifehouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6cdPeYJh0s

Strong Enough - Matthew West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knuHDPbE5es

Only A Mountain - Jason Castro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OWLs1G3q1o

El Camino Santiago - The Road is Long and Lonely-Dick Le Mair (Best song to represent Camino)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA1iJwz8i2s

U2 - Still haven't found what I'm looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb1XXs7e7ac#t=49

Wide Open Spaces - Dixie Chicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dom7VlltBUc#t=33

Walk On - 4Him

http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=9JF1FCNU

Long Way Home - Stephen Curtis Chapman

http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=K7D7GGNX

Walk With You - Della Reese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Hjgf3FRrc

Ventura - Tyler Bates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk5XdFeOCUI

Decided to compile Play-list for the Caminho,instead, from a cast of thousands:-

“High On The Skyline”. THE NEW MENDICANTS ( this is not a monastic order! )
” Soul Shoes”. GRAHAM PARKER
“You Better Move On”. ARTHUR ALEXANDER
“One More Cup of Coffee”. CALEXICO & ROGERMcGOUGH
“True Love & High Adventure” GRAND DRIVE
“There Goes the Sun”. PERNICE BROTHERS
“The Lower Road. THEA GILMORE featuring JOAN BAEZ
“It Will Be a Good Day” YES
“Ends of the Earth” LORD HURON
“Everyman Needs a Companion” Fr JOHN MISTY
“Sangre de Cristo”. SCUD MOUNTAIN BOYS
“Wild Places”. COLIN BLUNSTONE
“Travelling Alone”. TIFT MERRITT
“Walk Like a Giant”. NEIL YOUNG
“Mr Blue Sky”. TONY DISCONTI ( Jeff Lynne Tribute)
“Jesus is a Hobo”. CHARLIE PARR
“Down Among the Cove “. DUANE ALLMAN
“June Hymn” THE DECEMBRISTS
“Hot Dusty Roads”. BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD
“Beautiful View”. RON SEXSMITH
“Ramblin’ On My Mind”. ROBERT JOHNSON
“The Sea “. SANDY DENNY
“Crossroads”. RYAN COODER
“Pinches of Salt” ROY HARPER
“Beyond the Shore”. WILLARD GRANT CONSPIRACY
“Into the Great Wide Open”. TOM PETTY
“Waterfalls”. PAUL McCARTNEY
“Ease Down the Road”. BONNIE PRINCE BILLY
“Miles from Nowhere”. CAT STEVENS
“On a Day Like This”. ELBOW
“Restless Feet”. DANNY &THE CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD
“Wide River to Cross”. LEVON HELM
“As I Roved Out”. JANE SIBERRY
“Going Home”. LEONARD COHEN

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's all I can do to listen to nature while walking Camino, and still be able to hear a $@%$ bicycle screaming up on me going 100 km/h... or what feels like 100 km/h. :(

Not strictly one for the IPad but watch this pianist peregrino at Grañón. Starting at 5:09 into this you tube video.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I remember contributing to this topic before my Camino. I made out my special playlist etc. After I started walking, I preferred listening to the sound of the wind, the bells on the animals, and my footsteps to my iPod. I ended up shipping my iPod ahead early on and I never regretted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back