• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Share your backpack choice with your body info!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have this pack https://www.gregorypacks.com/packs-bags/backpacking-packs/stout-45-126872XXXX.html
It fits me well, I'm 57F 5'8ish ( 174 cm) 150lb (68kg). I chose the pack as it would fit my trekking poles for my flights as well as leave me room for things I bought after Camino. It was easy to adjust all the straps and had plenty of pockets for things without having to dig into the bag. Very comfortable, will walk with it again in September.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m guessing that you’re most interested in women’s packs. My wife carries an Osprey 36L Sirrus. The key factor in choosing this pack is that of all the packs she tried, it fit the best. Although demographics may yield some information, there’s no substitution for trying packs on and getting some expert advice. Having a pack with torso adjustment was a big plus. The folks at REI were particularly helpful.

I was 69 when I walked the Camino and used a Deuter 28L. I'm 5'3 and about 62kg. I tried all the most popular brands mentioned on the forum that people swore were wonderful, but for me they were unbelievably uncomfortable. Finally the guy fitting me with the Deuter told me I was exceptionally short from armpit to waist but the Deuter would work for me as the back was adjustable. He was right, the Deuter worked perfectly for me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m guessing that you’re most interested in women’s packs. My wife carries an Osprey 36L Sirrus. The key factor in choosing this pack is that of all the packs she tried, it fit the best. Although demographics may yield some information, there’s no substitution for trying packs on and getting some expert advice. Having a pack with torso adjustment was a big plus. The folks at REI were particularly helpful.

Thanks so much! I was at REI today and tried my first 2 options on and now I’m curious about other’s experiences! I really appreciate you!

I have this pack https://www.gregorypacks.com/packs-bags/backpacking-packs/stout-45-126872XXXX.html
It fits me well, I'm 57F 5'8ish ( 174 cm) 150lb (68kg). I chose the pack as it would fit my trekking poles for my flights as well as leave me room for things I bought after Camino. It was easy to adjust all the straps and had plenty of pockets for things without having to dig into the bag. Very comfortable, will walk with it again in September.
I’ve never heard of this brand! Thank you! Maybe we will run into each other bc I will start in September too! :) Buen Camino!

I really like the Gregory Juno 36 that I used last year. I'm about an inch taller than you, similar weight.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm too short for typical backpacks by Gregory, Vaude, and other companies, sadly! (5'0", 150 lbs) I walk with almost this same pack: G4Free 35L backpack from Amazon, $40.00. 2.14lbs. My version has no belt as this one does and only weighs 14oz., but this is the same company. Because I pack so very light, my beltless version works wonderfully. If I carried more weight, I would need a sturdier pack with more support and apparatus. I keep my pack weight under seven pounds (does not include water).

Last edited:
I have an off the shelf pack Sand Hill 45 from Red Fox. I am 5 '4" and weigh 180 lbs. It works for me and has aluminum stays to support it.

My husband is 5'11" and has a 6 Moons Design Swift X pack that is waterproof and much lighter. He was able to order a vest instead of straps to carry it and really likes it. Everyone is different.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
do not like packs that are long and narrow, I prefer my pack to be a bit shorter and wider. It's more comfortable for me, and I highly recommend it.
Me too. I mostly liked my first backpack, but it was very long - actually longer than the most generous airline's cabin size (though I was allowed to take it on board). Plus it interfered with my hat when I wore one.
My current pack is the perfect combination if height and width.

I had a Lowe alpine which had an adjustable back in women's model - I am 5'3 and female. But it had a small accident after decent service. I tried on a few different ones - deuter I found really uncomfortable, I think as I am busty sometimes straps are not in great positions... even the updated lowe alpines weren't as good a fit as my old one. I ended up with Osprey Tempest 30L which is fine, just a little small for carrying camping gear when camino-ing in France but even now on my winter camino in Spain it is fine. And this is the thing there is no magic backpack... its trial and error to find one that fits, serves your purpose and allows you to carry you load with reasonable ease. One nice thing about the tempest is larger hipbelt pockets (than my old lowe alpine) that fit my phone... but that is a nice extra!

Am 5'6" (168cm) about 75kg. (+/-) and age 67 now. Have been using a Deuter ACT 35+10 since my 1st Camino at age 60 and it fits me well. Have looked at some lighter ones, thinking maybe a new one, but am sticking with this. It has served me well on 4 Caminos so far and fits in the carry-on bins on flights.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am 77 and 5'6" and weigh 74 kgs. I have an Aarn Liquid Agility 30 backpack with balance pockets. I have carried it for my last 3 caminos and find it ideal - lightweight in itself and stops me from carrying too much!

It would be helpful if you included your age, sex, height and weight!!

For example:
I’m a 27yo Female- 5’7” (170cm) 135 lbs (61kg)

Thank you for your insight!
5’7” female, 140 lbs 66 years old. 34l Gregory Jade, five Caminos

How tall is she?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was 69 when I walked the Camino and used a Deuter 28L. I'm 5'3 and about 62kg. I tried all the most popular brands mentioned on the forum that people swore were wonderful, but for me they were unbelievably uncomfortable. Finally the guy fitting me with the Deuter told me I was exceptionally short from armpit to waist but the Deuter would work for me as the back was adjustable. He was right, the Deuter worked perfectly for me.
Me too - last time I walked in 2019 and previous- this is super. I'm 5ft3" and will be using it again in Fall 2023. I will be 78 yrs then. 135lbs Buen Camino

I am 72, height 5’3”, weight 56 kg, walked the Camino Ingles last autumn with an Osprey Skimmer 28L which was peffect. Walked Frances in 2011 with a Berghaus 36L which was ok, and after that in 2013/15/17 walked with Osprey Sirius 36L. Still think the 28 was the best. Good luck finding what suits you.

For example:

I am 5’9” female and I bought a 36L Woods brand from Canadian Tire. It was a store brand that was light weight and has served me well. I could have spent a lot more for a lighter weight back and top opening pack that weighed ounces. But I bought the one that fit my back length the best, I did not want to spend a couple of hundred dollars for a better quality one as I did not know if I would ever use a backpack again. 4 years later it is still serving me well.

I carried an Osprey Sirius 36 liter. Shorter and about your weight but those don't really factor into pack sizing. It's your torso measurement that tells you the size and the gear tells you the capacity. 36 liters carries up to 20 pounds which is more than most carry. Find an outdoor store like REI and try on weighted packs. https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpack.html

DyanTX's advice to find a store where you can try weighted packs is exactly right! I spent an afternoon trying on nearly every pack in the store, weighted at about 20 lbs., and narrowed it down to two choices. Then went back a day or two later and test-drove each candidate for about 30-40 minutes, walking around, climbing stairs, etc. I ended up with a pack that fits me perfectly and has never caused me a moment of misery. It happens to be a Gregory Jade, but that's incidental. The important thing is to spend whatever time is needed to find the one that fits you. (I am 70, 5'6", 130 lbs, and have used my pack on three caminos so far.)

As a 185cm guy I don’t have a specific recommendation however, definitely go to several outdoor stores like REI so you get to try a variety of packs. If you can have your Camino kit with you to shove in the pack that would be best. Bring full water bottles too! Nothing beats a properly loaded pack and experienced staff to fit it to you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Male 5’10 90kg. Osprey Kestrel 38; only ever about 2/3 full but it fits me perfectly. (Which is the only factor which really matters). Adjustable back-length and an excellent hip-belt with sternum strap and easily adjustable load-lifters. Reasonable air-flow.

I’m 54, 5’2” (157cm) and about 160 lbs (72kg) after an ankle injury, but hoping to be down a bit again by Camino time. I’m an experienced backpacker and am debating between my Gregory Jade 38 (XS) and my Gregory Maven 45 (XS) for the Camino. Both are actually the same weight, since the Maven is designed as a lightweight pack. The big difference is that the Jade has a side zipper that’s really convenient and the Maven has a more traditional bottom zip compartment. Not sure which will be better on a non-camping trip. 🤔

I’ve never heard of this brand! Thank you! Maybe we will run into each other bc I will start in September too! :) Buen Camino!
If you're starting in Faro, Portugal it's a possibility!
Gregory is a decent pack. It's not high end, it's not ultralight, but it is durable and I found it comfortable to wear.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here are my thoughts. I like to have lots of compartments instead of a big sack to store my things in. That said, once I get walking, I rarely need anything in the depths of my bag. I carry my credential, passport and valuables on my person in zippered pockets. Water is within reach either hanging on my straps or in a waterborne pocket and food or snacks are shoved into another easily accessible pocket on my pack. Sandals/crocs where I can get to them in a waterbottle pocket to switch a quickly when I arrive at an albergue.

My husband is less particular and has more of a dump it into the big bag approach. Think about what your approach will be and it will help you decide.

I am female, 175 cm / 73 kg and have been using my Deuter Act Lite 35+10 since my first camino in 2017 when I was 54.
It is not one of the lightest packs but I find it very comfortable to carry and easy to keep organized.
It is well-made and therefore still hardly showing any wear as you can see on this photo taken on my recent Caminho Portugês.

Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 19.46.35.png

€83,-
I had an osprey Exos 38 litre but it was generally less than half full. Male 67 175 and 80 kg.

I also had a bum/Fanny pack of a 3 or 4 liters which I used to carry my money, cards, pilgrim credentials and passport. This was always attached to me.

Basically my advice is take as little as possible.2D59F7F3-5030-4957-8CB5-C27EEFEBA0BE.jpeg8AD6BDA5-8971-41F8-B4D2-C33FBD0B3294.jpeg

I had an osprey Exos 38 litre but it was generally less than half full. Male 67 175 and 80 kg.

I also had a bum/Fanny pack of a 3 or 4 liters which I used to carry my money, cards, pilgrim credentials and passport. This was always attached to me.

Basically my advice is take as little as possible.View attachment 139649View attachment 139650
Proper gaiters. Good man.

Some time later: what in the name of all that is holy are you carrying out in front? I was expecting a slim pouch of paperwork.

Last edited:
Male, 6', 190 lbs. I'll be using a Hyperlite Junction 3400. It has more room than I need but I used it last year on the AT and love how it is configured and it fits, so will be taking it along with me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Male
62yo at the time of the Camino
5'8" 191lbs in SJPdP 170 in SdC
35L Gregory Zulu
LOVED the back mesh and 3L water camel capability

For example:

I am a 67 year old female, 5'3 and 50kgs. I will be doing my first Frances in September too, but have tried my pack on a 7 day walk here at home.
I have an Aarn pace magic 33, which is ultra lightweight, has inbuilt chest water bottle pickets, and 2 large pockets attached to waist strap. Water holders and waist pockets have double clips for security - a bit more to deal with when putting on/taking off, but otherwise very comfortable.

For example:

My wife carries an Osprey Sirrus 24 litre.
She is 156 cms, 50 ish, 50 kgs
Don't tell her I told you!

I use an Osprey Sirrus 34 Litre
I'm 173 cms, 65 and 85 kgs.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

For example:

Hi @kcorbharas do you like top loading backpacks, side access backpacks or clamshell (front loading/uzip) backpacks?

Are you planning to carry your pack or use couriers (daily or occasionally)?

Do you like stuff hanging off your backpack and/or do you want room to stow your food?

The reason I ask is that any thoughts I may have, are usually swayed by these 3 questions. Everything else (for me) then just becomes a question of variation to that design.

Personally, for the Camino Frances (not really a hike, more a daily walk) I like clam shell packs. Easy to undo and easy to access stuff at all levels of my pack without the need to take stuff out....

I'm a male 6'4" 90kg. 3 Caminos, 3 different packs. Last Camino (Aug/Sept 2022) Osprey Kestrel 38l (side access). Next Camino (Aug/Sept 2023) have bought a Lowe Alpine Airzone 35:45 (clamshell).

Interestingly I see that Lowe Alpine also make an actual "Camino" backpack.

Trail to Peak did a good review of back[acks for the Camino about 18 months ago (https://trailtopeak.com/2021/02/11/10-best-backpacks-for-pilgrims-walking-camino-de-santiago-2021/)

My final thoughts are:
- if you can get the pack you choose professionally fitted, do so, you won't regret the 15-20 minutes invested;
- ask the store to show you how to adjust your pack (do some practice before you leave home)
- Do some reading on signs your backpack is not fitted correctly and how to adjust (e.g. numbness of thigh - sign waste strap is squeezing on a nerve - see meralgia paraesthetica)

All the best for your Camino

The Aarn (a New Zealand brand) is well worth considering. I (male, 170 cm, 71 kg) and three females (all under 160 cm) have used the Aarn Aspiration with its balance pockets. All four of us have thought it brilliant The balance pockets make a huge difference.

72 F 130
I also use the Jade 38. (Four caminos) Something to consider, after getting the correct fit - most important - is how it opens. There are some styles, the Jade included, that have a zipper that opens "u" shaped when the bag is laid flat, allowing you to see and access all your stuff. I found that by always packing my bag the exact same way, I could see if an item was missing or out of place. In my 4 Caminos I only ever walked off without one item - a bar of soap left to dry out on the windowsill of an albergue shower. I also used a small waist pack ("fannypack") in front to carry phone, camera, credential etc. My Caminos were very early Spring or late Fall so I needed to carry warmer clothes.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

For example:

Hi 🙋🏻‍♀️ I am female, 42, 168cm, 55kg and used the Deuter Trail 28 sl. I absolutely loved it. Everything and some more fit and it never got too heavy. Top and Front access made packing a breeze and it is super comfortable to carry.

I am female, 175 cm / 73 kg and have been using my Deuter Act Lite 35+10 since my first camino in 2017 when I was 54.

View attachment 139648

This Deuter was my first Camino backpack in 2007. I loved it and used it for many trips and treks and then on my second Camino in 2018.
I updated to Osprey Sirius 36 this year.
I’m not sure the Osprey is quite as comfortable as the Deuter but the overall design and pockets work really well and it is a bit lighter - and now it’s my new best Camino friend.
I am female - 71 - 5’ 4” - 68 kg.

Curious as I am researching the right backpack for me also: Are you carrying your items through or have a porter service? I'm debating between the Osprey Eja 48 vs 58-- and only because I felt the extra room is easier for me to pack (don't like things hanging out).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Curious as I am researching the right backpack for me also: Are you carrying your items through or have a porter service? I'm debating between the Osprey Eja 48 vs 58-- and only because I felt the extra room is easier for me to pack (don't like things hanging out).
I found the Osprey 36L big enough for a 1000 kim Camino without having anything hanging out and with room for snacks/food and water bladder. But what will work for you depends on your size - bigger people have bigger clothes - and what you consider to be essentials.

I am 5’1 with long legs. In 2001, 2002 very fit at 110 pounds. Won’t mention weight in other treks to Santiago.

During winter camino 2014, once I arrived in Pamplona three days after starting in SJPP, I gave away my nice pack purchased at nice sporting goods store, packed with too many nice things, also given away, to staff at Jesus and Maria albergue.

The pack was lightweight but still too heavy for me. My right shoulder aches terribly if required to bear too much weight.

I then purchased a cheap daypack for 8 euro at Pamplona’s open air market. Then stuffed it with remaining necessities: lightweight sleeping bag, two changes of clothes, poncho, ropa interior, flip-flops for shower, toiletries, and little else.

You have to figure what works best for you. Also, take care to register how much weight you can truly carry. In order to complete camino comfortably, fit and backpack weight are second only to proper footwear.

Buen camino.

Last edited:
I will be embarking on my first Camino in September and am also trying to pick the best pack. I’m 5’2” and 148lbs. Here’s the problem I’ve been running into when trying on different packs: many of them have pockets on the waistband that stick out on the sides. As someone of a sturdy Irish build, I have wide hips. Which means these pockets rub on the insides of my arms as I’m walking. Does anyone have a recommendation for a pack they like that doesn’t have the pockets (as convenient as they are) on the waist band?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Osprey Tempest 30L is what I wore for 2 Caminos - I own two of them, one is a size small and one is a size medium. My spine length is such that leaves me between the two sizes. But - the harness also is adjustable - you can release the velcros inside the pack to make the base of the harness higher or lower in addition to adjusting just the straps - so that is great. The small one is actually more like a 28L pack according to website information even though it is still called a 30L - so pay attention to actual capacity if buying a smaller size pack for your frame - medium and large are usually the advertised capacity. Small or medium packs may have slightly less capacity. I like my Tempest a lot - it has space for a hydration pack and it has 2 outside/side pockets that can hold 1L water bottles - so it is versatile that way. It has one exterior stretchy/mesh pocket that isn't really big - but I always put my sandals/rain jacket in it. The lid has a mesh pocket on the inside that was big enough to keep my electronics and hygiene supplies and on the outside here was another pocket that I used to put some quick access items. It does have 2 hip belt pockets - but they are a little on the small side and positioned more towards the pack making them a little awkward to acces - but I did put my headlamp in one and some other items I don't use all the time but might want to find easily in them. I always wear a bum bag to carry my phone/valuables in - so the hipbelt pockets being awkward wasn't a problem. You may find some work for you and some don't. I bought their 24L for my next Camino since I have pared down my gear list enough to go smaller.

So that is my review of the Tempest - but you really have to try the packs on with some weight in them to know what will work for you! And best to get measured for correct fit - but as I said - some have adjustable harnesses to work with too.

Female 5'5" 135lbs (My daughter is 5'7" 130lbs and wears a medium Osprey Tempest)

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be embarking on my first Camino in September and am also trying to pick the best pack. I’m 5’2” and 148lbs. Here’s the problem I’ve been running into when trying on different packs: many of them have pockets on the waistband that stick out on the sides. As someone of a sturdy Irish build, I have wide hips. Which means these pockets rub on the insides of my arms as I’m walking. Does anyone have a recommendation for a pack they like that doesn’t have the pockets (as convenient as they are) on the waist band?

If you do not want pockets on a hip belt, they can be removed.

I'm 5x10 and 250 lbs. I'm using a Gregory Zulu 30, and I use an Osprey Stratos 24 for day hikes at home. What I like about both is the U zipper access, so most of the pack opens to see what's inside and pack and both have lots of pockets. The Zulu has slightly larger hip belt packets but this may be more of a pack size thing since it's a bigger pack. They both come with rain covers and both can accept water bladders, but that does cut down on space in the pack. They're both a very comfortable on me fully packed.

What I like about the Zulu is the big stuff pocket on the front, it can take a poncho, sweater or large nalgene bottle, even when the pack is stuffed. The Stratos line has a zippered front pocket that can be difficult to access if the pack is stuffed. They both have tracking pole attachments but the Ospreys also have a quick access attachment, so you don't have to take your pack on or off to store or grab the poles. The Stratos has an upper mesh pocket accessed from the outside that can get in the way when you're reaching into the pack, especially if you have something in the water bladder packet, (I use mine for maps, sketch books, or ereaders)

The Zulu 30 holds all my gear for a summer Camino and is carry on compliant. If and when I do a colder weather Camino I might need a slightly larger pack.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm a 70 year old female - 5'3" and 160 lbs right now (I'm usually about 145 on Camino)
I carry an Arcteryx 30L BRIZE or a 28L Gregory Jade
Glad to see the 28L Jade listed. I am 70 years old, 5.2”- 106lbs going on her First Camino. I am worried the pack is too small. but yesterday I trained with pack at 7lbs (3.175k). Still a lot of room to add the rest of my gear. Hopefully when it’s fully packed it won’t go over 11lbs (4.99k). Beginning my Camino April 16th. Praying I have packed what is needed for the weather. Currently I am stressing over leggings or convertible pants. Also my shoes are Altras Olympus4, fit is great up until the heel which is a bit roomy. I am wondering if anyone has used heel pads with success. I’ve tried Hookas, Solomans , but none have fitted my wide toe box and my narrow heel. Recommendations welcome. Counting down till April - eek!!!

I’m tall with a large cup size. In my trying on of many backpacks the torso length and curve of the shoulder straps were the deciding factors. I have the Gregory Jade 33. Loved it. Small enough that you have to think through what you’re bringing but large enough that you don’t have to play Jenga to get all your stuff in your pack in the morning. Osprey’s stow and go system for walking poles is better, but the Gregory’s fit was superior. Fit should triumph every time.

Glad to see the 28L Jade listed. I am 70 years old, 5.2”- 106lbs going on her First Camino. I am worried the pack is too small. but yesterday I trained with pack at 7lbs (3.175k). Still a lot of room to add the rest of my gear. Hopefully when it’s fully packed it won’t go over 11lbs (4.99k). Beginning my Camino April 16th. Praying I have packed what is needed for the weather. Currently I am stressing over leggings or convertible pants. Also my shoes are Altras Olympus4, fit is great up until the heel which is a bit roomy. I am wondering if anyone has used heel pads with success. I’ve tried Hookas, Solomans , but none have fitted my wide toe box and my narrow heel. Recommendations welcome. Counting down till April - eek!!!
FYI there is a 33L Jade available as well.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

For example:

69 y/o, 5'10" 200 lbs male, I've done 2 Frances with a 36L Osprey, perfect for me.

I’m a 63yo, 5’7”, 168lb female who used a Dueter Aircontact Lite 35 + 10SL. They’re made for women’s bodies, have an adjustable frame for longer or shorter backs, and it was so comfy. I had it packed pretty full at about 25lbs / 10kg and loved it. My only complaint was that the 3L water bladder I used goes *inside* the back of the pack so to refill it you sort of have to unpack. But 3L of water was fine for most 15-20 mile days of walking for me, so I didn’t have to unpack… I saw lots of Dueter packs on the trail, as well as Ospreys, and the 35-36L size is perfect for the 5-6 weeks with no tent, etc. Also, I carried my pack the entire length of the Camino Frances—I never felt compelled to use a courier service since it was just so darn comfy!
Buen Camino!

M 64 6f 1in 230 lb
F 61 5f 6i 130 lb
We both used Osprey Talon 33 (different sizes) and were able to carry all of our belongings as well as our Black Diamond collapsible poles.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks so much! I was at REI today and tried my first 2 options on and now I’m curious about other’s experiences! I really appreciate you!
You can take them home from REI, leave the tags on, and try them during a walk around your neighborhood. I did this with 3. REI has a great return policy.

My only complaint was that the 3L water bladder I used goes *inside* the back of the pack so to refill it you sort of have to unpack. But 3L of water was fine for most 15-20 mile days of walking for me, so I didn’t have to unpack…

There are modification kits by Sawyer and others which are inexpensive and allow one to add the ability to refill the water reservoir without removing the water bladder. Heck, you do not even need to take the backpack off. It also allows a backpacking filter to be used if needing to refill from water sources which are suspect.

You will find a short demonstration video HERE. The video shows the Quick Disconnect being used with a backpacking water filter. However, for Camino I skip the water filter and attach the Quick Refill cap onto a collapsible bottle like this one HERE. With this, if I want to refill or do a bit of a top off:
1. I pull the collapsible bottle from my side pocket and unscrew the Quick Disconnect lid from the bottle
2. Fill the bottle and replace the Quick Disconnect lid.
3. Quick Disconnect the mouth piece from the feed tube and connect the water bottle to the feed tube.
4. Gently squeeze the water in the collapsible bottle into the feed tube, filling the water bladder.
5. Disconnect the bottle and reconnect the mouthpiece. Stow the water bottle

Normally, I do not completely fill my 2 liter water bladder. If I did wish to do so, It takes me well under a minute to do so following the steps above. If using a filter on the refill bottle, it would take a bit longer due to the decreased water flow due to the slight restriction to water flow through the water filter.

There are other brands of collapsible water bottles which I use as well, an include Sawyer and Osprey.

This is a post I created a while back and will repost in hopes it helps.

There is a specific methodology that is used to properly size and fit a backpack. I cover that topic HERE (click on the blue text)

When an experienced backpacker on this Forum says that a brand and model of a backpack like the Osprey Stratos or a Gossamer Gear Gorilla, or a zPacks Arc fits them well, that is a recommendation worth listening to. Should you then simply commit to purchasing that recommendation? Definitely no. Individual tastes and body types and anatomical irregularities means that, like an organ transplant, what one person finds comfortable and compatible may not work for someone else.

How should we make use of recommendations, then? The best thing to do is to consider knowledgeable recommendations for inclusion on a short list of candidates for testing as a personal match.

[This above also applies to footwear].

Do you need to go to a store in order to purchase a backpack that fits? No.

I am a firm believer that most people can do the steps that it takes to properly fit a backpack while at home, which opens up a whole world of backpack choices. You are not limited to the narrow selections at a single store.

When choosing a store for a backpack purchase (or footwear) you will have better luck at a specialty outdoor shop like REI, IF it is well managed to include providing proficient staff training with quality assurance assessments of a salespersons skill. It is also important that the salespersons in the store do not appear to be harried if the store is busy, so only shop at hours when the shopping wave is at low tide.

Over the years I have helped many folks remediate issues with their backpacks and footwear that have been purchased thru an REI, and other specialty stores. Because of this, I would recommend not - as the first course of action - outright rejecting a backpack because it doesn't seem to 'feel' right' as you are testing it out in the store.

Why?

First: For a person in normal health ( you do not have unique physical issues that create challenges to achieving comfort}, it can often take time for your body to get used to the 'feel' of wearing a backpack, period. Everything from your center of gravity to your core muscles are doing something new, and It is likely that even a properly fitted and adjusted fully loaded backpack will feel odd and out of place. This is especially true if you are new to wearing a regular backpack designed specifically for hiking, but also applies if it has been a while since backpacking or hiking.

Therefore when assessing the backpack in the store, do not be immediately put off because it feels strange; that may mean your body just needs a period of time to adapt to the feel of carrying a backpack as a new activity.

What you need to focus on is if the backpack is just outright uncomfortable to wear. The sales person should load the backpack with around 25 pounds/11.3 Kg. of weight. Walk around the store for at least 20 minutes. If there is discomfort caused by pressure points or digging into your body from a frame, shoulder harness, hipbelt, etc., that is a red flag.

On the other hand, if the backpack only feels like it is being just a tad nagging or niggling, it may indicate that your body needs time to get used to carrying any backpack. That process will take more time than from just wearing it around the store.

Make sure the return policy of the store allows you to return the backpack at least two weeks after purchase before you take a backpack home. REI and other outdoor shops have a terrific policy for returning gear and shoes even IF you wear it outdoors on backpacking trips.

If you make a purchase thru an online store like Amazon, most times the return policies are excellent if the return is initiated within 30 days. You need to check the return policy information for specifics to be certain. If the online merchant is REI, for example, no problem. For an Amazon purchase, it can depend on the item, and if the shipping originates from Amazon itself or a third-party vendor

You will want to wear the backpack as often and for a long as you can during your at-home activities. If returns are allowed even if worn outdoors, then you can test it on long outdoor walks..

During this phase of testing for compatibility, load the backpack with between 15 to 25 pounds/ 7 to 9 kg. During the next 3 to 7 days, if the backpack begins to fade into the background so that it is no longer demanding attention, that indicates that it is a good match, not just for the 'fit', but for the 'feel', too.

You want a backpack that feels like you are wearing it, not carrying it as an external burden that is just hanging off of your body. You do not want the backpack to be demanding attention to itself, it must allow your mind to focus on the things around you that YOU want to focus on.

Keep in mind that no backpack will make the weight of a heavy load 'disappear' as if it does not exist. What a backpack should successfully do is to eliminate the nagging irritant of constantly asking, 'are we there yet?'

Second: It can be difficult to accurately assess a back if a salesperson is not doing a good job with the fittings and adjustments as you are trying out backpacks.

Over the years I have been invited by various stores, including some REIs, to in-service trainings for their staff on backpack and footwear fittings. As part of the training, I always inform the management that I will be sending in a 'shopper' 5 to 10 days after their staff was trained. Once the 'shopper' leaves the store with the backpack (or shoes/boots), I will check all the parameters of the fit and adjustments. Most times, the backpack and shoes are a spot-on match to the shopper, but not always; and when the fitting hadn't been correct, oft times it was significantly incorrect. I provide the feedback to the store management for his assessment of how s/he wishes to follow up with their staff.

At an outdoor equipment store, including any REI, if the backpack you are trying feels 'off', the first thing to do is to ask if another sales staff can be invited over to double check the fit and adjustments with your original salesperson. Ask to have them both take another look at your initial measurements to make sure they were correctly measured. Have them re-do the procedures to fit and adjust the backpack.

It could be that the salesperson misread the tape measure OR did not correctly identify where to place the tape measure in relationship to the top and bottom of the spine.

Note: never allow a salesperson to only use a manufacturers' provided template to act as a fitting device; these will not always give a good measurement due to an individual's unique, anatomical variations - like scoliosis, or a deviation to the shoulder or pelvic girdles. Such anomalies can interfere with the proper positioning of the template. This is more likely to become an issue as one is past middle age.

Always insist on being measured with a measuring tape, and the preferable style of tape to use is a highly flexible fabric or paper tape similar to what a clothing fabricator or tailor would use. Also, tapes that are cheap may also be less than accurate, so keep that in mind, too.

Asking for additional assessment is NOT an insult to a sales person. Just tell the salesperson you are very interested in buying the backpack, but you want to completely rule out that the issues you are feeling about the backpack have nothing to do with how it fits. You simply want a second set of eyes to double check things and brainstorm a solution. Even an experienced sales person can be too complacent, distracted, or in a rush which may result in incorrectly 'seeing' the numbers, or incorrectly finding the proper locations on your body for positioning a hipbelt.

Your goal is to find a backpack that will become a great walking companion; it is also what the salesperson should be striving for. Do not worry about making the salesperson happy, worry about making your body happy. A happy body will help to make the camino pilgrimage a fond memory.

Additional Things To Ponder

Regardless of the backpack weight, your walking pace, or your daily fitness routines, etc., the key is to use common sense and reasonable expectations, follow any medical advice from you care provider, and avoid over exertions that can cause injury. Please consider the following:
  1. If you are new to distance walking and carrying a backpack, and you are wondering 'can I do this', it may be worthwhile to talk to your care provider for an honest assessment of your physical condition and listen to any concerns and suggestions that the provider may have. Please, consult with your physician.
  2. When testing the backpack at home, the load in the backpack should honestly reflect the amount of weight you are expecting to carry on a camino.
  3. If you discover that the weight of the backpack load is too heavy, then this is a good opportunity to evaluate how much stuff you plan to bring on a camino and whether a lighter version of those items can be substituted at a cost that doesn't break the bank.
  4. This Forum can help you to research how to lighten a backpack load by using the Forum Search Engine (at the top of the page in the blue menu bar, on the right side of the page). You can also start a thread and post a list of your backpack contents on the Forum. Members love to help, so do not be shy.
  5. Baggage transport is available. If the backpack is too heavy despite your best efforts, consider having a transport service carry some of your backpack inventory in a separate bag. You do not get extra Pilgrim Points and Gold Stars from being injured, or being miserable with a heavy backpack.
  6. When assessing the new backpack as part of a regular outdoor walking routine, you do not have to walk faster than your normal pace or walking speed, or walk extra-long distances.. It is far more important to spend time just wearing the backpack, even if what you are doing are normal household chores.

If you do not want pockets on a hip belt, they can be removed.
I have considered doing that on my 36L Osprey Sirrus. I am not thick waisted, but those puffy little pockets sometimes rub on my inner arms even though they are very small. Also hard to unzip while walking and of little use for anything more than a chapstick and a little rock to leave at Cruz de Ferro.
A good tip, Dave; I will consider cutting them off.

. I’ve tried Hookas, Solomans , but none have fitted my wide toe box and my narrow heel. Recommendations welcome. Counting down till April - eek!!!

Keep looking untill you find the wide toe box and narrow heel. You should find some suggestions in threads about shoes.
I find Merrell Moab 3 wide have the right combination for me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have considered doing that on my 36L Osprey Sirrus. I am not thick waisted, but those puffy little pockets sometimes rub on my inner arms even though they are very small. Also hard to unzip while walking and of little use for anything more than a chapstick and a little rock to leave at Cruz de Ferro.
A good tip, Dave; I will consider cutting them off.

If you can borrow one, a 'hot knife' will also work and seal loose fabric threads as well. Alternatively, use a cheap, small bladed knife and heat the tip of the blade. After using the scissors or razor blade to carefully detach the pocket, use the hot knife to seal the threads that might be loose.

If you find that there are rough places left from the pocket removal and heat sealing of the loose threads, you can cover it using Tenacious Tape or a fabric repair tape..

The way you have asked the question is one way of doing it but there is a better way, one that will find YOUR answer.

First, what is going in the pack and what features do you need? The needs of others may differ greatly from your own.

General rules are, carry as little as you can get away with and cover all your needs, not wants but needs. Most, like me in the beginning, went to a sports store, chatted with a sales person, maybe tried some weight in the pack. Seriously? I fell for this and bought an Osprey Kestrel 40L pack. Comfy, had some bells and a whistle or two, but the pack weighs more than 3 lb.

Now I did a lot of looking around, a lot. I found a company on a shoestring, Gobi Gear. They made the original Hobo Roll and then the Segsack. I bought both. But then they asked Customers for the features they wanted to see in a new pack, the lightest possible pack with as many good features as possible. I bought their 30L Free Spirit Pack, 8 oz. It cost around $50. Sadly, it seems Gobi Gear has punched the clock. Their website is not working and there is no stock. But hey, keep an eye out for a used one.

There are other lightweight packs out there but who wants to spend $300 or likely more on it?

Good luck!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Balance Trail Runners on an SL-2 Shoe Last have a narrow heel and wide, deep toe box.
I've worn them on over 20 Caminos.

For example:

I am a 70 year old female, 130lbs and I carried a 28 litre Gregory Jade. Thought the features worked really well for, example, two side pockets, one for water bottle and one for sandals. Loved the stretchy pocket on the outside back to stuff in my fleece and raincoat. I also wore a very small fanny pack but on the front that contained all my important docs, phone, money etc. When I slipped my backpack off my important stuff was still with me at all times. Also found the small belt pockets to be very useful. I would take it again. When packed it weighed in at about 6.5 kilos, including water.

Female, age 57, 168 cm, 60 kg.

I used an Osprey Eja 38 litre for the French Camino last year, and felt good enough to continue on to Finisterre and Muxia (over 1,000 km total).

I found the pack very good. It has 2 huge side pockets where I could carry snacks, a water bottle, sunscreen, etc. all within easy reach without taking the backpack off. It doesn't have hipbelt pockets. I first thought this was a downside, but I carried a bum bag, which held my phone, wallet, passport, etc. and this was in fact a much better solution, as each time I stopped at a bar, I could take the backpack off but always have the small valuables with me while going to the toilet, for example.
With the Eja, you can pick up (or put away) your walking poles anytime, also without taking the backpack off. This was a very useful feature for me.

Basically, once I put the backpack on in the morning, I didn't need to take it off at all while walking because everything I needed was within reach. I only took it off at rest stops.

The size was perfect to pack comfortably, and probably on the generous side: I had a sleeping bag 'just in case', which I didn't really need (I walked in summer). It was by far my bulkiest item and I would have had plenty of extra room without it.

The Eja also fits a water bladder. I had a 2-litre bladder, but unlike @curlylottie, I didn't unpack to fill it up. I always kept it in place, and used the separate water bottle to refill it. Going off-topic, I know, but the separate bottle was also good to bring to a table while I had the backpack off, and to keep in a freezer overnight.

Overall I was very happy with my pack and I would recommend it, provided it fits you well.

Hi AMV, I used the Gregory Jade 28L last fall on CF/San Salvador and loved it. Really comfortable. Was also worried it might be too small but it was perfect. Yes I did have to pack more carefully in the mornings to get things to fit just right, but that didn’t bother me. Total weight minus water was under 10 lbs. (I’m in my 60s, 5’6”, 63 kg; really narrow shoulders/short torso). Previously used an Osprey Kyle 36L but found it a little too big and even the women’s small was too loose in the shoulder straps. Try not to stress over pants/leggings! Wear what is most comfortable on your long hikes now. I wear convertible trousers because I’m more comfortable in them. Buen Camino! BTW, I followed @davebugg‘s advice on measurements etc and bought the Gregory online without trying it out first. It’s the perfect pack for me.

Hi AMV, I used the Gregory Jade 28L last fall on CF/San Salvador and loved it. Really comfortable. Was also worried it might be too small but it was perfect. Yes I did have to pack more carefully in the mornings to get things to fit just right, but that didn’t bother me. Total weight minus water was under 10 lbs. (I’m in my 60s, 5’6”, 63 kg; really narrow shoulders/short torso). Previously used an Osprey Kyle 36L but found it a little too big and even the women’s small was too loose in the shoulder straps. Try not to stress over pants/leggings! Wear what is most comfortable on your long hikes now. I wear convertible trousers because I’m more comfortable in them. Buen Camino! BTW, I followed @davebugg‘s advice on measurements etc and bought the Gregory online without trying it out first. It’s the perfect pack for me.
Thanks for the info. Trying not to overthink! Your info has put my fears to rest. 🙏🏼

The Eja also fits a water bladder. I had a 2-litre bladder, but unlike @curlylottie, I didn't unpack to fill it up. I always kept it in place, and used the separate water bottle to refill it. Going off-topic, I know, but the separate bottle was also good to bring to a table while I had the backpack off, and to keep in a freezer overnight.

The 1.5 litre water bladder I used had a large opening so I too could fill it while it was in my back - I think I only removed it twice for a good wash out. I carried an extra water bottle with which to fill the bladder. The extra water bottle was handy for a drink in the night - us oldies can get a dry mouth - and also if if I needed extra water in the day.

There are modification kits by Sawyer and others which are inexpensive and allow one to add the ability to refill the water reservoir without removing the water bladder. Heck, you do not even need to take the backpack off. It also allows a backpacking filter to be used if needing to refill from water sources which are suspect.

You will find a short demonstration video HERE. The video shows the Quick Disconnect being used with a backpacking water filter. However, for Camino I skip the water filter and attach the Quick Refill cap onto a collapsible bottle like this one HERE. With this, if I want to refill or do a bit of a top off:
1. I pull the collapsible bottle from my side pocket and unscrew the Quick Disconnect lid from the bottle
2. Fill the bottle and replace the Quick Disconnect lid.
3. Quick Disconnect the mouth piece from the feed tube and connect the water bottle to the feed tube.
4. Gently squeeze the water in the collapsible bottle into the feed tube, filling the water bladder.
5. Disconnect the bottle and reconnect the mouthpiece. Stow the water bottle

Normally, I do not completely fill my 2 liter water bladder. If I did wish to do so, It takes me well under a minute to do so following the steps above. If using a filter on the refill bottle, it would take a bit longer due to the decreased water flow due to the slight restriction to water flow through the water filter.

There are other brands of collapsible water bottles which I use as well, an include Sawyer and Osprey.
So good to know! Next Camino I’m doing this!

For example:

Hi!
I'm 34 yo Male.

I am taking 28-34l Mammut Ducan Spine.
This bad boy has Active spine technology.

It is the most comfortable backpack I have.
Even if you load it fully with some heavy stuff, you just dont feel it on your back.
You have complete freedom of movement.

Female, age 57, 168 cm, 60 kg.

I used an Osprey Eja 38 litre for the French Camino last year, and felt good enough to continue on to Finisterre and Muxia (over 1,000 km total).

I found the pack very good. It has 2 huge side pockets where I could carry snacks, a water bottle, sunscreen, etc. all within easy reach without taking the backpack off. It doesn't have hipbelt pockets. I first thought this was a downside, but I carried a bum bag, which held my phone, wallet, passport, etc. and this was in fact a much better solution, as each time I stopped at a bar, I could take the backpack off but always have the small valuables with me while going to the toilet, for example.
With the Eja, you can pick up (or put away) your walking poles anytime, also without taking the backpack off. This was a very useful feature for me.

Basically, once I put the backpack on in the morning, I didn't need to take it off at all while walking because everything I needed was within reach. I only took it off at rest stops.

The size was perfect to pack comfortably, and probably on the generous side: I had a sleeping bag 'just in case', which I didn't really need (I walked in summer). It was by far my bulkiest item and I would have had plenty of extra room without it.

Overall I was very happy with my pack and I would recommend it, provided it fits you well.
Could you share what type of Bum bag you have?
I currently have the Eja 58 (I know huge) but it is super light and I don't intend to fill it - just didn't want to purchase another bag as we will be using this bag for another trip. I will have my bag with me and not use a porter service, although the option will be there. I'm 5'3" and consider myself fit but this is my first Camino.

Could you share what type of Bum bag you have?
I currently have the Eja 58 (I know huge) but it is super light and I don't intend to fill it - just didn't want to purchase another bag as we will be using this bag for another trip. I will have my bag with me and not use a porter service, although the option will be there. I'm 5'3" and consider myself fit but this is my first Camino.
20230209_184212.jpgIt's just an ordinary old bum bag (see picture). As long as it can fit your essential valuables, any will do.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.