• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What backpack did you use?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Size and age obviously makes a big difference. I am 5.7" and weight about 150 lbs and 72 years old!

Yeah, I agree... no matter how many online reviews you read, there is no substitute for direct personal experience. Every single person & body is built different, and you ALWAYS have to try on a pack yourself before you truly know it's for you.

Yeah, I agree... no matter how many online reviews you read, there is no substitute for direct personal experience. Every single person & body is built different, and you ALWAYS have to try on a pack yourself before you truly know it's for you.
still made it in 37 days...i loved every minute ....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Size and age obviously makes a big difference. I am 5.7" and weight about 150 lbs and 72 years old!
Absolutely. It doesn't take much to understand this if one thinks about it. Someone around 70 kg carrying around 7 kg bare weight is going to require far less volume that someone around 105 kg and carrying maybe 10 kg bare. That is nearly 50% more, and one might expect that to be reflected in the size of the packs that might be needed to carry the different loads.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I own a Lowe Alpine 35L but after my recent Camino, I am looking for a change.
The Osprey Talon 33 really interests me.
Are there any Irish folks here who know of a store who stock it in Dublin / Ireland?
I'd rather check it out first than order it online and send it back if it does not suit.

Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi! :)I own a Golite Jam2 I got 5 years ago. I love it!
Not made anymore, but has little brothers ans sisters.
It's a light backpack (~1 lb 6), designed for a light backpacking hiking-style (goal=the lighter the better): very simple features, few and minimal straps, almost no back pad/frame. It's supposed to bear up to 30lb and can adapt to the volume, from 30 to 50L for size M.
I wouldn't advise it for heavy loads...
Jam2180_front-720093.jpg

full

I used the osprey 50 liter anti gravity....made getting my stuff easier since the pack was oversized for my load: felt like a feather and has a detachable tote on top to use as you stroll to dinner with all the important stuff.

I'm definitely an Osprey guy. Their packs just seem to fit me, and i love their "Almighty Guarantee". If youre looking for lightweight packs for the Camino. Osprey makes the Talon 33 & 44(Women's version called Tempest). The Talon & Tempest packs really hug your back and have an adjustable torso length. Osprey makes another light weight pack called the EXOS which has a mesh back panel that lifts the pack away from the back creating lots of airflow. Good for those with sweaty back syndrome. The Exos line comes in 38, 48 & 58 sizes but the Torso length isnt adjustable, so definitely try on first. They come in sm, med & lrg sizes. Lastly, Osprey makes a pack called the Stratos(Sirrus for women) that is heavier but super comfy that i like as well. They come in 34, 36 & 50L and are all carry on compatible. the Talon & Exos line are taller packs, but ive gotten them on as carry on as well. You can't go wrong with any of these packs. No matter what pack you choose, always make sure it fits you properly. Bien Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Another reason to spend money to save 500g? I figure I should lose the weight and save my pennies, but oh is this ever tempting. Then again, they haven't "pinked it" up! ;) I really need to have a Camino "garage equipment sale" and keep buying new stuff.

Please give me a "Call" if you decide to go ahead ;), I`ll be first in line for your Camino "garage Equipment sale"! :D To buy gear that someone allready put love in to must be good for my Camino! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For those interested...New Opsprey Talon/Tempest ;)
http://www.ospreyeurope.com/gb_en/talon-tempest

Will try the Talon 44 :)

I LOVE my Talon 44! I have the previous version. The new ones look the same, but I really like this update for one reason. Osprey finally changed the light color bottoms across the Talon line! This may seem minor, but it's huge. That was my one complaint of the older version. The light grayish fabric they used on the previous version got so dirty so quickly. It really was annoying. Everytime I put my Talon on the ground it'd get dirtier and dirtier. Even after washing the pack, it still looked dirty. It really aged the look of the pack prematurely. So good on Osprey for making this design change.

I use a Gossamer Gear Gorilla. Weighs about 740 grams with the internal frame and sit pad. Great backpack. 40+ liters

But, apart from the zero packs, they are all at least 45L - and that's too large for most of the year

And I have something like the zero pack but never use it - I want a few more features rather than just a single space and a padded strap
there's a 38

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all,
I've been having a hard time finding a backpack that I like. I've been a regular at the Denver REI trying all sorts of packs! I've bought a few, loaded them with 20-23lbs of rice/water and have walked about 100+ miles with each one. My problem is they seem to be limited to Osprey and Gregory in the 30-40liter range. Wondering if there are other stores that I should visit for a wider selection? Are there other brands out there I should consider? Anyone in Denver area got a store recommendation besides REI?

I've tried:
Osprey Sirrus 36- the SM/M is too big, the XS/S is too small
Osprey Temptest 40- when loaded feels really bad on the shoulders
Gregory J38- too tight in shoulder area
Deuter 32liter- hated it

Thanks all!
Osprey Lumina 60. Extremely light weight.

My wife and I just walked into Santiago 3 hours ago. We walked the Portuguese Litoral costal and Varient routes. We both carried our Zpack Nero backpacks. A dyneema waterproof material 38 liter frameless pack that weighs about 13 ounces. Base weight 6 lbs and max 12 pounds. They have been great and really waterproof.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I carried a 30L Arcteryx top loader for years.
Now I am carrying a 28L Jade.
Just bought an Arcteryx 32L Brize, but don't really like it. It's too big. Probably will resell it.

Just finished the Portuguese Camino with my 38 ltr Zpack Nero. Frameless, waterproof and weighs 12 oz. dry. Carried about 7 lbs base weight + water and snacks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.