• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

what backpack to use for a 5'8 women? I have no Rei store (or similar) nearby

Dutchwalk53

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2015 with son #1, CF 2016 alone, CF 2017 with son #2 and husband , CF Sept 2018 with daughter
The closest Rei is 6 hrs away . There are some outdoor equipment stores like bass pro nearby but they have a very limited selection. I was thinking about a Osprey talon 33 or a Osprey Tempest 40. I am a 5'8 women with an average frame and both those packs only come in medium (not large). Will that fit? I am thinking about ordering both online and just ship one back but wanted to have an opinion if these 2 packs are even good choices to start with. I know "the fit and feel" is obviously a personal choice.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, the Talon M/L or Tempest S/M will most likely fit - they are almost the same back length. Osprey got rid of the M/L for the Tempest and made an XS/S instead of the S/M. I am 5 foot 11, or 180 cms, tall and the Tempest 30 fits me fine. The hipbelt fins could be wider, but my pack weight is really low so it's okay. If you have broad shoulders and/or hips the Talon M/L might fit you better. Note though that the 44/40 litre versions have a metal stay in the side of the back which can feel uncomfortable for a curvy behind, shall we say, while the 33/30 litre ones have no hard frame.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Apparently the 35 litre Aura isn't available in the US and the 50 litre is huge, too big for most people on a June camino I'd say. Though I love the 35, it's a great pack both in form and function.

Osprey Exos size M will fit and is lightweighted, both the 58 l and the smaller one. My first Osprey backpack I tried on in the shop and was adviced to take size S, but the frame and the hipbelt was too narrow, so it is not only the length of the back that is smaller.
So I changed to a Osprey Exos 58, which I have used on several caminos.

Blackwolf Mountain Ash in 45L. Twin compartments. Built in rain cover. Adjustable back harness. My 12yo 5'2" uses it and I 5'9" have used it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, the Talon M/L or Tempest S/M will most likely fit - they are almost the same back length. Osprey got rid of the M/L for the Tempest and made an XS/S instead of the S/M. I am 5 foot 11, or 180 cms, tall and the Tempest 30 fits me fine. The hipbelt fins could be wider, but my pack weight is really low so it's okay. If you have broad shoulders and/or hips the Talon M/L might fit you better. Note though that the 44/40 litre versions have a metal stay in the side of the back which can feel uncomfortable for a curvy behind, shall we say, while the 33/30 litre ones have no hard frame.[/QUOTE

So it seems lots of good experiences with Osprey. I am indeed walking in June so don't think I want more then a 40 L or so. One thing that I am confused about...is the Talon 33 for women too or is it more a men's pack? and is there truly a huge difference? For the ladies...I am on my hips a size 12.....so will a s/m fit or should I be better of with a m/l for the hip straps? Thanks to all :)

Osprey Exos size M will fit and is lightweighted, both the 58 l and the smaller one. My first Osprey backpack I tried on in the shop and was adviced to take size S, but the frame and the hipbelt was too narrow, so it is not only the length of the back that is smaller.
just checked the exos 38 ...looks nice too. Knowing you have one....a size 12 hips would that be a m or L ? And it looks like that one has no walking poles holder? thanks for the suggestions :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Knowing you have one....a size 12 hips would that be a m or L ?
The S/M/L designation is usually the torso length. Go to the REI.com site and read about fitting a pack. It will have you measure your torso length (generally the bottom of the vertebrae to the bottom of the neck vertebrae), and select the size according to your measurement. Hip belts are pretty much expandable without limit, so your girth makes little difference! Larger packs usually have more capacity even in the same model.

For the Exos 38:

Volumes and Weights
US and International weight and volume specifications

Size cu. in. liter lbs/oz kg.
S 2197 36 2/3 1.01
M 2319 38 2/5 1.05
L 2441 40 2/6 1.09

Try to see a model of the pack. The number of usable pockets, whether you can get to the bottom without completely unpacking, the size of the water bladder pocket, etc. are important factors of convenience.

I was referring to the padded part of the hip belt, not the adjustable webbing. As such the M/L Talon, which is unisex really, might fit better on a woman with non-skinny hips and shoulders.

I was referring to the padded part of the hip belt, not the adjustable webbing. As such the M/L Talon, which is unisex really, might fit better on a woman with non-skinny hips and shoulders.
That would be me ha ha ....I'm not really big but do have broad shoulders etc :) Thank you

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Apparently the 35 litre Aura isn't available in the US and the 50 litre is huge, too big for most people on a June camino I'd say. Though I love the 35, it's a great pack both in form and function.
I didn't find the Aura 50 to be that large, and its weight was a minimal difference between it and the 35, infact I would chose it over the 35 because of that.
With that said I bought one and actually took it back for the Gregory Jade (Women's pack).
I did not know a lot about backpacks back then and can't sell one to anyone over the other...but can say mine has done me well.

I am about to purchase Exos packs for my three sons, but am going to look into the above mentioned pack that the forum member says his son uses.
There were a lot of Aura's on trail when I was on the Frances in 2013.

Funny story...I went to REI and bought all of my Camio stuff in one swoop in 2013...dropped so money that I didn't even realize that they did not charge me for my backpack!
My Osprey Aura ...REI check out person had put all of my items in the pack (using it as a shopping back) and didn't charge me for my pack.
I didn't realize it for two days when I went to check my receipt as I wondered, "hmmm...how much was that backpack?". It was not on there...
I of course called REI and then took it back, only to get the Gregory instead :)

I wonder now after feeling like I could be a better judge how I would compare the two.
I am on the shorter side I coudn't wear a guys pack, I tried.

I am noticing that the Gregory Jade on the web are different colors than mine.
Mine is a nice looking blue, and it appears some places have it for $111 (old version maybe). If so I would take a look at it.

The closest Rei is 6 hrs away . There are some outdoor equipment stores like bass pro nearby but they have a very limited selection. I was thinking about a Osprey talon 33 or a Osprey Tempest 40. I am a 5'8 women with an average frame and both those packs only come in medium (not large). Will that fit? I am thinking about ordering both online and just ship one back but wanted to have an opinion if these 2 packs are even good choices to start with. I know "the fit and feel" is obviously a personal choice.
You can go on line and order from REI at REI.com. I'm 5'9" and use the Osprey Talon 44 sm/md mans.

Happy Trails

Thanks everybody......It seems that I am in luck....I'm flying to NY next week where I will be able to stop in at a REI store.....so I will try several on and then order the correct one online to have it shipped to me. I will do the same with shoes/boots......still not sure if I will end up with shoes or boots for my June hike but at least I will be able to try some on.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm a 5'8 woman with broader shoulders and used the Deuter Act Lite 45 recently with very good comfort. Agree the torso length is more important than waist (I'm an 8) and the belt is adjustable. I really liked the style of the pack, the padding for shoulders and hips. Long story but I had an accident mid Camino involving spinal injuries and had to leave my gear behind. I plan to purchase that same pack again for the 2015 Caminos . Just something else to consider - there is no real substitute for trying on multiple packs . It's a good idea to fill the packs with weight resembling what you will bring before you lay a dime down. Have fun and good luck!

Oh - also, REI has the weight bags in the stores - similar to bean bags - so you can fill with those.

I am 6'1" and have a purple 2014 Sirrus 36 M that ALMOST fit, but was just a wee bit too short (but it was an awesome deal through Eastern Mountain Sports). If you try a similar pack on and like it, I would be happy to send it to you for the cost of shipping.

I also have a 2012 Osprey Aura 50 WL that I love, but I've been bitten by the ultralighting bug, so I'll probably be selling/giving that away, too. It was great for my first Camino, though.

Let me know, if you happen to be interested. And have fun trying stuff on!

1. The first step is determining your torso length in order to determine the backpack size. See this link from REI: http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpacks-torso-hip-size.html . Any of the backpack recommendations above will probably work just fine, but be sure to select the size based on the actual dimensions in the manufacturer's specifications -- not all manufacturers follow the same criteria in determining what the call S, SM, M, ML, or L.

2. Once you have selected a pack, then load it up with what you plan to carry or with other fillers to approximate the weight you'll be carrying, and then adjust the all straps as recommended in this link: http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpacks-adjusting-fit.html . Be sure to tighten the straps in the sequence recommended.

Whether or not you buy from REI, the above information applies to all packs.

3. REI has great return/exchange policy for members, so even if you live 6 hours away from the nearest store, you can order online, try it out for a few days on your training walks, and if you decide it doesn't fit properly of that it's simply not the pack your comfortable with, send it back for a refund or exchange. My wife and I both exchanged our packs and our boots after testing them on training walks with no questions asked. You must be an REI member to take advantage of this procedure, and it must be done within one year from the date of purchase.

Oh yeah, one other thing -- check that the hip belt has adequate adjustment range. As I lost weight on the Camino and kept adjusting my hip belt tighter and tighter, I ran out of slack and had to duct-tape an extra pair of socks to the inside of the belt to make up the difference.

Buen Camino!
Jim (no relation to REI than a happy customer and member)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Keep it Simple! Use whatever backpack you can find, and just keep adjusting the straps til it feels comfortable. The camino is a pilgrimage. Shopping and dropping vast sums on "the best" equipment, as fun and ingrained as it might be in our minds and hearts, is not an integral part of the camino experience. Any comfortable equipment will get you there!

It's true. :) And, as some of us discovered on our caminos, multi-day (or week) backpacking can become a wonderful hobby.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I recommend you try Adventure Sport stores (www.adventuresport.com ) or your local Decathlon (www.decathlon.nl).

The former sells many brands, including Osprey. The latter has a wide selection, including some foreign brands. However the Quechua brand (Deacthlon's "house" brand) offers very good value for money across their product range.

I hope this helps.

Picking the right pack is SUCH and important decision that I would recommend trying several, even if it means the inconvenience of having to return several. I highly recommend Deuter packs that are specifically made for women (with the SL designation). Make sure you get one that allows you to custom fit the torso length (not all Deuter packs have this feature and it's critical, in my opinion). You can get a perfect fit with these packs and you won't have to settle for a standard size. My daughter (who is 5'8") and I (5'7") love our "Deuter Futura Vario 45+10 SL" packs we've taken on the camino. We forgot we were carrying them, after a few days. REI and others sell this pack on their website. Deuter has a video explaining how to adjust it. Best of luck!!

Definitely look at the Deuter Act Lite 45
http://www.rei.com/product/810844/deuter-act-lite-45-10-sl-pack-womens

Super comfortable, women-specific, and adjustable torso.
I love this pack.
Even though this pack is designed for narrower shoulders (womans) I thought it perfect for a woman with slightly broader shoulders (known as swimmers shoulders;-)). If the shoulders are not right, I get the neck strain so I think that must be due to the overall adjustability, padding, etc.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Gregory 38 women's pack worked well for me ! It's light and very adaptable. Buen Camino.

Osprey Exos-Just checked this out and I am very impressed with how Osprey cut the weight - I had seen this before and was intending on getting it but I just looked at the specs again and compared them to other packs and no doubt this is a very light "framed" pack. If you look closely they have shaved some weight off this pack by reducing the size of the padding of the belt and shoulder straps ect. I am going to go try one on and see what it feels like. ProLite has them on sale apparently.

http://www.prolitegear.com/site/osprey-exos-48.html

Dutchwalk53:

Naples outfitters (Naples) and Environeers in Sarasota both carry Osprey backpacks. It is actually better to go to a store and try on and wear a backpack. Another thing to consider when buying pack is the rain cover. Several Osprey packs have one built in. Of course if you are using a poncho this feature does not matter.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Osprey Exos-Just checked this out and I am very impressed with how Osprey cut the weight - I had seen this before and was intending on getting it but I just looked at the specs again and compared them to other packs and no doubt this is a very light "framed" pack. If you look closely they have shaved some weight off this pack by reducing the size of the padding of the belt and shoulder straps ect. I am going to go try one on and see what it feels like. ProLite has them on sale apparently.

http://www.prolitegear.com/site/osprey-exos-48.html
There is another post in the forum under the equipment section: An indepth review of the Osprey Exos 48. read there that there is now better padding on the shoulderstraps. But the two zipped outside pockets have been dropped.

Alas, Deuters don't work for me since my shoulders are very broad. I know several women backpackers who love them, though.

Hi, the Talon M/L or Tempest S/M will most likely fit - they are almost the same back length. Osprey got rid of the M/L for the Tempest and made an XS/S instead of the S/M. I am 5 foot 11, or 180 cms, tall and the Tempest 30 fits me fine. The hipbelt fins could be wider, but my pack weight is really low so it's okay. If you have broad shoulders and/or hips the Talon M/L might fit you better. Note though that the 44/40 litre versions have a metal stay in the side of the back which can feel uncomfortable for a curvy behind, shall we say, while the 33/30 litre ones have no hard frame.
I absolutely love my Zpack (1.25 lbs with all the accessories) You measure yourself and order it from Zpack in Florida. Shipping is free. If it doesn't fit right, send it back and they do it again.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have an Arc Blast as well. Isn't it splendid? Pricey, but if you backpacking often, they are oh, so worth it!

Thanks all.....I actually went to The Tampa bay Outfitters yesterday and they measured me.....I am at the very high end of a size M and low of size L for the Osprey backpacks.....So I'm leaning towards a M/L Osprey ...maybe a kestrel 38 or talon 44 size ....I think I will order both (in 2 different sizes ) and follow the you tube instruction video from Osprey and load it and walk with both a bit and just see which one feels best.

I also just bought my first pair of hiking shoes (Keen Marshall's) to train in .....decided against boots for now because I will train in Florida. I loved Keen due to toe space.( i had toe surgery so need the extra space) ....I may switch to the Targhee 8 weeks or so before leaving if the Marshall is not holding up enough after 4 months of training.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you have the time, I would still check out the Zpack online. It is fantastic.

See if any of the stores near you will do a fitting. I'm 5'8" too and yet my actual measured size for my packs is small and when available...believe it or not extra small! It has to do with the length to your waist as well as the size of your ribcage. I happen to be fairly small boned on the upper part of my body.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh...Dutchwalk53...helps if I read the whole thread!! Glad you got fitted!! and hope you love the Keens as much as I have. Although my Targhees are toast after two Caminos and training for them. Now I have to decide what to use for the next go a round!

Oh...Dutchwalk53...helps if I read the whole thread!! Glad you got fitted!! and hope you love the Keens as much as I have. Although my Targhees are toast after two Caminos and training for them. Now I have to decide what to use for the next go a round!
I am wondering how the Marshalls will hold up.....they look less sturdy then the Targhee but they just felt VERY comfortable. I hope that in the end shoes instead of boots will work for me in June :)

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.