• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What Barbara said to the Dirty Old Man

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
We’d met originally in St Jean at L’Auberge du Pelerin. http://tinyurl.com/plmrssd
A couple of days later we met again in Roncesvalles.
It was in the evening, after pilgrims dinner.
Barbara said she was sleeping in a container!
This I had to see. Dim murky figures were coming and going as she led me on a stumble thru the dark, past those tall stone walls, alongside hedgerows and then thru a farm gate.
Here, isolated in the complete blackness, was a little village of containers, each spilling it’s bright yellow light a short way out into the dark night.
Each container held several bunks. Presumably this was the overflow from the old albergue, which was the overflow from the new albergue.
Roncesvalles was chocker tonight.
“How cool is that,” I said to Barbara, “I’d like to sleep a night in a container.”
We met again for brekky the next morning.
“Would you like a walking companion?” she asked.
“That would be champion,” I replied. As a newbie I hoped to gain some wisdom from this long distance hiker. She had walked from her home in Munich after all.
After obligatory photos at the ‘Santiago 790k’ sign we set off along the Way.
An hour or so later Barbara was off to the side gathering blackberries.
Two middle aged lady pilgrims approached along the path.
“Buen Camino, Good morning!” I called cheerfully as they approached.
I like to use that specific greeting. It delivers the bright pilgrim greeting and lets others know what language you use.
“Buen Camino,” they solemnly replied as they walked past.
Ok, not happy type pilgrims then. Whatever. It takes all kinds.
They walked on. Then followed a rapid fire burst of German from one to the other followed by an equally fast burst in response.
Barbara carefully exited the blackberry bushes and stood silently with her hands full, watching them as they walked up the trail.
I felt strangely uncomfortable.
“Translation please,” I asked, rather abruptly.
“Old man lusting after young woman,” she replied, equally abruptly.
The shock hit me in the stomach, like a cramp. The pain surprised me.
Barbara stood looking at me while the inference angered then embarrassed me.
Then I got embarrassed about being embarrassed.
I turned aside. I couldn't even look at Barbara.
“Hey, Gerard,“ she said softly, “don’t worry about it…You’re a good guy…are you ok?”
“I guess so…but not really,” I replied. “There’s a lot of stupid people in this world. I just got insulted by a couple of them. I‘ll get over it.”
She smiled, held out the blackberries, and gave me the time.
The time to take a few deep breaths, to scoff a few blackberries, to suck on my water bottle, to calm down to the point where I could just about smile and look her in the eye again.
“All right cobber,” I said with false cheerfulness, “let’s hit the road!”
We hoisted our packs and on we wandered.

It was then I remembered my manners.
“I’m sorry Barbara,“ I said, “what about you? Obviously they insulted you also. Are you ok?”
“Me?” she queried, “Insulted? They called me a young woman. I’m 42.
That’s not a insult, that’s a compliment!”

Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
And exactly how old are you Gerard........just so that we can get the complete picture :);)

Sláinte Mo Chara

And exactly how old are you Gerard........just so that we can get the complete picture :);)

Sláinte Mo Chara
Well now, there’s an interesting question.
I guess one needs to be of a particular age in relation to the female concerned in order to be rightfully accused of such behaviour. While not necessarily being an offence, it certainly gives offence, but to onlookers, not, as in my case (or most cases?), to the female involved.

Age certainly qualifies me for one of the requirements to be rightfully accused.
I guess intent is the other. Intent however is inferred and supplied without proof by the accuser.
As for me, I intend to celebrate my 70th, in Santiago next year in the company of a small family party after completing the CF again.
One of these will be my niece who is approximately Barbara’s age.
I wonder how I will react if a similar situation occurs, unlikely as it is?

Regds
Gerard

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
As for me, I intend to celebrate my 70th, in Santiago next year in the company of a small family party after completing the CF again.
Gerard
Gerard - hello young man! It always amazes me how mature men get called "dirty" and "old" just because they still like looking at girls. If a man in his 20's admired a pretty girl, he's never called a "dirty young man" - which is so unfair!
I cannot imagine NOT admiring a pretty girl [and "girl" can be from 18 to 80]. When the sparkle in my eye stops, it'll be time to bury me! :)
Like you, I'm celebrating my birthday on the Camino Ingles next year .... my 75th ....
Buen camino!

In times past it was said that the ideal age for a female companion for an Edwardian gentleman was half his age plus four years. By my reckoning Barbara's ideal man would be 76. That makes you seven years too young for her and the Germans are wrong :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We’d met originally in St Jean at l’Auberge du Pelerin. http://tinyurl.com/plmrssd
A couple of days later we met again in Roncesvalles.
It was in the evening, after pilgrims dinner.
Barbara said she was sleeping in a container!
This I had to see. Dim murky figures were coming and going as she led me on a stumble thru the dark, past those tall stone walls, alongside hedgerows and then thru a farm gate.
Here, isolated in the complete blackness, was a little village of containers, each spilling it’s bright yellow light a short way out into the dark night.
Each container held several bunks. Presumably this was the overflow from the old albergue, which was the overflow from the new albergue.
Roncesvalles was chocker tonight.
“How cool is that,” I said to Barbara, “I’d like to sleep a night in a container.”
We met again for brekky the next morning.
“Would you like a walking companion?” she asked.
“That would be champion,” I replied. As a newbie I hoped to gain some wisdom from this long distance hiker. She had walked from her home in Munich after all.
After obligatory photos at the ‘Santiago 790k’ sign we set off along the Way.
An hour or so later Barbara was off to the side gathering blackberries.
Two middle aged lady pilgrims approached along the path.
“Buen Camino, Good morning!” I called cheerfully as they approached.
I like to use that specific greeting. It delivers the bright pilgrim greeting and lets others know what language you use.
“Buen Camino,” they solemnly replied as they walked past.
Ok, not happy type pilgrims then. Whatever. It takes all kinds.
They walked on. Then followed a rapid fire burst of German from one to the other followed by an equally fast burst in response.
Barbara carefully exited the blackberry bushes and stood silently with her hands full, watching them as they walked up the trail.
I felt strangely uncomfortable.
“Translation please,” I asked, rather abruptly.
“Old man lusting after young woman,” she replied, equally abruptly.
The shock hit me in the stomach, like a cramp. The pain surprised me.
Barbara stood looking at me while the inference embarrassed then angered me.
Then I got embarrassed about being embarrassed.
I turned aside. I couldn't even look at Barbara.
“Hey, Gerard,“ she said softly, “don’t worry about it…You’re a good guy…are you ok?”
“I guess so…but not really,” I replied. “There’s a lot of stupid people in this world. I just got insulted by a couple of them. I‘ll get over it.”
She smiled and held out the blackberries, and gave me the time.
The time to take a few deep breaths, to scoff a few blackberries, to suck on my water bottle, to calm down to the point where I could just about smile and look her in the eye again.
“All right cobber,” I said with false cheerfulness, “let’s hit the road!”
We hoisted our packs and on we wandered.

It was then I remembered my manners.
“I’m sorry Barbara,“ I said, “what about you? Obviously they insulted you also. Are you ok?”
“Me?” she queried, “They called me a young woman. I’m 42.
That’s not a insult, that’s a compliment!”

Regds
Gerard
I get that all the time. I've been married for more than 40 years to a woman who is just 7 months younger, but looks 17 years younger. :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Great stuff Gerard.... and so pleased to hear you are heading back to Santiago next year. Have a super walk and a fab birthday.

Sláinte Mo Chara

See it depends on your point of view.

You could take it to mean they thought you were too old.

Or you could take it to mean they thought you could still attract a younger girl.

Just consider it a compliment and move on :p

My wife calls me a dirty old man just about everyday . She's 12 yrs younger than me so I'm clearly in the D.O.M. Zone ( 68 soon) .
Gerard .. that writing of yours sits with me nicely , keep writing .

Someone on the forum posed this question " If you didn't know how old you were , how old would you think you are? "

A couple years back I would have said I'm probably older than I am . Not anymore ,, I 20 yrs younger now .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am currently being often embarrassed by friends saying that I am looking younger since my camino. As I met a special person there who has changed my life maybe it is to do with her? They say that you are only as old as the woman in your life so there go another 15 years! Perhaps after meeting a few more I might have to prove my age when buying a beer!

Thanks gerald.

All of a sudden i have realised that i am not so old after all.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back