• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What blister prevention techniques did you use?

What were your approaches to blister prevention on your most recent camino?

• Liner socks/dual layer/multiple layer socks

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • Dry powder (eg a talc based powder or an anti-fungal foot powder)

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Petroleum based lubricant (eg vaseline, Vicks, Glide, etc)

Votes: 34 58.6%
  • Animal based lubricant (eg lanolin)

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Taping or strapping blister prone areas

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • Other methods of physically seperating toes (eg with hikers wool or a five toe sock)

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Other (please post a description)

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Would you stick with this approach on your next pilgrimage? (

Votes: 38 65.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Past: a few
Last: Sanabres
Next: St Olav's Way
I am interested in what blister prevention techniques are most commonly used by those who have undertaken a Camino, and whether or not you would take the same approach in the future.

I would appreciate responses only from those members who have done the camino or a similar non-competitive multi-day walk (five or more days would be my preference here).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
i use the white medical zinc-oxide tape and just put it on at the first sign of rubbing....normally does the trick

I used to use Compeed. But I have found out that they only keep up the problem. If I feel a hotspot, I can use Compeed as protection, but not as a solution: After a Spanish hospital visit & doctor advice, I now use Iodine and pads taped on the problem area. It is better, and heals quickly.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used to use Compeed. But I have found out that they only keep up the problem. If I feel a hotspot, I can use Compeed as protection, but not as a solution: After a Spanish hospital visit & doctor advice, I now use Iodine and pads taped on the problem area. It is better, and heals quickly.
Thanks Alex. I am more interested in what approaches people have taken to prevention in the first place. The iodine, pad and tape sounds interesting as a treatment. I carry the tape and iodine cream already in my first aid kit. I will look out for some gauze pads when I next visit a pharmacy.

Indeed, Doug. Do that. The point of using Iodine and pads is that your blister is disinfected, gets air, dries out, and heals, while Compeed just closes the problem in, in a moist area, making it going from bad to worse. It (Iodine) works much better than I had anticipated, actually. As for prevention, as I said, I can put on a Compeed patch to a sore area. But of course; the best prevention is worn-in shoes, socks with double layers on toes/heels, and airing one's feet at coffee/beer breaks. I have personally found that beer breaks work better than coffee breaks...;)

Doug, I use SILIC 15 cream which my brother in Australia supplies, when I run out I use "Gloves in a Bottle" which is a similar product that I can get at home.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked Camino Frances 5 years ago, now going to start Via de la Plata 17th of March and here is the technique I used and going to use again:
Had few pairs synthetic high quality socks. While walking I would sit down every few hours to take shoes off and either let socks to completely dry out or take another pair. Now there's a need of preferably ice-cold water to put feet into for as long as you can handle. As I walked the most popular way, there was no problem having cold water anywhere really, sometimes I would just step into a spring or a river to chill feet down for a couple of minutes, few times it happened I still had to go for more than 10km, feet were hot, wet and tired and I had little water left to drink. Instead of drinking I took a plastic bag, poured water in and then feet in, just to chill them a bit, clean, and let completely dry out. The word "completely" is essential here. Oh and if the only water you've got is warm one, just clean the feet and let them dry.
So that's basically it. In the beginning I was probably stopping way too often, but in just a week I started feeling my feet very well, so that would usually be 2 decent 30min-1h30min stops a day to rest feet, body, eat, and anything else.
Now once you start feeling even some rubbing, take shoes off, chill, clean, wait, then tape the rubbing place, wrap bandage around your foot if you feel that plaster might go off, and should be fine until the end of the day, then carefully observing the place which felt rubbing in the morning and either apply plaster for another day, possibly making one or few additional stops to chill the feet.
So in general what matters the most is dry and cool feet (naturally assuming that shoes isn't the greatest trouble maker here). Following these simple guidelines, passed to me from some experienced travelers, I didn't have a single blister all the way from St Jean Pied de Port to Fisterra. And yes, I had blisters while preparing for CF with the same shoes, so I'm convinced the technique did miracles :)

Hope that helps!

Doug I used injinji liner socks with woolen sock on top. No blisters. 1500km.
My shoes wore out and I have not been able to replace them with such a wide-fitting one so I have had to ditch wearing two pairs of socks as my toes go numb when I try to after about 5km. That would still be my method of preference, but is currently not possible. Right now I am training for a 100km-in-30 hours event and on the last three 50+km days I have had trouble with one small blister. As soon as I felt the hot spot I covered it with hypo-allergenic medical paper tape. This prevented any further blister development and I still had 20km to walk that day, Since then I have taped the spot before walking even when there was no sign of the blister at the beginning of the walk. Seems to be working.

What is your special interest in this?

I soak my feet several times a day, in a string tea solution. That toughens up your feet ( ballerina's tip)!
I also cover some of my toes that I know can play up, with tubes ( solid gel inside and cloth webbing on the outside). You buy it in the pharmacy and cut it to size. You can get about 5 pieces out of one tube ( there are different widths).
In other words, I use the prevention method. After my first Camino, where I ended up with a load of blisters, I don't wait for that first hot spot to appear!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
aside from liner/merino wool socks combo, body-glide applied on dry feet and common sense - I pampered feet before and during camino with daily massages (used an ayurvedic herbal oil, but i'd suppose any quality oil or balm would do) and also rested legs/feet up the wall A LOT :)
very relaxing ....
no blister, never used a band-aid/tape.

I too would generously slather Vaseline on my feet, then I would put on a sock liner and then my wool socks. I got one blister on day 32 because I ran out of Vaseline. I will use this method again.

Untill now I've been very lucky regarding blisters, didn't have any in all those years. I guess I'm very lucky with my salomon shoes.
Missed that option so I put 'others'. Because of this thread it might look like everyone has to use some kind of prevention.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am interested in what blister prevention techniques are most commonly used by those who have undertaken a Camino, and whether or not you would take the same approach in the future.

I would appreciate responses only from those members who have done the camino or a similar non-competitive multi-day walk (five or more days would be my preference here).
I walked the Frances in May 2014 and did not get a single blister. I walked Kokoda trail in 2008 and also, no blisters. The method I used was vaselined my feet morning and at night alter my shower. On Camino I wore anklet stockings under my regular gym sox and joggers. As soon as I felt any discomfort at all I would stop remove my shoes and sox turn them inside out give them a good rub to remove any bumps or lumps. I think well broken in shoes and listening to your feet is the answer, though everyone's feet are differnt Stop when they say so.

I carry moleskin with me, and apply some if I start to feel a hotspot developing. Jill

Injinji toesocks, the thinnest socks in combination with sportstape on known trouble areas.
Its a special tape, because i always have a bad skin reaction to the glue used on normal sportstape, even the so called anti allergy tapes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What is your special interest in this?
I am interested in
  • testing the proposition that liner socks are not the most prevalent method for reducing/eliminating blisters,
  • whether pilgrims who have walked the camino, or other walkers with long distance, multi-day walking experience, are satisfied with the treatments they used.
At the time I am writing this, there are 29 responses, probably still too few to draw firm conclusions. Petroleum based lubricants have established themselves as being the most prevalent single method of prevention, but are matched by a combination of the two physical separation techniques - taping and the use of tubes, hikers wool and toe socks. Liner socks and similar multi-layer approaches are third, with a clear majority of respondents using these. Foot powders are used by a relatively small number of the respondents.

There appears to be a significant minority of respondents who are prepared to contemplate trying a different approach. The question doesn't test dissatisfaction with the current treatment, although that could be a factor for those seeking to make a change. The other factor that would need to be considered is that the group of respondents are more open to testing new approaches.

I have used two layers of socks apart from my 1st Camino, a thin synthetic inner layer and mixed wool outer which usually ideally has just less than 30% merino wool content any more than 30 and the socks seem to be be slightly slidy and capable of bunching in areas. I used petroleum jelly's on first half of my second camino but realised that my sock combo and choice of insoles would be enough to avoid blisters.

I have had blisters on my 1st Camino, which was down to me using a single pair of woollen socks, no foot lubricant and the mids own pair of insoles. Avoided them on the next 4. The last one I had them quite bad on identical spots on both feet, I'm quite sure it was the new insoles I had taken with me, had my doubts about them and did very little practise in them.

Triple socks (liner, light middle pair and cushion-sole outer) with powder at night. Never needed tape etc as no blisters although Dermomedfix is carried (strip) in case of hotspots. I only experienced a hot spot once and that was an ill fitting sock since replaced. Boots have their own insoles which are fine.
I assume that the final question is a 'Yes', although it is missing from the question, so have voted accordingly.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I assume that the final question is a 'Yes', although it is missing from the question, so have voted accordingly.
That is correct. When I went in to fix that up, I think someone had already responded, locking the question text. I couldn't then find a fix. so it is as I entered it - incomplete!

I walked the Camino over a three year period. Year one, no prevention, well-worn hiking boots and smart wool socks. Result? Unbelievably bad blisters resulting in loss of multiple toenails. Year two, wider boots, smart wool socks. Result? Fewer blisters, but blisters nonetheless. Year three, petroleum-based product and non-wool socks (I finally figured out that wool made my feet sweat more). Result? NO blisters. I'm definitely sticking with the petroleum-based prevention.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hello Doug,
I tried to post earlier from my iphone and the text disappeared...so here I am again. I use moleskin, either Doctor Sholes or a no-name brand from my pharmacy. I know my trouble spots and wrap those toes and my heals from day 1. I buy the large sheets and cut it to size as needed. This past autumn I managed the entire Camino with 1 blister which appearedd because I was careless and left a ridge on the moleskin.

On my first Camino I was introduced to a potion of Olive oil and Rosemary (Romarin?). Two peregrinas from Barcelona had concocted it and given me an adequate amount to finish the Camino. (I got it in San Juan D'Ortega). It didn't stop blisters but it sure soothed my aching feet. Perhaps it was just the massaging during application but there was a noticable improvement.

Nice topic. It affects every pilgrim I have met more or less.

Cheers
Jim

My vote went for "Taping or strapping blister prone areas"
Though - this is me at the point of contact with pilgrims and not to do with pilgrims before I meet them! Anything to reduce friction would have my vote.

I have given up on Duck tape (Gaffer tape) now, as, although it makes the surface slidey, almost friction free, it will roll down at the edges and stick to socks!

I now help others by padding pre-blister hot/pressure areas, either with a cover taped at the edges or, if between toes, padding - as well as checking inside the footwear for possible rough spots and, if problems are down the front of the foot, re-organising the laces to open up the front area.

Compeed is problematical - I find that it really is a domestic product. Get a blister/pre-blister at home and whack one on and all is well - but out on the Camino, stomping along day after day after day .. they don't always do what one expects them to do unless the blister is in a neat enough place for the pad to work, sealing all the way round the edges. Also, unless the area is utterly clean before sticking the compeed down one can end up creating a petrie dish of growing microbes.
So I now antiseptic, drain, press flat, antiseptic again, with a cream, and then cover with a padded cover and tape all round, giving the pilgrim a 'kit' to replace the cover a couple of times.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that I also do rub my feet in Vaseline before putting on my ( single) pair of socks. I have never tried the two sock method.
However, yes, I'm very satisfied with my procedure and will continue as I previously posted - plus the Vaseline!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It really depends on the time of year I walk. Hirschtalg (deer tallow) or any cream that creates an extra layer on my skin (even waterproof sunscreen works fine) and one sock (summer) or two socks (cooler seasons) plus taping hot spots as soon as the make themselves noticeable. You really need to learn to listen to your body and respond the way that works best for YOUR body. Buen Camino! SY

Thank you to all those who completed the survey and a special thanks to all those who have left a contribution so far. I have set the survey to close in three days, just in case there are any latecomers who want to contribute.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used liner socks and moleskin on some areas as a preventative measure. Didn't really work as I got blisters on other parts of my feet. I didn't feel any hotspots so by the time I noticed it was usually too late. My friend put vaseline on her feet and never had a problem.

Another vote for Injinji inners... i have only just started using them about a month back on practice walks and so far I am loving them.

€83,-
As a veteran of 4 caminos (2 VdlP), I know what works for MY feet. Keep it simple.
I use Icebreaker merino wool socks (only 1 pair) and every morning I rub a little Pawpaw lotion onto my feet (available from NZ and Aus, not sure if you can get in the UK). It has the consistency of vaseline but is antiseptic also. It can be used on bites, cuts, scratches and as a lip balm.
Easy peasy.
I also carry a little bag of natural sheeps wool (straight off the sheep, unwashed) and if I get a hot spot I place a small wad over the spot prior to putting on my socks. Works a charm.
Cheers, Grace

... I also carry a little bag of natural sheeps wool (straight off the sheep, unwashed) ...

I just had this vision of you sneaking up to an unsuspecting sheep and ripping a handful of wool out of its coat :confused: SY

Hikers wool for me.
I knew after my first Camino that I get blisters under my little toe and around my heel. Hikers wool prevents these from occuring.

Hikers wool is super light...easy to use and no messy tapes etc.

Great post Doug!!!
I just heard about hikers wool and have ordered some. A friend who has hiked the Camino a few times used to get bad blisters but said since she started using hikers wool she hasn't had a problem. Hope it works well for me too!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hola Doug, we have been on the Camino several times over the past nine years. I find lighter socks suit me, in recent times I wear the 1,000 mile sock which has an inner lining. In 2013 we walked for four weeks and for this trip, on the recommendation from my fellow county pilgrim Wayfarer, we used Gloves In A Bottle. No blisters, no problems with our feet. Going back again end of May, went to Boots Chemist last Friday to get more Gloves In A Bottle but was out of stock and will not be restocked in Ireland. Ordered supply from Amazon.co.uk on Monday, delivery is expected 17th March ( St Patrick’s Day). Looking forward to another blister free Camino.
Buen Camino.:)
Slán.
Des

I'm an active member of 2 hiking groups and usually use just a synthetic liner and wool oversock. Not particularly prone to blisters but I am lately fond of Injini liners and Darn Tough with Vaseline only applied at night, not during the day. My feet don't really sweat so I have no need to air them. I think staying hydrated makes a big difference, though. And give gaiters a lot of credit although if there is much rain I will also put plastic under my laces. For those that love wool, look what I was gifted for Christmas (but yet to use!) Australian wool boot insoles you cut down - from Cloud Nine. They look so luxurious:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
My usually super sweaty feet experienced zero blisters over 40 days starting in October 2014. St. Jean to Finisterre. I wore extremely breathable New Balance Minimus shoes w/ Darn Tough merino socks at first. In Burgos onward I wore Xero shoes almost exclusively, which are a scraps of rubber a few mm thick held to the sole of my foot w/ string. Attached a photo of my feet in them in Cambodia.
16619216366_5c3f0a0447_z.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
First camino I wore thin merino liner socks and smartwool outers. I got blisters. About halfway through I changed to the smartwool only and got no more blisters, but by then my feet had probably toughened up and my boots were extremely comfortable, so who knows?

Second camino (new boots) just smartwool socks. I got a couple of blisters which I think we're due to poorly fitting replacement insoles.

Third camino, to commence next month (new boots again - I must be heavy footed!) I will stick with just the smartwool, but will take a pair of liners as spares.

I tend to plaster my feet with cream after my shower and perhaps at bedtime, but not in the morning, because if I need to apply tape during the day, it won't stick to greasy feet.

Having taken note of all replies to this thread I have ordered some 'hikerswool'. There is a european supplier based in Germany who is most charming and helpful - they are even sending me a little extra so that I can share it around on the camino. How's that for service? http://www.hikerswool.de

I have also ordered some pawpaw ointment, and was tempted by 'gloves in a bottle' but just managed to control myself in time. Although having read the reviews on Amazon I may well order some for my daughter to try on my grandson's excema.

I also take a roll of lightweight tape purchased from decathlon and a pack of compeed that will only be used as a very last resort when all else has been tried and failed!

This will be a very useful thread for first timers and experienced pilgrims alike. Thanks @dougfitz!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
... I tend to plaster my feet with cream after my shower and perhaps at bedtime, but not in the morning, because if I need to apply tape during the day, it won't stick to greasy feet...

First tape, then apply cream to rest of feet - problem solved. Buen Camino! SY

Bizarrely, I have just read on a different forum the advice to apply Vicks VapoRub on feet every day to prevent blisters. For those who don't know, this is a product designed to be rubbed on the chest to help ease congestion. Anyone else heard of this, or is someone having a joke?

Last edited:
Bizarrely, I have just read on a different forum the advice to apply Vicks VapoRub on feet every day to prevent blisters. For those who don't know, this is a product designed to be rubbed on the chest to help ease congestion. Anyone else heard of this, or is someone having s joke?
I have heard this before but never tried it, it is also supposed to be a natural cure for toe nail fungus.

€83,-
Oh Annie!!!

I am so glad you are trying it.
I often think people think I am nuts going on about it. But it is amazing stuff.

Thanks for this information about hikers wool. I just ordered mine and some extra to share.

Buen Camino!

Bizarrely, I have just read on a different forum the advice to apply Vicks VapoRub on feet every day to prevent blisters. For those who don't know, this is a product designed to be rubbed on the chest to help ease congestion. Anyone else heard of this, or is someone having s joke?

I have heard and seen this before. The idea behind this approach is that the aromatic oils in Vicks increase the blood circulation. Seriously, as long as your foot cream is keeping the skin soft and creates an extra layer to reduce friction - all is well. Buen Camino! SY

[QUOTE="Magwood, post: 281210, member: 23967"
Having taken note of all replies to this thread I have ordered some 'hikerswool'. There is a european supplier based in Germany who is most charming and helpful - they are even sending me a little extra so that I can share it around on the camino. How's that for service? http://www.hikerswool.de

Hiker's wool is simply wool from a merino sheep that has been cleaned and carded (combed) into a fluffy mass of what is called 'roving'. You can buy roving in most yarn or fiber shops for around $2.50 to 3.00 an ounce (2.38-2.50 euros per 28 gms). It takes about 4 oz or 112 oz to knit a hat, so one ounce is more than enough for one Camino. Very cheap and widely available.

€83,-
Hiker's wool is simply wool from a merino sheep that has been cleaned and carded (combed) into a fluffy mass of what is called 'roving'. You can buy roving in most yarn or fiber shops for around $2.50 to 3.00 an ounce (2.38-2.50 euros per 28 gms). It takes about 4 oz or 112 oz to knit a hat said:
Sadly, this info came too late to save me a few euros, but as a frequenter of yarn shops I will keep my eye open for some in the future. Many thanks @Annie G

Last edited:
I wore sock liners made from synthetic material and wool socks. I had 2 blisters, both on the back of my right heel. I blame myself for them, because my boots weren't properly broken in. Even with regular shoes under normal, everyday conditions I sometimes get blisters on my heel, so I wasn't too surprised.

Bizarrely, I have just read on a different forum the advice to apply Vicks VapoRub on feet every day to prevent blisters. For those who don't know, this is a product designed to be rubbed on the chest to help ease congestion. Anyone else heard of this, or is someone having a joke?
Although I regularly use Vaseline, I heard this and took a bottle just in case. I used it for three days at the end when I ran out of Vaseline. I could see no difference though my feet smelt nice. By that time it probabably wasn't a fair test as my feet were accustomed to walking. I Have reverted to Vaseline for no better reason than familiarity.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No joke, it's just like applying vaseline with the added "cool" factor from the eucalyptus - like peppermint foot cream.

Hiker's wool is simply wool from a merino sheep that has been cleaned and carded (combed) into a fluffy mass of what is called 'roving'. You can buy roving in most yarn or fiber shops for around $2.50 to 3.00 an ounce (2.38-2.50 euros per 28 gms). It takes about 4 oz or 112 oz to knit a hat, so one ounce is more than enough for one Camino. Very cheap and widely available.[/QUOTE]

What about good old wool ballerinas use in the point shoes?

What about good old wool ballerinas use in the point shoes?

I think its the same kinda thing if its carded wool. ☺[/QUOTE]
It is. But here's the thing. Wool roving, when subjected to friction and moisture will become felted. Once it has reached that point, it becomes harder and less of a buffer. In fact, historically speaking, that is how felt was 'discovered'. Roving was placed under horse saddles for cushioning. After a long day's ride, the sweat from the horse had felted the roving into a fabric that was then used for clothing or blankets. Long story short, if you want the give and take of padding, roving must be replaced once it has felted.

Re sheep's wool: those of us who live in or near sheep country can gather it for free! Mine came from a sheep shearing demonstration, when the farmer handed out samples of his best product. On this forum, I have also read a suggestion to use ladies panty liners to pack around sore spots.

Re pawpaw ointment, or gel: This really is a miracle product. My elderly partner was given it as "wound support" for his legs, which often sustained knocks and grazes and took a long time to heal. Last year I took it on the Camino and applied it at night to any insipient blister. The problem had usually cleared up by morning. Pawpaw ointment is classed as a natural product (as opposed to a therapeutic one), and may not be available in all countries yet. There are 3 different brands on sale here in Australia, where there exists a huge amount of anecdotal evidence about its efficacy, but no clinical trials as yet.

Will you publish the results Doug? Currently they can only be seen by those who have voted. (Which I have not done of course, being a Newb)

First make sure that you start a couple of weeks before, taking care of the feet.
During the camino I use gesäss creme in the morning and in the evening, it's a non chaft cream with herbs that smells lovely.
One pair of thin toe socs (injinji run but their liners would do as well) under a pair of wool socks (smartwool phd medium crew). I use the toe socks because I have problems with toes that crosses, my pinky toe glides in under the next toe.
Sandals instead of shoes.
Gore-tex socks if it is raining or wet where I shall walk.

Stopping directly if I feel a hotspot, then I put on some textile sports tape on top of it. Sometimes I don't feel it and when I stop for the day I have a blister :-/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I walked from Le Puy to Pamplona two yers ago, and - believe it or not - for nearly seven weeks I didn't get one single blister! I used two pairs of socks (one thin and one thicker), and my boots were well used. I checked my feet every evening, and while resting in daytime I often took off my boots and socks. I realize that I was very lucky aand wonder if I get as lucky this summer while continuing from Pamplona to Finisterre. I had to dispose of my boots at the end of thhe camino, but my new ones are not really new any more. Be sure to have boots that are big enough as your feet may swell in the heat, and check seams etc in your socks. Buen camino!

I am interested in
  • testing the proposition that liner socks are not the most prevalent method for reducing/eliminating blisters,
  • whether pilgrims who have walked the camino, or other walkers with long distance, multi-day walking experience, are satisfied with the treatments they used.
Snip

There appears to be a significant minority of respondents who are prepared to contemplate trying a different approach. The question doesn't test dissatisfaction with the current treatment, although that could be a factor for those seeking to make a change. The other factor that would need to be considered is that the group of respondents are more open to testing new approaches.
This poll has now closed and anyone can see the results. Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond, and for the comments made.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am interested in
My interpretation of the results in relation to these two propositions is:

• The proposition that liner socks etc are not the most prevalent method of reducing/eliminating blisters appears to be disproven, with more respondents choosing this option over any other. But the combination of the small difference in the number responses for liner socks and the number for the next most frequent response (for petroleum based lubricants), and the sample size (n=58) make me uneasy that the difference is going to be statistically significant.
  • On the other hand, it is clear that most respondents are satisfied with their current blister prevention regime. It would indicate to me that whatever approach or combination of approaches has been used, it is sufficiently beneficial to continue without change.
  • There is still a significant minority of people who are contemplating changing their approach. The survey did not attempt to identify why that would be, and it would be speculative for me to advance reasons for that now.
Thank you again to all those that contributed. Note that since I posted this survey @Rajy62 has posted a quite comprehensive guide on the subject of blister prevention here.

I just completed the Camino a little over a week ago and blisters were a real problem. My husband and I walked blister free for days until we ran out of our duct tape. I know this sounds crazy and you would not want to use it if you have blisters, but it did seem to prevent them while we were using it.

Not sure if it's been mentioned here... But I rate the Spenco 2nd Skin squares well above Compeed. I precut some short lengths of fixamol (to put over the Spenco square) and put in a snap lock back and apply these as soon as I feel a hotspot.. or you can place them on an open blister. I transfer them from the container to a snap lock bag for easy carrying. I have been a sports trainer for elite athletes and this is what we used to care for their blisters... I've also used them myself for marathon training and the Oxfam 100km walks..

https://www.spenco.com/product.aspx?prodid=11&catid=59

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@AusShelley , this is a great product, but if not used within a year it dries out making it very costly. But if you will walk beyond the Camino I think it's an excellent choice.

I used Gehwohl-cream. No idea whether it helped or not, but I didn't get blisters for 3 weeks. Afterwards, I got a few small ones. But still, I was very happy to have walked all these days without blisters. So I'd use it again. I had the impression that the skin of my feet became a bit stronger by using it.

I use Vaseline , change socks at mid day, more often if needed. I carry three pair of dry Marino wool low profile socks. I don 't use liners. I don't get blisters, I listen to my feet and act accordingly . It provides a good moisture barrier on those Galacia Rainey days as we all know can be a bit damp. Hope this helps in your survey mi amigo.

€83,-
Prevention ok, proper shoe fit, proper socks fit, ( no wrinkles) avoid goretex type shoes, remove socks and totally dry your feet at least half way with hot spots use extract of benzoin and cover with duck tape ( it will last for a few days more like 3 or 4), if you get a blister don't drain it if bloody or cloudy, using alcohol clean the area use a siring with an 18 gauge needle drain the blister from the bottom of it with hard part of a qtip squeeze the fluid out as much as you can, inject extract of benzoin inside of cavity and flatten the skin over it should stick like glue cover with a little antib and duck tape, another way is to make a v cut on the bottom of a blister with nail clipper so the fluid does not build back up as it does with with a tread and needle ( a French medic show me how) years ago it works.

Zzotte

On several caminos I had dreadful blisters, the worst of which was on the Cami de San Jaume and I was driven to use second skin. Complaining aobut this to a Danish pilgrim he looked at my pityingly and said that while there were treatments, the best was to prevent them. How, I asked? and he replied that I should not push myself, as he thought that blisters were stress-related. I thanked him politely, filing it in my space-cadet information folder.

However, I wonder if he was not right--- at least to a certain extent. In any case I use either a glide preparation (I've forgotten the manufacturer) or compeed's little lubricant stick. It seems to work (along with not pushing myself) and I have managed three blister-free caminos.

On the Norte in May/June, and the Frances in September/October this year I relied on sandals, no socks, and Engo pads applied to the sandals where I sometimes get blisters (balls of the feet). One blister not worth mentioning. My friend, on her first Camino, relied on sandals with two pairs of socks. I think she got one small blister.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.