• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What can I do late November/early December?

Backagain

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo (2017)
Frances (2020)
I postponed my planned 2+ week camino for late August/early September due to covid numbers, work and family concerns. I had stuff I couldn't mess scheduled in-person for my return and my youngest child was not yet eligible for a vaccine. (didn't want to inadvertently carry the virus home). Well, early-mid December is my quiet time at work and my daughter just got her first vaccination. I still have the vacation time I can use, but I can't take it before American thanksgiving.

I am looking at traveling November 26-December 12. If I stick to the area closer to Sarria/Santiago, is a short walk even possible? I dont mind cool temperatures, but I am not interested in walking in snow or a lot of freezing rain, and I would like for hotels, cafes, and restaurants to be open so I can eat and sleep.

What do you think I should do? Go when I can, and do what I can? Or wait/pick another (non-Camino) pilgrimage destination?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
To help us think about suggestions, I have some questions...

Is the arrival in Santiago important on this trip? Do you speak Spanish? How much social interaction with other pilgrims or locals do you want?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Weather-wise do some research about historic weather condition from Sarria and Santiago. If the weather suits you then try contacting some of the accommodations in the towns you want to stay overnight and ask about avialability.

I am looking at traveling November 26-December 12.
Hi, in February last year I walked from Ferrol to Santiago on the Camino Ingles, and then to Muxia, Finisterre and back to Santiago. Took me 17 days, just ambling along, so could be done in less . . . . really enjoyed it. All sorts of weather for that time of the year, including lots of sunny days. Stayed in the municipal albergues, but there were other places available.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
To help us think about suggestions, I have some questions...

Is the arrival in Santiago important on this trip? Do you speak Spanish? How much social interaction with other pilgrims or locals do you want?
Good questions. Thanks for asking.

No, I do not need to arrive in Santiago. I was thinking that there may be more traffic (and therefore more places open) for the last part of the Frances route, but I am open and flexible.

I speak a bit of Spanish. Can muddle through basic exchanges but cannot have an in-depth conversation.

And I am fine with any amount of social interaction.

Like @alexwalker suggestions, how about Merida to Salamanca? (Or start in Zafra and/or end in Zamora.) Check the recent threads in the VDLP section of the forum, including some people currently walking. That should give you an idea of what places are open now, although there will be fewer in December, of course. If you are open to accommodation in hotels and hostales, you'll have more options than just albergues.

I am interested in this as well, although I will be a month earlier. Original plan had been to fly to Santiago and walk to Muxia and then Finsterra. As it turns out the easyJet flight I had planned on doesn't run off season. There is a flight on the dreaded Ryanair but only on certain days, so I will be arriving a few days earlier than planned. The extra days got me to looking at doing the Invierno, starting Monforte. But when I looked up bus and trains from Santiago to there, found the bus runs only M-F and the train not on Saturday (the day I arrive in Santiago) and the one train on Sunday train goes very late.
Unless anyone can tell me my findings are incorrect, I am back heading to Muxia. I have started to check the albergues listed in gronze as being open that time of year, and have received my first reply saying no way.
Sigh.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I postponed my planned 2+ week camino for late August/early September due to covid numbers, work and family concerns. I had stuff I couldn't mess scheduled in-person for my return and my youngest child was not yet eligible for a vaccine. (didn't want to inadvertently carry the virus home). Well, early-mid December is my quiet time at work and my daughter just got her first vaccination. I still have the vacation time I can use, but I can't take it before American thanksgiving.

I am looking at traveling November 26-December 12. If I stick to the area closer to Sarria/Santiago, is a short walk even possible? I dont mind cool temperatures, but I am not interested in walking in snow or a lot of freezing rain, and I would like for hotels, cafes, and restaurants to be open so I can eat and sleep.

What do you think I should do? Go when I can, and do what I can? Or wait/pick another (non-Camino) pilgrimage destination?
Hello
I don't think that I can be a lot of help bit I will be interested to see the responses. I was due to leave Birmingham England next Friday to walk Camino Ingles and Finisterre but sadly my mother-in-law passed away this weekend. I now need to wait until all the necessary arrangements are sorted out and look to reschedule for late October/November.
Buen Camino
Vince

I’ve been thinking Portugal in December between Lisbon and Porto, mostly to visit Templar sites along the Camino. Have limited time so would require some train/bus trips to make all the sites I have in mind. Moderate and wet weather beats cold for my tolerance.

Well I am backing a start in Merida ( which I am booked to begin on 10th November). My plan is to walk the VdlP as far as Zamora and then switch to the Camino Frances at Astorga. From there to SDC arrive around the 9th/10th December. I have flights booked home on the 12th December. Plenty of time to get the Christmas dinner on the table.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am pondering going to Merida and walk up the VdlP, due to better weather conditions, hopefully. Hoping that accomodations are available in Nov...
I am walking the VDLP from October 14 through about December 1. I try to stay in albergues as much as possible and my first choices are always municipals or donativos. I walk on a budget but of course donativo is not free but I usually find some of my best experiences in donativos. It seems that most municipals are closed but doing my research here and checking Gronze and other sites as well as this posting I made yesterday:
Should give you a good choice of albergues and hostels throughout the VDLP. It seems like you will not have alot of options but with the VDLP being a much less traveled route I doubt if you will have a problem finding a place to sleep each night.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

How about Camino Mozarabe? You could start in Seville, which is a great town to visit anyway, and head north. Or if the weather is to your liking, begin in Granada or somewhere between Granada and Seville, which has more mountainous country.

You probably know that "Pope John XXIII granted in 1965 to the city of Gáldar a papal bull. This gave the city the same privileges as Santiago de Compostela to celebrate the Jacobean Holy Year."

This should do the trick, but when I visited Gran Canaria last year I didn't know it had a Camino, so it's not very well known ... But it's a wonderful place with some excellent hostels and it has some of the best hiking trails I've come across. Have a great time.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.