• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What Count the Most : Your Passion for the Camino or the Carry Bag weight ?

Walid Medawar

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese ( July 2015 )
Dears Pelegrinos / Pelegrinas

I always wonder when seeing all the posts about weight, don't the passion and love we put in the walks capable of overcoming the extra kilos ? ain't the anxiety of reaching Santiago and fulfilling our Camino capable of making us forget the long walks , the feet pain ect ,

To be honest , right now with all the tons of work I should finish before the Camino , and with few time for my physical preparation , I do still feel that since i'm driven by the passion of the Camino , I will do it no matter what , since no matter what will happen , whether I got injured , tired ect I will keep Going.
I even start to feel , that GOD make everything for a purpose , and for me to cultivate the fruit of my camino , I need to overcome my poor physical preparation.

Did anyone before faced the same situation ?

Buen camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tell that to people who break their legs. Or try to carry the weight of three or four packs.

Sure, dedication and passion can help....can make you do better than someone else of the same physical shape with the same weight.......but I wouldn't go ignoring or discounting hardships either. Hardships aren't good to dwell on, but they are equally dangerous to ignore.

Hardships aren't good to dwell on, but they are equally dangerous to ignore.

Thanks you for your reply.Though Driven by My Passion I surely not ignoring any the hardship in My camino. I Just don't have much time to prepare as it should be , for my bag I'm not going for 15 Kilos , but yet for me it doesn't matter much whether it is 8.23 or 8.5 Kilos , yet My Bag won't be more than 8 Kilos. One reason of my Post as well , is to give myself more motivations as well ..

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
. . . yet for me it doesn't matter much whether it is 8.23 or 8.5 Kilos , yet My Bag won't be more than 8 Kilos. One reason of my Post as well , is to give myself more motivations as well ..
It wouldn't matter to 95% of the pilgrims if it was 8.23 or 8.5kg.

The key is to carry a comfortable weight, and what is comfortable in your living room is not necessarily going to be comfortable after 50, 100, or 250km.

I tend to put emphasis on the suspension system of the backpack. Some packs are designed to carry no more than 5kg, others are comfortable to carry with 15kg. Its all about the suspension system, the back panel, the way the pack fits to your body, etc. I carried about 12kg across England in May of this year and never really felt the weight. But my pack is designed to carry up to 20kg so loading only 10-12kg in that pack puts no real strain on the system. Take a different pack, one that is frameless, and put 10kg in it and I would have been miserable before lunch on the first day.

I also advocate "light hiking" boots or shoes. I prefer boots to keep debris, rocks, etc out of my shoes, but in any case I prefer light weight with good support. My boots are under 1kg for the pair. 1/2kg on you feet is roughly equal to 2.75kg on your back. So there are advantages to lighter footware too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are people who really enjoy the small details. There are others who don't. It's just a different approach.

Realistically though, specifics like pack weight get talked about a lot more on this board than more nebulous things like passion and love for the simple reason that it is easier to talk about specifics. I think everybody who walks has a passion and love for the camino - why the heck else would we spend our precious free time doing it?

That said - do what you can to prevent injury though. You can press through if you are tired, but an injury could end your Camino.

I look at it what I think is reasonable make it as light as possible & comfortable, then toss if your body breaks down. The reality, if all you had was what you could wear including coat, as long as you have funds available you can easily get by.

To answer what I think you are asking, I would walk it with a loin cloth if that is all I had, just so I could do it.

In this world it seems the hard part are 2 issues:
Time
Funds

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
[...]I always wonder when seeing all the posts about Weight, don't the passion and Love we put in the Walks capable of overcoming the extra Kilos ? ain't the Anxiety of Reaching Santiago and fulfilling our Camino capable of Making us forget the Long walks , The Feet Pain ect ,
You'll find that out before you finish seven days of your walk. By then you'll be glad to send a box from the nearest Post Office with superfluous stuff in your pack to Santiago (Ivar's store can be recommended) and walk blister free the remainder of your pilgrimage.:cool:

In my experience, the second issue, pack weight, can affect the former, quality of Camino experience, at least in most persons I've encountered. There are always exceptions. However, if you carry relatively less on your back, you can devote less energy and thought to that issue and concentrate more and better on living in the moment, all the way to Santiago. Now, if I can only learn to follow my own advice on my Caminos, I would be a much happier pilgrim...

I hope this helps.

Everyone wonders how difficult it will be. It is a long walk, that is all. Don't underestimate yourself!

Walked with a couple from Romania last year who both carried 18 kilos. Many people told them they were carrying too much and they said the weight did not matter to them. Also walked with a couple from Mexico City who carried their large packs holding everything for 6 months in Europe and wearing street shoes.

Koreans carry BIG packs and never whine. Wait until you see one pull earmuffs out of a pack on a cold morning.

Our biggest surprise on the Camino last year was finding that a lot people who were weight fanatics were putting extra bags in taxis and were staying in hotels, not albergues.

And by the way, the best place to get rocks to add weight to your pack is going down the hill after the cross of iron. By that time, you are in good shape and you don't even notice any weight in your pack.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

I always wonder when seeing all the posts about Weight, don't the passion and Love we put in the Walks capable of overcoming the extra Kilos ? ain't the Anxiety of Reaching Santiago and fulfilling our Camino capable of Making us forget the Long walks , The Feet Pain ect ,

To Be Honest , Right now with all the Tons of work I should finish before the Camino , and With few time for my Physical preparation , I do still feel that since i'm Driven by the passion of the Camino , I will do it no matter what , Since No Matter what will Happen , whether I got injured , tired ect I will keep Going.
I Even start to feel , that GOD make everything for a purpose , and for me To cultivate the Fruit of my camino , I need to overcome my Poor Physical preparation.

Did Anyone before faced the same Situation ?

Buen camino

I appreciate and admire your passion for the Camino. It is a feeling that most pilgrims can relate to and understand.

On this forum we strive to increase the probability that every pilgrim will accomplish the Camino and not be stopped by anything that can be controlled. It is for this reason you will read advice about packing light, what shoes to wear, what clothes are best, etc. However, this is only advice or counsel. Each of us should realize that the Camino has been walked for hundreds of years and none of those pilgrims from yesteryear had anything similar to the equipment we use today. If one desires to walk the Camino they will walk it regardless of what happens.

Some still walk the Camino barefoot, but I don't advise it unless you are very comfortable walking barefoot prior attempting the Camino. Some walk it in sandals and have no problems. Others walk the Camino in heavy hiking boots. The main issue for each pilgrim is doing enough preparation so that they have the best chance to enjoy the Camino and remain healthy throughout the experience.

Prepare where you can, be prudent in your daily choices, and the Camino will provide the rest. She is a wonderful teacher if we listen to her.

Peace and may each day of your Camino find you in good health,

Last edited:
Everyone wonders how difficult it will be. It is a long walk, that is all. Don't underestimate yourself!

Walked with a couple from Romania last year who both carried 18 kilos. Many people told them they were carrying too much and they said the weight did not matter to them. Also walked with a couple from Mexico City who carried their large packs holding everything for 6 months in Europe and wearing street shoes.

Koreans carry BIG packs and never whine. Wait until you see one pull earmuffs out of a pack on a cold morning.

Our biggest surprise on the Camino last year was finding that a lot people who were weight fanatics were putting extra bags in taxis and were staying in hotels, not albergues.

And by the way, the best place to get rocks to add weight to your pack is going down the hill after the cross of iron. By that time, you are in good shape and you don't even notice any weight in your pack.

Walked the CF 1 May - 5 June this year, 36 days, no rest days, no blisters, pack weight of 14.5 kilos, minimal pre Camino training, and I was six months past my 70th birthday. Both my hiking partner and I "donated" clothes via the five finger discount off drying racks, presumably to hikers with ultra light packs who decided they didn't take quite enough. Only thing I did took and did not use was my poncho.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Walked the CF 1 May - 5 June this year, 36 days, no rest days, no blisters, pack weight of 14.5 kilos, minimal pre Camino training, and I was six months past my 70th birthday. Both my hiking partner and I "donated" clothes via the five finger discount off drying racks, presumably to hikers with ultra light packs who decided they didn't take quite enough. Only thing I did took and did not use was my poncho.
Thirty pound pack? Dude, what were you hauling in that thing? I can't think of thirty pounds of stuff I'd need (or want) to walk the Camino Frances. Were ya'll sleeping outdoors every night and hauling tents?

Thirty pound pack? Dude, what were you hauling in that thing? I can't think of thirty pounds of stuff I'd need (or want) to walk the Camino Frances. Were ya'll sleeping outdoors every night and hauling tents?
A 70 year old pilgrim isn't a "dude"; he is a "sir" and I bet his answer to your question is "I carried what I wanted to carry". :)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was carrying "the usual suspects". No tent, no air mattress, no stove with fuel, no multiple days of food. Did that last year on the AT and the C&O Canal with a pack that weighed about 45 pounds. This year's pack weight was 3.5 lbs empty, a 19 oz lightweight sleeping bag with silk liner, poncho, rain jacket and rain paints (which I used), one pair of convertible trousers, two spare light weight wool tee shirts, wool socks (one pair stolen), charger for the iPod and mini iPad, a liter of water, couple of oranges (heavy little suckers). Had a couple of warmer clothes since the night / early morning temps were in the 30's for the first three weeks or so. The one thing most people don't have that I carried was an Osprey bag for shipping my pack on the airplane, which weighed 12 oz. God willing and the creek don't rise I will do it again in Oct. 2016 for my 72nd birthday.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 1911 UK Census produced the renowned (though possibly apocryphal) publication "The Population of Britain Broken Down By Sex And Age". Is there scope for a thread on "Pilgrims Broken Down By Desire Or Pack-Weight ".

I suspect most pilgrims undertake the Camino out of passion, out of desire to walk to Santiago and offer homage to his bones. I doubt many undertake this journey out of desire to see how many kilograms of useless sh'te they can manage to haul all that way. I firmly believe that many pilgrims fail to reach their desired destination because they over-burden themselves, walk too fast, too far. Therefore the discussions on this forum on pack weight, socks, boots and water-bottles are part of the passion of the Camino. We who made it to the Pilgrim's Gate; we who fell upon the way; we who still aspire to triumph or disaster will share everything we have learnt or failed to learn so that the next pilgrim through the gate can get a little closer.

Buen Camino @Walid Medawar , may your passion carry you over hills your legs would not.

On my Sarria to Santiago pilgrimage in May, my pack was 12 pounds or about 5.5 kilo. The only item I will leave home next time is my windbreaker jacket. I will use my poncho next time instead.
good idea there is always places you can purchase extras. light is good to start.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I always wonder when seeing all the posts about Weight, don't the passion and Love we put in the Walks capable of overcoming the extra Kilos ? ain't the Anxiety of Reaching Santiago and fulfilling our Camino capable of Making us forget the Long walks , The Feet Pain ect ,

To Be Honest , Right now with all the Tons of work I should finish before the Camino , and With few time for my Physical preparation , I do still feel that since i'm Driven by the passion of the Camino , I will do it no matter what , Since No Matter what will Happen , whether I got injured , tired ect I will keep Going.
I Even start to feel , that GOD make everything for a purpose , and for me To cultivate the Fruit of my camino , I need to overcome my Poor Physical preparation.

Buen camino
I walked with NO weight (Jacotrans) during my 10 stage Camino last May. I'm 65 and reasonably fit but no special preparation. I carried my 8 kg backpack on the first stage (Ponferrada/Villafranca). The weight was no bother but the perspiration in my back from carrying a backpack was. When advised of using the several transport services I noticed that whenever I go hiking in the Andes I always try to secure mule transport for an easier trek. Why not the Camino? I enjoyed the added comfort immensely. Besides the idea is to keep your body free from injury as much as possible.

Buen Camino

You'll find that out before you finish seven days of your walk. By then you'll be glad to send a box from the nearest Post Office with superfluous stuff in your pack to Santiago (Ivar's store can be recommended) and walk blister free the remainder of your pilgrimage.:cool:
. I am a superfluous stuff type of guy, what usually sorts me out is several days of walking with a heavyish backpack, then any attachments to clothing, books, toiletries, electrical which are not necessary is finally weakened and I head off to the correos for one of their environmentally verde boxes and the off it goes to await my return. Its better to see that your attachments are just that before you set off, but I can never quite do it and always find an excuse( reason) to go with them.

[...]whenever I go hiking in the Andes I always try to secure mule transport for an easier trek. Why not the Camino? I enjoyed the added comfort immensely. Besides the idea is to keep your body free from injury as much as possible.
That makes sense, though I'll keep "hauling" my 9 kg backpack (which should be 7 kg) because I keep on walking (at 77) every day in my retirement.;) In Costa Rica they call this "Pura Vida":D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Buen camino

If you're heart is pure and your pack is too heavy ... you're screwed.

Your body will become inured to the physical demands of it provided you give it a chance to do so before you injure yourself. Which means not carrying a pack loaded with junk you don't need.

Advice: if you suffer injury - stop walking till the injury is healed. Even if that means going home and perhaps coming another time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we all avoid unnecessary capital letters please? Justified occasionally as the first letter in a word (signifying a title). When a whole word or sentence is in capitals it is shouting. I understand people like to emphasise strongly held opinions, but there are other ways.

And no slanging matches please.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree that some people go a bit wild on this weight issue. I have never been too successful in getting my pack below 8 or 9 kilos before water and food. It was never a problem. That is, till this year, when I injured one of my knees. I made it fine into Santiago but it was pretty sore for the last week or so, particularly on the descents. My PT says it was a combination of weight and overuse (I did a lot of 40+km days, a new thing for me in all these years of caminos).

So, what to do? I already use two hiking sticks. I already have cushy silicone orthotics. Seems like the only things left to make life more pleasant for my knees is to reduce the weight in my pack, and to bring my daily kms back down to the 30s range, at least that's all I can think of.

All you young-uns out there are probably less likely to have these kind of issues, seems to be inevitable for people in my age cohort!

On the Norte this year, with tent and associated extra stuff, I was carrying about 12 kilos. That's about five kilos more than I normally carry. The balance pockets on the front of my pack (with heavy stuff, like water) helped stop me from feeling unbalanced. It was fine, as long as I did not jump any puddles.

The physical advantage of a heavy pack, provided it does no permanent damage, is that it does strengthen core muscles.

Still, next time I'm going light. I don't see any relationship between pack weight and spirituality.

€149,-

Still, next time I'm going light. I don't see any relationship between pack weight and spirituality.
We have steadily had to lighten our packs. Determination to complete our Camino 'outweighed' carrying too heavy a pack. This year we were carrying more than we would have liked at times (water and food) - maybe 500gms extra and it showed. Happy pack weights for us are 6kg and 8kg including food and water. On a couple of days we quite literally prayed for one anothers feet to be OK as extra weight and hard surfaces were causing problems. Packing light does make sense, and does not mean any less passion for the Camino.

@peregrina2000 - we ditched the sleeping bags this time, stopped taking liners previously (this is walking in May) so need all private albergues etc with bedding provided. That drops the weight dramatically, unless you have anything else heavy that you know you can leave behind. We only walk maximum of 20kms and this year 15kms felt like enough after the coastal paving. Our feet have just about recovered, our passion and determination got us there. :)

I agree with Mark. If I carried everything I own including a kitchen sink it would not weigh that much. It's time to simplify your life "dude."

Walid, a good post. I think it is about intent. What is the intention of the walker? If it is pilgrimage then there is an inner dialogue that will carry the pilgrim through adversity; if it is a long walk then the walker will drop out if it gets hard.

So - go on your pilgrimage and do not be concerned - though, there is nothing wrong with good preparation.

The Arab Muslims have a saying "trust in God, but tie up your camel" - says it all

Buen Camino Walid.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dear Pelegrinos and Pelegrinas ,

I made it . With Heart full of desire of Santiago and with a 7 Kilo Pack , I walked the distance with so much endurance and resilience.
I have taken all the precautions from cream to great socks to great boots , but yet i my only problems during the Camino was the Blisters , but yet , I was able to continue every day walking 25 KM with Blisters, reach my Albergue , get rest and start over again
Summarizing the Camino is best by comparing it to life: "If you set a goal for your life, no matter what pain u feel, u will reach it with Joy".
You learn that quitting something because of Physical Pain says a lot about your Lack of Faith. Have faith in your Road, Love it, Be it and you will reach your Goal. And in the End it is a road to reconcile with yourself .

Did my bag Hurt me : Only when I Thought in it .

Once again I would like to thanks everyone who participated in This Post. I couldn't understand Much of what you said till i saw my first arrow, till I met the first pilgrim , till I notice from far the Tip top of Santiago and smelled the Botafumeiro .

I feel the need to go back on the road , I feel the need to feep that unique kind of peace again "

Am i a Better person now ? too soon to judge , but for sure I'm a better person when it come to Judging my Thoughts and be patient in my decisions.

My camino might need more than this to write about , Hope one day i will be able to do it.

At the end one funny thing for me : the hardest thing for me after Santiago was leaving my wood stick which i collected on the road ,,, i felt so attached to it ...

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...t-pain-u-feel-u-will-reach-it-with-joy.35593/

Attachments

• 11751460_10153391261631206_2727938062170857627_n.jpg
    11751460_10153391261631206_2727938062170857627_n.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 6
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back