• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What date is your first Camino day? Find your Saint?

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi - just a thought .... the day you set out .. whose feast day is that?

Here is a Catholic calendar of saints ............... it defaults to the current day but just below the saints banner you can alter the month and day ... find your saint and then Google them for their life story .. carry that with you as you walk?

You can look up the saint/s for your birth date too! The two on my birthdate were both Franciscans (March 6th).

https://www.vaticannews.va/en/saints.html

Enjoy! (if that is the right word)

Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
2010: ST. JOHN CLIMACUS, ABBOTT OF SINAI
2011: tba
2012: ST.WILLIAM, ABBOT, FOUNDER OF THE CONGREGATION OF MONTEVERGINE and ST. PROSPERUS OF AQUITAINE, PHILOSOPHER
2014: ST. LIBORIUS, BISHOP OF LE MANS
2016: ST ATHANASIUS, BISHOP OF ALEXANDRIA IN EGYPT AND DOCTOR OF THE CHURCH
2018: ST. IRENAEUS, BISHOP OF LION AND MARTYR and ST PAUL I, POPE

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
St. Victor, Martyr on the via Salaria antica
St. Paschal Baylon, Franciscan lay , Patron of the Eucharistic Associations
St. Antony M. Zaccaria, priest, Founder of the Barnabitis
St. Alexander, Bishop of Jerusalem and Martyr
St. Ubald, Bishop of Gubbio
St. Catherine of Sweden, Virgin, Mother of St. Bridget
St. Sophronius of Jerusalem, Bishop
St. Eulogius, priest and martyr
St. Jiulius I, Pope
St. Zeno, Bishop of Verona
St. Joseph Moscati, Physician of Naples

What a slew of Saints! (BTW, What is the collective noun for saints? A sanctity?)
And my birthday has a pope, a physician/martyr, and an ascetic - all of them from before the 5th C. I guess I can take my pick?
Thanks David, beside being fun, this is actually quite interesting.

Last edited:
2020: Saint Vincent Ferrer. Spaniard born in Valencia, Dominican friar and missionary to spread the word, preacher and teacher (logician). Very fitting for my personal history.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Leaving Sarria on a Sunday morning (which in retrospect I would never recommend) a man complained to me about the great numbers of people in his way (a self-avowed cheap vacationer) by saying, "Look - it's like a procession!" And yes, there was a literal line of people on trail.

A "Procession of Pilgrims!" What better way to describe us - because after all, isn't that what we do for special holy times - process?

I will never complain about the numbers of pilgrims anywhere on the Camino - having received this treasured gift from someone who was totally annoyed and unaware!

... or you could seek the assistance of the fourteen Holy Helpers: there’s one for every eventuality and every day for a fortnight.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the post @David . Interesting idea. I discovered that my pilgrimage from San Andres de Teixido last year began on the feast of St Winifred: a Welsh saint whose shrine in Holywell I have walked to twice (from Aberdaron and from Shrewsbury). A connection I would probably never have made but for your post :) And on the 'martyr' issue - Winifrid was famously martyred and then resurrected to live to a decent old age ;)

I spent a semester abroad studying Spanish the spring of 1978. Three of us stayed with a kind widow, who cooked meals for us and provided oversight. I recall her telling us that in Spain birthdays are not celebrated; rather it is the feast day of your namesake's saint. So we celebrated St Robert's day with a cake, rather than my birthday. Bob

Not surprisingly I'm walking out on the day remembering the big dog, Archangel Michael 29th September 2019 coincidentally or not in memory of my Uncle of the same name so will have to memorize his prayer whilst walking beside my own guardian angel, Sinead. Always guarded, guided and protected 🙏

Attachments

• cq5dam.thumbnail.cropped.250.141.jpeg
    cq5dam.thumbnail.cropped.250.141.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20190225-235444.png
    Screenshot_20190225-235444.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I discovered that my pilgrimage from San Andres de Teixido last year began on the feast of St Winifred: a Welsh saint whose shrine in Holywell I have walked to twice (from Aberdaron and from Shrewsbury). A connection I would probably never have made but for your post :) And on the 'martyr' issue - Winifrid was famously martyred and then resurrected to live to a decent old age ;)

St Winifred also belongs to the company of cephalophores (head-bearing saints) that includes St Denis. I often refer to her decapitation and miraculous recapitation when teaching Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and draw attention to the Winifred’s Well in Dublin's Temple Bar - woefully misused these days as a receptacle for rubbish - but, strangely, few students share my fascination.

St Winifred also belongs to the company of cephalophores (head-bearing saints) that includes St Denis. I often refer to her decapitation and miraculous recapitation when teaching Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and draw attention to the Winifred’s Well in Dublin's Temple Bar - woefully misused these days as a receptacle for rubbish - but, strangely, few students share my fascination.
Have you heard of this fairly obscure St Winifred's well? On the supposed route of the journey the saint's relics took from her burial site in Gwytherin to the abbey in Shrewsbury. An event which inspired the first of the Ellis Peters Cadfael medieval mystery novels. My friend Andy and I planned our route from Shrewsbury to Holywell to pass by.

Have you heard of this fairly obscure St Winifred's well? On the supposed route of the journey the saint's relics took from her burial site in Gwytherin to the abbey in Shrewsbury. An event which inspired the first of the Ellis Peters Cadfael medieval mystery novels. My friend Andy and I planned our route from Shrewsbury to Holywell to pass by.

Thanks, I hadn’t come across this one. It would be lovely to stay there the next time I cycle across Wales, but it’s a bit too pricey for my pilgrim budget!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ok, sorry, I got sidetracked earlier - mostly because I love to tell that story - a shameless confession.

Back to the topic: My next Camino falls on the feast of Padre Pio. OH!!! He suffered the wounds of crucified Christ. I will need to ponder this beyond the obvious...

Padre Pio
An incredibly powerful Saint, my mother has been on receiving end of his intentions and dedicates her time to visiting people in our local area with his holy relic, MIT, a rose scent features when he is present 🙏

When I walked the Camino in 2016, I was walking with my son. His birthday happened to fall when we were in Carrion de los Condes. Unfortunately, he wouldn't let me tell anyone that it was his birthday. Fortunately, he was still able to participate in a big celebration, including a special mass for visiting pilgrims presided over by the visiting bishop. His birthday falls on July 25, a good saint's day for the Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi - just a thought .... the day you set out .. whose feast day is that?

Here is a Catholic calendar of saints ............... it defaults to the current day but just below the saints banner you can alter the month and day ... find your saint and then Google them for their life story .. carry that with you as you walk?

You can look up the saint/s for your birth date too! The two on my birthdate were both Franciscans (March 6th).

https://www.vaticannews.va/en/saints.html

Enjoy! (if that is the right word)

Buen Camino.
I just realized that now is 18th September in Spain which makes it exactly a year from when we started our Camino Frances! Thank you for this post as it made me check my starting date in my diary otherwise the anniversary would have gone past unnoticed. St Sophia is the Saint, by the way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Today Santo Domingo de la Calzada celebrates the day of Saint Jeronimo Hermonilla, born in the town in 1800. He died as a martyr in Vietnam.

I happened to be in Santo Domingo on the 19th of September a few years ago. I will never forget an amazing celebration in the cathedral together with very loud singing. The town is very proud of its son.

And for me - just one more reason to love Santo Domingo de la Calzada, that is one of my favourite places on Camino Frances anyway.

Today there was a fiesta in the town. Happy pilgrims who are there tonight! I wish I was there

Thank you David for your Saints' Calendar. Let me add a shortlist of Saints modern pilgrim meets along Via Tolosana and Camino Frances. Their feast days fall on:

January
16 Saint Fris (Bassoues, Via Tolosana)
17 Saint Anthony the Great (Arles, Via Tolosana)

February
13 Saint Fulcran (Lodeve, Via Tolosana)

April
4 Saint Isidor of Sevilla (Leon, Camino Frances)
9 Saint Mary Jacobe (Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer, Via Tolosana...well maybe not, but not so far away:)
24 Saint Mary Salome, a mother of Saint James (Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer, Via Tolosana); also/or in October

May
9 Saint Gregorio Ostianese (Logrono, Camino Frances)
12 Saint Domingo de la Calzada (Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Camino Frances)
28 Saint Guilhem (Saint-Guilhem-le-Desert, Via Tolosana)

June
2 Saint Juan de Ortega (San Juan de Ortega, Camino Frances)
7 Saint Fermin (Pamplona, Camino Frances); also in September
25 SAINT JAMES THE GREAT (SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA)

August
16 Saint Roch (Montpellier, Via Tolosana)

September
1 St Giles (Saint-Gilles, Via Tolosana)
19 Saint Jeronimo Hermonilla (Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Camino Frances)
25 Saint Fermin (Pamplona, Camino Frances)

October
22 Saint Mary Salome, a mother of Saint James (Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer, Via Tolosana)

November
1 ALL SAINTS
29 Saint Saturnin of Toulouse (Toulouse, Via Tolosana)

December
6 Saint Nicholas of Bari (San Juan de Ortega, Camino Frances)

Thank you David for your Saints' Calendar. Let me add a shortlist of Saints modern pilgrim meets along Via Tolosana and Camino Frances. Their feast days fall on:

June
2 Saint Juan de Ortega (San Juan de Ortega, Camino Frances)
7 Saint Fermin (Pamplona, Camino Frances); also in September
25 SAINT JAMES THE GREAT (SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA)
I don't know about all the others but I'm pretty sure this should be July instead of June.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you David Tallan. I lost "July" subtitle. Juan de Ortega is June, then Fermin and our Best Friend Saint James have their celebrations in July.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back