• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What did you do/Where did you go after your Camino?

Elisha

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning April/May 2018
Hi fellow pilgrims,

I'm currently planning my first Camino Frances for April/May 2018 & Camino permitting, I'll have roughly 2 weeks afterwards before I have to return home to Sydney. My friend & I are currently throwing around ideas & thought perhaps a quick trip around Prague, Vienna, Bratislava & Budapest; about 3 days in each city. We're both International Flight Attendants & love to travel so naturally thought we'd hit up a few places we haven't been yet. Then of course there's ideas of relaxing somewhere in Greece... perhaps Coatia...

My question is, what did you do with your post Camino time? Would you recommend something less adventure driven & maybe more time to relax somewhere quiet after the Camino? Just curious :)

Elisha

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We went first to the Parador de Santo Estevo and toured the Ribeira Sacre - stunning, stunning, stunning. Then we went to Porto which I absolutely loved, then Coimbra to see one of the most beautiful libraries in the world, then Lisbon and Sintra!
Wow, was that ever fun.

We spent a few days in Madrid and really enjoyed it. Prague, Vienna and Budapest sound very interesting (all on my some day list) but if you are looking for sun, Greece or Croatia are probably better bets that time of year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last year I spent a month in Paris after walking the full CF. I loved every minute of it (May in Paris!) but I wouldn't recommend it because I walked every day, as you do, and I had worked up a pretty severe case of plantar fasciitis while on my Camino. I suggest a holiday before walking a Camino. That way you could go straight to the hospital afterwards, if necessary.

Edit: I did visit Madrid for almost a week before my Camino but it was pretty cool in March, and I stayed in Santiago for 4 days before flying to Paris. Next time I'll take more days off along my Camino to smell the roses. During my decompression in SDC, I took the bus to Finisterre and walked to the Lighthouse.

Mike

PARIS-2014-6.jpg
Chatelet Metro entrance, near Les Halles. Paris.

WEBSITE PARIS 2014 Montmartres.jpg
Montmartre seen from the top of The Pompidou Centre on a rainy afternoon. Paris.

WEBSITE PARIS 2014 Streaky bicycle.jpg
Looking across to The Seine from The Marais. Paris.

WEBSITE PARIS 2014 Pere Lachaise reflection.jpg
Pere Lachaise Cemetery, Paris. A sculpture enclosed in glass, above a tomb.

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2012 four of us hired a car in SdC and had a road trip to Oviedo-Salamanca-Granada-Valencia-Barcelona.

I could only go as far as Granada because of other commitments.

Other years I have stayed a few days in SdC, attended a literary festival in Coruna, continued to Fisterra, visited friends in Andalucia...

I'm in Barcelona at the moment . Two weeks is perhaps too long to be here one however is perfect . There is so much to see and experience plus of course you don't have to get into another wretched aeroplane until you fly home ( a busman's holiday in your case I suppose ). Train from Santiago is hardly a fast train by normal standards even though it's called one ; it takes 15 hours . The trip back through country you walked through is really entertaining , the cost about 90 odd euro.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Post Camino? No where that involves any standing or walking.Those hard marble floors at the Prado ... oh the pain. From now own, any with Camino tourism will be pre-Camino.

Hi fellow pilgrims,

I'm currently planning my first Camino Frances for April/May 2018 & Camino permitting, I'll have roughly 2 weeks afterwards before I have to return home to Sydney. My friend & I are currently throwing around ideas & thought perhaps a quick trip around Prague, Vienna, Bratislava & Budapest; about 3 days in each city. We're both International Flight Attendants & love to travel so naturally thought we'd hit up a few places we haven't been yet. Then of course there's ideas of relaxing somewhere in Greece... perhaps Coatia...

My question is, what did you do with your post Camino time? Would you recommend something less adventure driven & maybe more time to relax somewhere quiet after the Camino? Just curious :)

Elisha
Hi
I am doing the Frances Camino in August 2017 and then flying up to Iceland for an 8 day tour then back to Portugal to meet my daughter. Should be fun
Jenny

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On camino number one 2001, I was stranded in London for three days due to 9/11, could not fly back to NYC, so I toured London, although a bit stressed. Same camino, I toured Barcelona pre-camino. Other times, pre-camino, I toured different sections in Madrid.

Last year, pre-Camino Barcelona. Post-Camino Porto, Fatima and Lisbon. It inspired us to go back and do the Portuguese coming up this fall. We'll spend a couple of days in Lisbon pre and then post plan Madrid, Lourdes and Paris. Both times flying in and out of different airports was the key. We used FF miles but in our experience the cost is often the same or even less.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I second Barcelona and Lisbon.
Sevilla is also a great place to spend a week or two. It’s a great base with many interesting places to visit for day trips - Jerez, Carmona, Aracena, Ronda, Cadiz etc Stay in the old town and spend your days eating and drinking your way through all the narrow laneways.

I spent a week in Madrid after my Camino last year. It turned out to be Gay Pride weekend so it was a loud, crowded, party atmosphere. Culture shock after my quiet walking thru rural Spain! But I was bummed when my phone camera died right before I encountered a dozen musclebound men in rainbow bikini bottoms rollerblading by.

You can plan all you want, but what happens during the Camino may dictate what you do after the Camino.

Let me give you an example. My plans for after my last Camino included Porto, Lisbon, Gibraltar, and Morocco.

During my Camino, I met a wonderful woman from Germany. We met early one morning and laughed and walked together for rest of the day. Then we had dinner together. Then we walked together the next day. And the next. And by the time we got to Santiago, we were in love. So Porto, Lisbon, Gibraltar, and Morocco were out and Frankfurt was in.

Just so you know, the Camino laughs at your plans.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I inadvertently discovered what was right for me, so will suggest it too you as well...go on retreat for a few days, spend sometime assimilating what has happened on that walk before you re-enter your pre Camino life. I have had quiet times after previous Camino's but it needed a near retreat/ solitude time ( not intentionally) after arriving in Santiago the last time to make me realise that was what I had be looking for, how to marry my Camino and Other life together without having an epic longing for the former.

Good luck and Buen Camino

I spent a week in Madrid after my Camino last year. It turned out to be Gay Pride weekend so it was a loud, crowded, party atmosphere. Culture shock after my quiet walking thru rural Spain! But I was bummed when my phone camera died right before I encountered a dozen musclebound men in rainbow bikini bottoms rollerblading by.
Firstly, I suggest that you stay in SDC for at least a couple of days to "come down" from your Camino. We have done this twice and it really helps to fend off the post Camino blues. In 2015 we went to Madrid and Toledo for a couple of days each and then flew to Malta for a week. It was wonderful. In 2016 we went to Porto, Lisbon, Seville and Granada for two or three days each and then continued on to Gibraltar. Great places all of them. We were then able to fly from Gibraltar to London very easily.

Hi fellow pilgrims,

Elisha
Hi, I probably would look for somewhere to chill. After the CF I'd be surprised if you felt like tripping around. We went to Sagres down the bottom of Portugal it's stunning, and then flew from a Lisbon to Naples and ferried across to Capri and Amalfi. Good timing too you'll beat the tourist hordes

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
First Camino -- Immediately pre-Camino, I moved into a smaller apartment knowing I'd be in the mood to downsize post-Camino. Post-Camino couldn't find anything. Couldn't even remember what I had. Lived out of my backpack for a week! I mean, it WAS my first Camino -- what did I know?!
This Spring, pre-Camino, I walked parts of the Thames Path to get in shape for the Camino. Then found that however beautiful the Camino was in Summer, it was WAY hotter than I'd expected - and no way to get in shape for that! Fled to A Coruña where it was cool and absolutely beautiful! ...and walked 13 km around the city's headland and old town - wonderful!
Buen Camino!

Pre- or post-Camino I can thoroughly recommend Porto, Lisboa, Madrid and Barcelona. Having said that, Paris, Prague, Vienna and Budapest are wonderful also. So much to choose from, and when you travel all the way from Australia you need to make the most of your time.
Buen Camino.

You can plan all you want, but what happens during the Camino may dictate what you do after the Camino.

Let me give you an example. My plans for after my last Camino included Porto, Lisbon, Gibraltar, and Morocco.

During my Camino, I met a wonderful woman from Germany. We met early one morning and laughed and walked together for rest of the day. Then we had dinner together. Then we walked together the next day. And the next. And by the time we got to Santiago, we were in love. So Porto, Lisbon, Gibraltar, and Morocco were out and Frankfurt was in.

First camino I did not know Cupid's arrow stuck until seeing other pilgrims hearts pierced. So, off I go on camino 2 hoping for love. Well, if you can count seven Catholic priests and half-naked German bishop I did meet a lot of men, just not the available type.
So happy your plans were killed via love.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lots of wonderful options above and if you are heading to Portugal can I add Faro. It's a coastal national park made up of a series of islands around a historic town. If you like nature and good seafood and trips in small boats it is fantastic. Plus the storks are resident all year round. My favourite place in Portugal.
PS Public transport in Portugal and Spain is easy to use and economical.

Hi fellow pilgrims,

Elisha
Well, I admit I'm not a world traveller. But after my Caminos I've travelled in Spain. There is so much to see right there in Spain. I went to Granada and saw the Alhambra--incredible! Also I've spent time in Barcelona, especially to see as much of Antoni Gaudi's architecture as possible, including of course, La Sagrada Familia. I'm returning in Sept/Oct for another Camino, this time partly through Portugal. I plan to spend several days in Cordoba (Spain). It's a personal thing, but when I'm not walking and staying in a different place every night, I like to settle into a town/city for several days, enjoy the local ambiance, coffee shops, plazas, parks, etc. Good luck! And Buen Camino!

Coming from NZ we wanted to make the most of our time in Europe for our first camino. Beforehand we spent one week in Paris (lots of walking every day), afterwards one week in London (lots of walking), and finally a week on a canal boat to "wind down" before heading home (I got off and walked tow paths every day!!)
You have lots of options - there probably are no bad ones! Depends what you want to do.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Similar to Kiwi-family above, it's a long and expensive trip from NZ to Europe so I wanted to see places I hadn't previously visited...Camino no 1 I spent a week in London before and a week in Paris after. Loved both. On Camino no 2 I spent a week in Italy afterwards - Florence and Rome. Enjoyed both cities. Next Camino? Don't know - although I have thought of getting off the flight home after the first leg (it usually takes two loooong flights), maybe touring Egypt/Jordan.

In June 2017, we finished our six week Camino and spent four nights in Santiago. Then we took the bus down to Porto (about 3 hours) and spent four nights there. It was a wonderful area to visit with many and varied ways to spend your time. I have already recommended the city to family and friends, and would happily spend time there again. History, food & port, beaches, river cruise, a stunning railway station foyer and other unique buildings, and more!

This lovely event reminds of a couple I met on my last Camino - in their 40s/50s, he from the Netherlands, she from the Czech Republic (their common language was English). They met and fell in love on the Frances and were now doing the VdeLP together. Maybe there is an advantage to walking a more populated Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
See Barcelona, the Sagrada Familia may be a tourist honey pot but it is indeed awe-inspiring, also visit the less famous Palau de La Musica Catalana. Madrid has to be on your list because of the Prado. I have visited many art galleries and museums and none made such a lasting impression on me as this one. Spend time in Porto, travel up the Douro, sample the food and experience the friendliness of the Portuguese people. After my last Camino I detoured to visit Segovia and its World Heritage Site Roman aqueduct, but definitely Barcelona and Madrid's Prado. in addition the TGV train from Barcelona to Paris is a fabulous journey. Buen camino!

Ah @SEB thank you for that post - for the last six months I've been trying to remember the name of the Palau de la Music Catalana! Going to a concert there was one of the highlights of our trip to Barcelona. We went because it is the only way to see inside this incredible building, and the concert itself was fantastic and a great way of feeling part of the local milieu.

Ah @SEB thank you for that post - for the last six months I've been trying to remember the name of the Palau de la Music Catalana! Going to a concert there was one of the highlights of our trip to Barcelona. We went because it is the only way to see inside this incredible building, and the concert itself was fantastic and a great way of feeling part of the local milieu.

Hi Kanga, there are guided tours daily (check the latest info) in various languages and preceded by a very informative film about the building of the Palau, but I have to envy you having attended a concert there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, I think we'd missed the tour. Or could not take it for some reason or other. But it was so much nicer to go to a concert anyway.

We spent a few days in Barcelona and I didn't enjoy it, I wish we had spent those extra days on the Camino. I can understand why they hate the tourists. In my experience the entire city became a huge tourist trap. Unless you're really into architecture or rubbing elbows with people I don't recommend...

We
Hi fellow pilgrims,

Elisha

We went pretty much straight home after we spent about 4 days in Santiago. Oh-- we did have a day long stop over in Iceland-- I got a wonderful massage at the Blue Lagoon.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Firstly, I suggest that you stay in SDC for at least a couple of days to "come down" from your Camino. We have done this twice and it really helps to fend off the post Camino blues. In 2015 we went to Madrid and Toledo for a couple of days each and then flew to Malta for a week. It was wonderful. In 2016 we went to Porto, Lisbon, Seville and Granada for two or three days each and then continued on to Gibraltar. Great places all of them. We were then able to fly from Gibraltar to London very easily.
I am thinking about visiting Gibraltar, in early July, after my Camino. Did you enjoy it? How much time should I spend there?

Don't discount Malta as a post Camino destination . A truly exquisite jewel complete with the nicest and most welcoming people imaginable .
( I am of course biased in the extreme) .

1st Camino (Frances): Porto, then Fatima. Flew out of Lisbon. Second Camino (Portuguese): Madrid, then Paris. After going half-way across the world, why not?

I gave myself 7 weeks to walk and then see Spain After the camino I took the train back to Madrid and then on to Granada by bus for a couple of days, by bus to Tarifa and then by bus to Cordoba and back to Madrid by train. Travelling by bus was fun, and I absolutely loved Granada, Tarifa and Cordoba, lots to see and do and had time to rest up.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back