• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What did you forget?

Deacon Jason

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Caminho Português (2023?)
I know this is just my pre-Camino paranoia talking, but for all of the veteran pilgrims:

What did you end up overlooking, either in equipment or logistics, that you wish you hadn't?

I feel like I've read everything on the forum twice, and tried to incorporate the advice, but with a week to go I keep worrying that I'm missing something somewhere.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I know this is just my pre-Camino paranoia talking, but for all of the veteran pilgrims:

What did you end up overlooking, either in equipment or logistics, that you wish you hadn't?

I feel like I've read everything on the forum twice, and tried to incorporate the advice, but with a week to go I keep worrying that I'm missing something somewhere.

@Deacon Jason
If you're like me, it's not the things that you forgot that will be a problem, but the things that you brought because you thought you would need them and then have to carry. Don't forget your money, your passport, your health insurance and your air ticket. Make a list of last minute things, both to take with you and to get done before you leave. Tape this to your exit door so you will not go out without one last look at it. On my last excursion I forgot my walking stick, which was on my list and waiting by the door, because there was a matter of some messy dropping and breaking at the last minute which distracted me. Do your best, then leave it to God.
Buen camino.

My all time favourite for backpacking ; a totally waterproof pouch for all your travel documents .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Deacon Jason

I like walking alone, in my own pace and wrapped in my own thoughts, although, on the CF, there are lots of walkers to walk with, and also those who will attach themselves to you. What I miss, and wish I had were some favourite music. I wish I had downloaded them into my phone, for times when I needed them.

Another thing, I wish I had more of was vaseline. I live in the UK, and baby tub vaseline are cheap, but in Spain, it is expensive, about 6€ for 100g! I use vaselin on my feet (and toes) before I put my socks on in the morning and every 3 - 4 hours whilst walking and I hv only 1 pea sized blister which resolved wt tlc.

I am also glad I brought my kindle as l do enjoy some bed time reading.

Other things things you might want to download are some apps such as Camino Pilgrim, whatsapp etc

Other small items to remember would be some pegs/pins for clothes and a sink stopper.

Buen Camino

@Deacon Jason

I like walking alone, in my own pace and wrapped in my own thoughts, although, on the CF, there are lots of walkers to walk with, and also those who will attach themselves to you. What I miss, and wish I had were some favourite music. I wish I had downloaded them into my phone, for times when I needed them.

Another thing, I wish I had more of was vaseline. I live in the UK, and baby tub vaseline are cheap, but in Spain, it is expensive, about 6€ for 100g! I use vaselin on my feet (and toes) before I put my socks on in the morning and every 3 - 4 hours whilst walking and I hv only 1 pea sized blister which resolved wt tlc.

I am also glad I brought my kindle as l do enjoy some bed time reading.

Other things things you might want to download are some apps such as Camino Pilgrim, whatsapp etc

Other small items to remember would be some pegs/pins for clothes and a sink stopper.

Buen Camino
Thanks! the music on my phone is a bit sparse right now...I'm going to work on getting that and a sink stopper sorted!

@Deacon Jason
If you're like me, it's not the things that you forgot that will be a problem, but the things that you brought because you thought you would need them and then have to carry. Don't forget your money, your passport, your health insurance and your air ticket. Make a list of last minute things, both to take with you and to get done before you leave. Tape this to your exit door so you will not go out without one last look at it. On my last excursion I forgot my walking stick, which was on my list and waiting by the door, because there was a matter of some messy dropping and breaking at the last minute which distracted me. Do your best, then leave it to God.
Buen camino.
Tomorrow shall be list making day. Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had found the perfect band-aids at home for my baby toe and only took one box with me. But I needed to wrap my toe every day. In Spain I was able to buy other bandaids, but I would have been more comfortable if I had just brought more of the "perfect" band-aids from home.

I had also made up excel spreadsheets with all kinds of information on them, but when I got to Spain I discovered that my phone couldn't open excel spreadsheets. So I lived without them and I didn't need them. So you may want to check that your electronics work the way you want them to.

But really, you shouldn't worry. Spain is a great country, with lots of big cities and they will be able to meet any needs you have. And sometimes the small stores, in the small towns, have everything a pilgrim could need.

Buen camino!

I had found the perfect band-aids at home for my baby toe and only took one box with me. But I needed to wrap my toe every day. In Spain I was able to buy other bandaids, but I would have been more comfortable if I had just brought more of the "perfect" band-aids from home.

I had also made up excel spreadsheets with all kinds of information on them, but when I got to Spain I discovered that my phone couldn't open excel spreadsheets. So I lived without them and I didn't need them. So you may want to check that your electronics work the way you want them to.

But really, you shouldn't worry. Spain is a great country, with lots of big cities and they will be able to meet any needs you have. And sometimes the small stores, in the small towns, have everything a pilgrim could need.

Buen camino!
A good point about the electronics...I just got a new phone (broke the old one!) SO I am trying to get it set back up the way it was.

Thanks!

@Deacon Jason

Hi again, one thing, I would suggest for men, is, to bring a belt.... I had lost quite a bit of weight by the time I got to Leon, I had to buy another pair of shorts.... if I had a belt, I would not need to get another pair!

I enjoy my after dinner herbal tea ... ginger lemon etc ... good to bring a mixture of your teas.... !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
They have these totally new things along the Camino called "stores". You can walk in and purchase things you need. You don't need to bring 10lbs of fear in your backpack.

The people of Spain have been hosting pilgrims for over 1200 years. They know what you need and they are prepared for you.

They have these totally new things along the Camino called "stores". You can walk in and purchase things you need. You don't need to bring 10lbs of fear in your backpack.

The people of Spain have been hosting pilgrims for over 1200 years. They know what you need and they are prepared for you.
I'm aware that Spain is a first world country with stores. I was primarily concerned to get feedback on things that people forgot to take or arrange that were a problem or annoyance later. By definition, things easily available at stores for reasonable prices don't really fit that bill. However prices and availability of things are different in different places--thus the question.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm aware that Spain is a first world country with stores. I was primarily concerned to get feedback on things that people forgot to take or arrange that were a problem or annoyance later. By definition, things easily available at stores for reasonable prices don't really fit that bill. However prices and availability of things are different in different places--thus the question.
Upon reflection, my previous reply comes across a bit 'snippy' (what can I say, it's late :oops:)...but I have really tried to incorporate all of the great advice on the forum into my (very light) packing strategy...just wondering what I might have missed or forgotten from that collective wisdom.

My all time favourite for backpacking ; a totally waterproof pouch for all your travel documents .
Thank you for the suggestion...on previous backpacking trips I've relied on zip lock bags for my documents to good effect. I'll probably do the same this time and hope it doesn't become a 'lesson learned'!

Buen Camino
-Jason

@Deacon Jason, I can't think of anything I forgot.
What I've taken (on each Camino) that proved to be too much is another story. There is less and less unused stuff every time, but the 'I-MIght-Need-It' mind is clever and very persuasive.

So trust yourself: the light-weight packing is probably right on. And if it's not, fortunately it's usually easy to find most anything you might need.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My husband left his waterproof backpack cover on our table, but he used a large garbage bag given to us at our first albergue instead. It was very effective, but pretty noisy as it flapped about in the wind and rain! On the flip side we could have left so many other things on our kitchen table!!!!

Favorite music to lift you up, when you feel tired. A belt when your trousers suddenly seem too big. Reflectors when you are walking under the milky way in the early mornings. Duct tape to hold things together, if they suddenly fall apart. Safety pins to hang your washing onto lines in the wind. A small notebook to write down your inner reflections. Compassion and joy. Buen Camino :)

I wrapped duct tape around my hiking poles so it was there when I needed it and so I didn't have to carry a roll of the stuff. Yes, there are stores in Spain, but since my Canadian dollar is worth much less than the Euro, whatever I can take and not buy is important on a financial level for me. (It means there is more money for me to buy cafe con leche, tarte Espanole and tarte Santiago, when I need--yup, neeeeeeeed, um, crave!--them! Hahaha!)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh - and mark your boots/shoes with something! Quiet a few pilgrims walk away in the wrong boots. They really look like each other in the dark of the dawn :)

The combination of really fancy coloured laces plus knotting the two shoes/boots together by their laces with your personal secret knot also helps ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Leaving home last week I thought my pack was quite light. Then I noticed I'd forgotten my sleeping bag. That's no problem as I later bought a liner which is more than enough in the heat. I wish I'd also forgotten my fleece. I can't see me needing it and it's just more to carry.
As long as you don't forget the important things like passport, money,tickets, there's no need to sweat the small stuff. You can buy anything you really need when you arrive.

Last edited:
I remember forgetting a poncho! Actually, that's false... I remembered the poncho, but I forgot to make sure that it was big enough to fit over the backpack, so it was way too small. I also realized that I forgot a pajama! However, this worked out for the best because I learned to sleep in my clothes for the following morning and that was fine. Best of luck to you! Don't forget a hat, and a tiny flashlight for when you're maneuvering in the dark and people are sleeping! Best of luck to you!!

I forgot to keep track of the days while on Camino, which is a wonderful experience and one I highly recommend. However, when the second Sunday rolled around, and most everything was closed and I found myself searching for something to eat, I learned to keep ample eats in my pack, be it only dried fruit and nuts and a can of sardines.

I forgot to keep track of the days while on Camino, which is a wonderful experience and one I highly recommend. However, when the second Sunday rolled around, and most everything was closed and I found myself searching for something to eat, I learned to keep ample eats in my pack, be it only dried fruit and nuts and a can of sardines.
That is a good one to keep in mind, as I am used to everything being open on Sunday in California (though I certainly appreciate it being kept as a day of rest!)

Hi Jason,

Great question, and one that comes back to me as I start to pack my bags for my own trip next week. For me, my last camino was frustrated by remembering to pack the charger for my camera....but forgetting to pack the actual camera! Also, I would recommend taking plenty of painkillers with you...I had one pack of Ibuprofen (around 30p at home) which cost around eight or nine euros at a pharmacy in Spain. Take more than you expect to use, and the rest will be very little in terms of additional weight to carry.

Forgot/choose not to bring a journal both times. I am sorry I didn't. Thought using Tumblr would suffice and it was fine but next Camino I will have my journal. Remembered not to leave my fairly heavy Nikon at home. Glad I had it. My pictures bring my so much pleasure.
In addition to my favourite music, I had some mediation/relaxation stuff loaded. It helped me fall back to sleep when I would wake up too early.
Buen Camino and enjoy.
Diane

Hi Diane,

Some interesting points there....music to help yourself sleep sounds like a good one....I had a couple of nights where I wished I had something to drown out the snoring of my room-mates, sadly, it never happened. Thought about bringing my heavy duty SLR, but I doubt I'd really get the value from the additional weight.

xxx

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Diane I took a very small digital audio recorder. It was so handy to have it 'at the ready' to capture something at the moment. Ended up with many wonderful 'sounds of the Camino' and treasured moments.

Something to ponder, and adds zero weight to your pack:

Save a copy of your important information to some sort of cloud-based solution in .pdf or .jpg format (the most common formats). A simple method is to email all such data to your own email account. Make sure you are able to—and you know how to—access your email from a web browser on any computer.

Imagine you lost your phone, your ID, and all your important documents and you have to make your way to the nearest embassy representing your country. If you have scanned a copy of your ID (passport), insurance cards and other important documents to .pdf and saved them to a Dropbox.com account, emailed them to yourself, or took pictures of them with your smart device and saved them to a Flickr.com or similar account, then all you need is Internet access. In such cases, this will seriously expedite replacement of a passport and allow you to put your hands on any other documents you may need.

Buen Camino!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm with @C clearly and @BrienC :) Passport, bankcard, phone and pics of documents accessible on the internet should they be stolen/lost.
Anything else I forget, either I learn to do without or buy a replacement if it's important ...
I did leave my phone charger behind on the first night of my first camino... Shared someone else's until they finished at Santiago. No-one else had an i-phone after that so ended up having to buy one at Cee :rolleyes:
I needed it for my flight back in those days....
Don't worry and buen camino :)

The one thing I wish I had brought was a light weight rain jacket.

We had quite a bit of rain and I loved my sea to summit poncho and will be bringing it again. What I hadn't planned was a jacket for wearing at night and I only brought a very light weight windbreaker that did nothing to keep me dry.

I know people like to walk with their rain jacket and a pack cover but I think the straps on the backpack would eventually get too wet and that is why I like the poncho. The poncho also allows for a lot of air circulation where as rain jackets tend to hold too much heat in for me which is fine walking around towns but not walking the camino.

I also didn't bring any electronics other than a camera so I will bring a tablet or maybe a phone this time.

We set out a big box in the spare room months before we left and put stuff in it to take as we thought of them e.g. headlamps, pocket knife, spork, tea bags, granola bars, etc. We kept a list of things we thought we'd need and checked them off as we bought them. Something we set out, but in the end, did not pack, was a few packets of instant oatmeal, for early starts or when breakfast at the hostel was truly continental- café con leché and tostada. It would have been good, on more than a few mornings, to be able to add some hot water to and have a little sustenance between the hotel and that first open bar with coffee. IMHO.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh, and one thing to consider about important last-minute stuff: do not count on purchasing anything at all in Spain during siesta time or on Sunday.

On my last camino, I had planned to buy a paper map and a SIM in Burgos before heading out of town in the late afternoon for Santo Domingo de Silos. Of course it wasn't possible! (I had forgotten....)
So I did without the map and the SIM and the internet connection that would have allowed real-time navigation with my phone. :confused:

Save a copy of your important information to some sort of cloud-based solution in .pdf or .jpg format (the most common formats). A simple method is to email all such data to your own email account. Make sure you are able to—and you know how to—access your email from a web browser on any computer.

Imagine you lost your phone, your ID, and all your important documents and you have to make your way to the nearest embassy representing your country. If you have scanned a copy of your ID (passport), insurance cards and other important documents to .pdf and saved them to a Dropbox.com account, emailed them to yourself, or took pictures of them with your smart device and saved them to a Flickr.com or similar account, then all you need is Internet access. In such cases, this will seriously expedite replacement of a passport and allow you to put your hands on any other documents you may need.

Buen Camino!!!
I have scanned copies of stuff on a thumb drive separate from the documents, but putting them on my Google Drive as well is a good idea.

I do all of this but still carry hard copies on my person (and in my bag) in the event technology goes awry.

Save a copy of your important information to some sort of cloud-based solution in .pdf or .jpg format (the most common formats). A simple method is to email all such data to your own email account. Make sure you are able to—and you know how to—access your email from a web browser on any computer

I saved all my airline tickets, train tickets, passport scans, insurance policy, itinerary, etc to iCloud Drive so that I could access them from my iPhone, or from any computer, in case of loss or theft. Google Drive or any other similar service would be great for this.
My son lost his passport 2 days from the end of his month in Europe and was able to retrieve all his info from the emails he'd sent himself and get travel documents to return home in short order.
Always have paper and electronic versions of important documents when you travel!

One thing I forgot to mention . I carry , and always have carried a 'space blanket' for the unforeseen circumstance that might befall me .
Small , very light and frankly capable of saving your own or someone else's life . They are the silver emergency blankets sold for less than $5 in camping stores in case they are known by different names in other countries . One of these will keep an injured walker from descending into shock , keep torrential rain off you , allow you to weather the night should you be caught out somewhere , act as a heliograph to signal air rescue and at the very least useful as a ground sheet .
I recently gave one along with a torch to some lost picnickers , it kept them warm while they walked 12 km to their car on an almost subzero night this June. Their elated phone call the next morning to thank me was all the resolve I needed to never venture out without one .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Journal as pointed out, get contact info from even those you may walk with for a few days. As they will be missed. It is very special to maintain contact with those you meet across the globe. Especially as each of us age.

Medications, both prescription and non-prescription, are items not to take for granted. I have a hormone-replacement nasal spray that is supposed to be refrigerated and I was constantly worried that it would run out, that I would lose or forget it, or that it would lose its effectiveness. I had previous experience where I had problems restocking it in foreign countries. If you have anything like that, I would make sure that you carry a prescription, if necessary, and that you check if it (or an equivalent) is available in Spain. I also missed the availability of Tums in Spain. I suffer from acid reflux and found that the many replacement products I was given in the pharmacies just did not do the trick.

Thank you for the suggestion...on previous backpacking trips I've relied on zip lock bags for my documents to good effect. I'll probably do the same this time and hope it doesn't become a 'lesson learned'!

Buen Camino
-Jason
@Deacon Jason I have used LokSaks on several wilderness canoe trips in Quetico. They are like heavy duty ziplock bags.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

We flew into Barcelona and took the bus to Burgos to complete our Camino last spring. On arriving, I reached into my document bag for the small wallet that held my bank card, credit card and health card only to find it missing! A compartment was unzipped so I was alarmed I could have been pick pocketed. I texted my daughter in California for support, and she looked around my house and car and found that slippery wallet between the seats in my car. All three cards were there. I realized in my excitement to leave, I'd forgotten to zip my bag after my last trip to the ATM. So, on to plan B! I had her stash my cards in a safe place, and thought about a work around. Luckily my husband had his cards, and could access our joint account. I could move money online so we just used his cards.

On reflection, I would check my vital document bag more than once before flying, and I'll never tease my husband about being absent minded again.

Other important essentials I wish I'd brought were a truly effective raincoat, and the What's Appfor my cell phone. I had to buy a cheap poncho at a Chinese store because my lightweight raincoat was not effective. We used Skype to call and reserve rooms but I heard what's app was better. Mostly Skype worked fine with wifi, but it depended on wifi.

My two cents, you can solve any packing error on the Camino if you put your mind to it. And DO check your passport document bag twice!

Things I forgot/would bring next time:
  1. One obvious thing, which I simply left behind by mistake when walking out of the door: my fleece! Thankfully I travelled in August so I was just about alright without it, but that, or a warmish top/jacket, is definitely an item that it's worth taking no matter when you travel...
  2. Less obvious and totally idiosyncratic: a foldable bluetooth keyboard - I tracked my travels on Facebook for my friends and family (particularly my 13 yo son!) to follow, and typing things on an on-screen keyboard was an almighty drag... I know this goes totally against what many people say about the camino, but I did not switch off all digital contact or interaction on my camino and kind of felt I owed it to my son to let him know what I was up to, having left him for all that period. I actually have a keyboard that weighs just 200g and would definitely take it next time...
  3. Another somewhat idiosyncratic thing: a sleeping bag liner. I am acutely sensitive to the cold, and although I had a light down sleeping bag (I ended up taking a Sea to Summit Traveller TR1, which only weighs about 400g), there were a couple of nights when I was very cold and would have have really appreciated a liner. Conversely, some nights I would have appreciated something lighter, though I did have a sarong, which I used instead, which kind of worked for me... but I guess you may not want to use a sarong :D

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Jason! I just remembered something important! Almost EVERY day of the Camino, I encountered bathrooms with no toilet paper. I don't know if it was bad luck, or because I'm a slow walker and got to everything last. Anyway, bringing a role of toilet paper is too cumbersome I think, but I started carrying a small pack of tissues at all times, and it saved my behind (literally) many many many times! I highly suggest it!

And if you need to replace it, just buy a big pack and share it with your fellow pilgrims or leave it as an additional donation at the albergue ;-) Buen Camino, SY

this is not something I forgot.....but a tip I got from this forum and it was something other pilgrims thought was a good idea and wish they had done it.
I made a color copy of my passport and then I laminated it. I kept my original passport in my travel waist band with my other important documents and extra cash. I never took my original passport out or gave it to anyone (some albergues want to see your passport and one even kept our passports and said they would give them back to us later because their was a line waiting to get in, which they did.)
There is a slight chance of something happening to the original passport if it is taken in and out of the travel waist band wallet so many times - so this method pretty much guaranteed my passport would be safe. I just kept my laminated passport in a handy easy to reach place.

www.angie-carter.com/camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I made a color copy of my passport and then I laminated it. I kept my original passport in my travel waist band with my other important documents and extra cash. I never took my original passport out or gave it to anyone (some albergues want to see your passport and one even kept our passports and said they would give them back to us later because their was a line waiting to get in, which they did.)
Brilliant idea! I'll definitely do that next time!

I have scanned copies of stuff on a thumb drive separate from the documents, but putting them on my Google Drive as well is a good idea.
Or email them to someone you trust. I usually leave copies at home (electronically) with my husband.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Forgot my iphone. Left it on the kitchen table. Huge mistake.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.