• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What do guys sleep in

gdb

Hello

I am starting my walk in the second week of April 07 and leaving from Pamplona and have a light weight sleeping bag and was wondering what I should take to sleep in at night - Will I be ok to sleep in a Tshirt and underpants or will I need to take a long sleve top and some sort of long leg underwear to sleep in for both warmth and for walking to the amenities at night (if required) or is it normal for people to be walking around in underpants at bed time or first up in the morning when getting ready - what have other people done in the past and what is the inside temperture at night like during April and May.

Thanks Glen

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used to sleep in just undies and get out of my sleeping bag in the morning and pull on trousers.I'm usually fairly modest but couldn't be fussed on the camino!-mind you many females took great efforts and pains to pull on trousers under their sleeping bags.

so, the other side... what do women sleep in? their clothes? undies? bring pajamas? I assume I'll just sleep in my regular clothes, but wonder what others do.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the response

I have no issue with being modest - I was more concerned with warmth issues as my sleeping bag is only light weight (didnt want to carry a heavy one which would have had better wamth qualities but would weigh a lot more) and a was concerned if other pilgrams would be offended espeicially if eveyone else is wearing full covering sleeping clothes.

If people respond and advise that it is warm enough to sleep in a tshirt and undies and that this is normal and that other pilgrams wont be offended then that will be my plan however if it is too cold or if everyone wears something more than what I propose then I am looking for help as to what I will need to take which will satify my needs and weigh the least.

Thanks Glen

Last year I slept in the clothes I intended to walk in the next day, as I couldn't see the point of carrying extra gear to sleep in. I'll do exactly the same this year.

Some people slept in old tshirts and bike shorts, some slept in underwear, (I did see one person with pyjamas) while others like me slept fully dressed. It really doesn't matter and noone takes any notice. You will see pilgrims in various states of dress/undress and the thing is not to look, or at least pretend you see nothing, and accept everything as normal.

Trudy

I started the Camino after living in hostels for some months, sharing a room with 8 people to sharing a room with 180 (Albuerge in Roncenvalles) did nothing for my modesty

so I just did boxer shorts

as for sleeping bags and stuff, I brought just a ultralite sleeping bag, it was good down to 5 degrees, so I didn't need much on underneith

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No, no, no ... You don't want to believe any of that stuff, deary, deary me. They are just being frivolous with you.

No. You will need good quality, heavy duty 100% Egyptian Cotton pyjamas - striped if possible (and take a good travel iron to keep them in peak condition). Take also a silk pair in case you get invited to stay in a Parador. A night cap is optional, but if worn should be bright red and have a long-tailed pom-pom. For moving from your bed to the washrooms, or outside for a final smoke of your Turkish cigarettes, I recommend a Japanese Silk quilted smoking jacket and Moroccan leather slippers (but no fancy detailing on the slippers - after all, you want to blend in and not stand out).

Take this advice and I can assure you that you will receive admiring looks wherever you stay.

Thanks for all the feed back - I am not sure if I will have room for my smoking jackets however I will just have to wait and see - sounds like a Tshirt and underpants will be more than acceptable.

Regards Glen

Oh, I see that you are Australian? To while away the evening hours perhaps a book on how to play cricket and win? (We give them away free to school children in England).
Enjoy!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello

Although I dont follow cricket I still find your advice most amusing - if I have room in my pack i might pack my hunting rifle and a few hounds so i can go fox hunting of an evening however I do wish to ensure I have space for my dinner suit so I can go out and eat at all the best establisments in town.

Thanks again for you comic relief. I must remember to pack some good humour if I have the available space/weight allowances in my pack.

Regards Glen

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.