• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What do I do when I feel like giving up?

CirrusTheCloud

Time of past OR future Camino
Upcoming, March 31-May 6 2018
Let's just say I've had a rough first day. Firstly, I decided to begin in Pamplona rather than SJPDP as i originally planned. This was based mostly on a hunch, and because I wanted to see the Good Friday procession. From Pamplona I only made it as far as Zariquiegui, in driving rain and discovering that my bad knee doesn't like the weather change, the trails, or the slopes. I know there are bad days and good ones, and I've already planned to bus from Logrono to Leon to cut down on my daily walking, I am afraid of reinjuring the joint with how its doing. And I don't have the time or money to add days to my intenery.
I want so badly to complete the Camino, but a small part of me just wants to go home, ice my knee, and accept that I might not be cut out for this.

Update, April 2:
Thank you all so much for your encouragement, advice, and support. I do have a knee brace that I wear on and off, due to the nature of my injury I shouldn't wear it constantly. I will look into a compression brace though.
I've decided to go as far as Logroño, bus to Leon, and then bus to Ponferrada. In the past two days I made it to Puenta let Reine and Lorca, and I've found that 8 miles is my upper limit, and that I really enjoy being able to take my time. Since I have a graduation ceremony and a flight I have to make, I knew I'd be rushing a bit I prefer this slow pace far more. That, and all the wonderful replies here have helped me come to terms with my condensed Camino. I'll still be making it to Santiago, just with a little help, and that's okay.
Also, I've heard about the bag carrying service, but I'm not sure how it works or how to get it.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Cirrus, and welcome to the forum. A big hug for you :)

Sometimes it is hard to separate discouragement from real physical ailments for deciding what course of action to take; pain and worry about a physical problem can conflate the issue. The question becomes what is occurring that requires me to stop, vs. what is occurring that I can overcome and will not cause me harm.

1. Assess if you have an injury that makes it advisable to stop, go home, and continue sometime in the future. Stopping and resting for a day or two so that you can rest and refresh is essential right now. It will help you gain perspective. During this time, ice and elevate the knee, take anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen), and see if that helps your knee get better. If you need to do so, visit a clinic and get a physical assessment if the knee continues to swell and if pain increases.

Once you have a grasp on your knee issue, this will allow you to focus on your inward self.

2. Remember why you wanted to do the Camino in the first place. Try to separate the underlying issues that are troubling you so that you can deal with them one by one. Are you concerned that the weather will continue to be unpleasant and you feel like you don't wish to keep facing that prospect? Are you feeling like things are harder than you imagined and are concerned that you can't handle it? Are there things feelings of loneliness or homesickness that are bubbling below the surface?

3. Keep in mind that you are not alone in your feelings. I would guess that anyone who undertakes a big challenge and develops physical symptoms and pains will be thinkin as you are. The same holds true when things like a long exposure to harsh conditions occur. When a physical/psychological limit is reached in that regard, taking extra time in a warm, dry, and comfortable place can make the difference between going home and continuing on. As I said above, it gives your body a chance to catch up with your brain and spirit.

4. Camino does involve elements of suffering, deprivation, and mental depletion. It also brings about increasing confidence, the chance to focus on things you wish to strengthen and change, and a build up toward increasing physical fitness. A pilgrimage is a unique experience.

5. Camino is not a military special operations boot camp :). If things are not able to be resolved and you decide, after you have rested up, that this just isn't working out for you at this time, you are able to hold your head up and head back home to contemplate what you want to do in the future with Camino.

Please, Cirrus, post as much as you need here if there is anything we can do to help encourage you, or to help you sort through what is going on. We're here for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Consider a taxi to Puenta La Reina, to save those knees from an unpleasant descent. Allow yourself to limit your days to a nice stroll. Enjoy each day, rest the knees, and you may find that your body adapts. Listen to those aches and pains, adjust accordingly. And then...

If you really really must get to Santiago, consider skipping all the way to Ponferrada instead of Leon and continue the stroll from there.

Hi Cirrus...it can all be so overwhelming...
Do take your time.
There is no shame at all to use a form of transport, take a break somewhere for a couple of days, maybe book a private room for a bit more luxury.
When in doubt about your knee visit a pharmacy or even a policlinic for professional advice.
If you want do pop in here again for some support...
Un abrazo aka a hug.

Last edited:
Since your knee is bad do not attempt to go up and down the Alto de Perdon. You might get a taxi to drive you the 10 km to Uterga where you could stay in the comfortable private albergue for a good rest. See -- www.caminodelperdon.es/

Have stayed in that albergue several times; the showers and meals are great, Internet is available and you can reserve. If you wish they also have private rooms with private facilities.

Then slowly move on to Puenta La Reina.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome! Here are some ideas--

Find some place warm and cosy for the night and maybe take a rest day tomorrow. Have a nice dinner and see if you can find a person to talk with, or just snuggle down into your warm bed and listen to the rain outside.

Sometimes a knee brace can help. Also go down hills on the diagonal, and use two walking poles. Take it easy! Send your pack ahead. Take a day or two off and then take a bus or a taxi to get back "on schedule". Remember that walking downhill is hard on the knees.

The sun will come out sometime!

-- I know it doesn't help now, but there is physical therapy to help strengthen your core muscles so that your knee can work better.--

I wish you a buen camino-

My Dad had a favourite saying, "Listen to advice, but make your own decisions. Only you know your true position." My twopennence worth is make the effort to continue. A pilgrimage is not always a piece of cake and sometimes you just have to grin and bear it. Think of what you will be missing by giving up. Quitters never win and winners never quit. Good Luck whatever your decision................!

Hi
I completely understand where your head is. As do many of us in this forum.
Some days you wake up and feel like ‘YES’ this is the right decision. Sometimes you are depressed.
Try to ride it out. A lot of us have been there.
If you’re feeling it’s too much to contemplate, it is no shame to go ‘say’ to Léon and walk from there.
You wouldn’t be having to rush and you may find being able to swing short days will help your physical problems.
I hope you can keep going

Buen Camino
Annie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You clearly are in training for the walk. Since you can only do what you can do, pull back the distance. If six kilometers is your limit today, then walk just 6 km. Build up. After two weeks, decide how far you need to take a bus to stay on schedule for your flight home. You don't have to do it like others have done it, especially once you have determined that you can't. Good luck making a decision. I know it is tough!:)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I want so badly to complete the Camino, but a small part of me just wants to go home, ice my knee, and accept that I might not be cut out for this.
There are many times in life that we don't quite get things done as we planned, for various reasons! Don't be so hard on yourself. If you don't complete it this time, that doesn't mean you"aren't cut out for it". It just means that things didn't work out this time. Now back to the present - there is some good advice above, about your knee, buses, and rest. Take the bus to Leon and see how it goes! Make the trip an interesting and positive experience no matter how much of the Camino you walk.
Think of what you will be missing by giving up. Quitters never win and winners never quit.
This may be a suitable pep talk upon occasion - but it would often be bad advice! Quitting is often the best thing to do. And, you should not focus on what you might have missed. Rather you should focus on what you have done, learned, and hope to do in the future.

Are you using walking poles? If not they help a lot but you tube how to use them as a lot of folk talk them for a walk, it takes a while to get the flow.
Also consider how much weight you have in your pack, are you overloaded?
Hope it comes good for you. My hips and knees ached a lot at first you do get stronger in the first week but listen to your body if you have an injury.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
C clearly, has given her opinion. Cirrus the Cloud, you've been on the Camino one day and are already considering giving up? You are in the best position to make an informed decision on how good your knee is and what your options are. You haven't said how far you've come to walk this Camino, do you have the resources to come again and make a second attemp? Would you want to? A young girl from Brazil I was walking with from SJPdP gave up after a few days due to knee problems, it will be a long time before she can afford to make the journey again.Perhaps she was wise to give in and not risk permanent injury to her knee. It's your decision and it's your Camino (some people hate that phrase). Good Luck with your decision but my advice is make the effort to continue if at all possible, you don't know what you are missing.

That is a tough walk out of Pamplona. It doesn't seem to get mentioned when people talk about the climbs on the Camino. I'm from flat Toronto area and I have stopped at Zareguique(sp?) both times. The albergues are quite crowded so that might be adding to your frustration. Don't make any decision until you get a good night's sleep. There has been some good ideas given like taking a taxi tomorrow Good luck. When my friend wanted to quit we compromised and chose the things we really wanted to see and bused through some areas. Sending you love and encouragement from my cell phone in a coffee shop.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you are carrying a back pack, consider using a forwarding service and buy a small day pack for daily essentials. Lots of these services available on the Frances route. I assume you already have a knee brace, but as others have stated, trekking poles used properly help immensely. Certainly with the state of my knees, particularly my left one, I can't imagine walking without them.

I am sure no one walks a Camino completely pain free. Certainly I didn't. Certainly all the contact sports I played and a few motorcycle crashes in my foolish youth did not help the current state of my body.

You have to listen to your body. Only you can determine what is a tolerable level of pain. If all you can think about each day as you walk is how much you hurt, what is the point?

A Camino is no walk in the park. I think many often make it seem easier than the reality of what walking one is actually like. It is for most people the most physically challenging thing they will ever attempt. I have met a few people who were walking with all kinds of challenges that made me shake my head with disbelief they were even attempting to walk one, yet they were so determined to overcome.

If your decision is to pack it in, consider a bus tour of Spain and Portugal as I see you have time off until May 6th.

And finally, don't beat yourself up, it takes a lot of courage to get to Spain and even attempt a Camino. A lot of people sit on the sidelines and never even make the attempt.

Do you have a poncho?! A baseball cap to keep the poncho hood and rain off your face and a good poncho is key. Also when I feel down I listen to music, podcasts and now an audible book.

It’s hard to remember all the reasons why your here when it’s miserable and your in pain. I like to laugh at myself and remind myself that I chose to be here. I had all kinds of pain and knee swelling etc from SjPP to just past Burgos. I told some rest days and took it easy. There is no rush, no special medal for finishing faster, longer distance etc. Find a warm alburgue and delight in a hot shower, filling food and company of other pilgrims that had a cold rainy day.

All the advice above was awesome on the injury so I leave it at that. I also totally vouch for trekking poles, great for up and down. For flat they are great when you get tired, I swing them pulling myself along firmly counting 1-10 until I’m in a rhythm and am walking steady. My feet often ache and I slow but I laugh at myself and say if you walk slow it will just hurt longer..this helps me move along. My pace is about 4km/hr not fast at all but when I started I was way slower. It’s gets better!!!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Cirrus,

Days of despair are not unheard of on the Camino. I had a few, also made worse by injury.
You've just been unlucky that it was day 1. And the weather has certainly not helped you :(

Don't be too quick to give up though.

There is lots of great advice above. Take a rest, get medical help, maybe skip ahead a bit, talk to other Pilgrims.....a sympathetic ear can work wonders.

Whilst I would not call myself religious in the traditional sense, I sought great comfort from merely sitting in a quiet empty church and just asking for help and guidance...........it always came in one form or another...... or maybe it just helped me compose myself and gain a better perspective ;)

Here's hoping for some sunshine in the skies above you and in your spirit :)

You're probably asleep by now. It's 10 pm your time,. Maybe after some rest things will seem better and you'll feel able to try another day. Don't think about how many days or kms lie ahead. Just focus on each day as it comes. Get through that day, then focus on the next one.

I hope you get a chance to read these posts in the morning so that you know there are a bunch of fellow Pilgrims all over the World who appreciate what you are going through and send you their very best wishes for the days ahead, whatever they may bring.

Stay strong Pilgrim ;);)

Last edited:
1) Discouragement is very common (if not universal) on the first few days. So you are not alone.
2) Crowds over Easter weekend will not be making things any easier - taking a rest day will allow the crowd to pass on through.
3) Attend to that knee early: Rest - Ice - Compression - Elevation is the formula most frequently cited here in the US.
4) Reduce the knee stress by the methods suggested above: use poles, send pack via transport, shorten days.
5) One of the big Camino lessons is that we are not in control. Welcome to the Camino!

Do what YOU need to do ! Rest if you need to, bus/taxi if that helps. And don't be discouraged - you're doing your best ! Last year, I almost quit, but opted to bus ahead of my companions, and go at a slower rate (one day only 5 km). Was encouraged by a fellow pilgrim who told me it was my walk, no one elses. And she was right. Enjoyed the slow pace and the time walking alone - none of which was in my plan.

Took weeks for my heels to heal once I was home - but, in two day I leave to walk what I bused (and maybe a bit more). My first Camino taught me the wisdom of the saying "Man plans, God laughs". Can't wait to see what I learn on this one !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Let's just say I've had a rough first day. Firstly, I decided to begin in Pamplona rather than SJPDP as i originally planned. This was based mostly on a hunch, and because I wanted to see the Good Friday procession. From Pamplona I only made it as far as Zariquiegui, in driving rain and discovering that my bad knee doesn't like the weather change, the trails, or the slopes. I know there are bad days and good ones, and I've already planned to bus from Logrono to Leon to cut down on my daily walking, I am afraid of reinjuring the joint with how its doing. And I don't have the time or money to add days to my intenery.

Most people have a rough time two or three days in, as you hurt a bit and feel doubtful about it all, realising what you have embarked on. It's very common. But remember, there are no rules about the camino. We thought we might have to give up when we were about 100km from Leon. We were in pain and really struggling. What to do? We decided to catch public transport into Leon and then re-consider. Four days rest and we were back on track, physically recovered and enthused again. That saved our camino. Some purists will say you have to struggle on and suffer, and if you don't walk every step it is against some (imaginary) rules. But it was catch a bus or give up for us at that time. Just do it your way, and hopefully it will work out. If not, there is always another time, the camino has been where for 500 years.

If it is your knees that seem to be the biggest problem maybe you should consider renting a bicycle. That still might be bad for the knees because they are in motion but at least not constantly since you can coast. Also, with a bike the knees aren't getting jarred with each step. If you decide that might be the way to keep on going write us again about rentals.

I can only repeat the encouragement others have already given. Hopefully you are now tucked up in bed and have a good night's sleep. In the morning if your knee is still painful I would encourage you to take a taxi forward to Puente La Reina and stay there for a couple of days (in a hotel or pension of you can afford it). Seek medical advice for your knee, try to acquire a set of hiking poles if you don't have them already (and use them correctly! They only help if you do). And if you find you're able to walk on after a couple of days resting, seriously consider getting your pack transported (wherever you stay they will be able to help you contact the various providers of this service). Even if you only use this option for a few days, it would be worth it to reduce the strain on your knees.

And if you decide you need to stop, then do. As others have said, there is no shame in making a decision that's the right one for your body.

Whatever you decide, Buen Camino and best wishes to you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To answer the question: What do I do when I feel like giving up?

I would think of all the really bad things that I have survived in my life...then I would remind myself that I am not a "quitter"...and also that I was not going to be a "quitter" today...maybe tomorrow...but not today!!!

I had a similar problem in 2014. I was ok going up the Pyrenees but went toes up coming down and damaged my knee. The next day I only walked 15 km from roncesvalles and the pain became intolerable on any of the declines. I caught a taxi to zubiri, met a lady in the cafe who told me about her knees, then went straight to the pharmacy and bought a super duper knee brace that worked a treat. Yahoo, i was on my way! All went well until we got alto de perdon. I slid down the gravel slope as we were leaving. I thought my ankle was ok, however, by the time we got to Manaru my ankle had blown up to the size of a football. I limped to lorca and then caught a taxi to estella, where i went to a doctor. He prescribed 2 weeks rest, so i trained, bused and hitched rides to Leon where i met a wonderful naturopath who used acupuncture on my ankle. It was a miracle !!! I was up and walking within 2 treatments. Between estella and Leon I was always the first in to the albergue, due to public transport, but I still had the opportunity to meet wonderful people, go out for a pilgrim dinner or bar with a group and above all enjoy myself. That was part of my camino! Everyone's Camino is different. I did not get to walk with my friends, but I had a great time!! Get medical advice, definitely get walking poles and look for the things you CAN do, buen Camino xx

I agree with the folks above; get the luggage transfer service to carry your pack, get a knee brace (and/or try taping. You can get kinesio tape at some farmacias). Most of all, please don't beat yourself up. I had to quit a bicycle tour once because of knee problems. The very worst part of the whole thing for me was feeling like a loser. Like if I had been physically and/or mentally stronger, I could/should have kept going. Being fit and mentally strong are different from dealing with an injury. It can happen to anyone of any age or fitness level. Most Olympic athletes are laid up for long periods of time at some point with muscle or joint injuries. Change your plans if you need to, but don't grit your teeth and put up with pain, unless the point of your camino is to be a martyr! Good luck, wishing you well.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Another thing that can contribute or exacerbate knee pain is over pronation of feet. If shoes appear to be rolled to the outside, that is an indicator. A shoe with stability control can really help, and most trail and running shoes have their models with 'neutral', 'moderate', or 'advanced' motion control. And there are insoles which will also incorporate motion control as well. Orthotics will do the same.

We have all had the days. See if you can get a knee brace from a pharmacist. Walk only what you are able to do. It is your camino.

Just sending you a big hug and lots pf cyber support and encouragement.....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Are you using walking poles? If not they help a lot but you tube how to use them as a lot of folk talk them for a walk, it takes a while to get the flow.
Also consider how much weight you have in your pack, are you overloaded?
Hope it comes good for you. My hips and knees ached a lot at first you do get stronger in the first week but listen to your body if you have an injury.
Some good practical advice. As a fellow with wonky knees, poles were invaluable as were some sleeve braces that I faithfully wore each day.

My knee played up big time on that section. I ended up having to stop every few metres and swing it, then walk a few more steps. I thought i would have to stop. After 2 days the symptoms completely disappeared. I get the same thing when i first start on long distances again, not so badly. Lack of training and warm up. Not sure of course if you have the same issue...

Only you know your body!! On first Camino, my companion blew out an old bicycle injury on his knee between SJPDP to Roncevalles. Next day limped to Zubiri. Third day taxi to Pamplona hospital for several ounces of fluid to be drained. He did not quit the Camino, just the walking!! We would agree on a albergue for a meetup; I would walk; he would taxi, bus, hitchhike. By Leon (day 20), he could walk part days, icing the knee for the rest. From OCebreiro, taking it slow, he was able to finish on foot (having his knee drained again at hospital in Santiago.) Not the Camino he planned, but still a great experience.
Last fall, I planned the Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago; too hot for me early so was a touragrino until Porto. From Porto, the cobblestones trashed both of my Achilles even with poles and ankle taping. I quit the painful walking after Sao Pedro de Rates-that last day took 4+hours to walk 6km and still tendons declining; caught a train to Lisbon and headed home to Oregon. I knew enough about tendon repetitive injuries and my old body to push no further. In fact, I probably pushed a bit too far--it has been 6 months since the disappointing finish, and I am just now able to walk 5 miles in a day.

Do listen to your body: there is no rush to make a decision until you have taken some time to acclimate/condition/decide--walk long enough to establish if it is an injury that will improve, or one that won't. Enjoy the Camino and remember you do not have to follow anybody's rules but your own! You can even walk only the flat stretches and bus the hills.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Cirrrus,
Injury? Pain? I am with you. It has taken me two years to return, since Summer 2016 and I did not make it to Pamplona. Quitting is so very, very hard.

What has worked for me is to make my body the priority, no matter what I think, if my body is telling me to stop, I stop. If that presents a problem, use the time to heal and work the problem, find a solution. If the solution is not going to be available on the Camino, yes, it is an even harder decision to go home. If that is where true healing can happen, over extended time, that is what must be done.

The Camino is not going anywhere. It will wait for you to return, and we will help as much as we can, for our part as fellow Pilgrims.

I found I had a knee problem walking just before I went on my first Frances. What I did was to go to a pharmacy and buy a knee compression thingy.

The benefits were immediate and ongoing. Never walk without it now. About 8 quid in the UK from memory. Looks really sorry for itself right now but that simply shows how important it has become to me.

IMAG0909.jpg
IMAG0910.jpg

Praying for you. May the Lord strengthen you and take care of you and give you peace. May he direct your steps and give you the desires of your heart.

@Cirrus - so, two days later, what happened, are you still on the road!??
I had a tough time too, going down from the Pyrenees, and I thank my trusty Leki sticks to ease my gait at the knees...
Stay assured it will get better as you progress and as someone said, avoid Alto de Perdon if you are still troubled!
Best of luck ..

Last edited:
There are many Caminos. If you would like, try doing a much shorter one. The Camino Ingles (English Way) is much shorter and it is The camino de Santiago in full. .....Just a suggestion.

Have a nice dinner and see if you can find a person to talk with

That is really important, on both counts. If you're tired, especially mentally tired, sitting down to a really good meal is massive. When I'm tired, a steak and a big salad is all I can think about.

But also talking to someone is important. One of the most important things is being able to step back and understand that just because the voice is coming from inside your head it doesn't mean it is right. Getting some outside perspective is great.

There is a lot of good advice in the thread. But the one thing I would say is this. The only way to keep going is to keep going. There are no mind tricks, there's nothing that you can say to yourself or do to yourself that will work if you will not physically put one foot in front of the other. Over-ruling what your brain is saying is about a million times harder than just physically walking and if you lead with your body then your brain follows eventually. Assuming you do not have a physical injury then do not forget you can still walk regardless of what your mind is saying to you. If there is no sensible reason for it, when your brain is saying you need to quit then it is lying to you. Put one foot in front of the other and it will just keep getting easier and easier.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Update, April 2:
Thank you all so much for your encouragement, advice, and support. I do have a knee brace that I wear on and off, due to the nature of my injury I shouldn't wear it constantly. I will look into a compression brace though.
I've decided to go as far as Logroño, bus to Leon, and then bus to Ponferrada. In the past two days I made it to Puenta let Reine and Lorca, and I've found that 8 miles is my upper limit, and that I really enjoy being able to take my time. Since I have a graduation ceremony and a flight I have to make, I knew I'd be rushing a bit I prefer this slow pace far more. That, and all the wonderful replies here have helped me come to terms with my condensed Camino. I'll still be making it to Santiago, just with a little help, and that's okay.
Also, I've heard about the bag carrying service, but I'm not sure how it works or how to get it.

Hi @CirrusTheCloud - so glad to hear you're continuing and have found a way to manage the walking. It sounds like you're doing really well and have made the right decisions regarding how far you'll walk.

To answer your question about the bag carrying services, the main ones are Correos (operated by the Spanish postal service), Jacotrans and Caminofacil. I've used the first two and both were good. Correos was a bit cheaper! You'll find that most albergues will have their details (possibly not all) and you can book by phone or online. You can do it the evening before for pickup in the morning, as long as you know where you plan to stay the next night, or you can book a few days at a time. A few albergues I believe won't allow delivery of bags, but hardly any. The Correos booking site is here: http://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/transporte-mochilas.php and you can also email them with any questions (in English) - I found them very helpful.

Good luck and buen (slower) Camino!

I walked with somebody for a bit who was having her bags transferred each day to her next stop. There were little envelope forms available at the albergues; she put some money in the envelope, attached it to her backpack with a rubber band or safety pin and left her bag with the others piled up in the front room, waiting to be transferred. It seemed pretty easy to do. I suppose, if you don't speak Spanish, you could point to the pile of packs you see in the front foyer and shrug to the hospitalero/a and they will show you what to do.

I walked with somebody for a bit who was having her bags transferred each day to her next stop. There were little envelope forms available at the albergues; she put some money in the envelope, attached it to her backpack with a rubber band or safety pin and left her bag with the others piled up in the front room, waiting to be transferred. It seemed pretty easy to do. I suppose, if you don't speak Spanish, you could point to the pile of packs you see in the front foyer and shrug to the hospitalero/a and they will show you what to do.

No need to speak Spanish! These guys have all the booking online now.
Just book online and leave your bag out in the morning with the tag/envelope and fee inside.

https://www.jacotrans.es/en/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Update, April 2:
Personally, I would wear a compression brace. It controls the swelling and supports and stabilises the joint. And in that weather it would also keep it warm. After your walk RICE (rest, ice, compress, elevate. As a pain specialist I would recommend, if your medical history permits, two paracetamol and an anti inflammatory 6 hourly with protection for your gut as well

[/QUOTE] ...Please, Cirrus, post as much as you need here if there is anything we can do to help encourage you, or to help you sort through what is going on. We're here for you.[/QUOTE]

Very well said. Sage advice most pilgrims should hear at some point.

I had a very similar experience in May, 2015, but with my feet. Went to a doctor, got different shoes (Keen sandals), had a rest day, and followed just about all the advice above, including hiking poles. What a relief to use the bag transport! Taking the local bus between some of the towns was a fun cultural experience; at Carrion de los Condes, a woman who got off the bus there took me in hand (almost literally) and led me to the monastery albergue. The Camino path was often in sight beside the road the bus took. I came home from Leon to help my sister make a move across the US, then went back in October to complete the trip and was able to walk more by doing shorter days - up to 10 km. Am so grateful for all that transpired on that walk. Now, I'm planning to go do the Portuguese Caminho in June. Have plane tickets and am collecting stuff, and reading this forum every day. Blessings and thanks to all of you who post here. Bom Caminho!

Why no response from Cirrus after a week? Did she give up or did she heal some place around Punete la Reina and move on? We may never know.
There are so may of these "whoa is me" threads that seriously concerned pilgrims respond to with worthwhile advice which seem to go unheeded or at least never getting a response.
I apologize for not seeing your edit.

Last edited:
Why no response from Cirrus after a week? Did she give up or did she heal some place around Punete la Reina and move on? We may never know.
There are so may of these "whoa is me" threads that seriously concerned pilgrims respond to with worthwhile advice which seem to go unheeded or at least never getting a response. Very sad.

@biarritzdon if you have a look at the original post, you'll see she went back and provided an update by editing that. Means a lot of people will have missed this, which is much more positive. She sounded much more up- beat having made it on foot to Lorca but had decided to move ahead to Ponferrada then proceed slowly from there.

I often think when I see people adding a later "edit" to a post that they may not realise anyone following the thread will probably miss the update, as it doesn't show up as a new post.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Even though we don't know the outcome...I loved reading through this thread. I remember a few hard days on my Camino...but only a few. My advice to anyone struggling on their walk is to stop stop stop for a moment...and look at the beauty surrounding you. Perhaps you are on a road or path you may never see again...go slowly...whatever the length of your journey...and enjoy it. Be in the moment. Most of us are at home sitting at our computers reading this thread and wishing..if just for a day...to be where you are.

Robert Frost would tell you this....
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back