• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What do you carry your stuff for the day in if you've sent your pack ahead?

lendog

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP-SdC Sep/Oct 2015
For those of you that may use a pack transport service, what do you use to carry your stuff in for the day when you don't have your full pack? It seems like I need some kind of day pack big enough to carry rain gear and room to take off or put on layers as needed. What do you do? This is for an October Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can get super light folding day packs that will carry your wet gear and water. These will fold up very small and fit in a pocket when not in use.
Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I actually put my heavier stuff in a "China bag" - a large plastic zip-top bag, and send it with the transport company.
I carry my regular pack, which fits well, with my rain gear, water, and food in it.
Excellent idea! Three weeks into the Francés, due to injury, I had to resort to daily pack transportation, and the little, very light pack that I had brought along for 'evening' use was not up to the task of carrying everything I still needed for the day. Next time I'll buy a "China bag" to have my stuff transported, and use my regular pack for day use.

Last edited:
Excellent idea! Three weeks into the Francés, due to injury, I had to resort to daily pack transportation, and the little, very light pack that I had brought along for 'evening' use was not up to the task of carrying everything I still needed for the day. Next time I'll buy a "China bag."

You can get the China bags in most larger villages and towns in those Chinese markets like our Dollar Stores.
They run €2 to €3 and come in various sizes.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a pack liner anyway, that I can remove and use as a transport bag if necessary.
Am curious .... what kind of pack liner is this? My companion had her stuff stached in somethings that looked like dry bags - the kind one takes on kayak trips. She then put these into her pack. They looked too heavy to me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For those of you that may use a pack transport service, what do you use to carry your stuff in for the day when you don't have your full pack? It seems like I need some kind of day pack big enough to carry rain gear and room to take off or put on layers as needed. What do you do? This is for an October Camino.

We used pack transport and as suggested above, we actually carried our packs with us and sent another bag ahead with heavier items we didn't need during the day. On a long day's walk we just found this more comfortable, as our packs were better fitted and with proper padded straps etc than most of the little light day packs available. Plus we had trained in these, and were used to them - we just weren't physically able to carry the full weight of everything we needed. We still seemed to carry quite a bit though - rain gear, water, snacks, first aid kit, important documents and anything else that would have caused problems if it had gone missing (phone charger!) - although the transport services are very reliable. We actually used a small suitcase as our send-ahead bag - and we also used this as our checked luggage on the plane, as we didn't want to risk checking our packs - anything we couldn't take as hand luggage went in the suitcase, which was just big enough to take our walking poles and other items not allowed as hand luggage. It all worked very well and we were very impressed with the efficiency and helpfulness of the transport service (we mostly used Jacotrans). Being able to do it this way made the difference, for us, between being able to walk the Camino and not.

Thank you everyone! Using an alternate container as the "send ahead" bag makes perfect sense - it hadn't occurred to me.

GettingThere - was there ever a situation where having the suitcase was a liability? Where you always able to get it to your next destination?

Thank you everyone! Using an alternate container as the "send ahead" bag makes perfect sense - it hadn't occurred to me.

GettingThere - was there ever a situation where having the suitcase was a liability? Where you always able to get it to your next destination?

Always - it worked really well. On the one occasion in our 8 week Camino that it didn't arrive (when a hotel staffer offered to call the transport for us and forgot!), the Jacotrans driver was brilliant and actually went back and picked it up for us on his next run. Of course, you do need to have a destination, so you really have to book accommodation ahead if using these services, so they have somewhere to deliver to. That wasn't a problem for us, we wanted that certainty, but it might not suit someone who prefers not to book ahead. All the accommodation providers were very familiar with the system (we used a combination of private albergues and small hotels/pensions/casas rurales) - it is very well-used right along the Camino - and they would have the envelopes to leave with payment, tell us where to leave our bag for collection and/or offer to book for us (I usually booked a few days ahead online, but you can just call the night before). Once we were within the last 100km we often didn't even need to call the transport services, as they just turned up anyway. I would definitely do it this way again - as I said, for us it made all the difference, as it allowed us to walk the Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
....... they would have the envelopes to leave with payment .....

Just a word of warning ..... One very drippy, wet rainy morning, while stopping for desayuno, we saw one of these paper envelopes, with money inside, on the wet floor quite separated from the packs slated for transportation. Fortunately, the Jacotrans driver arrived right then and noticed one pack minus its envelope. The errant envelope was reunited with its pack and all was sorted out (much to the delight of the pack's owner whom we met later). So, it might be an idea to have a few extra ziplock baggies with you to safeguard your envelope in case of very wet conditions.

Just a word of warning ..... One very drippy, wet rainy morning, while stopping for desayuno, we saw one of these paper envelopes, with money inside, on the wet floor quite separated from the packs slated for transportation. Fortunately, the Jacotrans driver arrived right then and noticed one pack minus its envelope. The errant envelope was reunited with its pack and all was sorted out (much to the delight of the pack's owner whom we met later). So, it might be an idea to have a few extra ziplock baggies with you to safeguard your envelope in case of very wet conditions.

That's a great tip. I also always made sure to attach the envelope very firmly. I noticed a few packs which just used a safety pin or something that could easily pull off. I took some string from home (yes, I was a Girl Guide!) and used that to tie the envelopes firmly on. Some of the time I booked online (which involves paying in advance) - they then send you a link to a luggage tag to print off and fill in. I printed a number of these before leaving home, and when I used one I put it in a small zip-lock plastic bag which i put a hole in and tied on firmly to the suitcase. Those were good because I could re-use them - the Jacotrans version (via hike-tech) only asks for your name and phone number, they have the destination details already if you do it this way. Great tip to use the zip-lock bag for the envelopes too though - I'll remember that for next time (and there will be a next time...!)

Always - it worked really well. On the one occasion in our 8 week Camino that it didn't arrive (when a hotel staffer offered to call the transport for us and forgot!), the Jacotrans driver was brilliant and actually went back and picked it up for us on his next run. Of course, you do need to have a destination, so you really have to book accommodation ahead if using these services, so they have somewhere to deliver to. That wasn't a problem for us, we wanted that certainty, but it might not suit someone who prefers not to book ahead. All the accommodation providers were very familiar with the system (we used a combination of private albergues and small hotels/pensions/casas rurales) - it is very well-used right along the Camino - and they would have the envelopes to leave with payment, tell us where to leave our bag for collection and/or offer to book for us (I usually booked a few days ahead online, but you can just call the night before). Once we were within the last 100km we often didn't even need to call the transport services, as they just turned up anyway. I would definitely do it this way again - as I said, for us it made all the difference, as it allowed us to walk the Camino.

Hey GettingThere-
It sounds like that is a good plan. I am currently on the camino & became ill, so I would like to use a transport. I was also wondering if you had a list of the places you stayed as I am having trouble planning ahead right now - it would be nice to have a reference from another walker - it would be very helpful if you're willing to share. Currently I am in Pamplona

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey GettingThere-
It sounds like that is a good plan. I am currently on the camino & became ill, so I would like to use a transport. I was also wondering if you had a list of the places you stayed as I am having trouble planning ahead right now - it would be nice to have a reference from another walker - it would be very helpful if you're willing to share. Currently I am in Pamplona
Hi SunnyCat, sorry to hear you are unwell. Hopefully you can rest for a few days until you feel better. I will send you a private message/ conversation.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.