• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino What do you do when something goes wrong.

ggtree

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis June 2018
Greetings everyone. I have just completed walking from the far south east point of Portugal, all the way up the coast line, Santiago, Muxia then Fisterra. Getting ready for my return to Santiago then home to California when I received a phone call that my husband had a heart attack and was in critical condition. What do you do? How do you get home to the man who means more to you than life itself?

I’m sure this is a thought that has popped into the heads of many pilgrims “what do I
If...? While I sit at the airport and await my flight back home I thought it would be productive to let you know what I have learned.

The Camino provides. First of all, my Pension had perhaps the best internet connection I have seen in all of Spain and Portugal. I contacted my airline and they not only changed the date of my flight from Lisbon to Sacramento but assisted me in getting a flight from the north of Portugal to Lisbon.

I will have to spend 12 hours here in Lisbon for my flight and, since I’m flying first class, I am given Cart Blanche in the first class lounge. I decided to book a hotel and they provided transportation.

Everyone from the airline ticket agents, to the taxi drivers, to the hotel clerks have been so wonder and accommodating.

I guess my message is, please, don’t worry. If something bad happens, there is a reason, and the lesson you will learn will be valuable. What will be will be. Don’t let that stop you from pursuing your Camino. Each day brings new challenges and new learning experiences.

Attachments

• 30D999DD-D225-43FB-98C7-9EBD568C74AD.jpeg
    30D999DD-D225-43FB-98C7-9EBD568C74AD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 94
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good luck with your travels home.
I had a similar experience in 2019. I was walking from Le Puy to SdC, when I got a text message as I arrived in Hontanas that my sister was in the ICU. Fortunately, I had stayed in the region several time and knew the various means of transporation involved to get to the airport in Bilbao. I was at her bedside in Cincinnati in about 48 hours.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Greetings everyone. I have just completed walking from the far south east point of Portugal, all the way up the coast line, Santiago, Muxia then Fisterra. Getting ready for my return to Santiago then home to California when I received a phone call that my husband had a heart attack and was in critical condition. What do you do? How do you get home to the man who means more to you than life itself?

I’m sure this is a thought that has popped into the heads of many pilgrims “what do I
If...? While I sit at the airport and await my flight back home I thought it would be productive to let you know what I have learned.

The Camino provides. First of all, my Pension had perhaps the best internet connection I have seen in all of Spain and Portugal. I contacted my airline and they not only changed the date of my flight from Lisbon to Sacramento but assisted me in getting a flight from the north of Portugal to Lisbon.

I will have to spend 12 hours here in Lisbon for my flight and, since I’m flying first class, I am given Cart Blanche in the first class lounge. I decided to book a hotel and they provided transportation.

Everyone from the airline ticket agents, to the taxi drivers, to the hotel clerks have been so wonder and accommodating.

I guess my message is, please, don’t worry. If something bad happens, there is a reason, and the lesson you will learn will be valuable. What will be will be. Don’t let that stop you from pursuing your Camino. Each day brings new challenges and new learning experiences.

God bless you and your husband.

You managed all of pilgrimage before your heart was hit.

Pray your love pulls through.

Love from SoCal.

Get home safely and buen camino.

For you the camino has just commenced.

I wish you a safe journey home, a soft landing, and send a prayer for you to be reunited with your love.

I walked a similarly devastating path in 2014, and I agree with @nycwalking; the camino has just commenced anew for you, but the strength of the one you have just finished will stay with you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I got severely dehydrated on my first Camino. I ended up, calling 112 and got taken to Ronchavelles. I then decided that at 75 I should turn into a tourist. So I got a taxi to Pamploma. I then got a train ticket to Madrid to do some tourist type things.

When I sat down on the train my son called me to say that one of the students where he was studying has "flipped out" and had a "kill list" with his name on it. At that time he had an armed body guard protecting him.

So I decided that it would be best to quit the Camino and being a tourist and get home, California, as fast as I could. By the time I got back the "problem" had been found and things were rerning to normal.

I would recommend having your cell phone with you and also having some extra cash for unexpected things.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

So sorry to hear this Safe journey home and pray your husband will get better.

You are right the Camino and God will provide. I am glad your transportation worked out. I am well aware of the Cardiac care in the Sacramento Area and your husband is in good hands. I hope the outcome is positive. Our prayers are with you

Bob from Grass Valley

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Camino is a compressed edition of life itself, and can include some major setbacks. I hope this medical emergency has a happy resolution. I'm glad that your journey home has been aided by airline employees and other helping angels. Best wishes to you and your husband.

Thank you for those encouraging words. I have said prayers for you both at this difficult time, and wish you both well.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

May your way continue to be smoothed, and may your heart be comforted. I expect by the time I am reading this you are at least on your way. Sending my best and warmest wishes for your trip, and most of all for your. husband's health. Love and blessings!
Jane

A virtual hug will have to do when the distance is so great.

As I read through your post after reading the title to the Thread, your real life situation provided some inspiring guidance for dealing with unexpected life emergencies. It takes no small emotional effort to be able to compartmentalize feelings of panic and anxiety and desperation, in order to implement a plan to get back home.

My prayers and thoughts are on you and your husband. As things unfold, my wish is that healing and health returns to your husband, and that in the passing days you and your family are given the strength you need.

May God be with you and your family; and here on earth, you know that you have friends on this Forum who sincerely care about you.

Dave

Last edited:

€83,-

🙏🏻🙏🏻

I am hugging you, ggtree, from Pennsylvania! Know that each and everyone of us are with you in Spirit as you make your way home. Please, if you have the psychic energy, keep in contact with us! We are here for you and will enfold
you in prayer!

I had a similar thing happen while walking the Norte in 2019. My mother had a severe stroke and it took a drive by our casa rural owner, two trains, three flights and an Uber to get to her bedside in hospital in Phoenix. Everyone along the way could not have been more helpful, including my airline (Air France).

My very best wishes for your husband's complete healing and recovery, and for you, a safe journey home and the strength and energy to assist him in the days and weeks going forward.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back