• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What Do You Do When You Are Not Walking?

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I think it's fun to know what people do when they're not walking?

I do watercolor and I also repaint Bratz Dolls, taking off their makeup and turning them back into little girls. Here is one example.

29381mp.jpg

You can see more on my blog at
http://frecklefarmdolls.blogspot.com/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Historical reenactment ...I make a good deal of my kit. I get teased by male friends for my hand sewing skills, but find it very therapeutic! As a teacher, I love teaching my world history class in the persona of a person from the time we're studying.Lloyd-Living History.jpg

four paintings - statue lobby.jpg

painting and gardening --- and watching brit murder mysteries while lace crocheting (spelling?)

photo 1.JPG
and since i am not a trust-fund baby, i also actually have to procure a paycheck on a regular basis :)

FullSizeRender_5.jpg

Attachments

• desert walker.jpg
    desert walker.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 4
  • mystical being.jpg
    mystical being.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 4
  • spiral imperfetto i.jpg
    spiral imperfetto i.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 4
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 4
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 6
A selection of Camino Jewellery
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
IMG_1615.JPG

Often, I'm working outside, which I love: gardening, mowing the lawn, collecting eggs, walking the animals.

Now that I will be retired, I'll be doing more hikes at Silver Falls and Tryon Creek!

I also play piano (mostly classical), maintain a large home, cook, and keep in touch with wonderful family and friends.

Love those rolled hay bales. I never saw those until I came to Oregon. In California we baled it in rectangular bales.[/QUOTE

We usually make rectangular bales, and these round bales are from my neighbor's place next door. My files were too large!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Keep in mind that I'm leaving on June 28th for SJPdP, so everything I read here is flavoured with dreams of and planning for my upcoming journey. I thought the OP brought her Bratz dolls and craft equipment with her on the Camino...to work with "when she wasn't walking." I wondered how many pairs of panties and socks stayed at home to make room for her Bratz passion along the Camino?!

I think I need help. :) I remember how pregnancy compromised my reading ability. Apparently so does Camino planning.
~Penny

Keep in mind that I'm leaving on June 28th for SJPdP, so everything I read here is flavoured with dreams of and planning for my upcoming journey. I thought the OP brought her Bratz dolls and craft equipment with her on the Camino...to work with "when she wasn't walking." I wondered how many pairs of panties and socks stayed at home to make room for her Bratz passion along the Camino?!

I think I need help. :) I remember how pregnancy compromised my reading ability. Apparently so does Camino planning.
~Penny
:):)

Copy50.jpg I loved the architecture and stone-work we saw when we were on Camino, so when we came home, I decided to do something with the bank behind our house (the one I hate to mow). It is still a work in progress, but I am currently working on the wall behind this one. Kind of stepping up the bank.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well I'm an all year sea swimmer and particularly love 'lepping' into the sea or indeed any body of water. This 1st image is of a lovely jumping and diving rock on the coast of Donegal and the 2nd is The Forty Foot at Sandycove in Dublin the location of my daily dips.

Attachments

• 1003319_683890404960775_531230866_n.jpg
    1003319_683890404960775_531230866_n.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 10435615_1076070235742788_1631945551161550189_n.jpg
    10435615_1076070235742788_1631945551161550189_n.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 17
And that's the BIG question for me! I don't know what I'll do when I stop walking. I sold my house in Alabama to RV the country for a while, then at the beginning of my journey my little sister was diagnosed with stage 4 gastric cancer. So I sold the RV and spent 6 months taking care of her every day until she died. I am now an old homeless woman who needs to decide what to do, thus the Camino. I will magically figure out my future as I walk, right?
I have observed that everything in my life happens along at the correct time and in the correct place, it is up to me to see what is there and accept it. When I return (if ever....) from my Camino, I want to keep that deep holy feeling of love and honor for my fellow humans and for our natural world in my daily life.
Perhaps I will roll hay or build a stone wall too. Or maybe I'll just build an Albergue and invite you all to visit!

And that's the BIG question for me! I don't know what I'll do when I stop walking. I sold my house in Alabama to RV the country for a while, then at the beginning of my journey my little sister was diagnosed with stage 4 gastric cancer. So I sold the RV and spent 6 months taking care of her every day until she died. I am now an old homeless woman who needs to decide what to do, thus the Camino. I will magically figure out my future as I walk, right?
I have observed that everything in my life happens along at the correct time and in the correct place, it is up to me to see what is there and accept it. When I return (if ever....) from my Camino, I want to keep that deep holy feeling of love and honor for my fellow humans and for our natural world in my daily life.
Perhaps I will roll hay or build a stone wall too. Or maybe I'll just build an Albergue and invite you all to visit!

Your waters run very deep. I think we may be in the company of angels. I would carry your pack for awhile for what you did for your sister.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Historical reenactment ...I make a good deal of my kit. I get teased by male friends for my hand sewing skills, but find it very therapeutic! As a teacher, I love teaching my world history class in the persona of a person from the time we're studying.View attachment 19085
I wish my highschool history teacher had been as cool as you... mine was the stereotypical 'blah-blah-blah'er with a voice like a duck. :rolleyes:

~Penny
I am also leaving SJPdP on the 2 July need to get back on the Camino, having Artist block at the moment,need to find some new inspiration somewhere along the way, as I spend my time when not
Walking, at home Painting/Sculpting some Handycrafts and Gardening
.Autumn Leaves-no 2(mixed medium on canvas~2012).JPG Family unity(clay on wire~1998).jpg Sensual flow(breeze blocks~2009).jpg Rear-2.JPG

Attachments

• Mural(acrylic paint~2007).jpg
    Mural(acrylic paint~2007).jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 10
I'm really enjoying this thread. It makes me even more excited about the people I'll meet along the way when I walk this summer.

I make art, teach, practice yoga, hang out in parks, write, wander, travel, and eat ice cream.
These are a couple of my paintings.

01.ExistentialWallpaper.jpg 02.ProgressionInBlue.jpg

And... like the movie, "on really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion." Haha. I get the feeling that a few of you may appreciate this one.

I'm really enjoying this thread. It makes me even more excited about the people I'll meet along the way when I walk this summer.

I make art, teach, practice yoga, hang out in parks, write, wander, travel, and eat ice cream.

View attachment 19271 View attachment 19272

And... like the movie, "on really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion." Haha. I get the feeling that a few of you may appreciate this one.

I like your art work...the black silhouette on blue night sky is especially enchanting to me.

"I can learn to love and make love...and go salsa dancing with my confusion.." lol, great stuff!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mostly I am too busy teaching my primary school class to do anything much else- but when I go walking I generally carry my camera. Here are some photos I turned into a calendar as a present for various friends and family.
Margaret

My day job is caring for guests here at our bed and breakfast in the Champagne region of France where a pilgrim shell hangs at the door marking the way for those in the know. At first light each morning I look at the sky thinking what a day for walking!
Thus recalling past caminos while dreaming of another I set the breakfast table for our guests.

View attachment 19271 View attachment 19272

Hi LizziM lovely colours in your abstract art piece, powerful work

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back