• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What do you do when you're not walking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I enjoy learning about the people I chat with in these forums.
I thought it might be fun to see what people do for fun when they're not walking the Camino?
Here is what I love doing ... watercolor and color pencil pet portraits.
What do YOU do?

Mods, if this is not ok, feel free to delete it.

Attachments

• LEO Final Portrait.jpg
    LEO Final Portrait.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 87
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Walking for fun at home on regional walks.
Meeting friends.
Reading.
Cooking and baking.
Moments of serious binge Netflix watching.
With our quiz team to local quizzes.

Edit : I work 80 percent, have the Wednesdays off.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Annie, I have followed your website "Annie's Simple Life" since I discovered the link on one of the forum's bedbug threads in 2015. As I recall I went back to read everything you'd written and I learned so much, not only about bedbug prevention, but also about all the many different foods in Spain, complete with photos and everything else inbetween relates to the Camino.

You are a gifted artist, handi-crafter, sewer, recycler, upcycler, and you have canned many fruits and vegetables. You are also frugal and can make practically anything out of almost nothing! I have so admired your creative mind, energy, and the patience it takes to see your many adorable creations from start to finish.

And now you have "Annie's Van Ventures", and I've enjoyed following you as you have re-inVANted yourself in yet another direction.

So, what do I do in my spare time for fun? Since retiring, I meet up with friends/family for coffee or lunch, walk local trails, try new recipes, I do some traveling to beautiful places, go to Gulf Shores for 2 months in winter to bike and walk the state park trails to prepare for my next Camino, and I relax by sitting on my duff viewing this forum on and off during the day if I'm at home.

As for fun projects, I have several bags of shells and wine corks sitting in my basement for the last few years, waiting for me to do something creative and clever with them...maybe tomorrow I will. ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am a nursing professor and spend a lot of time at work teaching prospective nurses and conducting research projects. When I can get away, Phil and I love backcountry hiking, camping, and generally getting out of cell phone range (easy to do here in Idaho.) We also volunteer at a local food pantry some Saturdays.

Phil is retired and has more free time so he is going to Santiago to study Spanish the month of November. He will attend a couple of workshops in early December (one in Ponferrada and one in Javier) and then we'll meet at Granon in mid-December to serve as hospiteleros. Phil will get some pilgrim walking time on weekends and between conferences and we'll walk together in early January until I have to go back to work.

Figuring out how and when we can get to Spain for walking and volunteering has become a big part of our lives.

I thought it might be fun to see what people do for fun when they're not walking the Camino?
What do YOU do?

Mods, if this is not OK, feel free to delete it.

I work............usually 6-7 days a week.
Sometimes I'll have a day off at the weekends and do some gardening.
I own a number of small businesses that take all my time sadly. They always have.
Partly I guess I'm a workaholic. Partly its a sense of duty to ensure others have a job.
Mostly its to pay the bills.

It's not through choice. I would retire if I could.

I only mention this to explain why I don't have hobbies or pastimes.

Yea I know............I should see a shrink! :oops:

So imagine when I discovered the Camino!

It's the only time I actually get away from work, don't think about work, and can do something for me :)

I'll try to walk one every year whilst I can, it keeps me sane ;)

So what I do I do when I'm not walking Caminos?
Working or planning the next Camino !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Growing fruit, vegetables and flowers.
Listening to the music of Jordi Savall/Hesperion XXI
Meeting up with Camino friends in France (this year in Nantes to see Le Grande Elephant
or Amsterdam last year (below is 'Elvis' the cockatoo who lives in the Central station café there)
Enjoying nature including the birds, badgers and red squirrels who come to visit every day
squirrel close up.jpg IMG_0701 (1).JPG IMG_0369 (1).JPG IMG_0649 (1).JPG

I sing :)

I travel across France and sometimes into Spain and Italy singing at weddings and corporate events and we also sing weekly on one of the cruises that dock in Bordeaux.

and I walk a bit too :cool:

(Ps great artwork!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My life is simple. Retired for many years after working in 100 % employment for more than 40 years. Living out in the country in the north of Norway where I am happy to be able to walk or skiiing in hills around every day.
Perhaps planning a next year camino or what I might do if I find out I am too old for a new¡

What do YOU do?

That's a nice painting!!!

I'm dreaming about old and researching hopefully upcoming Caminos. But since I'm without work (= money) as a freelance film and TV director for some time now I spend my time at home taking care for my dad, cooking, do some gardening, piling firewood, drying apples/pears/plums/walnuts (that's almost over now), trim lawn and hedge etc.

Otherwise reading the forum, watching TV series, reading books, selling discarded or old things at "on-line flee market" (same as Craig's List in USA), thinking how to get some funds for my next Camino and so on ;)

Nothing special.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
That's really great work. Do you take commissions? :)

No, I haven't yet, though I'm thinking of putting up a website in the Spring. All of my work so far has been for friends and family.
I also sold my house to my son last year and bought a van and I've been exploring the Western USA. I did old Route 66 across CA and AZ this summer and hope to do NM in the early spring.

Last edited:

I'm dreaming about old and researching hopefully upcoming Caminos. But since I'm without work (= money) as a freelance film and TV director for some time now I spend my time at home taking care for my dad, cooking, do some gardening, piling firewood, drying apples/pears/plums/walnuts (that's almost over now), cut lawn and hedge etc.

Otherwise reading the forum, watching TV series, reading books, selling discarded or old things at "on-line flee market" (same as Craig's List in USA), thinking how to get some funds for my next Camino and so on ;)

Nothing special.
Kinky, you keep busy and are very productive. There's "something special" in many of the things you do. And your time spent on the forum helps many people with your insight and good advise. And taking care of your father trumps it all. :)

Love your work Anniesantiago! I agree with Camino Chris Kinky. You have a positive influence you have on the people you connect with on and off forum. As for me I volunteer for an aeromedical rescue organisation, cross stitch, read avidly on this forum and anything Camino related, learn Spanish, plan my Camino in 2019, play lawn bowls (not very well) and avoid housework whenever possible! LOL!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I love making things - sewing, knitting, cooking.... Growing stuff, too. My garden (just to keep it sort of ‘tame’) and my allotment (for the fruit and veggies) take a lot of my time.
I came to walking late, my first passion was sailing but I don’t do that any more. Still got to sell my boat though o_O
So as not to think about it too much, I go out walking! Or I spend hours planning new Caminos :D
Nice thread btw, it got me thinkin’ ‘what do I do with my time?!’
Truth is, I waste a lot of it! ;)

Love your work Anniesantiago! I agree with Camino Chris Kinky. You have a positive influence you have on the people you connect with on and off forum. As for me I volunteer for an aeromedical rescue organisation, cross stitch, read avidly on this forum and anything Camino related, learn Spanish, plan my Camino in 2019, play lawn bowls (not very well) and avoid housework whenever possible! LOL!
Hahaha, thank you. As a matter of fact I like housework much more than those traditional "masculine" works although I can change the light bulb without three others turning the ladder in circles ;)

Besides planning my next camino, I garden in the warm seasons, volunteer in a number of organizations in our area (Mohawk Trail Concerts, Mary Lyon Foundation, The Art Garden and more...also work as a clerk during elections -- remember to VOTE everyone!), do lots of drawing, and walk, walk, walk. In the cold season Wes and I travel in our converted passenger van (took out the back seats, built a wooden box for a bed, mattress on top and storage underneath) and drive cross country from Massachusetts to warm places in the southwest, especially New Mexico. And follow the forum daily!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
How interesting, I also waste as much time as possible, avoiding housework. I love semi retirement after 40 yrs permanent teaching...in the last 4 years I've done 3 Caminos and this year I joined this forum, and am researching next year's one. I have a new granddaughter, love gardening, movies with friends, walking the 30 klms of beaches on the sunny Gold Coast, Aus.
Love

In between caminos I'm a knitting fool...knit doggie sweaters ( all proceeds donated to a rescue ) , knit baby sweaters ( all proceeds donated to local church group that supports young mothers ) , knit on average 300 pairs of children's slippers a year ( donated to Boston Children's Hospital ) ...I flip/remodel houses with my son, volunteer teaching personal safety to elementary school children grades K-8 with a cirriculum I developed a few years ago. I give presentations on the Camino to all size groups several times a year, and still work part time after retiring, doing Emergency Psychiatric Evaluations for children/adolescents in Crisis... I keep busy...lolScreen Shot 2018-10-13 at 7.38.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-13 at 7.39.22 PM.png

I like to look at new wrapping paper.

We really do need a "Hahaha!" button!

One thing a lot of us seem to have in common is gardening. I think that's one of the things I miss most about selling my house. But I'll get another garden someday.

Lots of talented people on here!
I LOVE the doggie sweaters! :)

In between caminos I'm a knitting fool...knit doggie sweaters ( all proceeds donated to a rescue ) , knit baby sweaters ( all proceeds donated to local church group that supports young mothers ) , knit on average 300 pairs of children's slippers a year ( donated to Boston Children's Hospital ) ...I flip/remodel houses with my son, volunteer teaching personal safety to elementary school children grades K-8 with a cirriculum I developed a few years ago. I give presentations on the Camino to all size groups several times a year, and still work part time after retiring, doing Emergency Psychiatric Evaluations for children/adolescents in Crisis... I keep busy...lolView attachment 47468View attachment 47469
Wonderful stuff! I'm worn out just reading about all your various projects! :)

In between caminos I'm a knitting fool...knit doggie sweaters ( all proceeds donated to a rescue ) , knit baby sweaters ( all proceeds donated to local church group that supports young mothers ) , knit on average 300 pairs of children's slippers a year ( donated to Boston Children's Hospital ) ...I flip/remodel houses with my son, volunteer teaching personal safety to elementary school children grades K-8 with a cirriculum I developed a few years ago. I give presentations on the Camino to all size groups several times a year, and still work part time after retiring, doing Emergency Psychiatric Evaluations for children/adolescents in Crisis... I keep busy...lolView attachment 47468View attachment 47469

And what do you do in your spare time?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
love love love the baby sweater! I too knit like a crazed woman. Am actually tucking a project into my pack - leaving in two days!!!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I live in the middle of nowhere, often marooned by flooding in winter. My home library, which I have no intention of decluttering, contains several thousand volumes, so I never lack something to read - specially important during periods of house arrest. When I’m not reading I’m trying to persuade reluctant university students to read more. When I’m doing neither of these things I’m attempting to reclaim a formerly productive garden that the Camino has caused me woefully to neglect. And when I’m not travelling to Spain I go to Amsterdam to see my grandchildren and enjoy a rendezvous with Elvis the parrot in the Grand Cafe on Centraal Station. Maybe I’ll see @SEB there too on my next visit.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Having been retired for 12 years I really don't know how I found the time to work.
My time is spent walking ( I try and walk everyday when I'm home at least 6 miles)
My OH and I have a narrow Boat so we tend to spend a lot of time cruising the waterways.
I also like to play around with wood, turnings the thing for me at the moment.
Planning the next camino and researching new equipment, you can never have enough.
Oh nearly forgot, I waste (not my words) too much time browsing the forum.
Then its bed time.

What do YOU do?

Suppose I am probably boring. I like going out for a walk in the local park or up the local hill. During the summer, I love going on a cruise or two and indulging in good food, cocktails and seeing places on my bucket list. And when the weather is not great I can be found reading the latest topics on here and a load of camino groups on facebook. I have written two books on my camino experiences on the walk and in between walks. Sometimes I like to drive down to the local shoreline and just sit there watching the waves and passing ships. I also take a lot of photographs but most are useless :D. I also enjoy buying and drinking wine, helps keep the camino withdrawal symptoms at bay

I start everyday with my coffee and this forum.
I retired last winter, which means that I have gone back to work. My husband and I are avid cyclists. I enjoy going to the gym (I sent blessings to my trainer as I walked up to O'Cereibo). I love gardening. I've decided that sewing is my creative outlet and I get a huge kick out of buying over-sized garments and trying to remake them to fit me. Other than my husband, my next love is my kayak, which I use to paddle over to Butchart Gardens, where I have a coffee in the Italian Garden.
I've thoroughly enjoyed getting snippets of other's lives. Thanks everyone!

What a nice idea Annie! I have enjoyed reading about the members of this wonderful community.

I practice Ashtanga yoga (Mysore style) most mornings, spin, walk along the beach and dune area near my home, help monitor a Camino Facebook page, read Forum posts, (binge) watch Netflix series, practice Vipassana meditation and read. Oh yeah, I also volunteer as a Hospitalera.

To finance my Caminos I teach childbirth education classes to international couples, give anatomy and therapeutic Yin Yoga workshops and until recently worked as a physiotherapist and acupuncturist in a private practice.

I guess that you could say that I am now semi-retired. We will see what the future has in store for me.

I am a nursing professor and spend a lot of time at work teaching prospective nurses and conducting research projects. When I can get away, Phil and I love backcountry hiking, camping, and generally getting out of cell phone range (easy to do here in Idaho.) We also volunteer at a local food pantry some Saturdays.

Phil is retired and has more free time so he is going to Santiago to study Spanish the month of November. He will attend a couple of workshops in early December (one in Ponferrada and one in Javier) and then we'll meet at Granon in mid-December to serve as hospiteleros. Phil will get some pilgrim walking time on weekends and between conferences and we'll walk together in early January until I have to go back to work.

Figuring out how and when we can get to Spain for walking and volunteering has become a big part of our lives.
Would love to know how you go about being a hospiteleros!

In addition to what I put so briefly... when in normal mode, i enjoy walking every day. Right now am nursing a knee, but it is responding - the good news for anybody with fluid on the knee is that if you do what you are told it does go away. I love catching up with friends and relations, and reading, and cooking, and even cleaning the house. i also still have a wee bit of helping people with learning to read. I must also enjoy having a very messy intray as it never gets sorted, although generally speaking I can find essential documents, both on the desk and the desktop... and I absolutely love to see other people happy. So many people walking around with stress on their faces... and then: too much time checking in to this forum! Could be worse. I join those who have been loving the contributions. It is a virtual albergue as has been said, so it is very nice to be invited to share what is behind the few or many words we post in the various threads. So, hats off to you, anniesantiago!

Loved the little shops along the way that sold beautiful yarns/wool... I often wished I had my needles in hand at the end of some days
Sophie, I think you wanted to have the knitting needles at the end of the day so you could poke the person who was spraying so much lavendar oil in the albergue! :p

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Nice question indeed. I am a freelance writer/researcher (mainly on human rights and security issues) & caregiver for my dear mum. Apart from that I am bit of a couch potato, enjoying reading, and watching football. Exciting times ahead, the Dutch just beat the allmighty Germany 3-0. Which I am so excited about, I just want to share with you all:) (way off topic, I know)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I work as a teacher for German as a a foreign language.
In my spare time, I play the saxophone in various ensembles and an amateur big band, and sing in a choir.
Every day I read "Yesterday's new topics" to get my daily dose of Camino.
I also enjoy photography.

I can't go past researching the camino(s). I have so many lined up, I can't decide which one to go on to next!

otherwise I am a member of a medieval society and do lots of research about middle ages. my preferred topics at the moment are pilgrims, pilgrimages and nutrition. we just finished laying out an exhibition of three medieval interiors in slovenia's biggest castle (ruin) in celje. I ocasionally still dabble in one of my professions by drawing archeological material or analysing objects from an excavation. I volunteer in a local library. I love going to walks and bringing home tea herbs, mushrooms or berries. chestnuts are the highlight in october. (every october we have a processing 'factory' at home, cooking, peeling, squeezing, mixing and making delicious chestnuts balls. mmmm.)

Last edited:
I work. It pays the rent. I spend much time on this forum hoping I won't have to moderate. (Thank you all for keeping me, mostly, unemployed.) I walk Little Dog and we forage and we pickle, dry, jam or preserve much of that we gather - and some it of we ferment and bottle and drink when its time has come. I tend the Beans and the Spuds and the Brassicas and the soft and hard fruits. I talk to my fish (who go glazed eyed even before I mention camino). I serve my tribe and make observation to the Old Ones and the turning year. I go on long walks with no particular destination (I call those holidays ;)). Oh, and did I mention that I spend a lot of time on this blessed forum hoping I won't have to moderate....

I do family history research. Mainly England and Wales. It's Agatha Christie and jigsaw puzzles rolled into one. Don't know who your great grandparents are? PM me. No charge - it's a hobby! Jill

Simply gorgeous!

Rick Steves camino program is on T.V. just now.

This is another thing I do when not walking: watch, read, forum, or talk about camino as much as possible.

Four years since I've been on the way. This is a sign. I'll be on camino sooner than I think; let that be due to wonderful reasons!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here is how I spend my time, when I am not at work. I am either working with my bees or enjoying a cold beverage, haha. Obviously I do other things, but these are two of the more enjoyable things I do.

34795268_10215262075732540_3511876848202022912_n.jpg17264351_10211597073749781_8320332867700230904_n.jpg

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I'm dreaming about old and researching hopefully upcoming Caminos. But since I'm without work (= money) as a freelance film and TV director for some time now I spend my time at home taking care for my dad, cooking, do some gardening, piling firewood, drying apples/pears/plums/walnuts (that's almost over now), trim lawn and hedge etc.

Nothing special.
Sounds like a good life to me!

I work. It pays the rent. I spend much time on this forum hoping I won't have to moderate. (Thank you all for keeping me, mostly, unemployed.) I walk Little Dog and we forage and we pickle, dry, jam or preserve much of that we gather - and some it of we ferment and bottle and drink when its time has come. I tend the Beans and the Spuds and the Brassicas and the soft and hard fruits. I talk to my fish (who go glazed eyed even before I mention camino). I serve my tribe and make observation to the Old Ones and the turning year. I go on long walks with no particular destination (I call those holidays ;)). Oh, and did I mention that I spend a lot of time on this blessed forum hoping I won't have to moderate....
I believe you did mention that! Sounds like a well rounded existence with time made for the many beating hearts

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What do YOU do?

What do YOU do?

When I’m not dreaming about the Camino, reading about the Camino, or planning my next Camino, I make pottery, clean up at the clay studio,walk, cook, and hang out with my hubby.
I’m a camino addict. I started making the Camino mugs as I was recovering from knee surgery. I feel a strong connection with the Camino.

Attachments

• E657BD09-2D94-4E2B-8525-A21425EA66A6.jpeg
    E657BD09-2D94-4E2B-8525-A21425EA66A6.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 686C2EBD-F01D-4C80-9D78-76FDC4B4D5B3.jpeg
    686C2EBD-F01D-4C80-9D78-76FDC4B4D5B3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 4F3C6FE3-0CAD-4352-B109-335F06844E90.jpeg
    4F3C6FE3-0CAD-4352-B109-335F06844E90.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 23C3D61A-25A9-44E5-9CE3-29B183F9E564.jpeg
    23C3D61A-25A9-44E5-9CE3-29B183F9E564.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
What do YOU do?

Hello Annie,

In no particular order of preference...
Enjoy retirement,
Enjoy wines from around the world
Ditto for food
I walk a bit locally but not as much as I should
I curl twice a week
I cook all family meals
I read (a lot)
Currently planning a Camino walk in England...composed of three trails
1. Clarendon Way (Salisbury to Winchester)
2. St Swithins Way (Winchester to Farnham)
3. North Downs Way (Farnham to Dover via Canterbury)
When grouped together I think this was or may be still is called the Pilgrims Way depending on which book or map you are holding.

I have learned to do nothing at times and be content doing it

Did I mention the wine thing?

Cheers
Jim

What do YOU do?

The Camino taught me the love of walking and I now run a walking group in Yanchep West Australia, not only did I beat diabetes by losing 21 kg but have found I have become more tolerant and care about the health of other people.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I do family history research. Mainly England and Wales. It's Agatha Christie and jigsaw puzzles rolled into one. Don't know who your great grandparents are? PM me. No charge - it's a hobby! Jill

I love genealogy also! Been doing it for years. A few years ago in Wales I took photos of all the headstones in a few cemeter

Q
What do YOU do?

Quilt, sing, play ukulele, surf the net, cook meals, walk the dog, and hang out with family and friends.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back