• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What do You Do with your "Old" Equipment?

Kathy F.

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2013, CF from Lourdes 2015, CP Porto 2022
I've gotten a wonderful response on the thread, "New Equipment Providers?" here on the forum. I've found lots of new places to find wonderful, modern equipment for my next Camino.

But now I have another question. What do you do with your "old" equipment? If you have items that have not worn out, do you just replace them and keep an ongoing collection? Do you sell them? Give them away?

I am slowly creating a collection of items that were useful to me, but over time I realize I don't need them anymore. They are probably still useful to someone, just not to me. Do you just ditch the memories of mountains climbed, streams forded, and prepare for new memories (doesn't everyone anthropomorphize their equipment??). Do you never give up on your equipment? Do you pass it along - how?

What do you keep and how do you de-clutter your camping closet?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I will post them on Craig's List
Donate them to a youth club
Sell them at garage sales
Give them to Goodwill or other charity.
Pass them down to friends/family.

Some selected gear I will keep because it can be used in situations that will tend to be unusually hard on the more expensive stuff. . like leaving the trails to bushwhack a cross-country mountain route through snaggy things that want to rip and tear things, and rock scree that is highly abrasive. These items also are what I will loan to someone.

I have to say that I do maintain a rather large storage area that has shelving and lockers specific to types of gear or clothing to be stored. Since a lot of this stuff is what the manufacturers have allowed me to keep after gear testing, there is quite a number of items that are in very good to excellent condition. I am pondering whether to try and auction off some of this stuff to give the money to a worthy cause, like the Pilgrim House in Santiago de Compostela.

Forget your auction just use a Goodwill Box or other charitable cause's donation boxes, there are so many homeless people who could use any kind of gear used or not used. It's that simple.
Why would you hang on to it when someone else who could use it is in such desperate need.
These are our PSTD war veterans without resources living under bridges, lost and confused and being accused of uncontrolled drug addiction, an affliction they could never be able to afford.
Charity begins at home and I wish to add in "your heart!"

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks, Don for pointing out this need.

I do support the Veteran's center in our area as a volunteer, and help coordinate a twice yearly, three day event for all veterans. These events feature inventories of new, military surplus items like trousers, boots, socks, blankets, thermal underwear, sleeping bags, jackets, and MRE's. We heavily advertise through available public interest announcement avenues on radio and newspaper, and with flyers at locations that homeless veterans hang out at.

During the event we also have a dental clinic staffed with local volunteer dentists and dental hygienists who can treat simple issues and will do in office scheduling for more complicated issues gratis. There is a 'mess hall' type buffet for breakfast lunch and dinner during the event. We bring in VA counselors to help those who need to get into the VA system. There are also other resource booths for alcohol and drug treatment options and booths staffed by members from our homeless ministry shelters that highlight the availability of clean shelter, food, clothing, and basic work/employment orientation and help.

Our center is a day-space for those needing a place to go during the day and there are volunteer psychologists that can be scheduled to come in for mental health counseling. All volunteers are trained in suicide prevention counseling if such a situation arises.

For those who have the inclination, keep this Center in your prayers. This is not a solicitation, so please do not ask how to make a contribution, it will not be accepted. But please locate the nearest such charity to your home, for Veterans or the homeless, verify the quality of their charity, then donate as you are able.

I always get many inquiries if I post camping/hiking equipment or (actually anything) online.

Outdoor activity is the norm here and everyone is looking for good equipment that they don't have to drive to Rei for. We use Nextdoor and Laramie Garage Sale (facebook). You likely have something similar near where you live.

I do support the Veteran's center in our area as a volunteer, and help coordinate a twice yearly, three day event for all veterans. These events feature inventories of new, military surplus items like trousers, boots, socks, blankets, thermal underwear, sleeping bags, jackets, and MRE's. We heavily advertise through available public interest announcement avenues on radio and newspaper, and with flyers at locations that homeless veterans hang out at.

During the event we also have a dental clinic staffed with local volunteer dentists and dental hygienists who can treat simple issues and will do in office scheduling for more complicated issues gratis. There is a 'mess hall' type buffet for breakfast lunch and dinner during the event. We bring in VA counselors to help those who need to get into the VA system. There are also other resource booths for alcohol and drug treatment options and booths staffed by members from our homeless ministry shelters that highlight the availability of clean shelter, food, clothing, and basic work/employment orientation and help.

Our center is a day-space for those needing a place to go during the day and there are volunteer psychologists that can be scheduled to come in for mental health counseling. All volunteers are trained in suicide prevention counseling if such a situation arises.

For those who have the inclination, keep this Center in your prayers. This is not a solicitation, so please do not ask how to make a contribution, it will not be accepted. But please locate the nearest such charity to your home, for Veterans or the homeless, verify the quality of their charity, then donate as you are able.
Thanks @davebugg. Phil and I have also participated in similar Stand downs. Good opportunities for Vets of all economic circumstances to meet and help each other.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Do you just ditch the memories of mountains climbed, streams forded, and prepare for new memories

Thanks to Rick, I finally saw this part of your post. For things that have memories, I will take a bit of the fabric or a swatch from a shoe, or some such and it goes into a sort of scrap book along with a picture and a notation.

There are only three items that I hang onto that have no further use to me:
1. The first 'real' backpack that my dad gave me for Christmas when I was 14. Before that I used his old military rucksack.

2. The Parka that I used to summit Mt McKinley/Denali. At that time, my best friend, Dan, and I were the youngest to summit that mountain.

That parka has the signatures of both Lou and Jim Whittaker. I never cleaned it after the time on McKinley, so it was a bit 'stained' and smelly when I caught them to get their autographs. Jim looked at the parka, took it and quickly signed with the permanent marker I brought in, and sorta grimaced and chuckled, "I remember that smell". I never used that parka again.

I got to know Lou when he was running REI in their glory days; and I met Jim as a silly teenager with stars in his eyes who badgered him incessantly when he showed up at REI or the Mountaineers group. Lou was the one who eventually got me started in backpacking gear reviewing.

3. My original 'real' hiking boots. These were of an Italian manufacture and it took me a year of saving my allowance and working summer jobs to purchase.

Gads, what a trip down memory lane this thread brought to the surface :)

Last edited:
Do you just ditch the memories of mountains climbed, streams forded, and prepare for new memories (doesn't everyone anthropomorphize their equipment??). Do you never give up on your equipment? Do you pass it along - how?
No, I never ditch those memories, although sometimes they seem to escape anyway.🤔 But I don't anthropomorphize my equipment. In fact, I prefer not to become sentimental about things. (I have my fair share of sentimental items, but outdoor equipment is not among them.)

I take pleasure when I can "wear out" a piece of equipment or clothing until it is no longer functional - it tells me that it was a worthwhile acquisition. Then I might remove parts such as zippers or buckles that might be useful in the future, and discard the rest. If the item still is usable, and I might want it in the future, I would keep it. If not it goes to a used clothing box. It is a constant struggle to balance just-in-case items against storage space.

I've still have most of my equipment.

This thread got me to thinking about two of my favorite purchases, the Sierra Designs Glacier and 3 man tents. Nostalgia made me do some web searching. Nothing here really of interest to anyone not a Sierra Designs fan.

Oh yeah, an ice axe is now only used to remove ice dams on the roof, carefully.

Other than shoes, underwear, socks and shorts and shirts to some degree, walking the Camino is pretty easy on the stuff like backpacks, sleeping bags, fleece and rain gear etc. That stuff I still have from all my Caminos and they get reused. The previously mentioned stuff like shoes go in the trash bin or get relegated to duty like wearing to paint or work outside until so worn out they're disposed of. I don't have any sentimental attachments to pieces of synthetic stitched together, despite their history with me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do you never give up on your equipment? Do you pass it along - how?

In order:
  • Mostly it gets kept in the somewhat optimistic view that it will be used again
  • Sometimes. I pass items on to friends or offer it gratis at my local friends of the Camino meeting
  • What is de-cluttering?

No, I never ditch those memories, although sometimes they seem to escape anyway.🤔 But I don't anthropomorphize my equipment. In fact, I prefer not to become sentimental about things. (I have my fair share of sentimental items, but outdoor equipment is not among them.)

I take pleasure when I can "wear out" a piece of equipment or clothing until it is no longer functional - it tells me that it was a worthwhile acquisition. Then I might remove parts such as zippers or buckles that might be useful in the future, and discard the rest. If the item still is usable, and I might want it in the future, I would keep it. If not it goes to a used clothing box. It is a constant struggle to balance just-in-case items against storage space.
I too wear everything until it is unwearable. I think it is because I know it will be comfortable and do a great job in serving the purpose for why I bought it in the first place. Except of course when I walked a camino and had a bad cold and a young pilgrim offered to do some of my laundry. Huge mistake as he washed everything in hot water and must have kept things in the dryer for a few hours! They were unwearable after that. I still brought them home and my wife brought it to the church to give to someone.

The only new equipment I've purchased is boots and went to an ultralight backpack. I've kept the older pack and still hangs proud in the closet. I was finally able to bring myself to throw away boots. If you buy a quality product's they should and have lasted twelve years of walking different Camino's.

We are moving to a smaller place and don't have room to keep everything so I am going through with maximum efficiency to reduce our footprint. It can be hard for some some people to let go, but my rule is if you didn't wear it or use it or need it in the last 2 years then you should give someone else an opportunity to do so. We did camp and hike a lot during the pandemic so I know what we do not use or need any more.

Last edited:
I've gotten a wonderful response on the thread, "New Equipment Providers?" here on the forum. I've found lots of new places to find wonderful, modern equipment for my next Camino.

But now I have another question. What do you do with your "old" equipment? If you have items that have not worn out, do you just replace them and keep an ongoing collection? Do you sell them? Give them away?

I am slowly creating a collection of items that were useful to me, but over time I realize I don't need them anymore. They are probably still useful to someone, just not to me. Do you just ditch the memories of mountains climbed, streams forded, and prepare for new memories (doesn't everyone anthropomorphize their equipment??). Do you never give up on your equipment? Do you pass it along - how?

When I was on the Camino, I had to catch a flight back home from Pamplona. I stayed at Albergue Catedral the night before. I took my hiking poles with me on the train from Santiago to Pamplona and arriving at the albergue, I asked : "Would anyone like a free pair of hiking sticks?" You bet I had takers... I have always wondered why no on has started a small business at Pamplona airport buying and selling scissors, hiking sticks etc from departing and arriving pilgrims...

Some selected gear I will keep because it can be used in situations that will tend to be unusually hard on the more expensive stuff. . like leaving the trails to bushwhack a cross-country mountain route through snaggy things that want to rip and tear things, and rock scree that is highly abrasive. These items also are what I will loan to someone.

I have to say that I do maintain a rather large storage area that has shelving and lockers specific to types of gear or clothing to be stored. Since a lot of this stuff is what the manufacturers have allowed me to keep after gear testing, there is quite a number of items that are in very good to excellent condition. I am pondering whether to try and auction off some of this stuff to give the money to a worthy cause, like the Pilgrim House in Santiago de Compostela.
You could take photos of what you want to remember and then sell, loan, donate, or otherwise give away what you no longer need. Some hiking forums have selling sites, REI (at least in our area) invites members to sell their gently used items. You can donate to Scouts groups, regional parks that take newbies hiking or backpacking. We have left somethings at donation boxes while on the Camino and left such things as our Swiss Army knife with a cabbie.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used my first camino backpack for four or five caminos, after which it was starting to show signs of wear and tear. I passed it to a friend who is a writer for the Lonely Planet and he has used it ever since, taking it all over the world. We are Facebook friends and I get such a thrill when I see a photo of my old pack in far flung places. Incidentally I’ve never been very happy with its replacement which was the same make and model but with much less useful pockets.

You could take photos of what you want to remember and then sell, loan, donate, or otherwise give away what you no longer need. Some hiking forums have selling sites, REI (at least in our area) invites members to sell their gently used items. You can donate to Scouts groups, regional parks that take newbies hiking or backpacking. We have left somethings at donation boxes while on the Camino and left such things as our Swiss Army knife with a cabbie.

I appreciate the input, but I do not have any problems in disposing of no longer used gear and clothing. I was just offering some thoughts to the OP who asked how other forum members deal with such issues. :)

Also, if it all goes to custard one day let’s meet at Dave’s place.

I did a fair bit of travelling pre-COVID. i didn’t buy anything specifically for the Camino so everything is sitting in storage bins waiting for their next taste of freedom

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I belong to a hiking/ bushwalking group so still use boots, poles and backpack. I didn't take "special" clothes when I walked, just ordinary every day stuff which has either worn out or I'm still wearing.

I do not understand the concept of “old equipment” 😉 I’m not saying I’m a miserable Scot 🙄 but my paramo smock is at least 10yrs old my previous Peter Storm Jacket I had for 15yrs, my first camino trail runners eventually died, trousers/shorts/tech T’s are all worn until no longer serviceable…I hate waste so when it goes it has normally served it’s purpose and goes into recycling or is repurposed. Twine, duck tape and McNett Tenacious Tape have been my useful life extenders over the years 👍 but I’m glad so many consider if someone else may have use for kit they no longer need 👏

We used our backpacks 10 plus years, but needed new ones this year. The new ones are lighter and better balanced. Will sell the old ones second hand.

We have Stand Down here in San Diego that does amazing stuff for veterans both homeless and those who are suffering or just down and out.

I am a member of American Pilgrims on the Camino, APOC, our equipment is returning with others this year. We have also responded to needs posted here on the Forum. Our packs has been on 15 Caminos and they return with great energy. Having hosted at Pilgrim House we have seen beautiful equipment donated preparing others for their Caminos.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.