• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What do you expect of yourself to be/become a „real pilgrim“?

W

Walter1407

Who is a „real pilgrim“? And who is not? I have heard too many claims on this issue to recall them all. Personally, I think it is neither necessary nor helpful to define what a real pilgrim is. My question is not about what you think other pilgrims should or shouldn't do. I would like to find out what you do / don't do to gain the most from your pilgrimage, and WHY.

For example:
If you would never want anyone else to transport your backpack, why?
If you want to sleep only in albergues (or outdoors), why?
If you never book accommodation, why?
If you don't drink alcohol and/or eat meat on the Camino but otherwise you do, why?
If you would never take a camera or a mobile phone with you, why?
If it is unthinkable for you to take a bus or a taxi when you are exhausted or stuck, why?
Or are there other things which for you personally are good „rules“ for a rewarding pilgrimage?

Please keep the discussion inside the forum rules. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would like to find out what you do / don't do to gain the most from your pilgrimage, and WHY.

@Walter1407 -

I agree that asking what is a "true pilgrim" is neither helpful or necessary. Personally, I think the descriptor is of an "inside job" which is a work in progress for most of us. Would I like to be such a person? Absolutely! Am I there yet? Hmmmm - give me some years and I'll get back to you.;)

Since you ask the question the way you do, I'll offer the following. I do not claim ownership of any of the concepts, this is just the mix I can articulate for myself.

Because I CAN carry it and having it with me keeps all my options open for when/where I end the day.

I did not feel that I SHOULD, let’s just say I was called to the challenge. For my particular nature, it paid big dividends through many lessons.

Never felt the need - - or maybe I was testing whether “The Camino provides.”

If you don't drink alcohol and/or eat meat on the Camino but otherwise you do, why?

Sometimes it was a personal call to self-mortification. Other times it was to respect the non-imbibing or vegetarian members of the group at the meal.

Did take them! Camera was to capture scenes that, after deliberation, I knew I would later wish to sketch when back home. The mobile allowed me to text my wife as to location each night.

If it is unthinkable for you to take a bus or a taxi when you are exhausted or stuck, why?

Most of my life consists of surmounting challenges, not rising to them could be the start of a bad habit. (Already got my quota.) I would not be stupid about it though! In an emergency situation (high potential for either hypothermia or heat stroke), I would not think twice about getting to safety any way possible.

Or are there other things which for you personally are good „rules“ for a rewarding pilgrimage?

Be open to what the Camino brings you – weather, people, insights into yourself both pleasant and painful.

Be grateful for even the unpleasant experiences. Nothing good comes without sacrifice.

Do not be afraid of failure as it is always a possibility with any exploration.

Have NO expectations.

Other folks' mileage may vary...

B

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In a previous thread I wrote"the way is a road that is open to all who choose to walk it,in part or complete,alone or accompanied,with a full backpack or with nothing,none of those choices makes us less of a pilgrim.what matters is that we go."To this I add,"and if we go we are pilgrims" BUEN CAMINO.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All -

Okay, I'll admit the title of the thread can be a thought-stopper because of the over-worked, contentious nature of the "true pilgrim" debates in the past. That conversation I would have run from in a heartbeat! (Mods - Is it possible to re-title the thread to reflect the actual nature of the post?)

However, after reading for content, I saw that the actual solicitation was if one would share
what you do / don't do to gain the most from your pilgrimage, and WHY.
. Borrowing from @Mark Lee, this is a horse of an entirely different color.;) The potential ways for one to look for meaning on the walk (and there need be none!) are as numerous as the people who would go.

It appears an earnest question. Share if you wish.

There is a risk that this thread "goes pear-shaped" but it is to be hoped that few arguments can start over what another person does to "gain the most from their pilgrimage".

Reckon we'll see soon enough.

B

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My first Camino was a pilgramage, into my roots, after my mother's passing, my mother being Spanish. The others have been mostly to offset the hours and hours and hours (60 hour weeks) at work sitting at a desk pulling my hair out. But even those are a pilgrimage into myself, with every step I take. What makes me put another foot forward? Especially with plantear fasciitis? What makes me interested in those I meet? What makes me prefer to be on my own, not sharing email addresses? All of those questions are a pilgrimage.

Was a my niece christening this weekend. Godmother is religious and has faith. Godfather ... not quite. I was brought up believing, but these days, not so much. And listening to the priest at the christening, even less. But it is part of my upbringing, my roots, my education, my people's culture. The pilgrimage, for me, today, in the last 5 years, has not been about faith, it has been more about a boudhist-like practice.

As long as I do my best each day to push forward, to be kind, to have empathy, to heal myself from a year of stress, I'm on a pilgrimage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharing: my first camino went the "real pilgrim" route. Meaning I walked the Way I was under the impression I should. The Camino had it's own ideas.
My second Camino, I was determined to slow down, stay at albergues and a hostel on occasion. #3 short and very sweet...time to enjoy fellow pilgrims, try new food...pray often...regret nothing. FOUR: ...booked ahead so I could walk in concert with new friends, time for prayer...time for me...Finisterre...Muxia. Each Camino different and thankfully the same. Though, thank God I am different in so many positive ways.

I could not agree more with Arn about how different Caminos are. Not necessarily in a certain order, but each different. I keep wondering what and how I want this one to be. I wish I could say like the first one: no planing, just walking, but it will be the Primitivo and if I don't plan a bit, I will end up sleeping in a field with no sleepingback ;0) I think that as I went along on C3 and C4 I became more distant, perhaps closed up, but not garded. And all was planned, because I'm a slow walker. I hope I can go back to C1: without a clue of what was right or wrong, what was ahead of me and what have you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
On holiday caminos - friends, laughs, kindle, beers, news, car hire if I get bored.

On pilgrimage camino I set out on my own and will be standoffish with others. No phone, no camera, no jolly laughs, sometimes I will eat with others, generally not unless pressed. It's just me, the road and the destination. A much less intrusive existence. I like the quiet.

Why? Because you get what you pay for.

Short version: Pilgrim comes from peregrinus which is the Latin for 'stranger/foreigner that comes over the fields'. That is all what I do when I start out on pilgrimage, going over the fields towards my goal. The rest is provided by the Camino not much of my own doing. SY

Did I start a "True Pilgrim"? Was I one at any point during, between, and after my Caminos? Did I/Have I become one? No idea! I have walked carrying. I have carried less. I have been interested enough in others to one day send my pack ahead to experience what it is like for them and how they might feel and also what it is like to not have the freedom to stop wherever you want. I have even caught a bus with a Camino buddy who was struggling. I have used a phone to check on loved ones and to take keepsake photos. I have asked if the meal could be vegetarian because there were only 6 of us that evening and two were vegetarians. I have accepted and enjoyed what was available, whenever it was available - meat, pasta, vegetables, ice-cream, wine, beer, water and lemonade without any qualms. I have rejoiced in the moment, be it a solitary one or one spent in the best of companionship. I have felt true bliss and gained a better relationship with myself and my God and as a result with all around me. Yes I have become a Camino addict. Why? Good question, and like the original post question one that everyone has a different answer to. This for all or little it is worth is mine. I am a Camino addict because I don't think about what makes a "True Pilgrim". I just think about what hopefully improves my way of being, of my putting away the that which has little import and embracing that which does. So whether I am a "True Pilgrim" or not I will continue walking towards that bitter sweet moment of arriving in Santiago and kneeling in front of a special saint to give thanks through him for another year. Sorry to you all for being verbose.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Anyone making what they call a pilgrimage, anywhere, in whatever way they choose do it, especially if they are not judgemental of others' choices, is a real, true, pilgrim.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Who is a „real pilgrim“? For example:

oehh, a risky thread ;)

Here i go:

- If you would never want anyone else to transport your backpack, why?
Been there, Done that. Pain told me "try it". It didn't help. Did i feel bad about it? NEVER!

- If you want to sleep only in albergues (or outdoors), why?
Albergues, outdoors, hotels, pensions, casa rurals. Been there, done that. Did i feel bad about it? NEVER!
Although i would never EVER sleep in a ditch ;)

- If you never book accommodation, why?
Been there, done that. Do i feel bad about it? NEVER!

- If you don't drink alcohol and/or eat meat on the Camino but otherwise you do, why?
euhhh.....does this have anything to do with the a pilgrimage? If yes, then would i feel bad about it if i did or did not do any of the above? NEVER!

- If you would never take a camera or a mobile phone with you, why?
I love my phone/cam gadgets. Very handy when i want to chit chat with the homefront. Do i feel bad about it? NEVER!

Been there, Done that. Had some great fun overtaking fellow pilgrims that got up at 5am:D Do i feel bad about it? NEVER!

Euhhhhh.....i dont really like rules. Do i feel bad about that? NEVER!

:D:D;);)
Does this make me a bad pilgrim? You tell me.
Does it matter? NEVER.
Would i judge you for doing it like this or in any other way? NEVER!

Piggy-backing on the thread:
Does making food in the albergue for yourself smell soooooo good that when others begin to congregate...you don't share?
Does that make you a "bad pilgrim":eek:?
I like to cook...in fact, I am making homemade Galician Garlic Soup for tonight's Lenten meal.
And, I always share!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We carried our packs the whole way because we wanted the challenge. And it gave a faux sense of superiority to those who didn't......but only because we were secretly jealous of their ability to skip down the trails unencumbered by packs....especially when our backs were sore. :)

We walked the whole way because we wanted the challenge. And we could have that same faux sense of superiority to those who didn't......but only because we were secretly jealous of those big air conditioned buses on the boiling hot days. :)

We proved our last 100 km so we could get the paperwork so we could remind ourselves of our total achievement, which was from SJPdP. But we didn't have any paperwork proof from the LePuy trip other than the credencials. That is all that matters.

We ate what we wanted.

We drank what we wanted.

We used phones and iPads because they enhanced our voyage. We allowed others to borrow our tools, both because it was helpful to them and because it was funny when some previously made a big deal of not bring such tools. Secretly funny, of course.

We were intolerant of intolerance. How's that for a circular reference!

We booked ahead and didn't stay in albergues because it gave us goals of achievement for each day and peace of mind for the end of the day. And the conditions were generally better. It could give a faux sense of nobility that we were ensuring that others had access to those two beds in the albergues.......giving up our beds for others. :)

We socialized with friendly people because that is our preference.

We didn't socialize further, if we found that someone was irritating, because that is our preference.

We didn't impose my snoring and gaseous emissions on others because that would detract from the experiences of others. :)

We tried our best to communicate with locals and appreciated their hospitality and access to their country.

Are we pilgrims? Who knows?
That label is less important because it wasn't done for strictly religious reasons. It was done for spiritual reasons and health reasons. And it was a couple of darn good "holidays".
I don't describe myself as a pilgrim so, I guess, the answer is right there.
But, I appreciated walking alongside pilgrims and walking what millions of others walked as their pilgrimage for over a thousand years. It made me feel a close part of that, so I could be a faux-pilgrim or a closet-pilgrim. Or deep down, maybe I am a pilgrim.

What I am certain of, is that there would be those who would supply the answer "no, you are not a pilgrim" based on some of the least important choices that we made and listed above and those people are sometimes the ones to trumpet the loudest "I Am A Pilgrim".

The only person who is not a pilgrim is one who has not gone on any sort of pilgrimage.

I am not Pilgrim. I seek neither salvation nor sanctification. I offer my service to the road, the only thing my forebears ever owned. I journey to places that have been sacred to my ancestors since their time, now out of mind. Does that make me a pilgrim? In Spain, if asked, I will answer "Soy Peregrino". And I will walk, because I choose to and I can; and I will carry my pack because I choose to and I can; and I will eat and drink what is offered and give thanks. I am minded often that "god does not count your steps, nor Santiago weigh your pack - look to your heart pilgrim." Perhaps the only "rule" for a "real" pilgrim?

(edited for typos)

Last edited:
There's a difference between "true pilgrim" and "real pilgrim".

The "true pilgrim" has, once at least, walked from his or her front door to Santiago, without ever having actively sought any motor transportation except to (surface) cross some expanse of water or because of some injury or illness or other, and has done some significant and meaningful portion of the return walk from there. Bearing in mind that horse and donkey pilgrims, as well as some of the cycle pilgrims, are not excluded from the definition. And bearing in mind that the "permanent pilgrims" that one bumps into occasionally may have done all of that, and still not have become "true pilgrims".

The "real pilgrim" is far less easily defined.

Because it's a state of being, not a collection of various features.

Some people get onto the Camino, and within 3 days are "real pilgrims" -- others need to go through the whole affair of becoming a "true" one.

If a "true pilgrim" looks you in the eye, though, and compliments you as a "real pilgrim" -- yeah.

Being a "real pilgrim" means treating yourself, and the Way, and your Companions, and the other Pilgrims, and the Hospitaleros/as, and strangers, always with utmost humility and respect and friendship -- as you are, with your wealth and means or lack thereof, and treating each hard K of the Camino as a dear friend whose company you value no matter how painful that friend might be from time to time. (which doesn't mean "liking" all and everything you encounter)

And then -- taking that love back with you from the Camino into your life.

What I am certain of, is that there would be those who would supply the answer "no, you are not a pilgrim" based on some of the least important choices that we made and listed above and those people are sometimes the ones to trumpet the loudest "I Am A Pilgrim".

I would not be one of those people.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The "true pilgrim" has, once at least, walked from his or her front door to Santiago, without ever having actively sought any motor transportation except to (surface) cross some expanse of water or because of some injury or illness or other, and has done some significant and meaningful portion of the return walk from there.
Really! I think that defining real or true pilgrim by outward appearances and behaviours is just futile and essentially stupid. If you need to define what a pilgrim is in this way so that you can judge yourself or act in the manner so you appear to be a pilgrim, you are merely aping the appearance of being a pilgrim, not being one. If you are doing it to define others, why?

BTW, while this forum is focussed on the Camino de Santiago, we risk appearing narrow minded when we don't acknowledge there are other pilgrimage destinations both in Christian practice and that of other religions.

Really! I think that defining real or true pilgrim by outward appearances and behaviours is just futile and essentially stupid. If you need to define what a pilgrim is in this way so that you can judge yourself or act in the manner so you appear to be a pilgrim, you are merely aping the appearance of being a pilgrim, not being one. If you are doing it to define others, why?

BTW, while this forum is focussed on the Camino de Santiago, we risk appearing narrow minded when we don't acknowledge there are other pilgrimage destinations both in Christian practice and that of other religions.

You seem to have developed a habit of making personal attacks against me as a response to my posts.

Is that more in line with your own idea of the pilgrim ?

As for "defining real or true pilgrim by outward appearances and behaviours", that's exactly the opposite of what I said !!!

Shrug.

Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You seem to have developed a habit of making personal attacks against me as a response to my posts.
You are being paranoid! There are far more of your posts that I ignore than to which I respond.:rolleyes:

As for "defining real or true pilgrim by outward appearances and behaviours", that's exactly the opposite of what I said !!!
I disagree. The snippet of your earlier post that I quoted was
The "true pilgrim" has, once at least, walked from his or her front door to Santiago, without ever having actively sought any motor transportation except to (surface) cross some expanse of water or because of some injury or illness or other, and has done some significant and meaningful portion of the return walk from there.
If that is not a behaviour, I am not sure what is. Worse, it excludes many people, both Christian and from other religions, just on the basis of them not walking, not going to Santiago, etc, etc. It is a narrow concept of pilgrimage, and not one to which I would subscribe.

Interesting thread.
It seems the people who have the most to say about defining "real pilgrims" are the ones who say they never never do so!
And their criteria are totally based on what THEY personally do and don't do.
Self, self, self. Me, me, me. Or My Feelings.
Ain't we just wonderful, and so totally un-judgmental!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Dr is IN:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
Gosh, when this thread began I thought to myself....self...how long will it take for the truly insightful responses to be overtaken by the "Websters" among us attempting to define a "true pilgrim" based solely on their set of criterion.
Or, a debate begin on who's definition is more cockamamy than another's...or, possibly valid.
At least in a debate, the individuals usually take opposite sides in a particular topic and, through force of words...convince the judge of the validity of the argument.
I'm reminded of St Augustine. In his time, the 4th century, he was considered an orator without peer. So good an orator, that he was considered the "voice" of the Emperor in Milan and, until his conversion to the Catholic Faith, argued successfully against Christians.
So strong were his arguments, that the Emperor sends a legion to evict Bishop Ambrose from his Cathedral.
St Augustine witnesses the slaughter of unarmed Christians attempting to protect Ambrose. It's at this point, St Augustine using his position as the Emperor's Orator debates with himself the "justice or injustice" of the Emperor's directive. Needless to say, St Augustine loses his gig with the Palace; but goes on to become a Bishop and a Doctor of the Church for his monumental writings on the Church and of his struggles to overcome personal traits less than Christian in nature.
At no time does St Augustine resort to invective to demean his opponent. He is rational in his presentation and persuasive in his conclusions. He resists rising to the bait when personally attacked; rather turning an understanding cheek to the source.
Moral of the story: If you think an oncoming train is going to jump the track and injure innocent folks...give fair warning and throw the switch redirecting the train. I am not insane!:rolleyes:

I really would love, love, love to see this thread going on in a meaningful manner and not being closed because of personal 'exchanges' - read attacks... I also think it might be a good idea to just stick to the noun 'pilgrim' and forget about all the adjectives (real, true, modern, traditional ect.)

I think of myself as a pilgrim because I move towards a place that is of significance to me and that's it. Matter of transport, amount of gadgets, and all that, don't affect how I think of myself as a pilgrim. As I already have a hard time to define, for myself, what a pilgrim is, how could I define it for others?

Buen Camino! SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I like the idea of starting from your front door.
Drat, I could do that but never have yet. However, for my Camino in 2016 for my 70th birthday that is exactly what I plan to do. Fortunately, my apartment is about 2 blocks away from Del Norte.
As far as the "true pilgrim" argument is concerned, one is reminded of the line from THAT MOVIE. Does your death on the Camino defines that you are a really true pilgrim, Huh?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
For me walking the Camino or anywhere else is a chance to escape from the everyday routine of life. I fell in love with the quiet of the meseta, I reacquainted myself with my God walking in the desert in Arizona....a pilgrim, no just a walker.

On holiday caminos - friends, laughs, kindle, beers, news, car hire if I get bored.

On pilgrimage camino I set out on my own and will be standoffish with others. No phone, no camera, no jolly laughs, sometimes I will eat with others, generally not unless pressed. It's just me, the road and the destination. A much less intrusive existence. I like the quiet.

Why? Because you get what you pay for.
Wow, you must be a barrel of laughs....ha ha
What do you mean by "pressed" to eat with others? Fellow peregrinos have to talk you into breaking bread, sharing fellowship and wonderful food with them? Ha ha. I'd only ask you once, mate. After that you're on your own. More chow and vino for me and others at the table...:D

I'm never pressed to eat with others. Love the chit chat and laughs about eveything and nothing.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow, you must be a barrel of laughs....ha ha
What do you mean by "pressed" to eat with others? Fellow peregrinos have to talk you into breaking bread, sharing fellowship and wonderful food with them? Ha ha. I'd only ask you once, mate. After that you're on your own. More chow and vino for me and others at the table...:D
Not everyone is a barrel of laughs, and thank heaven for that, I say.:) Quite frankly, I find if I make an effort to chat with a quiet person I often find some gems beneath the surface, and a unique sense of humour ......... bizarre, warped or otherwise. Besides, if you "only ask once," you might not be considered very hospitable ........ most especially in Spain. ;)

Not everyone is a barrel of laughs, and thank heaven for that, I say.:) Quite frankly, I find if I make an effort to chat with a quiet person I often find some gems beneath the surface, and a unique sense of humour ......... bizarre, warped or otherwise. Besides, if you "only ask once," you might not be considered very hospitable ........ most especially in Spain. ;)
Guess I ain't hospitable, baby....;)

I first heard about the Camino de Santiago ten years before I was able to walk it. The first person I contacted for information was the priest of the local „Jakobskirche“ (Santiago church). He said: If you want to experience something that will mark you in a good way for the rest of your life, walk to Santiago from your home in one go. In other words, between 2200 and 2300 kilometres.

I did not read the books of Coelho, MacLaine and others. I wanted to discover the Camino by myself. But I read a few things about the Camino of the Middle Ages, like: A pilgrimage is a journey, especially a long one, of moral or spiritual significance. In the Middle Ages, theologians endorsed spiritual travel as a retreat from worldly concerns. They equated pilgrimage with the monastic way of life.

I decided to go on a long-distance pilgrimage despite some health problems and doubts whether I would manage financially. I set a single rule for myself: No use of motorised transport (except where the route crosses water), for both me and my backpack. Why? In at least these respects I wanted to do the walk like the pilgrims of the Middle Ages.

It was a walk into the unknown – both daunting and exciting. I met just one other pilgrim during the first five weeks (to Le-Puy-en-Velay). My thoughts wandered more than my body did, but this gradually slowed down. I noticed more and more small things in nature.

When I reached Figeac I realised that the wordly concerns which had been troubling me at home had become much less important. I decided to rest for a day, spending many hours in a church where beautiful soft music was playing.

Soon after I realised that when I let my body walk by itself, there developed a harmony between the rhythms of breathing, heart beat and steps. I felt lighter and tired less quickly.

The weirdest thing was that when I reached Spain I became aware that I could no longer correctly judge the speed of approaching traffic. But I was not alone in that; two other long-distance pilgrims experienced the same.

This is getting rather long, so I won't elaborate on my social life on the Camino. Anyway, it was good.:)

So, what do I / don't I do to gain the most from my pilgrimage? Or rather, what will I do when I walk again next year?

My experiences and personal discoveries will of course influence how I'll do the next Camino, as many of them I found both interesting and enriching. I don't expect a repeat of anything, yet I intend to again minimise distractions and allow my thoughts to wander. I want to do the walk without using motorised transport (but as I have a damaged spinal disk I will have the backpack transported if my back hurts). I definitely don't want to be disturbed by a beeping mobile phone while I am walking, so it will always be turned off during the day. I have not yet made up my mind about taking along a camera.

In another post I mentioned that a friend might join me for part of the way. I'll have no problem to compromise on my „rules“ while she is with me.

Who knows what else I'll discover if next year I'll walk for seven or more months?
I am looking forward to an experience that will hopefully mark me in a good way for the rest of my life. :)

(edited for typos)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Such questions as the OP brought up invoke so many responses. As many have said already, any kind of open debate can become quickly irritating; yet focused perspective on the self can be stirringly, personally provocative. Why do we do or not do what we do? It's a personal journey. I didn't have a 'plan' for either seeing where I ended up or booking ahead each day - either way, I was far out of my comfort zone when I began! What happened is that part of my pilgrimage/lessons/take away ended up being learning to trust (myself and my beliefs) without exerting my own 'perceived' control over my experience as I used to so often in 'real' life. Because of little planning, I was left open to serendipitous discovery and I continue to be grateful. To me, Pilgrimage implies some kind of commitment rather than a true-ness or not. It's interesting to me what is learned of the places inside. The newly touched, newly explored strengths and discoveries that identify and sometimes re-shape our inner and outer perceptions.

It's kind of disheartening the way these discussions devolve into judgements, rather than just stay on topic and answer what the questions really were. We learn more by sharing what worked or didn't than by pointing out perceived shortcomings. My two cents: I carried a camera, because it's easier to explain to family at home who the people you met are, or how awesome the swinging botafumerio is, if they have a photo to look at. I never carried a cell phone because I don't have one at home. {GASP!!!} I only connected randomly, maybe four or five times, through e-mails, with family. Why? Because I wanted to stay as in the moment as possible. When connected with those somewhere else, you're taken to that place and cease to be where you are. Stayed in albergues and joined for meals because that's where the people are. Carried my pack because I wanted to know I could do it. But the biggest rule, in my mind, for a good Camino? Judge not. Be open. Accept that others are workng it out in ways that make sense to them, just as you're doing it according to what works for you.

I think the original post was intending to ask the following: Do you impose any special requirements on yourself, to fulfill your personal criteria for a pilgrim? If so, what and why those particular ones? Things that you don't expect of yourself normally? For example, physical challenges such as carrying a load, or mental challenges such as limited communication or perhaps an intensive prayer routine?

The question asks why you choose those challenges, if you do. (It doesn't ask if you judge others, or why we choose to continue many of the usual comforts of our lives; it asks whether and why some of us might impose discomforts on ourselves just for the pilgrimage.)

Personally I have chosen to walk the distance without vehicle assistance, mainly as a personal challenge. It is interesting that I have now incorporated that challenge into my daily life to a large degree, finding that it brings me pleasure rather than discomfort. Maybe there's a lesson in that.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Who is a „real pilgrim“? And who is not? I have heard too many claims on this issue to recall them all. Personally, I think it is neither necessary nor helpful to define what a real pilgrim is. My question is not about what you think other pilgrims should or shouldn't do. I would like to find out what you do / don't do to gain the most from your pilgrimage, and WHY.

For example:

I think the journey is a very personal one. I don't know of anywhere I have searched the we are given the authority to judge anyone . Would doing so make our journey any better ? Buen Camino. Stephen

I definitely did not start out as a pilgrim when I rushed up that mountain from SJPP on an early and foggy July morning almost nine years ago. Probably some people wouldn't see me as a peregrina now either, but during those 900 km between SJPP and Finisterre something profound happened to me, something that would not have happened in ordinary life. And it changed my life forever. Since then I have walked two more times, but unfortunately only shorter stages of 300 km each. I am still dreaming of being able to walk all the way from Sweden and I am sure one day I will.

For me being a pilgrim is about the INTENT. About finding the best inside of me, to respect the way, the surroundings and the people I meet, not judging other fellow pilgrims who are doing their thing, to take my time to actually BE on the Camino and not rush it (I still walk faster than I like to admit), to avoid my usual habits of constantly keeping up with everything on my phone, internet and such and instead use that time for thinking, reflecting, doing nothing, reading, meeting people, walk around in the village . And most of all tike TIME to just let the Camino and everything about it sink into my heart. To walk every step was part of the journey, but in case I would have needed help with my backpack or transportation that would not have changed anything. As I said before - the intent is what makes me a pilgrim, not exactly how it is done.

I definitely did not start out as a pilgrim when I rushed up that mountain from SJPP on an early and foggy July morning almost nine years ago. Probably some people wouldn't see me as a peregrina now either, but during those 900 km between SJPP and Finisterre something profound happened to me, something that would not have happened in ordinary life. And it changed my life forever. Since then I have walked two more times, but unfortunately only shorter stages of 300 km each. I am still dreaming of being able to walk all the way from Sweden and I am sure one day I will.

For me being a pilgrim is about the INTENT. About finding the best inside of me, to respect the way, the surroundings and the people I meet, not judging other fellow pilgrims who are doing their thing, to take my time to actually BE on the Camino and not rush it (I still walk faster than I like to admit), to avoid my usual habits of constantly keeping up with everything on my phone, internet and such and instead use that time for thinking, reflecting, doing nothing, reading, meeting people, walk around in the village . And most of all tike TIME to just let the Camino and everything about it sink into my heart. To walk every step was part of the journey, but in case I would have needed help with my backpack or transportation that would not have changed anything. As I said before - the intent is what makes me a pilgrim, not exactly how it is done.
Thank you, this is a great post.
Stephen

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Stephen
Stephen[/QUO

For example:

I couldnt resist replying to this post........as a complete novice at Camino and with my start date looming large,lets get it into perspective.......for me it will be a kinda long walk across Northern Spain, following in the many footsteps of greater and lesser than myself, some much better prepared, some maybe not, but all with the same intent, to reach a goal that maybe will have no major impact on our lives, but then again nothing ventured nothing gained comes to mind........in this life expectations are one thing, reality another.......nobody knows what drives the inner man or woman to set out on pilgrimage, and pilgrimage is not just about Camino, but perhaps could be applied to the journey of life, whether you take a little break now and then is of no real consequence, what matters is that you make it in the end with your feet and spirit intact........Buen Camino

Walk in peace; do not judge others. Do not throw the first stone unless you're flawlesss. Do not tell others what to do: Concentrate on yourself, and learn yourself. I learnt a lot from my first Camino. It has shaped me. Thank you, Camino. Live and let live.

I first heard about the Camino de Santiago ten years before I was able to walk it. The first person I contacted for information was the priest of the local „Jakobskirche“ (Santiago church). He said: If you want to experience something that will mark you in a good way for the rest of your life, walk to Santiago from your home in one go. In other words, between 2200 and 2300 kilometres.

Unfortunately for me that would be 8000 KMs and an Ocean. :\

Totally unrelated: In Norway, we are very occupied with fishing. It is a main income for many. That is probably why, some 2000 years ago, it was overheard a fisherman shouting to another person on the fishing field:

"I do not care who your father is! Stop walking on the water: You scare the fish!!!"

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back