• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What do you sleep in? (girls)

utopiansky

Hello! I am going on the Camino for my first time May-June and I can't even focus on anything else because I'm so excited!
I know pretty much what I'm packing but I am curious as to what sort of clothes you sleep in at night? Typically I just sleep in underwear and a tank top... but with a sleeping bag, I always somehow manage to find myself twisted out of it in the morning, so I'm concerned about ending up on top laying in nothing but underwear and a tank top for everyone to see. Its probably a stupid question, but I really don't want to pack more than I need to, especially since most of the stuff I'm bringing is multipurpose. But should I bring a pair of shorts for sleeping in?

Oh and also, with changing/getting dressed... is that just an open event? I'm a pretty private person in regards to changing in front of others... so what is that protocol?

Any thoughts would be helpful!! :)
Kaitlyn

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I slept in my underwear and tank top.
Believe me, everyone's too tired to worry about what you have on.
Just wear your underclothes or the clothes you'll walk in next day.
Go LIGHT! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I also sleep in the clothes I'm wearing the next day as this saves on weight and space.

People change in their sleeping bags, in the bathroom, next to their bunk. There is an unwritten code amongst pilgrims that you don't look at anyone who is dressing/undressing. It's amazing just how much privacy there can be in a crowded room.

May June is a lovely time to walk el camino.
If you would like to wear something different to sleep in (some people perspire a lot) try a lighweight runners vest with 'quantek' fabric at the top and mesh netting at the bottom. They weigh about 38g and dry very quickly.

Hello! I am going on the Camino for my first time May-June and I can't even focus on anything else because I'm so excited!
I know pretty much what I'm packing but I am curious as to what sort of clothes you sleep in at night? Typically I just sleep in underwear and a tank top... but with a sleeping bag, I always somehow manage to find myself twisted out of it in the morning, so I'm concerned about ending up on top laying in nothing but underwear and a tank top for everyone to see. Its probably a stupid question, but I really don't want to pack more than I need to, especially since most of the stuff I'm bringing is multipurpose. But should I bring a pair of shorts for sleeping in?

Oh and also, with changing/getting dressed... is that just an open event? I'm a pretty private person in regards to changing in front of others... so what is that protocol?

Kaitlyn
I slept in undies and tshirt with leggings if cold. It's dark at night, no one is looking at you, and no-one cares. You will see more scantily clad males and females to last a lifetime! Most pilgrims are too tired to bother about other pilgrims' night attire.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Kaitlyn
What Im wearing the next day if in an albergue. If I have a private room, then my underwear or nothing - depends if I have an ensuite bathroom.

I "sort of" wear the clothes I will be walking in the next day. For t-shirt, bra, and panties - this is what I do. I put these on after my afternoon shower and wear them the rest of the day/night (well - I do remove the sports bra at night most nights). For pants/shorts - instead of my leggings I have a pair of comfy silk yoga pants that I wear around town in the evenings. They are very lightweight and cool so can be worn most nights. That said - if it is REALLY warm - too warm for my yoga pants - then I will just wear my running shorts that I hike in on warm days.

If REALLY warm and/or you are uncomfortable in bottoms - you could also sleep in a t-shirt or tank and panties. But - I prefer to have other bottoms on in case I need to go to the bathroom at night.

Changing - getting dressed - I do most of that in the shower in the mid-afternoon. At night I just slip off my bra if I want to (with shirt still on). Same with my bottoms if I need to. In the AM - it is dark in the room when I change out of my yoga pants - I just do that while still in my bunk. I don't get completely undressed in the dorm room. But I doubt anyone would really care as long as you are keeping to yourself and quickly changing and not being an exhibitionist haha!

My sweetie and I have walked more than one Camino. The first time, I wore what I would walk in the next day. (This does assume that what you're walking in is reasonably comfortable. Likewise the second time. (Not the same routes, but that is not relevant to this discussion.) The third time, which took two years due to injuries, I had an Icebreaker tank dress that I intended to wear walking, but that didn't work out. I took to wearing that dress to sleep. The first thing I noticed was that slipping into my sleeping bag liner with the dress on was, well, maybe a little more revealing than I had intended. The second thing I noticed was that changing from the dress to my walking clothes took too long in the morning. If you don't feel like you're walking into walls in the morning this might not be an issue for you, but it was for me. The last time, doing the Salvador and then the Primitivo, I didn't take the dress. I just wore my next day's clean walking clothes to sleep in and it worked fine. As it had on the first Camino. YMMV, but I recommend this system.
It's not like you have nothing else to be concerned about, after all. ;)

Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I take one basic outfit for walking and one for the evenings/nights, so I sleep in the latter. I put it on after my afternoon shower, and change into my walking clothes in the morning. I don't find that the extra 5 minutes to change in the morning is a problem.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this.......but remember what you might look like climbing up into a bunk bed. I say get a top bunk, wear you pants when getting up into the bed and then take them off. In the morning you can slip them back on before coming down.

When staying in public albergues I change into my clean set of clothes after showering and then wear them to bed later. They are comfortable and not tight, and I bring the softest bras I own. I am a rather modest person, so it works perfect for me; I pop out of my sleeping bag in the morning fully dressed. No wiggling in and out of nightwear under the covers or changing in the bathroom. After a couple of days I hardly notice I am sleeping in my clothes.
I do bring a lightweight nightshirt for any private lodgings I stay at.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Since I usually walked late autumn/winter
after a shower I would wear my "evening attire";
clean underwear,
runner's winter tights,
short sleeve technical tee shirt,
long sleeve technical tee shirt,
loose socks,
plus when bitter cold my woolly hat.
...Wearing this winter tenue de soirée sleep came easy.

Last edited:
A pair of Patagonia Baggie shorts and cotton tshirt. I had to wear something comfortable, I didn't like sleeping in the quick dry athletic clothing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.