• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What do you want in an albergue?

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
A new albergue is being outfitted in Sabroso. Those responsible have set up a Google docs survey to ask what pilgrims want in an albergue (types of beds, bedding, kitchen facilities, washing facilities etc).

If you would like to fill out the survey but don't read Portuguese, a browser machine translation should suffice. The survey is available until 15 August 2022.

Click here to go to the survey.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A new albergue is being outfitted in Sabroso. Those responsible have set up a Google docs survey to ask what pilgrims want in an albergue (types of beds, bedding, kitchen facilities, washing facilities etc).

If you would like to fill out the survey but don't read Portuguese, a browser machine translation should suffice. The survey is available until 15 August 2022.

A welcome. Everything else is subservient.

I did! I suggested an albergue with private rooms which allow dogs in but can be kept separate from others if there are people who mind/have allergies. 🤞🏻🙏🏻
I have a question and not a criticism about animals in albergues. I have a dog so obviously I am not allergic to dogs. Wouldn't someone who has a allergy be affected by the dog even if the dog is just walking down a hallway or in a common area or backyard of an albergue? I have no idea just asking. If it could trigger an allergic reaction wouldn't you need to then have a separate entrance for a private room? Maybe a dog walking in and out of an albergue or being in the backyard (if there is one) doesn't trigger an allergic response so it is a moot point.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a question and not a criticism about animals in albergues. I have a dog so obviously I am not allergic to dogs. Wouldn't someone who has a allergy be affected by the dog even if the dog is just walking down a hallway or in a common area or backyard of an albergue? I have no idea just asking. If it could trigger an allergic reaction wouldn't you need to then have a separate entrance for a private room? Maybe a dog walking in and out of an albergue or being in the backyard (if there is one) doesn't trigger an allergic response so it is a moot point.
IMHO the long and short of it is - there is no guarrantee that it may not happen
all it would take is just ONE person with some kind of perhaps rare allergy and BOOM
I mean think of peanuts on plane, right? the talk at the time it started being implemented (heck something like 20 years ago?!) was that folks somehow cold get allergic reactions sitting couple of rows from the person who ate peanuts.

Interestingly enough never gave it a thought since I am not allergic to animals...but I guess those who are better also inquire about it as I saw enough Albergues where animals are "house members" and belong to the Hospitalera\os

My husband had asthma as a child and as an adult he only gets it if we visit friends in their home if they have a cat or dog, so we rarely are able to be inside their homes. Asthma attacks are nothing to sneeze about (no pun); they are dangerous and different than an annoying pet allergy. When we stay at a hotel we always check to see if they allow pets, which is escalating; we always choose to stay elsewhere. It is not the pet hair that is the problem; it is the unseen dander in the air.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I had to resist the urge to say that hair dryers and irons were essential. 🤣

I had to resist the urge to say that hair dryers and irons were essential. 🤣
I’m with you on that. I put hair dryer as priority! Can’t remember if essential or highly desirable 😅

There’s one private albergue (€14 only!) in Arzua that has hairdryer!! 😍

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
When weary after walking for hours all that is needed is a simple shelter with preferably a lower bunk for resting and a working toilet/shower. Nothing else is really necessary; luxury is heat in winter as well is an electric socket to charge a phone and when possible pleasant companions and something to eat.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.