• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What does *ALSA Bus Guaranteed mean?

mauveglass

Time of past OR future Camino
Francis (Sept/Oct 2012) Portuguese Central (2016), Portuguese Coastal (2018), Del Norte (2020)
I'm booking a bus from Madrid airport to Pamplona for September. Does anyone know why some tickets say ALSA Bus Guaranteed and some don't? The ones that don't are 13 euros cheaper. Would it be another bus company even though it's on the Alsa site?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
AFAIK, Alsa bus guaranteed means they guarantee you that you'll travel on an Alsa bus and not on a third party one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is a 3rd party bus as safe? Who would it be?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is a 3rd party bus as safe?

Yes, all buses in Spain have to meet rigorous safety requirements. The only difference regarding safety that comes to my mind is that older buses weren't required to include seat belts for passengers and newer ones (from 2007 or 2008 onwards) are required to have them so you may find still some old buses without them. But you can't know beforehand how old will be the bus... regardless of the bus company you use.

Differences would be basically in comfort and amenities but that's true too for buses of a single bus company. Some models are more comfy than others... Some buses have more amenities tan others (e.g.: Some Alsa buses have wifi and some Alsa buses doesn't have it)...

Personally, I would go for whatever schedule suits you better.

P.S.: With Alsa, the route from Madrid to Pamplona involves a change of buses in Soria. If just one of the buses was an Alsa bus, that means your time in a non-Alsa bus would be roughly 2h. 30m. what isn't too much anyway.

Per previous comments, ALSA Buses provide some services that many other bus companies in Spain don't-- this ranges from bathrooms, wide seat, seat belts, turntables, soda service, seat with charger, Wi-Fi, a movie, etc... This may mean little to you but if the ride is longer than 3 hours, that onsite bathroom may come in handy and that charger may be a lifesaver...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you everyone!

One more thing...should I buy my ticket now or at the kiosk at the airport? I get into Madrid at 7am and have hotel reservations in Pamplona that night. Last time, I spent time in Madrid and then took a train.

One more thing...should I buy my ticket now or at the kiosk at the airport? I get into Madrid at 7am and have hotel reservations in Pamplona that night. Last time, I spent time in Madrid and then took a train.[/QUOTE

Check the stats on your flight--- if the flight is rarely delayed, buy the ticket. I opted twice to NOT buy a bus ticket because my flight was transatlantic and when I got to the kiosks the time/route was sold out. I still got to Pamplona that day because you WILL have plenty options either train and bus, but if you have your mind set on a particular time and feel pretty confident that you are not going to miss that bus, buy the ticket.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing...should I buy my ticket now or at the kiosk at the airport? I get into Madrid at 7am and have hotel reservations in Pamplona that night. Last time, I spent time in Madrid and then took a train.

Will be arriving around the time you'll be arriving at terminal 4s on Sept 2. Will be transferring to terminal 4 to catch the 10:45 Alsa bus to Pamplona. The "garantizado" tickets costs E26.25. Will be staying overnight in Pamplona before bussing to SJPdP the next day to start the Camino on Sept 4. Who knows we might meet along the way.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back