• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What does it say on the Porta Santa?

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
The attached photo has been cropped from the original. When I took the photo, I didn't see these words at the bottom left-hand-side of the door. If I had noticed them, I might have made sure to include the letters on the left that have been hidden by the jamb. Do you know what they say? Since I first noticed the words I have seen more of the letters that I could not tell the first time.

1-3rd sd disc 596.JPG

What I have so far: -acomercio de Santiago --os profesionales -ciones empresarios empresa MMIII

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am 30 meters away from the spot, will have a look later, I have a ticket to visit the Pórtico de la Gloria in 2 hours' time'

What I have so far: -acomercio de Santiago --os profesionales -ciones empresarios empresa MMIII
I don't know what the exact words are and I can't say whether the text is in Spanish or Galician but I know the general meaning. About 30 organizaciones empresariales y profesionales de Santiago, representadas por la Cámara de Comercio, had funded the new bronze door for the Holy Year 2004. It was created by the sculptor Suso Léon and cost € 126,000. MMIII is the year 2003 when the new door was donated/installed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks to both of you! Ain't this technology marvellous? That amancio can read my message where he is standing, either within the cathedral or just outside it. Do you get an alert, amancio, when a new message is put on the forum? Surely not. Or were you just browsing the forums?

Thanks to both of you! Ain't this technology marvellous? That amancio can read my message where he is standing, either within the cathedral or just outside it. Do you get an alert, amancio, when a new message is put on the forum? Surely not. Or were you just browsing the forums?
Just browsing! Arrived in Santiago just today, was enjoying a quiet, HOT Santiago afternoon in plaza de Quintana pretty much all for myself, I am really excited I got the chance to visit the Pórtico de Gloria, there is some Charlie and the Chocolate Factory golden ticket feeling about it, very few people can visit it every day for 25 minutes'

As a matter of fact I was not able to see the writing on the door, because the door is open and that text is now against the wall, I am afraid

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As a matter of fact I was not able to see the writing on the door, because the door is open and that text is now against the wall, I am afraid
Too late now, amancio, to say that the words are on the inside of the door against the hinged edge, so when it opens the words would not be hidden.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back