• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What does the camino mean to you?

Maeve Gallagher

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances 2017 and 2018
Camino Portugues 2018
Hi everyone, I am creating a documentary on my journeys of the Camino de Santiago (in particular the camino frances) and my title for this is 'How has an ancient Christian pilgrimage from the middle ages become a popular holiday activity?'
I was wondering if it would be possible for you to comment in a word or short phrase what the camino truly means to you and can be featured in the documentary. Or even better, if you could get in touch with me and email me a short video of you saying your word or phrase?
Thank you all, buen camino!
Maeve Gallagher

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
hi Maeve,

Welcome on this forum. I am not really able to put it into a simple phrase what the camino means for me ( I use a lot of words usually). I guess a movie of me walking, just being there, and not talking, would probably sum up the meaning of the camino for me. But I wish you well with your documentary. Your angle seems fine to me.
When you browse through this forum you will find that the camino means a lot of different things for different people, which will surely be of interest for your documentary. You will also find that for many people there is an important distinction between 'tourists on a holiday' and 'true pilgrims on a pilgrimage', and that for many people this distinction is totally irrelevant. (by no means do I want to continue this discussion in this thread).

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Maeve;

It sounds like a wonderful project and I wish you the best of luck with it.

While I have used this description before, I don't consider it cheating as they are my own words :)

I think the Camino can be an expression of freedom and without being trite - it's like dancing in the rain or more precisely, an expression of happiness, hope and love of life.

I hope this helps!

The French way....
Nothing good to say unless you walk in winter or enjoy pretending to be one of those pine caterpillars I like to squish.
IMO you should document a lesser known Camino, everybody knows of the French way, be Original or come film me and my animals.
Good luck

Hi everyone, I am creating a documentary on my journeys of the Camino de Santiago (in particular the camino frances) and my title for this is 'How has an ancient Christian pilgrimage from the middle ages become a popular holiday activity?'
I was wondering if it would be possible for you to comment in a word or short phrase what the camino truly means to you and can be featured in the documentary. Or even better, if you could get in touch with me and email me a short video of you saying your word or phrase?
Maeve Gallagher

What it means to me is Pilgrimage. My word or short phrase for it is "Pilgrimage". As to how has an ancient, even pre-christian, pilgrimage route become a popular holiday activity? My word for that would be "Marketing".

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Maeve Gallagher

Hi, Maeve....

There are those who view walking a Camino -- the Frances Route included -- as a 'holiday' activity, much as one spends vacation time collecting sea shells, touring shops in foreign cities, and eating as much food during a ship's cruise as one can stuff into their gullet. That is one facet of the Camino which seems to be rapidly gaining a following: having a cheap vacation.

But the above cohort is only one aspect, and is not reflective of the entirety of those who pursue a pilgrimage. I am one of many who undertake a Camino as a spiritual or religious journey. As such, I do not want to be included with those who view Camino as a way to be a tourist and have an inexpensive vacation.

In fact, in my singular opinion, the subject you wish to pursue would make a great documentary if it examined how those tourists, viewing Camino as a cheap holiday, are negatively impacting the Camino for those seeking the same broad type of historical spiritual experience for which a camino to Santiago de Compostela was first undertaken.

Just a thought.

There are those who view walking a Camino -- the Frances Route included -- as a 'holiday' activity
I am one of many who undertake a Camino as a spiritual or religious journey

I am both. I think there is not necessarily a contradiction between walking the camino as a holiday activity vs. walking the camino as a spiritual or religious experience. It seems you have very negative connotations to the word holiday so maybe we use different definitions. My Dutch dictionary gives app 15 definitions (including a period of being free of obligations & a period of being free of work). A quick glance through English dictionaries (not my native language) learns me that a holiday can be defined as time when someone does not go to work or school but is free to what they want, or a day for celebration when many people are allowed to stay away from work or school. Imho a holiday activity does not necessarily mean tourings shops, collecting sea shells or getting drunk. A holiday can also be a period during which a person makes a spiritual/religious journey.

Anyway, the OP's question was whether it is possible to say in one word or phrase what the camino means to you. I find it weird that it's drifting towards a pilgrimage vs tourism debate (oops, I am guilty of that myself as well).

Answering the OP's question again. The camino started out as a holiday activity, which turned out to be a spiritual experience in a way I did not expect, and which unexpectedly reconnected me with my catholic roots, and during which I occassionally and happily get drunk, and even collected some sea shells. I hope my behaviour does not not have a negative impact on your camino experience;)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Misery punctuated by grace, companionship, compassion, love, revelation and joy. Or maybe it’s the other way around. Depends on how much it rained and what condition the feet and knees are in.

I am resistant to calling it a vacation. It requires work, effort and sacrifice to achieve a pretty hefty payoff.

Seems to me that an analogy would be calling “filming documentaries” a hobby or a job. That probably doesn’t really capture the reality of it ;) even if true.

I am both. I think there is not necessarily a contradiction between walking the camino as a holiday activity vs. walking the camino as a spiritual or religious experience. It seems you have very negative connotations to the word holiday so maybe we use different definitions. My Dutch dictionary gives app 15 definitions (including a period of being free of obligations & a period of being free of work). A quick glance through English dictionaries (not my native language) learns me that a holiday can be defined as time when someone does not go to work or school but is free to what they want, or a day for celebration when many people are allowed to stay away from work or school. Imho a holiday activity does not necessarily mean tourings shops, collecting sea shells or getting drunk. A holiday can also be a period during which a person makes a spiritual/religious journey.

Anyway, the OP's question was whether it is possible to say in one word or phrase what the camino means to you. I find it weird that it's drifting towards a pilgrimage vs tourism debate (oops, I am guilty of that myself as well).

Answering the OP's question again. The camino started out as a holiday activity, which turned out to be a spiritual experience in a way I did not expect, and which unexpectedly reconnected me with my catholic roots, and during which I occassionally and happily get drunk. I hope my behaviour does not not have a negative impact on your camino experience;)

Yeah, someone's holiday tourist behavior had a very big impact on my last Camino, which I am still somewhat dealing with.

As far as the word 'holiday' is concerned, the OP left it up to individual interpretation as it was never defined. As such, I did view the word, along with how I chose to interpret its context, as a negative. No biggie. Obviously others did the same thing in assigning an interpretation as you have done in giving the word a context based on other biases.

As such, I stand by my post. And as such, I respect your point of view regardless of a need to agree or disagree :)

Maeve Gallagher
As you can see, you've touched a nerve with the phrase "holiday activity".

It is certainly something I've done on (sometimes extended) vacations from my regular job on what others would consider holidays. I think some of the concern is that there is definitely a connotation of frivolity and lack of seriousness and of materialism in the phrase "holiday activity" and many still see the Camino as a very serious activity (notwithstanding the drinking and good times with fellow pilgrims) that is intended to take them out of the materialism. Even with the increase in numbers, I believe the majority still indicate that they have walked for religious or spiritual purposes rather than purely secular ones. Your chosen title seems to disregard this.

I don't think I could put in a word or phrase all that the Camino truly means for me. It is too big for that. Which isn't to say that there aren't words or phrases that capture well critical aspects of what the Camino means to me. But which aspects rise to the forefront will change with time and context.

In this context, I'll pick the word "Meaningful."

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @Maeve Gallagher . It might help if you could provide some more background to the project?
What you believe the Camino to be and why you are making this documentary. ;)

As you may have realised, you have hit a raw nerve for some here .........

Hi, Maeve....

There are those who view walking a Camino -- the Frances Route included -- as a 'holiday' activity, much as one spends vacation time collecting sea shells, touring shops in foreign cities, and eating as much food during a ship's cruise as one can stuff into their gullet. That is one facet of the Camino which seems to be rapidly gaining a following: having a cheap vacation.

But the above cohort is only one aspect, and is not reflective of the entirety of those who pursue a pilgrimage. I am one of many who undertake a Camino as a spiritual or religious journey. As such, I do not want to be included with those who view Camino as a way to be a tourist and have an inexpensive vacation.

In fact, in my singular opinion, the subject you wish to pursue would make a great documentary if it examined how those tourists, viewing Camino as a cheap holiday, are negatively impacting the Camino for those seeking the same broad type of historical spiritual experience for which a camino to Santiago de Compostela was first undertaken.

Just a thought.
Those people definitely exist, as you experienced to your detriment (and I dare say, for a period of time, all of our detriment). I've also met and read of people who start the Camino for purely secular reasons but, by the time it is done, do find that it has had a deep and meaningful spiritual or religious impact on them. I think it would make an equally great documentary.

Those people definitely exist, as you experienced to your detriment (and I dare say, for a period of time, all of our detriment). I've also met and read of people who start the Camino for purely secular reasons but, by the time it is done, do find that it has had a deep and meaningful spiritual or religious impact on them. I think it would make an equally great documentary.

I agree :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Those people definitely exist, as you experienced to your detriment (and I dare say, for a period of time, all of our detriment). I've also met and read of people who start the Camino for purely secular reasons but, by the time it is done, do find that it has had a deep and meaningful spiritual or religious impact on them.
It is a fact that many start their Camino as a (cheap) holiday activity. It's a good thing.
It is also a fact that many leave the Camino as pilgrims, having gained new insight & more. It's also a good (better) thing.

I am happy for them.

Edit: What I mean is; you may be surprised what the Camino is able give to you. It may be a lifechanger. But it is hard to put it into words for those who haven't experienced it yet. And that is why so many eyes of non-walkers are glacing when you try to explain it to them. :)

I think it would make an equally great documentary.
No. A better documentary. And more close to reality.

The OP may consider these inputs in order to get a more balanced documentary: Many pilgrims have other intentions than merely a cheap holiday. But I guess it's us repeat addicts/oldtimers...?

Last edited:
Hola, Maeve!

I'm a graduated film and TV director with approx.80 documentaries under my belt and I just want to make a technical comment. The title of your intended documentary is waaaaaaaaaaay too long. Take it as a working title and after you get "results" from peoples answers/thoughts you change it to much shorter one that will encapsulate the idea. But don't reveal too much OTOH ;)

Wish you well with your plans!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Maeve Gallagher
For me it was the simplicity. Everyday all I had to do was walk. Everything I needed was in my pack. Meeting new people and all of us starting with a blank slate was wonderful. I finished my Camino on June 8th and have been wanting to go again ever since. I may be able to do it again in May. I walked from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela in 31 days. I will go slower on my next one!

Hi everyone, thank you for your varied responses, it is very interesting to see the range of opinion. As someone who has spent almost 3 weeks on different legs of the Camino, my anecdotal experience is that the majority of people I talked to were not doing the Camino for religious reasons. I appreciate that the Camino is a pilgrimage or spiritual journey for many of you however in my research I have found the opposite. Thank you for your help and all new replies are greatly received!
Maeve

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yeah, someone's holiday tourist behavior had a very big impact on my last Camino, which I am still somewhat dealing with.
Only too true, the tourist attitude increases every year and is ruining the Camino for serious seekers. I practically live wondering along the Camino's or gr routes and will no longer go onto the French way because of the amount of disrespect shown by mainly american pilgrims. I often watch pilgrims throwing rubbish and generally disrespecting other pilgrims. I've had people intruding on my camp to take photos, people attempting to feed my donkey all sorts of non donkey food, people trying to take selfies with her. I even had one american family trying to put their child on her whilst I was in a shop. I always expect unwanted attention but the level of arrogance shown by "tourist pilgrims" is unbelievable. And yes, this certainly does hit the nerve for me.

Lots of high horses about” holiday” - perhaps it is useful to be reminded that holiday originates from “ holy day”- and what is upsetting about a holiday?
Walking a Camino is a rare opportunity to enjoy “ Slowness” and “ Simplicity” at your own behest.

In ancient times the pilgrimage was used as a form of punishment for minor crimes. At those times tens of thousands of pilgrims were sent off and more than half of them would die. They were killed by robbers, wolfs, drowning and exhaustion. Being forced on a pilgrimage was almost a death sentence. Those high ranking clergy and nobles that sent out these pilgrims knew that they were unlikely to return. What they were really doing was handing over their judgement to god. If a pilgrim dies on his journey it’s not their fault but god’s. Every pilgrim with his meager possessions relied on their good relationship with god in order to survive.
Now, a true pilgrim does not have to face wolves or robbers but still have to face the physical challenge, aches, pains and setbacks. A true pilgrim relies on his strength, intelligence and the blessing of god. A true pilgrim may not even know it but deep down – a true pilgrim puts themselves before the judgement of god.

The Camino is, for many of us, a way of life. It is an avocation, a calling, a place to call home. We develop a Camino Family, both on Camino and when not actually walking.

Personally, I have made more friends through my Camino activities over the past six years, than I made in my entire previous 60 years of life, before finding the Camino in 2012 - 2013. Presently, and though this activity, I can count as friends more people than ever. I hope they feel the same way.:)

I get the most satisfaction from being part of something far larger than me, that is ancient and to some degree mysterious...like life itself. My Catholic tradition and upbringing, and sense of continuity and tradition helps. Finding the Camino at age 59 was like being given a 'life transplant.'

Since my first Camino in 2013, I now have a new appreciation for good health and a renewed sense of purpose to my life. Motivation is a great thing. Those who lack it, get old, fall ill, and meet their Maker far sooner than those with a purpose and a reason, regardless of the season...

You either get it or you do not. As Yoda (Star Wars character "The Jedi Master” said so aptly: "You either do or you do not...there is no TRY..." IMHO, Appreciation and understanding the Camino is a binary function. You either 'get it' or you do not. If you think you might have gotten it or figured it out, do another Camino then reassess...

As others have suggested, I respectfully suggest that you SERIOUSLY reconsider the premise or thesis of your project.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The level of pomposity in some of these replies is staggering. It’s a pilgrimage for some. It’s a holiday for many more. It can be both for people. The fact people deplore ‘tourists’ or ‘holidaymakers’ is ridiculous. As long as people behave nicely, surely it’s for everyone? Too many people here parading their virtue in response to an innocent question.

The level of pomposity in some of these replies is staggering. It’s a pilgrimage for some. It’s a holiday for many more. It can be both for people. The fact people deplore ‘tourists’ or ‘holidaymakers’ is ridiculous. As long as people behave nicely, surely it’s for everyone? Too many people here parading their virtue in response to an innocent question.

Brilliant and dead on!

Maeve Gallagher
"Holiday activity" it is NOT!! Maybe I may "go off" here. Let's just say that perhaps your choice of words were not thought out carefully. A word or short phrase is rather difficult. It is much more than that. I do not want to dampen your spirits either, but if you believe it is a "holiday" maybe you may want to interview or re-direct your question/suggestions to the bus loads that start at Sarria or one of these tour companies that have recently begun to capitalize on what is supposed to be a pilgrimage.

Its not about the label "tourists" its about the behaviour that is displayed. Pilgrims who are walking for deeper reasons have a huge amount of respect for the environment, the culture and especially other pilgrims. The so called "tourist" pilgrim lacks these basic human behaviors and will harass me with cameras, rudely wake up sleeping pilgrims, treat the Spanish locals like idiot's, throw their rubbish on the floor etc etc. The Camino is not a holiday resort with cleaners.
Respect and love to you

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

You are entitled to your opinion, even if some of us might disagree. At least, that is the way it is supposed to work.

Maeve Gallagher
For us " Not a Holiday " but a "Holy Day" A day or days when we can walk with and talk to, our God, a time for peace, a time to feel his grace, a time to listen to his call in our lives. Just simply a wonder. God Bless you and thank you or your post.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Pilgrims who are walking for deeper reasons have a huge amount of respect for the environment, the culture and especially other pilgrims. The so called "tourist" pilgrim lacks these basic human behaviors

Are you serious? Seems a bit snobbish to me...:(

Answering the OPs question again. For me the camino is a holiday activity during which I learned not to make generalisations about people.

Are you serious? Seems a bit snobbish to me...:(

Answering the OPs question again. For me the camino is a holiday activity during which I learned not to make generalisations about people.
No offence intended, however I should point out that I live here and spend 6 months a year hiking around the north of Spain......

No offence intended, however I should point out that I live here and spend 6 months a year hiking around the north of Spain......
Hi Nomad Pack
It's good to see that you have so much time to walk and to hike...you are indeed a lucky man
We too have the time now that we are retired

However, most working people use their "holiday entitlement" in order to walk the Camino ..whether as a holiday or as a pilgrimage....does it matter really as long as their behaviour is respectful

Whenever the words
Pilgrim
Pilgrimage
Tourist
Holiday
True pilgrim.......etc etc is mentioned on this forum, things seem to turn nasty very quickly and then the post is stopped by the mods
The OP asked for opinions....

And we're all"at it" once more!!

Should make for a good documentary though!!!
Best wishes
Annette
EDIT.....I worded that badly I'm afraid
Meant to say....as long as their behaviour was respectful

Last edited:
Hi everyone, thank you for your varied responses, it is very interesting to see the range of opinion. As someone who has spent almost 3 weeks on different legs of the Camino, my anecdotal experience is that the majority of people I talked to were not doing the Camino for religious reasons. I appreciate that the Camino is a pilgrimage or spiritual journey for many of you however in my research I have found the opposite. Thank you for your help and all new replies are greatly received!
Maeve

Good luck with your project @Maeve Gallagher
Maybe one day try walking for a bit longer as I find it takes 2-3 weeks just to get really 'into it'......... and pass through the three phases (Physical, Emotional. Spiritual) that are often talked about.
Buy hey, we all have different experiences and perspectives ;)

I would agree that the majority don't walk a Camino for 'religious' reasons.
But if you flip that, I think those that walk for merely a 'holiday' would be in the minority.
The bulk IMHO would be on some kind of emotional / spiritual / healing / personal development journey I think.

Actually here are the stats for 2018.

Motivation that pilgrims express personally.
Religious 140,037 (42.78%)
Religious-cultural 156,720 (47.87%)
Cultural only 30,621 (9.35%).

I think part of our own experience is also tainted by 'us'.
We tend to hang out with those that are similar to us. (Birds of a Feather)

For example on my first Camino there was a rather large, loud crowd of younger people, who seemed intent to 'party' at every opportunity. Cool, no problem.

Then there was a smaller older group who would gather for communal dinners and long deep conversations.....

I tended to hang with the latter group ;)

But some of my most memorable experiences and encounters were meeting people to whom I would not normally have been drawn. :)

Last edited:
Maeve Gallagher
My brother went on the Camino in October of2013 .he never returned.after 700 kms in Triacastella he did not wake up. He was fit and healthy. He told someone and myself why he was on the Camino. My son had died in the May of 2013 so you can imagine how it was for me his sister, would you like his story. Please mail me if you would. Kindest wishes joan

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I
Hi Nomad Pack
It's good to see that you have so much time to walk and to hike...you are indeed a lucky man
We too have the time now that we are retired

However, most working people use their "holiday entitlement" in order to walk the Camino ..whether as a holiday or as a pilgrimage....does it matter really if their behaviour is respectful

Whenever the words
Pilgrim
Pilgrimage
Tourist
Holiday
True pilgrim.......etc etc is mentioned on this forum, things seem to turn nasty very quickly and then the post is stopped by the mods
The OP asked for opinions....

And we're all"at it" once more!!

Should make for a good documentary though!!!
Best wishes
Annette
Of course it matters if peoples behavior is respectful. I don't care what reasons people have for doing the pilgrimage, only that they respect everything about it. Just like everybody here respects the forum and remains polite and civil to one another. Surely if I started hurling insults you would feel that my behavior and conduct is offensive?

I guess I'm lucky but only because I spend the other 6 months alone shepherding in the mountains.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Maeve;

From what I can see, you have had a lot of good input from the members of this forum.

Personally I think it speaks well for the community that they are willing to share and help in your project.

Maybe it's my Canadian thing, but I believe that the different opinions expressed are the mosaic of who we are and what's makes us strong.

Sometimes my brother makes me angry but I know he knows that I will always have his back.

Of course, I will still hide his car keys - :)

I for one look forward to seeing what everyone has to say.

Just don't cross me - :)

I hope you will share your project with us once it's finished.

I

Of course it matters if peoples behavior is respectful. I don't care what reasons people have for doing the pilgrimage, only that they respect everything about it. Just like everybody here respects the forum and remains polite and civil to one another. Surely if I started hurling insults you would feel that my behavior and conduct is offensive?

I guess I'm lucky but only because I spend the other 6 months alone shepherding in the mountains.
When Annette London said that some people are still working and use their vacation allotment to walk the Camino and "does it really matter if their behaviour is respectful?", I dont think she was asking "does it really matter that their behaviour is respectful?" and implying that respectful behaviour is not important. Instead, I think she was asking "Does it really matter (that they are essentially vacationers, using their vacation allotment) if (that is, so long as) their behaviour is respectful?" I recognize the wording is ambiguous, but that is how I took it (as someone who was fortunate enough to get extended vacation from work to allow walking from Roncesvalles to Finisterre with his teenage son, and later another vacation from work to walk from Porto to Santiago).

I

Sorry about that
My reply was badly worded...
I meant to say....that saying holiday or pilgrimage ......did not matter just as long as people were respectful to others and the environment
Should have previewed first!!!!
Best wishes
Annette

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When Annette London said that some people are still working and use their vacation allotment to walk the Camino and "does it really matter if their behaviour is respectful?", I dont think she was asking "does it really matter that their behaviour is respectful?" and implying that respectful behaviour is not important. Instead, I think she was asking "Does it really matter (that they are essentially vacationers, using their vacation allotment) if (that is, so long as) their behaviour is respectful?" I recognize the wording is ambiguous, but that is how I took it (as someone who was fortunate enough to get extended vacation from work to allow walking from Roncesvalles to Finisterre with his teenage son, and later another vacation from work to walk from Porto to Santiago).
Ah ha...
Thank you for that David
Yes, that is what I meant to say. And I have edited the post as what I have written does sound dreadful doesn't it? ....as in....feel free to go wild on the Camino!!

We must be very lucky as we've never come across any bad behaviour on any of our walks
Some high spirits maybe which could be due to the excitement of walking the Camino .

In future, I will make sure that I preview my posts!!!
Best wishes and again thank you
Annette

I think that the divergent interpretations and concerns as expressed with the various replies is based on how the question is viewed: 'How has an ancient Christian pilgrimage from the middle ages become a popular holiday activity?'

For me, my answer would have been different if the question had been phrased a bit differently using the word 'holiday'. For example: ''How has an ancient Christian pilgrimage from the middle ages motivated people to use their holiday time to pursue this activity?'

I admit that how one views a post --- as read through a personal filter --- can create unexpected divergences of opinion. When I read the post, my thoughts went to touring busloads of daypackers, dropped off near a town, who then head to the nearest alburgue to save lodging Euros, using the same Credencial for access that a pilgrim walking 25 km uses. And yet when that 25 km walker arrives at that same alburgue, there is a Completo sign greeting her arrival.

My filter was concerned with the impacts on pilgrim infrastructure as Camino evolves into a holiday tourist thing, with no distinctions from the past needs and purposes, in much the same way as a trip to the Grand Canyon.

Whether some agree or disagree with the above is not at issue for me. Personally, my observation of the above scenario --- which I have seen several times -- is not the same as advocating for changes or restrictions. Rules, restrictions, definitions, usability by whom ... none of that is why I am making the two posts which I have made.

It is simply why I thought a documentary reflecting these kinds of changing impacts might be relevant.

Maeve Gallagher

I've been reflecting on your original question and thought it deserved a non judgemental answer from me this time :oops:

It's God's (or insert own preferred Deity) practical lesson in how we can learn to be better people and lead better more fulfilling lives........

Ah ha...
Thank you for that David
Yes, that is what I meant to say. And I have edited the post as what I have written does sound dreadful doesn't it? ....as in....feel free to go wild on the Camino!!

We must be very lucky as we've never come across any bad behaviour on any of our walksy
Some high spirits maybe which could be due to the excitement of walking the Camino .

In future, I will make sure that I preview my posts!!!
Best wishes and again thank you
Annette

Thank you for the explanation, its probably my fault however, I'm autistic so struggle interpreting conversation even at the best of times. One thing that I get better at with every pilgrim I meet.

For me as I prepped for 2 years physically, emotionally, spiritually, and considering it was something so out of character for me before I went I was truly "drawn" in some way. I walked it alone and every morning I began walking at 5 AM and most mornings under glorious stars, with some mornings the moon huge shining right on my path. The sun would rise lighting the countryside, so many beautiful sunrises. The walk changed me in so many ways that 3 months after it still shuffles through my mind the feelings and my mind trying to arrange, sort and make sense of it all. A truly spiritual experience.

I'm not sure I agree with the premise. I'm also not sure that the Camino has really changed.

Perhaps the mix of people walking it is different. But even way back, you had people doing it for purely religious reasons, those doing it for religious reasons but not really believers, those doing it just to do it or to get away from whatever demons or troubles they had at home, doing it just for contemplation or reflection.

You still had room providers and food merchants. Yes, the mix and volume has changed due to accessibility and better economics but when push comes to shove you walk the Camino for change. BTW, unless you're just a comfort only short walker to do the minimum to get a compostela, I'm not sure it's really a "holiday". There is still a lot of discomfort and maybe some pain. I'll bet there are a lot of people who thought of it as a holiday until the first case of blisters, cramps, or just plain dog tiredness set in.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very old topic of conversation. Pilgrim or Tourist? I found it thought provoking when first presented with this topic when reading Jack Hitt's "Off The Road". I wondered how it would affect my Camino that I was preparing for.

I found out, while walking, praying, hurting, enjoying, experiencing .... I was so wrapped up in my own pilgrimage and my own motivations that why others were doing it was of small interest to me.

A Camino is an individuals experience with different outlooks for the individual peregrino. “The Road To Santiago” BBC March 2018. Was a program about seven celebrates that undertake a short camino. The program just publicised the French Camino for all the wrong reasons and may have turned the French Camino into a walking holiday without a meaning for some viewers.

BUT The film “The Way” (director Emilio Estevez) I thought was a more truthful representations of the Camino. So I hope that if you complete the documentary it is a true overall representation of the joys and sadness of being a peregrino .

Maeve Gallagher

Hi Maeve,
This is what I answered to DMG's question which was similar to yours. Choose the part the interests you most. I hope it helps
I am not a man of letters and English is not my mother language and for that reason complicate to explain my concept on the matter but I will try.
I was born in a Catholic family and sin the early age I have been indoctrinate in that direction ( like I suppose all different religion do ), I was made aware of the importance of Jesus and the 12 Apostles with all the story that went with it.
About 15 years ago I watched a documentary on Santiago de Compostela and although I have non't been practising my faith for now quite a few years (after been disillusion by different priest), the fact that I had a chance to pay my respect to one of the 12 and having a chance to do it, set me up for all the caminos I have done, never mind if while doing them each time i'm telling myself " what I'm doing here?".
For next year is going to be a bit longer pilgrimage, from Proceno to Rome, because I like to have the roman equivalent of the Compostela, having done the 150 Km required, then up via the francigena way reach mount Montgenevre ito France down and up to SJPD and for the third time the French camino and for the sixt time Fisterre, Muxia, it should take (hopefully) 100/110 days and they should be around 3300 Km (all God willing).
Try to understand, I don't put the distances down to impress people but so every body else can take advantage and work out they future Camino.
This is my choice and my foolish idea of going from the tomb of San Peter in Rome to the one of San James in Santiago de Compostela carrying
the regard of SP to SJ as they ( I believe) knew each other.
During all this walking, yes passing through the various towns and villages I admire all the surrounding beauty but all that is not the purpose of my pilgrimage, in future if I want to visit any place that particularly impressed me, I then would go back another time; in practical I 'm like a horse with blinkers.
If nothing of what I have written make sense I'm sorry but that's all I can do.
Buen Camino
Ernest

The reason that led me to make the trip (French) of Santiago was the realization of a crisis that was growing in me ...... a capricious dissatisfaction of my life, surpassed and exceeded at 40 years. A momentary escape from human society, made, for some, of a race to wellbeing at all costs, to show all kinds of public affairs, cars, technological objects, clothes (even in the Church). As a believer, I thought the path could give me a bit of "light". An inner peace to cultivate.
Walking with your feet and not with the car or the means of transport.

I found glimpses of light, already in myself - in my walking in company or in solitude - in sharing inner motivations and moments of life with other pilgrims (few but there were).
But I also found several "dark" ones. People who make observations, not asked, on the model of shoes or backpack worn (hmm .... there are better products on the market), people who are in a hurry to book hostels many days before arriving (how?), People who complain (regardless) of the pilgrims of that or that other nationality (they are the usual ... noisy, uncivilized, good drinkers .....) when instead in the reality ...
People who complain about the owners of hostels for the rough ways to welcome the pilgrim, because they do not lend themselves to speak in English, for the allocation of the bed. But also the owners themselves who sometimes gave me the impression of being good "accountants")). People who run to visit that or that church to have the seal / stamp on the compostela.
But I went on, perhaps "brutally" but for me they were a photocopy of what I was avoiding (before the cammino).

I respected all the rules that a person should have when he / she is (inevitably) sharing a path together with others.
Probably I will also have made mistakes, leaving too soon people who were walking with me or casually watching those people I spoke of before. Not stopping to contemplate some important place of faith and Christian history. Some more reflection inside of me ... mea culpa.
I concluded that the Camino de Santiago was for me a "first" test, which was not as I hoped, but it is a matter of trial and we know, sometimes we need more "trials" to get a result.
I am sorry for those who defend "almost jealously a sort of" spirituality / sacredness "that they no longer find in the whole of the pilgrim's journey, but today more than ever, everyone makes his way for different reasons and if, the reason was that to be a sort of cheap holiday, I'm sure "once" it's enough for them.
I apologize if I somehow offended someone.
I wish you all a peaceful 2019.:)

The Camino means to me a religious experience. A religious pilgrimage. There were times when I have walked I was asked why I was doing it, and I would reply for religious reasons. That would often bring about a response of "oh, okay" and the discussion would end. Almost like that was not the reason they expected to hear. Like it was an atypical response. I would find that amusing, and wanted to remind them it was "The Way of Saint James" we were walking and our ultimate destination was a Catholic cathedral. You know, a church, lol, but I would refrain. I suppose they expected to hear that I was trying to find myself or getting over a divorce or contemplating a career move. The standard stereotypical reasons. Who knows.

Just about everyone who walks it who are not retired, walk it during their vacation or "holiday" time away from work. So in that sense walking the Camino could very much be considered a holiday activity. Definitely the OP was not wrong in using that term. Even the retirees who no longer need to walk the Camino during their time off from work can surely relate. Also I can definitely see the OP using the term holiday because so many the OP has talked to told them it was one to them.

Good post maeve☺ though i see you have raised lots of opinions which is good ☺ everyone has an opinion!! I think what you are doing is great and the camino is what you want it to be!! Everyone has a different reason or experience and if its for a holiday then so be it😊 its a free world and there are no rules or pre conditions!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hmmm.......okay, why not? One last kick at the cat :)

The dichotomy is not between the "pilgrim" and the "tourist", the "partier" and the "introvert" or the "spiritual seeker" or the "lover of life experience".

It's about doing.

Regardless of your "label" or those that put "labels" on you, it has been my experience that the Camino affects people.

If you do it for a month, months, a week or days, should the impact that it has on you be minimized?

Sometimes a taste of change, freedom or faith even for a short time can have an impact far in excess of its anticipated affect.

We should encourage and invite people of all "stripes and persuasions" to share this experience with us.

It has been my observation that truly happy people want others to have and feel their happiness.

When I started the Camino "experience", I found that the most profound aspects of doing this undertaking didn't manifest themselves until 3 or 4 months after.

Perhaps we should allow all those that undertake the Camino, this expectation and courtesy :)

Now before you all think I am a "complete stick in the mud", I have a "The Way" movie story that will grab your attention. I'm just waiting for the right thread :)

There is nothing cheap about going to Spain for me. At $3000 for 2 tickets plus the costs of pensiones, casa rurales, and albergues plus train tickets etc. We’re walking the Invierno route this year and it is much more expensive than the Primitivo we walked in 2017 or the Frances. So that’s my first point.
Second: taking weeks of vacation (4 to be exact) to go walk is a privilege enjoyed by very few in this world. I’m lucky and privileged to be afforded this luxury.
Third: it’s a vacation for me. Anything away from my work that is enjoyable and requires travel qualifies as a vacation for me. :)
Fourth: my husband and I both love Spain and long distance hiking. It’s my ancestral home so for us it’s touching history and being transported back in time to imagine life in the Middle Ages. And journeys made by pilgrims of old.
Fifth: we carry our own packs and walk, not bus.
Sixth: it’s not religious for us as we don’t buy into the legend of the bones mysteriously appearing in Spain. We are Catholic, btw. But for us it is a humanistic trip and not related to religion.
I consider ourselves pilgrims in search of the past and those who came before us. I have felt the presence of those souls on the Camino. It’s not a life changing experience as we aren’t looking to change anything. But it is a life enriching one.

I don’t really care about the opinions of others. The journey is ours and ours alone.

That might be more than the one word the OP wanted :) sorry.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wow! Lot's of diverging opinions - and on another forum, the discussion could easily have degenerated into something nastier...but I am pleased to note that posters on this forum appear to have respect for others and their opinions...

Just to explain why we are doing it and what it means...

We planned to do this over three years ago but 'things' got in the way...just to back up a little, my wife suggested this and then we saw the movie The Way (yeah, I know)...for me it looked like an interesting journey and I was open to whatever the experience might bring, spiritual or otherwise. My wife is far more spiritual than I (we are both lapsed Catholics) and I believe was looking for something deeper...

So, 'things' - silly at first - our Granddaughter's first birthday was to be held at our newly purchased house and so much needed doing that we didn't have the time to plan anything...

...then in 2017, my wife was diagnosed with non - Hodgkin Lymphoma (a cancer of the lymphatic system)...now that is a life changer!

So as she was having chemo, we couldn't do the Camino then - and last year, she was recovering from the damage that chemo does, so no Camino then either...now thank God, she is well and has built up here strength to the extent that we feel we can handle the distance and the time it will take...

In the intervening years, the Camino has taken on a different complexion for me...it is a re-affirmation of life and an opportunity to reflect on the more spiritual aspects that are missing from my life...

So if I was to choose a phrase of what this will mean for me...it is a time for reflection and reevaluation of one's life...

Sorry for the lengthy post...

Really interesting reading all the replies and different opinions.

My reflection of the Camino was a happy medium of a challenge yet relaxing at the same time and those two combined equaled a somewhat therapeutic experience.

As someone who was raised in a secular environment opposed to my wife and daughter who a practising Catholics, I will always cherish the memory of the Pilgrims mass that brought a tear or two to my eyes.

Maeve

Hi Maeve, it's an interesting conundrum innit. 300,000 plus people claim a Compostella for having walked to Santiago for religious or spiritual reasons and yet you never get to meet any of them on the road. Maybe they're the ones who hide in the bushes when they see someone with a video camera ;0)

I'm one of those. I walk for reasons deep in my heart; but I wouldn't share those in an Albergue chat or a bar conversation. I don't wear my pilgrimage as a badge. I don't boast my credencials. I don't even walk to Santiago, I walk to the sundering sea.

And it doesn't really matter if a 1km wide strip of rural and urban Northern Spain has become a holiday destination just like that 1km wide strip of the Costas has: because most of the people who walk that Autopista Peregrino are on pilgrimage whether they realise it or not.

The serenity...…

The Camino always has me reflecting on the below quote from Sterling Hayden.

""What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.""
Sterling Hayden, Wanderer

Hi everyone.... 'How has an ancient Christian pilgrimage from the middle ages become a popular holiday activity?' ...
Maeve Gallagher

Hello @Maeve Gallagher

Here are a couple of websites which may help with your quest in understanding how an ancient Christian pilgrimage, or any other pilgrimage in Europe for that matter, can become a popular holiday acitivity. (There are other websites besides these):

The cultural routes of the Council of Europe
https://www.coe.int/en/web/cultural-routes/home

Green Pilgrimage : Interreg Europe:
https://www.interregeurope.eu/greenpilgrimage/

If I were trying to figure out the 'How', as you are, I would also ask myself, Who is promoting El Camino de Santiago de Compostela today and why i.e. what is their motivation? Then at some point I might be tempted to ask, does it matter who promotes pilgrimage, and if so, to whom does it matter and why? ....etc etc...

Buen camino!
Lovingkindness

[edit] ps here's another website :
United Nations World Tourism Organisation
http://www2.unwto.org/search/node/tourism %26 pilgrimage

Last edited:
I have deep religious convictions so when my husband and I decided to ride the Camino de Santiago it was a no brainer for me. My husband, however, simply wanted to do it because taking a cycling holiday anywhere is his kind of bliss. To be honest, neither of us had even heard of it some five years before. Then one day out on a bike ride, we stopped and spoke to two young nuns who were on sabbatical and about to ride all the way from the UK through France and then onto the Camino route. After that, we kept bumping into people who would mention the pilgrimages they had been on. And finally, we happened across a film on the tele: The Way with Martin Sheen, and we knew we just had to do it. In 2013, we joined a coach which took us all the way to Bayonne in France where our own pilgrimage was to begin. As we were approaching the French border, I said to my husband "I feel like I'm coming home" and he said that he felt that way too. Arriving some weeks later in Santiago, neither of us wanted the trip to end and both of us felt we had achieved something much more than just a "nice biking holiday".

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is nothing cheap about going to Spain for me. At $3000 for 2 tickets plus the costs of pensiones, casa rurales, and albergues plus train tickets etc. We’re walking the Invierno route this year and it is much more expensive than the Primitivo we walked in 2017 or the Frances. So that’s my first point.
Second: taking weeks of vacation (4 to be exact) to go walk is a privilege enjoyed by very few in this world. I’m lucky and privileged to be afforded this luxury.
Third: it’s a vacation for me. Anything away from my work that is enjoyable and requires travel qualifies as a vacation for me. :)
Fourth: my husband and I both love Spain and long distance hiking. It’s my ancestral home so for us it’s touching history and being transported back in time to imagine life in the Middle Ages. And journeys made by pilgrims of old.
Fifth: we carry our own packs and walk, not bus.
Sixth: it’s not religious for us as we don’t buy into the legend of the bones mysteriously appearing in Spain. We are Catholic, btw. But for us it is a humanistic trip and not related to religion.
I consider ourselves pilgrims in search of the past and those who came before us. I have felt the presence of those souls on the Camino. It’s not a life changing experience as we aren’t looking to change anything. But it is a life enriching one.

I don’t really care about the opinions of others. The journey is ours and ours alone.

That might be more than the one word the OP wanted :) sorry.

Congratulation, that makes you an official backpacker!

Just to add my 5 cents worth, over the years a couple of phrases have become embedded in my mind, which resonate my love for travel:

"To see the world, things dangerous to come, to see behind walls, to draw closer, to find each other and to feel, that is the purpose of life." (Walter Mitty movie with Ben Stiller - The Life motto)

"I am doing the Camino once again, looking for something I left behind or perhaps never found. It's like coming home." (Extracted from 2017 Brierley guide p.55 - notes from the Pilgrim book in Roncesvalles)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The camino has become my love, my faithful friend, my solace, my renewal and refreshment.

About ten hours ago on Instagram someone posted pilgrims playing piano and singing at Grañon’s parochial albergue: I miss those moments of spontaneity.

On camino I can chose to listen to others or not. I care for: me, myself, and I far more than I do at home.

I even miss the lullaby tune of snorers as I drift off to sleep. The creaking of bunk beds. Wondering if the top bunk with no railing will find me pitched over side and onto floor in night’s middle. And, those plastic bag rattling, flashlights in your eyes folk up at crack of dawn waking me up.

In, 2001, I thought my first would be my last; not so.

I could spend hours in Ponferrada just walking around, or sit praying in Burgos’s quiet chapel. Or, even walk back and forth on meseta.

There were times while on each camino, I’d wonder if I could just walk SJPP to Fisterra and back over and over until...until I figured out the proverbial “it”. Had I been European, I might have.

I met two Americans lost on pilgrimage. By lost overstayed visas. But, I’m not quite that brave.

To quote a line from W. H. Auden the camino is: My working week and my Sunday rest.

€60,-
Hello, Maeve! I'm fairly certain that you already know from your query, "How has an ancient Christian pilgrimage from the middle ages become a popular holiday activity?", is most provocative.

Well, first off, it's not "ancient" because it HASN'T stopped living in human beings (such as myself) that still breathe and pray and basically, still lose their heads (for YOU and all others) to this very day in 2019! Wording like, "...become a popular holiday activity?" make me want to vomit in my mouth, a bit. Yet, that's okay because, it's not MY gig (it belongs to God).

What does it mean to me? Well heck, what it has meant from its conception and forever, through the future and beyooond...a Spiritual pilgrimage, silly!!! :) If there were no Christ Jesus and, there were no Saint James and there were no Don Pelayo (read about the Battle at Covadonga!), there would be NO 'reconquista'. Therefore, there would be no Northern Spain Caminos at all! BUMMER!!! How sad might THAT be?!

Here's just one definition:
pilgrimage
[ pil-gruh-mij ]
SEE MORE SYNONYMS FOR pilgrimage ON THESAURUS.COM
noun
a journey, especially a long one, made to some sacred place as an act of religious devotion:a pilgrimage to Lourdes.
Islam .

1. the Pilgrimage, hajj.
  2. ʿumrah.
any long journey, especially one undertaken as a quest or for a votive purpose, as to payhomage:a pilgrimage to the grave of Shakespeare.
verb (used without object), pil·grim·aged, pil·grim·ag·ing.
to make a pilgrimage.

Clearly, the Camino (referring to the CF) has become more than a religious or spiritual pilgrimage for many participants, although I like the idea that the "pilgrimage' aspect is still at the heart of it. But for many, it is simply an adventure, and a wonderful one at that. And that's how I initially viewed it. But even a non-religious cynic like me can't avoid recognizing and appreciating the religious/spiritual nature of it. I think on both my CF's I went into every church, big and small, I passed. And on at least one occasion, during a Pilgrims' Mass in O Cebriero, I had a few moments that tested my cynicism. I have had many friends ask me why and what I liked about walking the CF. Although I still think of it as a fascinating adventure, I realize there's something far more fundamental and visceral about it. So, when answering friends' queries, I say something to the effect of, "You know what your day-to-day life is like now. But imagine an extended period--say 35-40 days--in which your only responsibility is to walk, periodically refuel in bars, check into accommodations at the end of the day, eat, socialize and drink Sangria (could be any beverage but Sangria just felt right) with people from all over the world who are all headed in the same direction on the same path with the same goal. And that all happens along an 800 km string of hamlets and towns with history, character and charm interspersed with beautiful countryside." But, ultimately, once the walk is completed, our lasting memories are likely to be the people we meet and spend time with.

Well, first of all, future posters, calm down. The title of the project has been changed to "How has an ancient Christian pilgrimage from the Middle Ages become a popular activity?" and if you walk with open eyes there's no denying that Camino de Santiago walking has become a popular activity. The word "holiday" is gone although I have the feeling that the majority of pilgrims do this during the time when they don't have to work or go to school or uni and this time period is commonly called "during my holidays".

And secondly, I hope that @Maeve Gallagher got an A+. 🙂

Maeve, what is a "project qualification" actually? Well done in any case!

BTW, Maeve has come to the conclusion that social media plays an important role for the contemporary increase in popularity of the pilgrimage/camino to Santiago. I'd say "modern media". Without social media, but also books, travelogues, movies, TV reports, local newspaper articles, photos and videos that are cheap to make en masse and can be shown without great effort or investment to any kind of audience ... without all this it would not have become the global phenomenon that it is.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Maeve

IMHO, What makes the Camino different is that it is a pilgrimage. It is a walk towards a holy place. If you take out the element of it being a pilgrimage then it is just a trail hike. I believe, what you encountered in the camino are just walkers who happened to be in the Camino much like you encounter hikers in PCT, AT or any trail hike.

It is a walk towards a holy place.
Not that it matters much but that's a kind of simplified definition. It fits the contemporary camino walker but an ancient (medieval Christian) pilgrimage is a journey a pilgrim makes to a sacred place for the purpose of venerating the saint associated with this place or to ask for aid from the saint or to thank the saint.

Wow. Just read this entire thread, it got quite hairy for a while.

First even though it's probably too late I'll answer the op's original question. Community is the word I'd use to describe the camino for me and a fairly diverse community at that as witnessed by the spectrum of opinions seen here. The closeness I feel to people I meet on Camino is the drug that makes me want to keep going back.

Now for the continuation of the lively discourse. I have, as a secularist, to take a little exception to @RumAndChupacabras statement "Well, first off, it's not "ancient" because it HASN'T stopped living in human beings (such as myself) that still breathe and pray and basically, still lose their heads (for YOU and all others) to this very day in 2019!" The Camino had essentially ceased to exist by the 1970s with if memory serves its nadir being a year when only 14 compostelas were issued. The attribution of World Heritage Site status by UNESCO (a non-religeous organisation) in 1985 was when we saw numbers really start to grow from well under 3,000 in 1986 to the 300,000 we saw last year. As such whatever we each imagine the Camino is today I think it's hard to say it's anything like the same as in the middle ages. Taking this into consideration I think @Maeve Gallagher's title and subject is an interesting one to consider. Given this I'd hope that both believers and non-believers alike could be just a little more generous in spirit to eachother and happily share this wonderful walk.

I hope I have chosen my words sufficiently carefully so as not to offend anyone but if I have I wholeheartedly apologise.

Rob.

The Camino for me is exactly what it says, it's a path. There is freedom in every step for me. Nothing magical happens on arrival anywhere, necessarily. It is the journey itself, not the brass ring at the end of the trail. The ongoing reality of processing the experience, step by step, sometimes alone, and sometimes with others, is what makes it so very special for me. When I return I spend no fewer than 30 days dreaming every night of walking-relishing the joy inherent in the experience. It is like cleaning out your brain, refreshing your soul, and reflecting on the meaning of life itself without a care in the world. Is that spiritual? Some might thinks so, I don't think it needs a label. I have met wonderful people and been inspired by their joy for life. You just never know what you'll discover.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes my brother who died on the 3rd of October 2013 on the Camino very young said he was going to thank god for all that he had in his life. He was happy to be free.
He went after my son died on the 11 Of May 2013.
I believe he got some greatness from the walk esp meeting like minded people
keep happy peregrines and be safe

When I return I spend no fewer than 30 days dreaming every night of walking-relishing the joy inherent in the experience.

Haha... its been 2 years since my last camino and it feels like eternity. As far as I can recall, I’ve been thinking of Camino everyday since then...

...and read of people who start the Camino for purely secular reasons but, by the time it is done, do find that it has had a deep and meaningful spiritual or religious impact on them. I think it would make an equally great documentary.

That would make a superb, documentary!

Yes my brother who died on the 3rd of October 2013 on the Camino very young said he was going to thank god for all that he had in his life. He was happy to be free.
He went after my son died on the 11 Of May 2013.
I believe he got some greatness from the walk esp meeting like minded people
keep happy peregrines and be safe
That must have been a very difficult year for your personally, joanjf. To lose two such close family members could knock anybody back. I am sure your brother would have got a lot of joy and solace on his personal Camino. It is just sad that he never reached home and shared his experiences with you.

Maeve Gallagher
2013-homage to fathers

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back