• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What does this say?

peregrina2000

Staff member
I suppose there’s really no reason to post this in the Torres sub forum, other than that’s where I saw it.

These boxes were piled up alongside a very untraveled road, probably about 15 km outside Amarante. All of them had the same writing on the side. 62AABD4A-C98D-4DC5-AD4A-AABC7F58C83C.jpeg97757BEF-BF0C-43F6-ADA5-6BE024B571CE.jpeg

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I’m not even sure what language it is, maybe Japanese? I’m more curious about what it says and why those boxes are here in Northern Portugal!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did a little magic by taking a photo
20220920_181800.jpg

and then using Google translate.
The resulting translation is
( 70 ) 19 Then your 1528 ( 70128).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did the same. I wonder why we got different results.
View attachment 133325
I think your translation is more appropriate than mine!

If I use your translation ie
Hyosung (Gumi) sashimi Juyong-(Ju, Hyosung (Gumi) Ho, Nong)

Google derects the language as Japanese and for English gives

Hyo size g (gummy) Sashimi juyoungg (tree, Hyo size g (gummy) ho, nong)

Last edited:
With this translation whimsy I am totally confused. Maybe all these boxes contained gummy candies!!

Wondering what is meant recalls a old memory from half a lifetime ago hiking alone in rural Japan and knowing no Japanese I could only order by pointing (!!) and thus ate/drank only what I could see. Sweets were almost impossible to spot but containers of chocolate milk were often sold from small self-service kiosks which resembled mail boxes. Thus I happily 'had a few too many' chocolate milks every day to calm my craving for sugar.

I suppose there’s really no reason to post this in the Torres sub forum, other than that’s where I saw it.

These boxes were piled up alongside a very untraveled road, probably about 15 km outside Amarante. All of them had the same writing on the side. View attachment 133321View attachment 133322

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I’m not even sure what language it is, maybe Japanese? I’m more curious about what it says and why those boxes are here in Northern Portugal!
Might those boxes be used to pack a product from those nearby trees? There also a plant named Amarante perhaps this is cultivated here.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's definitely Korean on those pallets. More to the point, what's in the background looks like cork oaks, cork is headed to a company whose name and location in Korea is stamped on the pallets?
That might be so, although my first thought was that these pallets have been discarded following use. The numbers would indicate a fairly substantial delivery if that were the case, but the pallets might have been moved here waiting return or more permanent disposal.

I agree with @dougfitz. It is unlikely that a non-eu pallet would be used for outbound shipments, let alone pallets from Korea. Then I did a quick google search and came up with this link, and now I can only imagine that these pallets were for a shipment of Korean wives.

I post this jokingly, but it is legitimately what came up in my search. Very bizarre.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
They are not boxes. They are pallets. Goods are stacked on them and a fork lift can pick them up to load them for shipping.

Hyosung is a Korean Industrial conglomerate that makes many products. Possibly the most well known is the Hyosung motorcycle.

These boxes were piled up alongside a very untraveled road, probably about 15 km outside Amarante. All of them had the same writing on the side. View attachment 133321View attachment 133322

Which side of Amarante? I'm in town now cycling south tomorrow (Thursday) towards Mesao Frio, I'll look out for the boxes / pallets. Richard aka Skinnybiker2

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Which side of Amarante? I'm in town now cycling south tomorrow (Thursday) towards Mesao Frio, I'll look out for the boxes / pallets. Richard aka Skinnybiker2
Hi, if you’re coming south from Amarante you will see them on your left at some spot on the little country road that connects lots of villages while a busy road is always above you.

Maybe you can figure out what they were used for. I think the two options are that either there was going to be an export of something to this company in Korea (which never happened) or Hyo-Sung sent a lot of boxes of some unknown products to Portugal.

I think your translation is more appropriate than mine!

If I use your translation ie
Hyosung (Gumi) sashimi Juyong-(Ju, Hyosung (Gumi) Ho, Nong)

Google derects the language as Japanese and for English gives

Hyo size g (gummy) Sashimi juyoungg (tree, Hyo size g (gummy) ho, nong)
!!! It is not Japanese, it is Korean. Google Translate sucks compared to non-artificial intelligence, but it usually does better than that! But the mention of sashimi reminds me of a pet peeve. Sashimi is raw fish. Sushi is not raw fish, though sometimes it contains sashimi. (I don't speak either language, but I've studied both.) I started typing it (to avoid OCR errors) but the first syllable of the second line is missing a vowel. I stopped when I noticed that there is already a response from an actual Korean person.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree with @dougfitz. It is unlikely that a non-eu pallet would be used for outbound shipments, let alone pallets from Korea. Then I did a quick google search and came up with this link, and now I can only imagine that these pallets were for a shipment of Korean wives.

I post this jokingly, but it is legitimately what came up in my search. Very bizarre.
Google software analyzes your behavior to give you ads for what you might want. I am an amateur linguist, and I keep getting offered women in countries where a language I work on is spoken. Even though I almost always use DuckDuckGo. (I often refer to Google as NSA's biggest competitor.)

But a word with two meanings is also possible. My friend who was born in Mexico has been in USA since he was five. One day he was translating for the police and couldn't figure out why the person wanted to "get rid of the "wives." Turns out 'esposas' is slang for handcuffs. (And "muñeca" is both 'doll' and 'wrist')

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back