• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What gear is the lightest in your pack?

jo webber

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 9th 2017
Through out the posts there are items mentioned that are very light weight choices, or items people have made, cut down etc. Having much of the information in one thread might help many searching to lower their pack weight.
Mine is a wind jacket that weights 1.7oz. Learned about it on the forum.
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...=us&hl=en&q=+wind+jacket+1.7+oz+montane+women

What did you find, or make, that helped lower the weight you carry?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Carrying far too much stuff over the Pyrenees on the first day will soon help you lighten your load.

However "light" shouldn't be your only criteria, if a thing is light but not durable and lets you down when you need it is it worth taking?

I now make three piles:

1 things I must have with me
2 things I'd like to have with me
3 things that "might come in handy"

Set aside everything in pile 3

make three piles out of what is left

Set aside everything in pile 3 . . .

And if I get it wrong I'll beg, borrow or buy a solution.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But I still have a couple of pile 3 items in my backpack.

Most of us could probably say the same. Here in the urban wilds of Lost Angeles my lightweight every-day-carry items include a cigarette lighter wrapped with a length of hemp wick (fire-starting), a small but accurate sighting compass, a packet of dental floss (for cordage), and my multi-tool. Rest assured that they, along with one 800-ml stainless water bottle, will be riding in my pack on the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

That’s easy – my smartphone.
I no longer carry:

A camera
A paperback book
A head torch
A Spanish phrasebook
A guide book
Maps
A compass
A watch
An alarm clock
Air tickets
Travel insurance
Hotel bookings

Geez, no wonder everyone is looking at their smartphone every minute of the day . . . .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Your remark triggered a weird response here: I just checked (for the first time in the 35 years I've lived in Breda, Holland) the altitude of my city compared to sea-level. Big sigh of relief: 3 meters above.

You'll be fine. (Just park your canoe next to the front door...);)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Through out the posts there are items mentioned that are very light weight choices, or items people have made, cut down etc. Having much of the information in one thread might help many searching to lower their pack weight.
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...=us&hl=en&q=+wind+jacket+1.7+oz+montane+women

Sorry, I was jesting before....:oops:
I found that lightweight items usually came with a heavy price tag and yes, I do own a few of those now. They are not necessary, just a luxury.

I walked my first caminos with stuff I already owned (old, therefore light because a bit worn ). I still take most of them with me :rolleyes:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Sleeping bag liner

For when the San Andreas Fault produces an 8.0 earthquake.... :eek:o_O:eek:o_O
Why do us humans insist on living where we should not?
You in LA. folks up in San Francisco. Both just waiting for the big one.
Over a million people now in Las Vegas with no water. New Orleans under sea level and myself moving down the Jersey shore on the water with super storm Sandy fresh in my memory.
Crazy lol

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Why do us humans insist on living where we should not?
You in LA. folks up in San Francisco. Both just waiting for the big one.
Over a million people now in Las Vegas with no water. New Orleans under sea level and myself moving down the Jersey shore on the water with super storm Sandy fresh in my memory.
Crazy lol

Sadly, there is no completely-safe place in the world. Back in the early 1930s a scientist, fed up with all the military-political bullstuff, moved to a nondescript, nearly-deserted island way out in the middle of nowhere.

The island's nearest neighbor was one called Guadalcanal.

Sadly, there is no completely-safe place in the world. Back in the early 1930s a scientist, fed up with all the military-political bullstuff, moved to a nondescript, nearly-deserted island way out in the middle of nowhere.

The island's nearest neighbor was one called Guadalcanal.
Guadalcanal? Good God lol
I understand you are right, no definite safe place.
But we don't even try to put the odds in our favor
You have to admit, with LA, SF, NO, LV and the Eastern seaboard we had amble warning before the population explosions

Let us return to our regularly-scheduled thread: What gear is the lightest in your pack?

Besides the nice-to-haves I previously mentioned, I really don't know which item of my other gear is lightest. At this stage of preparation I'm not really all that weight-conscious.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I no longer carry:

A camera
A paperback book
A head torch
A Spanish phrasebook
A guide book
Maps
A compass
A watch
An alarm clock
Air tickets
Travel insurance
Hotel bookings

Geez, no wonder everyone is looking at their smartphone every minute of the day . . . .

Great, as long as you can find a place to recharge the battery, and the battery hasn't failed, and you haven't misplaced the charger. ;)

Don't misunderstand; I use my smartphone for almost all of those functions. I just have lo-tech/no-tech backups for the more critical ones.

One of my favorite proverbs: "To be sure, the prudent man wears a belt AND suspenders.":D

Not to travel to far off subject but how about doing a few practice hikes
( 10-20 km ) back home with a full backpack of everything you would like to bring. Too heavy? Decide what you don't need.
If you have no problem carrying it? Bring it

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Carrying far too much stuff over the Pyrenees on the first day will soon help you lighten your load.

However "light" shouldn't be your only criteria, if a thing is light but not durable and lets you down when you need it is it worth taking?

I now make three piles:

1 things I must have with me
2 things I'd like to have with me

make three piles out of what is left

Set aside everything in pile 3 . . .

And if I get it wrong I'll beg, borrow or buy a solution.

AND remember that Camino Rule Two is "The Camino Provides..." Things you need just have a way of appearing, or an opportunity to obtain presents itself...

Do not worry. It WILL all work out...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Mmmokay ...

Lessee, pile 3 includes items like:
  • Band aids
  • Blister pack
  • Paracetamol, ibuprofen, antihistamin, heart magnyl, etc.
  • Safety pins
  • Rain gear (it doesn't rain on every camino)
  • Ear plugs
  • Health insurance card
  • Travel insurance
  • Repair kit
  • Bed bug sheet
OK, I'm being cross :p In general, it's a good principle ;)

And there are some things you certainly don't need, but that are good to bring, like a heavy heart - the camino weight-loss plan for hearts :D

...wind jacket that weights 1.7oz. Learned about it on the forum.

I have a similar wind jacket that is so soft I can sleep in it if necessary - it's quite warm! BTWIN Ultra Light. Got it at Decathlon for about € 25. It is a wee bit heavier at 70gm / less than 3 oz. I LOVE it!! Great under poncho - feels so much nicer than the dampness that accumulates.

€149,-

I have a similar windbreaker from Montbell. It lists the weight at 1.4 ounces, but I imagine that is for a small. I bought a large, because I found that they ran small, and it's 1.6 ounces.

Ya know something? I just figured out my CPS (Camino Packing Strategy). It's nothing new, so don't go rushing off to grab pencil and paper.

I'm not going to worry so much about the weights of individual items. If I need to reduce my pack-weight I'll just pack fewer things, even if I have to eliminate second-pile items.

For several reasons that I won't go into here, my chosen sleeping bag weighs a whopping 1 kilo. I've done my homework; this is the one I need. Period. Paragraph. End of story. I'll make up for the "additional" weight, if necessary, by carrying fewer items of "extra" clothing beyond socks, base layer, insulating layer, wind/waterproof shell, o-so-cool hat, etc. I may not always smell like roses, but....

Knowing my body and metabolism as I do, and as long as I can get decent breakfasts and dinners, I really don't need to carry additional foodstuffs. On the other hand I do need lots of water, so it may sometimes appear that I'm sprouting disposable water bottles from every pocket.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I no longer carry:

A camera
A paperback book
A head torch
A Spanish phrasebook
A guide book
Maps
A compass
A watch
An alarm clock
Air tickets
Travel insurance
Hotel bookings

:D But now I carry a extra battery for a last minute charge - but a good trade off!

Great, as long as you can find a place to recharge the battery, and the battery hasn't failed, and you haven't misplaced the charger. ;) "To be sure, the prudent man wears a belt AND suspenders.":D

:D Thus the extra battery!

Joy; you know that Camino lightness of being!
Then comes my prepaid visa travel card

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mmmokay ...

Lessee, pile 3 includes items like:
  • Band aids
  • Blister pack
  • Paracetamol, ibuprofen, antihistamin, heart magnyl, etc.
  • Safety pins
  • Rain gear (it doesn't rain on every camino)
  • Ear plugs
  • Health insurance card
  • Travel insurance
  • Repair kit
  • Bed bug sheet
OK, I'm being cross :p In general, it's a good principle ;)

And there are some things you certainly don't need, but that are good to bring, like a heavy heart - the camino weight-loss plan for hearts :D

Nope, I think ALL of those are must haves!

You've been on a camino and it didn't rain? Can I come with you next time?

Last August/September walked from Pamplona and suffered through a heatwave until the very last day when it poured down and out came the Altus I'd carried the whole way (because it was a must have!)

Nope, I think ALL of those are must haves!
Ah, but they have all turned out to be "might come in handy" for me ;)

The only of those items I used last time, was the blister kit, when I switched to a bad pair of socks. Paracetamol, not very often. I have rarely needed the ear plugs. My rain gear and the safety pins have seen frequent use. The rest never. I don't even own a bug sheet.

You've been on a camino and it didn't rain?
Yep, Ingles and on to Muxia and Fisterre April-May this year. Not a single drop during those 14 days :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ah, but they have all turned out to be "might come in handy" for me ;)

The only of those items I used last time, was the blister kit, when I switched to a bad pair of socks. Paracetamol, not very often. I have rarely needed the ear plugs. My rain gear and the safety pins have seen frequent use. The rest never. I don't even own a bug sheet.

Yep, Ingles and on to Muxia and Fisterre April-May this year. Not a single drop during those 14 days :)
D'oh was supposed to the Ingles in May but didn't feel fit enough!

Possibly my nail file, but to share its success I'm going to say a scarf vs taking a towel. My first Camino I used the typical smelly towel bought at REI. Second I used a scarf that I tied around myself.
This past Camino all six of us used nice absorbent scarves and were happy

I carry a packet of instant H2O. It's very lightweight, and when you get thirsty, just stop at a fountain and add water ;):D:rolleyes:

All we can get here in Utah is dehydrated water. It is pretty much the same but I don't think the flavor is quite as good.

Most of us could probably say the same. Here in the urban wilds of Lost Angeles my lightweight every-day-carry items include a cigarette lighter wrapped with a length of hemp wick (fire-starting), a small but accurate sighting compass, a packet of dental floss (for cordage), and my multi-tool. Rest assured that they, along with one 800-ml stainless water bottle, will be riding in my pack on the Camino.
You dont need a compass. If you cant follow the yellow arrows, a compass will be of no use to you. Drop the multi tool too. A light knife with corkscrew is sufficient. And unless you are camping and not stopping in albergues, why would you want to light a fire. Even the water bottle I now leave behind and buy bottled water along the way. When the bottle is empty, I dont throw it away, I refill at the next fountain. Keep it for a few days then dispose of it and buy a new one. There goes some weight for you

€149,-
(With acknowledgement to a previous thread) - If I could only get rid of all the air in my pack, it would be so much lighter.

D'oh was supposed to the Ingles in May but didn't feel fit enough!
If you are not in a hurry, the longer stages can be broken up.

Doing Ferrol-Neda-Pontedeume the first day, like quite a few did, may be starting out a bit too hard for some. I'd either stop at Neda the first day, or take the bridge.

Betanzos to Hospital de Bruma can be broken up, as there is an albergue somewhere in the middle.

For Bruma to Sigüero is longish, but I recall it as easy (apart from my effing socks).

You dont need a compass. If you cant follow the yellow arrows, a compass will be of no use to you.
I ALWAYS bring a small compass (all of 7 gram heavy), and it has been a good tool many times, including on the camino. At home, I have one on my key chain, and I have one fastened to each of my packs.

My compass has been a good help/crutch walking route Napoleon in a fog. Arrows are not always evident in a fog.

I've used it in the winding streets of Pamplona, after darkness, and perhaps a bit too much wine, got most of my little group turned around. Close to "lockout" time, I had to use my compass to convince them that the albergue in fact was in the opposite direction. No arrows to help you in that situation.

In the woods after Sigüero, there is an arrow that is evidently easily overlooked, as I've heard of several others, beside me, who walked/talked past that alleged arrow. A short application of map, compass, and a bit of common sense, easily corrected that problem. There aren't that many arrows, if you miss a turn.

Those that walk in darkness (early morning) sometimes have problems seeing some of the arrows.

And then there are the false arrows.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You dont need a compass. If you cant follow the yellow arrows, a compass will be of no use to you. Drop the multi tool too. A light knife with corkscrew is sufficient. And unless you are camping and not stopping in albergues, why would you want to light a fire. Even the water bottle I now leave behind and buy bottled water along the way. When the bottle is empty, I dont throw it away, I refill at the next fountain. Keep it for a few days then dispose of it and buy a new one. There goes some weight for you

As I mentioned, and except for the water bottle, I carry these items with me now, every day, everywhere I go -- even on the streets of Lost Angeles. I'll not leave them behind when I walk the Camino.

But thank you just the same.

Last edited:
I ALWAYS bring a small compass (all of 7 gram heavy), and it has been a good tool many times, including on the camino. At home, I have one on my key chain, and I have one fastened to each of my packs.

My compass has been a good help/crutch walking route Napoleon in a fog. Arrows are not always evident in a fog.

I've used it in the winding streets of Pamplona, after darkness, and perhaps a bit too much wine, got most of my little group turned around. Close to "lockout" time, I had to use my compass to convince them that the albergue in fact was in the opposite direction. No arrows to help you in that situation.

In the woods after Sigüero, there is an arrow that is evidently easily overlooked, as I've heard of several others, beside me, who walked/talked past that alleged arrow. A short application of map, compass, and a bit of common sense, easily corrected that problem. There aren't that many arrows, if you miss a turn.

Those that walk in darkness (early morning) sometimes have problems seeing some of the arrows.

And then there are the false arrows.
Thank you.

With all due respect, THIS is what I carry, every-danged-day-of-the-week, here in the wilds of downtown Lost Angeles. Why in the world would I want to leave any of this behind on the Camino?

To lighten your own load, you may wish to consider leaving your snark in Ireland.

I'm just sayin'....

Attachments

• Glenn EDC Items.jpg
    Glenn EDC Items.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

€46,-
With all due respect, THIS is what I carry, every-danged-day-of-the-week, here in the wilds of downtown Lost Angeles. Why in the world would I want to leave any of this behind on the Camino?

To lighten your own load, you may wish to consider leaving your snark in Ireland.

I'm just sayin'....

I think a time out is called for!

I don't think @tmcphugh was being snarky Glenn. The original post was about lightening the load.

If, for your own peace of mind, you want to include your EDC items in your Camino pack that's up to you - you have to haul it.

When I was doing backwoods surveys in NW Ontario back in the 70's part of our EDC was a flare pistol to scare off bears (we were told we couldn't shoot them). A great idea for its time and place - wouldn't want to carry on across Spain though (probably illegal anyhow).

@tmcphugh just gave an opinion with some very valid points - you shouldn't need a compass, you shouldn't need a lighter (unless you smoke) and plastic water bottles ARE lighter than a large, and you shouldn't need the CS4. But if YOU want to then that's fine.

Part of the fun of the Camino is leaving behind every day life, even if only for a few weeks, but each to his/her/undecided's own.

G'nite world, time for bed.

@tmcphugh just gave an opinion with some very valid points - you shouldn't need a compass, you shouldn't need a lighter (unless you smoke) and plastic water bottles ARE lighter than a large, and you shouldn't need the CS4.

Jeff,

It wasn't WHAT @tpmchugh said, but HOW he said it. His exact words: " If you cant follow the yellow arrows, a compass will be of no use to you." That, at least here among us unenlightened colonists, is snark. I'll take this no farther, and neither should you.

Regards from the colonies,

- Glenn

Last edited:
OK, enough. Back to the OP's question please.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.