• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What gear should I cut?

skotzko

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2022: Frances + Primitivo
Think I overpacked, trying to shed gear. Wondering...

1) how cold it gets? I have merino LS base layer. Curious if I need my warmer mid layer also, or if a LS base layer and rain jacket is enough?

2) how essential is a first aid kit?

3) How much water do I need to carry? I have 2x 1.2L bottles. That's 2.4kg right there.

Route:
- Walking CF starting tomorrow from SJPP to Leon (June 6-26)
- Camino Salvador from Leon to Oviedo (June 27-July 1)
- Camino Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago (July 3-17)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think you’ll be OK without the mid layer - do you have something else you can add onin case of emergency?

Take one bottle. Supplement with a 500ml mineral water bottle if needed. It can be reused. Obviously.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

1) how cold it gets? I have merino LS base layer. Curious if I need my warmer mid layer also, or if a LS base layer and rain jacket is enough?

3) How much water do I need to carry? I have 2x 1.2L bottles. That's 2.4kg right there.

Route:
1.LS+rainjacket day is fine .
2.Depends if you need to bring something specific , my first aid kit is leukotape + magnesium .
3.Again it depends how much water you drink + how long are your stages . Still I think that more than 1 liter bottle is overkill even in June/July . There are a lot of water taps/bars and stores on CF. The only time I ran out of water on Primitivo was when I decided to walk fromBerducedo to A Fonsagrada and forgot to refill my bottle in Castro , but that was on me :)

Thank you! I just took my pack apart and repacked / dropped items.

Dropped the midlayer. With the LS base + rain jacket + beanie, I'll be fine unless it's REALLY cold. I run hot anyway.

Dropped most of the first aid kit. Kept the antiseptic wipes + small advil etc packets which weigh basically nothing.

I'll keep the second bottle for now but just not fill it up.

I highly doubt you will encounter any cold weather on a June through July Camino. Cool weather sometimes, but when I walked it in June through July it was shorts and t-shirts everyday for me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Route:

I would bring a thin insulation layer in combination with a merino tee and a windbreaker / rain jacket.

It can get cold in the mountains and windy on the meseta. You might just need it in the mornings and evenings. But it's nice to have when you need it.

I've been walking more than 5 years all year round and kept optimizing my packing list for the seasons:
https://camino.ninja/packlist

I used my first aid kit sometimes. Less than once per camino. But very convenient when you need it.

San Salvador have days without water during the day and you have to carry for the whole day.

Best
Andy

Last edited:

Route:
Basic first aid is essential... bandaids, and polysporin. You shouldn't need more than that... and I'd skip the mid layer... rain coats are great windbreakers and keep you snug. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I bought to base layer tops, not needed them and could have gone without them. We have a fleece that we use if we get cold at night as we are sleeping in sleeping liners rather than bags.

Also, we are carrying just 1 water bottle each and the filling areas have been plentiful along the route 😃

P.S. We are ditching the flags as from today (Jubilee finishes today 👍)ACS_0402.jpg

Buen Camino!

Route:
Lose a water bottle and all warm clothing! It's getting hot out there. Don't carry a sleeping bag, just a silk liner. I don't carry a jacket as after 500m of walking I'm warm enough. I do carry a First Aid Kit but have rarely used it. Comppeds are essential for me. Carry a poncho in case it rains.

Als
Thank you! I just took my pack apart and repacked / dropped items.

Dropped the midlayer. With the LS base + rain jacket + beanie, I'll be fine unless it's REALLY cold. I run hot anyway.

Dropped most of the first aid kit. Kept the antiseptic wipes + small advil etc packets which weigh basically nothing.

I'll keep the second bottle for now but just not fill it up.
For first aid, there are farmacias everywhere. Although doesn’t help in the middle of the trail.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
All you really need for a first aid kit is some strapping, plasters and a small antiseptic tube; perhaps, if you are likely to suffer, some diarrhoea tablets. I would take the extra water bottle, as they weigh almost nothing when empty: extra water is sometimes needed in very hot weather and it may be useful if you buy a can or carton of drink and need only half of it at first. I agree with those who have said that the mid-layer is superfluous. Buen Camino. Tom

Route:
Dump the cold weather gear. One pair of shoes and I like arm sun sleeves.

Good advice so far above. And I’m jealous of your itinerary! There is a heat wave warning for Spain next week, so it’ll be hot hot hot. But I’m not sure about high up in the mountains. It might be a bit chilly early mornings and in the evenings.

In Galicia, for me, even with 12C pre-dawn mornings, I wore a tshirt and shorts. Occasionally with my rain jacket which I will drop off within the first 10 minutes. It’s because soon it will be hot, to me even 20-22C under the sun, not in shade, is very hot. Sometimes I grin when I passed Spanish pilgrims in their puffer jackets and I was in tshirt and shorts. But this is why each advice is very personal/specific to an individual!

Have you checked your electronics? My clothes weren’t heavy and didn’t take that much space. But I seem to have heavy adaptors and too many different USB leads. Next time I will look into my electronics and shed some weight here.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.